Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Octopath Traveler II is so good. Omg. I only have my starting character and two other characters but I love the back stories I've seen. 

Thronè (character I started with) 

Spoiler

She’s from an assassins and thief guild called the black snakes. Adopted at a very young age and trained personally by “Mother and Father”. The two leaders of the group. 

After a mission she’s on goes horribly wrong she gets one more opportunity to redeem herself as failure within the guild means death. She’s to assassinate a traitor within the guild. 

she finds out through a series of a events that Mother and Father are trying to find their replacements by spreading lies through the guild which are getting the members to kill one another until the two top assassin’s are left standing. 

After she finds this out she rejects the ideals of the group and decides to kill Mother and Father so she can dissolve the guild.

Temanos

Spoiler

An Inquisitor for the Religion called the Sacred Flame. The inquisitor basically serves as the voice of their religions pope known as the pontiff. Temanose is an extremely care free individual who questions his own religion despite being very devout as he feels while the gods exist everyone should worship in their own way and always ask questions regarding the gods. He as seen as an outlier and often regarded as not worthy of his position as Inquisitor. 

As a member of their army is newly assigned to the town he is accompanied by Temanos so he can great the Pontic and Temanos coincidentally has a meeting with the Pontiff that night. 

As the arrive at the cathedral they find the Pontiff murdered by a creature that should not be able to enter the cathedral due to wards put up around the cathedral. 

Temanos ponders that the murder was not a random act but someone premeditated the murder and after talking to high ranking members of the Church who just happened to arrive when they did Temanos believes the murderers are members within the Church. 

Osvald 

Spoiler

A magician and scholar who creates an equation to make magic more powerful. His research assistant Harvey grows jealous of his accomplishments and ends up framing Osvald for murder after Harvey burns down Osvald’s house which also kills his wife and daughter. 

Osvald is then sent to the games version of Alcatraz where over five years he plans his escape. I haven’t finished his origin story yet but this where I’m at. 

Edited by iStu X
11 hours ago, MillionX said:

ha, first time playing Dead Cells on 5C difficulty has been some crazy/awesome shit...  normal enemies on this mode can transform into elite versions...and you gradually become more infected with the "malaise" as time goes on.... in addition to most enemies being able to teleport which is from 4C difficulty.  Oh yeah, I'm glad to finally make it into the "True" insanity of Dead Cells here.  

I still prefer to just go on with whatever random weapons and items the game starts me with, btw... at least most of the time.  I think most fans like to set the exact parameters like starting with their specific favorite items, guaranteed.  *sometimes* I'm in that mood but not usually.  I enjoy the randomness of trying to run with whatever pops up like "ok...so this is what we're starting with...let's see what happens here.."

I think most people play Custom mode but while it's fun to tune the game to your specs, I find myself get more neurotic about keeping whatever weapons I've started with, especially if it's a Survival weapon. Then I end up in the position of doing too little damage late game which makes the boss fights really tough because I'm only just scratching them. Normal mode I just take what I can get and

I did a Brutality run and went the Dracula route, but I was able to get through the whole game with the Whip Sword, but wound up unlocking heavy crossbow right before Dracula so I gave him the business with that

Uh uh...looks like Sony's exclusives got the spotlight put on them while they've been trying to shut down the M$/ ActiBlizz merger

Despite the fact that I don't know where she got 98% of the high end game market from, the fact that they're bringing up the thing some of us have been saying is funny.

Edited by Sonichuman
43 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Disagree. I hope it isn’t platinum. I’m hoping it’s Sucker Punch or Naughty. 

Unless is a PS exclussive, they would be very doubtful

Saying that, Sucker Punch, hell yeah, it would be almost as good as Platinum in my book.

Naughty, nah to that, their games are mediocre at best in terms of gameplay.

31 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Disagree. I hope it isn’t platinum. I’m hoping it’s Sucker Punch or Naughty. 

I know don't think that well of Platinum but I highly doubt it's Naughty Dog.  They're already working on LoU Factions and supposedly 2 other project where one is supposed be like Star Wars in terms of being episodic in nauture and then the other game that they briefly talked about on the Kinda Funny games podcast that he was being coy about that may or may not be LoU 3.  I'm sure if Naughty Dog did a TMNT game the story would probably be top notch but can't say I'd expect the kind of gameplay I'd want from this game would come from them.  Sucker Punch could probably do it easily.  I mean GoTsu and Sly Cooper are probably enough to prove that they could make the game.  Looking at this realistically though...GoTsu has an incoming movie and the first game was an amazing success. The game came out 07/17/2020 so we're almost 3 years out from that game release.  I'd be incredibly surprised of they aren't working on GoTsu 2 already.   Add to the fact that it'd be crazy out of left field for Sony to money hat an exclusive TMNT and I da know....this feels like a pretty big shot in the dark here.

I wish it was Platinum but I know it's probably not them.  It's probably in reality not going to be any of these 3 companies.   Best case scenario if it's not those 3 is that it'd be Koei Tecmo....but if I was put money on who probably on the table it's probably Ubisoft.  I have nothing to back this up mind you but I just have a hard feeling that they're looking for to do a Triple A game with some moody feeling in it and they're probably not going to go in any direction I'd prefer them to go in.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

They haven't said who the dev is yet...I kinda wish it was Platinum because it'd be a nice lil redemption story.

Yea this would be cool, they deserve actual dev time on a TMNT game.

And if SuckerPunch makes it then the combat better be challanging. Fun as GoTSU was, i found the combat to be the weakest part. Shit was hard as hell till i got like 2 or 3 skills then it toppled over. Got way worse once i could go Ronin Rampage mode. Like game should have a gradual ramp in challange, not be front loaded with fuck loads of frustrating difficulty then just collapse under its own weight once 2 or 3 basic skills are acquired.

