Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Curious about stealth portion: if you got caught is the alert status permanent or can the villagers eventually lose your tail after awhile? 

From what I can tell, the villager who spots you alerts pretty much everyone in the vicinity and it feels like everyone within the area knows that you are there.  If you happen to kill everyone before any new people show up then it resets the alert status.  The music will pretty much let you know if they're aware of you or not...USUALLY.  I just had an instance where I had to go get the gas for the boat and I was trying to sneak up on the bull head man with the hammer to get a stealth stab in and this granny with the pitchfork was walking the other way casually.  I didn't have any indication that she knew I was there UNTIL she pitchforked me. 

It's also really going to depend on they area that you're in too cause if you're in a siege area like the village then it doesn't matter, once you're spotted everyone who spawns into the field knows you're there.

I just finished getting the gas for the boat so I'm about to be on my way to being fish food next time I play.  I'm starting to get the hang of the game and having a ton of fun but I really can't stress enough the difference in aggression between the normal and hardcore modes.  I'm watching my wife play earlier and their moving towards her and kinda shambling but it feels like they're blitzing you at all times.  Luckily cheesing them at a ladder where there is clearly no way around aside from coming up the ladder works.  Also find out the hard way that apparently when a Ganado is in the process of turning and they start standing up that they have some super armor on cause I def put 4 shot gun shells into a rising body and it just ate all of them with no flinch.  Wasn't even sure I was doing damage.

8 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I am loving RE4R. Fully upgrading the knife is a must. It's the only way to take full advantage of the new mechanics and they are great. I found parries very useful in crowd control situations to setup melee attacks. No more getting caught by surprise by granny.

Stealth kills are another good addition. I doubt it is possible to get through another section without getting caught but it's good to go stealth to save on resources. If I can get at least three stealth kills without getting caught I did good.

I also like what it did with the merchant. He has an actual personality rather than being a guy who spews awesome one-liners. His new lines are awesome too.

Destroying all the wind up Salazar figures unlocks a knife that is unbreakable once permanently upgraded. I haven't been leaning on parries enough, I keep forgetting about them in combat- will definitely make that more of a focus on repeat playthroughs.

The abundance of content just keeps piling up... so "Have a Nice Death" is already out on Switch (25 bucks); I forgot it was about to be released this soon....I just noticed while browsing "recent releases".  I already have it on Steam Deck but I'll most likely get this version as well.

Remnant From the Ashes is out as well for 39.99--I have this on XB1 and it's a good one.

...AND Kung Fury for 20.  I never played that when it was originally out (it was either XB1 or from the 360 "Live Arcade" days)

I also got Squad 51 vs. the Flying Saucers (*also on sale at the moment) when it released about a week or 2 ago, but I've only played a little of it.

random sales--Capcom Fighting Collection is 20 bucks right now; 1 day remaining.

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

My wife surprised me with an early birthday present! PS5 Master race, I have joined thee!

spacer.png

@purbeastWwill the old PSVR work with a PS5? Been thinking about getting it hooked back up and this would be a good excuse if it's compatible.

Yeah as mentioned you need some adapter, but Sony sends it to you for free.  You have to fill out some form and they will mail it out to you.  At least that is how it was pre-release, not sure if they changed it.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

That Zelda footage was so fucking good.

This fuse ability is going to be wild af.  People are going to be messing around with this for MONTHS.

Edit:  The devs have clearly been watching people messing around in BotW with the physics and decided to lean even further into it to let people mess around.  This is amazing!

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

This fuse ability is going to be wild af.  People are going to be messing around with this for MONTHS.

Edit:  The devs have clearly been watching people messing around in BotW with the physics and decided to leave even further into it to let people mess around.  This is amazing!

They've definitely seen all the bomb launching and air craft building.

Edit:  Yes BOTW is rather washed out on the Switch for some reason.

Double Edit: Heeeey Elden Ring got Ray Tracing. Like every game I've ever played with it, it fucking sucks and I turned it off immediately lol.

Edited by RSG3

Well, for the D&D fans this is about to go live in a minute, I just noticed.

this reminds me---that first trailer for the new movie looked bad, imo... but the 2nd trailer they released is much better; a bit more serious in tone like a "real deal" action-fantasy adventure kind of thing that I might care to see at some point, perhaps later on video. (still not quite on the level something I'd want to see at theaters asap)

20 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Curious to anyone playing a lot of RE4 Remake (as in, maybe on a second playthrough): is there any reason to NOT use auto-sort with the attache case? It's been a god send for me, but maybe there's something I'm not considering.

