Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

4 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Square Enix has made a series of easily foreseeable blunders. The entire board and CEO should have been "window seated" for their nonsense. They sold their western studios and all the IPs for a pittance. They invested NFTs. Invested in block chain. They've neglected Nintendo platforms for a couple of decades now despite it being the primary place Japanese players play games. Which has reduced their relevance to a generation of Japanese gamers. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is pretty disappointing and I'm pretty sure the actual reason is because they didn't buy/put in a controlling stake in Aqcuire for whatever reason.

They've also been investing heavily in AI and its not working for them. 

Not to mention the absolutly pathetic sum of money they let go of their western studios and IPs. Just fucking stupid as shit.

Edited by RSG3
1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

They've also been investing heavily in AI and its not working for them. 

If didn't know better, I'd swear she was running Square Enix. It seems like they are fucking up on purpose at this point.

margaret-whitton.jpg

RIP Margaret Whitton, had no idea she passed away in 2016 until I looked up this photo.

I have no idea who that character is bro....sorry lol. 

But yea man they have been making some pretty bone headed decisions lately. I hoping the influx of newish blood to the board helps turn things around. Yoshi P got added a few years back, and 7Remake/Rebirths director was just promoted as well. Just cross my dangers and hope those two cam be some kind of voice of reason. 

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I started Fallout 4 and I don't know if I love or hate it so far. Only 2 hours in. Anything I should know for my first Fallout/Bethesda house game?

Don't try to kill everyone in the first town you get to.  They'll kick you out without being able to upgrade anything and you'll get killed by a nuclear rat.  At least,  that's what happened when I played Fallout 3 

15 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I have no idea who that character is bro....sorry lol. 

But yea man they have been making some pretty bone headed decisions lately. I hoping the influx of newish blood to the board helps turn things around. Yoshi P got added a few years back, and 7Remake/Rebirths director was just promoted as well. Just cross my dangers and hope those two cam be some kind of voice of reason. 

The character is Rachel Phelps. In Major League she becomes the owner of the Cleveland Indians after her husband dies. She hates Cleveland and wants to move the team, but can't unless the attendance bottoms out. So tries to lose on purpose by signing a bunch over the hill or never was players. Unlike Square Enix, her purposely bad decisions blows up in her face and the team ends up winning in spite of her.

TLDR: Her character tries to lose on purpose. Which would be a better explanation for Square Enix's decisions than them trying to succeed and failing so badly.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I started Fallout 4 and I don't know if I love or hate it so far. Only 2 hours in. Anything I should know for my first Fallout/Bethesda house game?

Maybe you'll find this illuminating.

Edited by AriesWarlock
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The character is Rachel Phelps. In Major League she becomes the owner of the Cleveland Indians after her husband dies. She hates Cleveland and wants to move the team, but can't unless the attendance bottoms out. So tries to lose on purpose by signing a bunch over the hill or never was players. Unlike Square Enix, her purposely bad decisions blows up in her face and the team ends up winning in spite of her.

TLDR: Her character tries to lose on purpose. Which would be a better explanation for Square Enix's decisions than them trying to succeed and failing so badly.

I haven't seen that movie in years, clearly it is time I do. I didn't trmember at all lol. 

Re Squeenix news: From everything I’ve read the games that are far in development and/or tent pole titles like Vision of Mana, DQ3 HD, FF9 remake, FF7 remake chapter 3 are all safe. Most the projects that were cancelled were games they haven’t announced yet that were still in production or haven’t left the alpha/conceptual stages. 

it’s mainly just them wanting to take less risks and likely being more cautious about digging into their war chest when it comes to reviving franchises. 

in other news, 

Circana March 2024 numbers.  I do not know why they're coming out so late but Mat did put up a rough calendar of when to expect each month

Mat put up a good chunk of info about some of the numbers you'll be seeing below.  I'll put up my usual stuff typing most of it out but the other stuff I'll put in a spoiler so it's not such a huge post.

Highlights:  Helldivers 2 is still selling extremely well having only dropped 1 spot from 1 to 2 after 1 month.  Helldivers II is still currently the best selling premium game of 2024 ytd even while placing 2nd in march.  It currently ranks 7th in lifetime US dollar sales for Sony published titles after just 2 months in market.  It was knocked out of no.1 by Dragons Dogma II.  Dragons Dogma II and Rise of the Ronin both debuted top 5.   Dragon's Dogma actually did  well enough that it topped Xbox's chart.  Dragon's Dogma II has already surprised the life to date tracked dollar sales of Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen combined.  Rebirth saw a drop from 2nd place to 6 for the month.  Apparently Hardware sales are down more than expected.  32% in comparison to a year ago...PS5, Xbox Series, and Switch declined a min of 30% year on year.  Playstation Dual Sense Edge was the best-selling accessory in dollar sales for March and the first quarter.  FFVII: Rebirth currently ranks 14th across all FF releases in the US market.  XV is 1st all time followed bye Remake and then the OG FFVII

Hardware:  PS5 is top dog in unit and dollar sales for March and 1st quarter.  Switch is 2nd in unit sales for the month and the quarter.  Xbox Series is ranked 2nd in dollars.

