Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I need the next console to not be called the Snitch lol.  I know thats not actually what the new console will be named but after the explanation for Wii U its not outside of the realm of possibility.

How about... U Switch!

Edited by AriesWarlock
8 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

Xbox execs are actually on some schizo shit right now 

Apparently the issue is Microsoft execs make decisions without consulting or telling Xbox execs. Not defending Phil, he's done a shit job. However that's why they are so discombobulated. The most glaring example is the situation around Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush coming to PS5. Supposedly MS made the decision and left the Xbox execs scrambling to put something together to explain the situation. MS execs have final say at the end of day and they aren't wise enough to at least give the Xbox execs a heads up.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

I really can't imagine being one of the companies that was just recently bought thats not ActiBlizz right now.  I know Ninja Theory's cheeks are fully clenched right now.

I know they have their fans.
But so far, maybe just 1 of their games has been an actual success (Hell Blade 1, and that is still debatable, being a day 1 game pass game).

The reason why they have been able to survive until now is that like the BBC, most of their funding before the xbox acquisition came through the tax payers money, if not for that, they would have been gone, long ago.

Now that their survival is tied to the performance of their games, and seeing that their last game was a failure that died quickly, If this game doesn't perform (not that it matters since they said that Hifi Rush was a success) who knows if they will be around for long.

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

ive Been looking for this post all morning.  former M$ and EA exec Brad Hilderbrand tries to sum up what the fuck he thinks is going on at Xbox 

IMG_0498.png

Image is not working

4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Just gunna re-post it. 😂

It’s kinda blurry to me but I’m on mobile. So You might need to click to see it better. 

IMG_0498.png

This is what I have been saying since day 1.
It is not really profitable for companies to have the game on gamepass day 1 in the long run.

The subscription model is only a good value proposition for the consumer, but is not something that benefits the devs if they are beyond certain game developing cost threshold.

It is the same reason why beyond few, and I mean few streaming services like Netflix and Prime, most of them are struggling to survive.

It wouldn't be too long from now where we will see most of the subscription services (games, streaming, etc) will start to implode.

Posted (edited)

MVG has been saying another crash is coming for a while now and I can't help but agree with him at this point. It won't be near as bad. Indies and "AA" games will still be in abundance but major 3rd party publishers are in for huge reckoning. These layoffs are not only bad PR but they are helping to found the studios that will eat their lunch. There is a lot of talent out there with an axe to grind. Moreover, there is a lot of upcoming talent that will be reticent to take jobs with them. The one's that do are going to expect a premium.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, iStu X said:

During the investor Q&A Nintendo President Furukawa addresses Digital/Physical distribution of games. 

the short of it is that Nintendo is happy with growth of their digital sales portfolio but they plan on keeping physical the priority and actually increase production volume of physical game cards as it’s still the most convenient for consumers and still more profitable for Nintendo. 

It got lost in the shuffle of being at the end of the last page. So bumping it. At least there’s some good in the gaming world. 

11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

MVG has been saying another crash is coming for a while now and I can't help but agree with him at this point. It won't be near as bad. Indies and "AA" games will still be in abundance but major 3rd party publishers are in for huge reckoning. These layoffs are not only bad PR but they are helping to found the studios that will eat their lunch. There is a lot of talent out there with an axe to grind. Moreover, there is a lot of upcoming talent that will be reticent to take jobs with them. The one's day are going to expect a premium.

It is a collapse of a good portion of the entertainment industry and tech industry.
This is also happening on hollywood and iyllicon valley now that the investors money is drying up

Just now, iStu X said:

This is EA levels of Evil. M$ is sending out swag bags and care packages to all the people they just fired. What the absolute fuck. 

This is just another example of how disjointed Xbox is. It just makes me believe all the stories MS execs making decisions without telling the Xbox execs. 

30 minutes ago, iStu X said:

This is EA levels of Evil. Xbox is sending out swag bag/care packages to all the people they just fired. What the absolute fuck. 

It will be extra hilarious and sad, if those swag bags were meant for them as a welcoming gift for joining MS, but only being provided until now, due how bloated they are.