There no reason not to use it. It's a huge time saver. I don't use it often as I actually like playing Tetris with inventory lol.

23 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Curious to anyone playing a lot of RE4 Remake (as in, maybe on a second playthrough): is there any reason to NOT use auto-sort with the attache case? It's been a god send for me, but maybe there's something I'm not considering.

If I was to take a wild guess what the difference would be, it might be dependent on exactly how much space you need and  what you're trying to tetris and fit into the case.   I don't have any full evidence of this yet but I'm betting say like you have a a near full case and  you pick up a herb and it doesn't fit as your case is currently but you have 2 empty spots that are on opposite sides of the case.    I'm betting that auto sort isn't going to arrange your case to get those 2 spots together so you can fit in that herb.  You'll probably have to manually tetris it it.  My case right now is pretty full so I'll mess around with it if an opportunity arrives.

51 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I went into a lot of stores when Metroid Prime Remastered was nowhere to be found, and none of the shelves looked as empty as the shelves in this video.

EDIT:

Watching it more, I really like their point about opening the SNES and then opening a buncha games for Xmas, and how different it would have been opening the SNES and then an eShop card.  I never thought about it in that way but that would not be the same experience as a kid at all.

Edited by purbeast
35 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

If I was to take a wild guess what the difference would be, it might be dependent on exactly how much space you need and  what you're trying to tetris and fit into the case.   I don't have any full evidence of this yet but I'm betting say like you have a a near full case and  you pick up a herb and it doesn't fit as your case is currently but you have 2 empty spots that are on opposite sides of the case.    I'm betting that auto sort isn't going to arrange your case to get those 2 spots together so you can fit in that herb.  You'll probably have to manually tetris it it.  My case right now is pretty full so I'll mess around with it if an opportunity arrives.

Auto sort will make the necessary space you need if you can't fit an item. I use auto sort whenever I get an new weapon and it will create and fill the space.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

It's TheDoctaMario

Yeah man, I saw you were playing it on your PS5. Does it run any better than it does on a 4?

Only the benefits that you get from the PS4 Pro, plus the inherent ones of the console being faster.

Now, something I hate about the Dual sense, is that due the geometry of the control, holding down back, when on the left side can be obnoxious at times, since if you are accustomed to the DS3 &/or DS4, you can do it by pressing more subtly, meanwhile on the DSense you have to do it more committed, otherwise you end eating attacks because you were not blocking.

Edited by Hecatom
52 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Auto sort will make the necessary space you need if you can't fit an item. I use auto sort whenever I get an new weapon and it will create and fill the space.

The inventory thing with RE was always hilarious to me. It's like "hey you got a new weapon, play this puzzle game to see if you actually get to take it with you or not." 

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Only the benefits that you get from the PS4 Pro, plus the inherent ones of the console being faster.

Now, something I hate about the Dual sense, is that due the geometry of the control, holding down back, when on the left side can be obnoxious at times, since if you are accustomed to the DS3 &/or DS4, you can do it by pressing more subtly, meanwhile on the DSense you have to do it more committed, otherwise you end eating attacks because you were not blocking.

I'll have to check that out. I think I've only played that game on non-Joycon pads once or twice, I usually use my hitbox when we play

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

God damn...talk about falling apart.  Pretty sad about this but this may actually be the end of E3.  I don't know how they'll be able to recover especially if the Big 3 are "supporting of the ESA" but not going to be there.

Geoff Keighley hurt E3 a lot more than the company would acknowledge but Covid was the death knell for E3. Everyone quickly adapted to their own in-house digital or very small in-person presentations. I imagine they realized how much more cost efficient and less stressful on the companies it was without e3. 

Edited by iStu X
36 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Geoff Keighley hurt E3 a lot more than the company would acknowledge but Covid was the death knell for E3. Everyone quickly adapted to their own in-house digital or very small in-person presentations. I imagine they realized how much more cost efficient and less stressful on the companies it was without e3. 

Yeah; the Game Awards wants a trailer. E3 might want a demo, which takes time to craft. A lot more companies are going to enjoy not having that burden. Hell, if they weren't passing out awards, companies might not screw with TGA either. They'd be releasing their own stuff on their own time.

Outside of whatever companies that really need the buzz, I really don't see a future for E3 if this keeps up.