Top 20 March 2024: Dragon Dogma II, Helldivers II, MLB The Show 24, CoD: MW II 2023, Rise of the Ronin, Princess Peach: Showtime, FFVII: REbirth, Unicorn Overlord, WWE 2K24, Hogwarts Legacy, Dat Mdden 24, EA Sports FC 24, Minecraft, Horizon II: FW  (This game made a jump from 107 to 14, I'm guessing the release on PC in Feb really boosted this), Tekken 8 (10 spot drop), Rainbow Six: Siege, Elden Ring, MK8D, Spiderman 2, MK1

YTD March 2024: Helldivers II, CoD: MW II 2023, Dragons Dogma II, FF7:Rebirth, MLB The Show 24, Tekken 8, Suicide Squad: KtJL, Dat Madden 24, Persona 3, Reload, Hogwarts Legacy, EA Sports FC 24, Skull and Bones, Spiderman 2, Rise of the Ronin, SMB Wonder, Elden Ring, Minecraft, Like a Dragon: IW, LoU Part 2, MK1

Top 10  selling Playstation: MLB The Show 24, Helldivers II, Dragons Dogma II, Rise of the Ronin, CoD MWIII 2023, FF7: Rebirth, WWE 2K24, Dat Madden 24, EA Spors FC 24, Spider-man 2

Top 10 Played on PS5: Fortnite, CoD, GTAV, NBA 2K24, Helldivers II, Dat Madden 24, Roblox, Spiderman 2, Sifu ( This game had a massive jump in people playing it, from 151 to 9), Minecraft

Top 20 selling games Xbox: Dragon's Dogma II, Cod: MW III 2023, WWE 2K24, EA Sports FC 24, Dat Madden 24, Hgowarts Legacy, Minecraft (20 to 7), Elden Ring, Rainbow Six: Siege, Star Wars: JS

Top 10  Xbox Playing:  Fortnight, CoD, GTA V, Roblox, Minecraft, Dat Madden 24, NBA 2k24, Rainbow Sixe Seige, Dead Island 2, MLB The Show 24

Top 10 played on Steam:  Helldivers 2, Counter-Strike 2, Baldur's Gate III, Balatro (keep hearing about this game..jumped from 19 to 4), Rainbow Six: Siege (jump from 14to 5), Dragon's Dogma II, Stardew Valley (jump from 54 to 7), Last Epoch, Rocket League, Elden Ring

Top 10 Nintendo: Princes Peach: Showtime, Unicorn Overlord ( wow...that is...quite surprising!), MK8D, SMB Wonder, MvDK 2024, Hogwarts Legacy, Smash Ult, Minecraft, Just Dance 2024, Pokemon Sc/Vi

Spoiler

Oh my god....why the fuck are people fighting the dude who looks at theses numbers on a fucking daily basis?

What's the word for people who try to talk to people about their job when they're not in the field and act like they know more than the person actually doing the stuff?

After testing NFS Unbound and comparing it to NFSMW 2012 and NFSHP 2010, I have to say that the driving is not necessarily bad, BUT, the mechanics implemented on it make it a grind.

They clearly want you to interact with the game for extended periods of time to end buying stuff like the season pass, using artificial ways to extend the grind, like always underpowering you on your available races, and limiting the amount of times that you can retry a race if you placed badly.

Which is kind of a shame since the driving is not bad so far.

Saying that, a nice surprise was to see that while the save itself are not crossplay, your progress in terms of times and progress on the points you get on HP and MW carry over from PS3 to PC and PS4 on the remaster for HP and the game on pc for MW.

I logged on the remaster on the PS5 and all my times from the PS3 were there.

And when playing on the PC game (it was at like 3 bucks on steam) it instantly unlocked all the races and the MW list rivals since my progress on the ladder carried over (although I only have the cars you get from the start, lol)

Playing those games again, I have to say that I still prefer MW 2013 in terms of feel and car selection.

Posted (edited)

Hahaha. I hope LimitedRun burns to the ground. They’ve always been scummy and I don’t get how people don’t see that. Theyre a company that cultivates and embraces a scalper community and Mentality. Theyre whole company  requires people falling to FOMO. 

the complaints about them have been stacking up since day one. Fuck them. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Hahaha. I hope LimitedRun burns to the ground. They’ve always been scummy and I don’t get how people don’t see that. Theyre a company that cultivates and embraces a scalper community and Mentality. Theyre whole company  requires people falling to FOMO. 

the complaints about them have been stacking up since day one. Fuck them. 

Because the vast majority of people don't  fucking know any of this Stu lol.