People really might have to start clicking on names before responding to people lol

Supposed Switch 2 specs have been floating around in my feeds...supposedly this is coming from hardware shipment information.  Grain of salt and all that

If true I'm perfectly fine with a slightly more powerful PS4 with hopefully a decent battery.

3 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I am only just realizing it, but I guess Capcom has always wanted Akuma to be a ugly motherfucker. Dude gets uglier visually with each numbered entry

Akuma is not here for the ladies unless they want to fight.

Take a wild guess if she actually answers the question or not...You already know the answer.

Posted (edited)

Of course Vee would have some vids of Hades 2 playthrus; I'll have to check more of it out..

I've been playing the first game again lately since I now have it on Steam Deck (super cheap sale recently)

Edited by MillionX
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Take a wild guess if she actually answers the question or not...You already know the answer.

So, I actually feel for Sarah Bond. Hear me out:

It feels like she was just sent out by Spencer/Booty as the sacrificial lamb to the slaughter. You can tell she’s nervous, anxious and extremely uncomfortable. While there is no damage control to be done as there’s no taking back what’s been done she likely had zero prep time for this and is just thinking of answers by the seat of her pants. 

Phil Spencer or Matt Booty should be the ones explaining this situation as they’re the ones who caused it to happen. No one knows who the fuck Sarah Bond is really. She hasn’t really had any sort of public presence in the Xbox community outside of when she gets a promotion here or there. Matt Booty and Spencer are basically the faces of Xbox — I mean, Microsoft Gaming. 

They’re the ones that need to be held accountable and raked over the god damn coals. Not Sarah. Her entire career could be destroyed because of this. 

On the other hand I don’t think M$ truly thought the closures would cause this much blow back and this much of the internal turmoil and constant running around putting out fires that’s happening would be this public, this fast. 

Theres just so much shit. I’ve been reading about it all day. The one big thing that truly stuck out to me is that since day one pretty much everyone but Spencer has been against GamePass. Everyone from top to bottom has told him to not do the thing. It’s not going to work. We’re going to hemorrhage money in the long run. But Spencer would just be like “fuck it, we’re doing it live” and do the thing. 

Even with the heavy marketing and expansion of Gamepass over the last few years the total subscription base (new and renewal) has barely grown a single percent. A SINGLE PERCENT! The crazy part is that they want to increase the price of it to compensate for the 70 billion they burnt to cinder and pissed on buying ActiBlizz and paying off God Emperor Bobby his almost half a billion dollars. 

Lastly is if they go through with the price hike (that apparently Spencer is heavily fighting against…hurray?) they’re preparing internally on back tracking on releasing Call of Duty as a day one on gamepass and timed exclusivity of the title. Which was one of the main god damn reasons they bought the company. 

Xbox is burning to the ground in front of our eyes. It’s bonkers. 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, Wellman said:

I am only just realizing it, but I guess Capcom has always wanted Akuma to be a ugly motherfucker. Dude gets uglier visually with each numbered entry

Yea, one of the side effects of Dark Hadou according to lore is it Ogrefies you. He looks like a demon for a reason. 

Posted (edited)

Oh, I also want to add that Booty said during their town hall yesterday (Wednesday?) that he would rather people quit and be given severance packages on their way out than wait until they close their division and/or studio because it would be more cost efficient. 

talk about a fucking morale killer. “QUIT NOW OR WAIT TO BE FIRED BY US!” 

They’ve also said “MORE CLOSURES AND LAYOFFS ARE COMING!”

Oh and then Booty said they want studios to bring them games that will give them prestige and awards. Right after they closed two studios that were doing just fucking that. 

(Fun side note to the above: Many of the higher up producers and directors of HiFi Rush have been posting photos from their houses and old offices with all the awards they’ve won with extremely passive aggressive comments towards Xbox) 

Cool, Microsoft. What else can you do? You laid off almost 2000 ActiBlizz employees and just closed two acclaimed studios and you said with your whole god damn chest that more layoffs are happening. 

Edited by iStu X