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Uh uh...looks like Sony's exclusives got the spotlight put on them while they've been trying to shut down the M$/ ActiBlizz merger

Despit the fact that I don't know where she got 98% of the high end game market from, the fact that they're bringing up the thing some of us have been saying is funny.

Yeah Hoeg* brought this up. He was saying how Sony opposing the merger may end up being a loss for them even if they managed to get it blocked. They've shined a light on their own anticompetitive practices and the documents they are compelled to reveal given their competitors a direct insight into their business practices. There stance is the epitome of foolishness.

*Glad Hoeg is doing better, he had a stroke. Dude is around our age. 

What I find amusng is that people are acting like if Xbox doesn't also do the same.

Is standard practice on the industry.

There are plenty of games that have been blocked to get on Sony consoles first, or ever, or are barren from being added to the PSN+ extra lineup if they are on the Xbox game pass.

Sony is not doing anything that Xbox, or Epic does already, lol

Edited by Hecatom

If Ubi makes Last Ronin I just straight up won’t buy it. Probably the same if it’s platinum tbh. I don’t really like either developer that much. 

with how EA has done a total 180 when it comes to single player games I could see them making it. 

Edited by iStu X

VGM Fridays!  Women History Month post.  I have more in a list but I figure I can just save them for next year.

Saki Haruyama or Saki Kasuga - List of songs actually isn't much but the games she has worked on were FE: Radiant Dawn, FE Path of Radiance, FE, Sacred Stones, Paper Mario The Thousand- Year Door and Fire Emblem for the GBA otherwise known as FE: The Sword of Raging Fire or The Blazing Blade.  She apparently works at Bandai Namco now.

Yuka Watanabe - Games she'd worked on include some of the naruto ninja storm games, and a few of the Castlevania titles including HoD, CoD, PoR, and DoS.  She may have also worked on some of the games in the World Heroes series but I'm unsure since when I look up information on her it always seems like her list of titles is brokesn up and not together so can't tell if its the same person or not.  Unfortuately I'm not entirely sure of which tracks she'ws responsible for so here's something from DoS.

Satoe Terashima - Credits include Castlevania and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.  She's apparently the one who composed the original "Vampire Killer" along with "Stalker", "Out of Time" and "Voyager". She went by the Pseudonym James Banana back then.  Sadly it looks like she didn't much outside of music for those games and The Goonies game.

Megan McDuffee - More recent up and comer who has been making a name for her self.  Looking at her credits she a lot of composing for TV, video, and her own music first before she really came on to the map for VG with River City Girls.  Other games she's composed for other than the River City Girls series are Aeon Drive, Hostile Takeover and the Recharged series for Atari.

Minami Kiyota - Not as new to the VG scene as Ms. McDuffee but she's started out with PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure and then went straight into making music for Xenoblade Chronicles right after.  She has composed tracks for all of the XBC games except for X since that was done by Sawano.

Junko Tamiya - She didn't make much music during her time at Capcom during the NES days BUT she  did the music for Bionic Commando, Strider (Arcade), Final Fight, Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight.

So Jake B. played Redfall apparently and has some thoughts; I'll have to check the rest of this out a bit later..

*I tried to get on the Diablo 4 beta earlier while on lunch break...but of course it said there was a 48 minute queue time so hell nah to that.

...I watched a little of some live-streamers earlier when I could---- seeing some of the (very cool) story scenes early on it just hit me... it would be cool if they had a lot of variance to the story in the world of Diablo....too bad there's zero chance of that though; it's typically very linear and most fans don't half care about the story anyway, sadly.  ....but I was thinking...what if I'd like my character to actually side with Lilith?  There should be more games like that where you can join the other side if you want; becoming one of the "bad guys" in the main story....take over the world or steal some powerful artifact or subjugate humanity or whatever the "dastardly plans" happen to be.  I want more games where the storyline can go into all kinds of interesting directions depending on what the player chooses to do.

Edited by MillionX

Hell yeah I was finally able to get in on the D4 beta...  I started a necromancer, and I got mine looking like a vampiric David Bowie with a bit of his Ziggy Stardust appearance.  

I went to the Darkness power right away which appears to just be another version of "siphon" from D3, I think..?  My next skill was the blood nova ability....I'm assuming that the radius of the blast could increase at later levels.  I only have the basic skeleton warriors at the moment; I look forward to level 15 to get the skeletal mages; those have always been my favorite necro minions.  

I'm playing REmake 4 on hardcore mode and yeah the unreliability of shots on villagers on whether they stagger or not is definitely making encounters way harder.    You really can not chill at all even for a second in this game cause it really feels like they get behind you and to the side of you within 5 seconds.  They're so damn aggressive in this game.

Edit:  They're so aggressive that it makes trying to line up a shot to get the stagger from standing still almost impossible.

Edit 2:...THE BRIDGE CAN GIVE OUT FROM UNDERNEATH YOU NOW!?  This game....

Edit 3:

Wow...

Edited by Sonichuman

Finished Metroid Prime Remastered last night.   I thought I was at the final boss and then there are like 2 more bosses lol.  That was an epic ending.  The one I thought was the final boss was the hardest of them all in it's final phase (Meta Ridley) but I finally figured it out pretty easily.  Initially I was just having trouble hitting him in that phase.

This makes me really hype for MP4 whenever it eventually comes out.  I can't imagine how good it will be.  I just hope they steer clear of the light/dark stuff that was in MP2 I believe because I remember not really liking that very much.

Y0RaVMI.jpg