Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

21 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I haven't played DS3, but I wouldn't say ER is worse than Sekiro. Two completely different games and I love them both,  but if I had to give one of them the edge it would probably be Sekiro.

None of them are really like ER. I think that they're really different and I think that there's some validity to the apples v. oranges issue with my comparison, but I think it'd be pretty disingenuous to say that they aren't worth comparing at all. They're made by the same developer who had that same vision that making a game with a great story, challenging enemies, exploration, patience and learning in a specific gameplay loop would be great. And they all are.

I think Elden Ring suffers from poorer environment design than in the other two I mentioned, but that the other two suffer from poorer exploration given the scope of ER. The strengths of ER influence its weaknesses, and vice-versa. I just prefer the other games. That's a more serious representation of my thoughts than just, "ER bad!"

On 4/19/2024 at 10:10 PM, Sonero said:

So its essentially goofy pearl clutching. Because it isn't like we're in some weird hentai world. There have been a lot of great female characters that are dressed. There's also a hilairously amount of questionable dressed characters that are beloved. WE gonna pretend we don't live in a post Bayonetta/Kill La Kill/w/e fucking armor broads were wearing in WoW? If you don't want fanservice in games, there are a lot of fucking alternatives out there.

You're right, but the people writing these pieces are overwhelmingly English major/ perpetually online types whose heads have been filled by pseudo-feminist BS who are mining power for themselves by being able to dictate to everyone else, on their terms, the difference between the characters that are "problematic" and the one that are "safe."

Bayonetta is beloved by gays, therefore she's safe. Eve is a character that, at least at this point, straight (and particularly white) guys like, so she's "problematic." Anything straight men like is a problem to these types of people, although if the same design appeals to gays or women, then it's fine. The whole thing looks like a big journalistic power grab from where I'm sitting. They're all just saying "it's only a problem if we say it's a problem."

BG3-- heh, one of my victims continues to stand out in memory of so many good times of my being unnecessarily evil in this game...a little dwarf shop owner that I had just completed a quest for...soon as that was over and I got my exp....we closed the doors of his shop so no one could be a witness... and he would become my first trial of using the "mind-blast" power (this looks really cool, btw...I love the visuals they use for the powers in this game).  He was just an ordinary citizen; low HP...so of course it instantly killed him.  Minthara would then have fun throwing his corpse around the shop for a while.  I also made sure to loot his corpse to get back an item I sold to him earlier.

On another note--- Warhammer Rogue Trader is on sale on Steam at the moment; I've been considering that one.  

It will be a shame but I don't know if Koei Tecmo will last into the next generation. Outside of contract work and Dynasty Warriors/Warriors spinoffs I can't think of a recent successful game. 

Atlus was the same way and wound up getting gobbled up by Sega. I wonder if there is any company that values KT properties or development enough to take them on?

8 minutes ago, Wellman said:

It will be a shame but I don't know if Koei Tecmo will last into the next generation. Outside of contract work and Dynasty Warriors/Warriors spinoffs I can't think of a recent successful game. 

Atlus was the same way and wound up getting gobbled up by Sega. I wonder if there is any company that values KT properties or development enough to take them on?

Which sucks, cuz they have some really good games.
Wild Hearts for example was a neat game.

Perhaps, my only issue is that the armors were kind of meh in the looks area.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

If this was 2021-22, they would have probably been gobbled up by someone. However with the current state of the industry, everyone sans Nintendo seems to be laying off developers, I'm not sure. Most companies seem to be trying to hold together what they already have.

48 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If this was 2021-22, they would have probably been gobbled up by someone. However with the current state of the industry, everyone sans Nintendo seems to be laying off developers, I'm not sure. Most companies seem to be trying to hold together what they already have.

You are right, their properties might be worthwhile but taking all the developers may not be that attractive. 

I could see Nintendo buying them only because they have worked with them before on multiple projects and I think co own the Fatal Frame IP. The only publisher from Japan I could see as being interested in their IP and development teams equally would be a smaller but growing publisher like Arc Systems. Owning the Ninja Gaiden franchise would fit their current portfolio of classic IP, plus it would give them access to teams that have more experience in other genres not just action or fighting games.

Interesting.... but this is already frustrating me because it appears like there is no character creation here...?!

I'll never quite get why superhero games with customization are such a rare thing.  I only remember there being ....three in all of gaming history!? (Freedom Force and... City of Heroes I think it was called...?  ...and then of course DCUO)  That's pitiful.  Just give us something more like DCUO again and again, where the player makes their own superhero *or* villain.....not sure why that's such a rare concept in videogames.  At this point even my precious vampire-related videogames have finally become more common than this idea.

....and again I'm wondering.... why is Marvel's weak bitch-ass NOT trying anything similar to compete directly with DCUO in all these years?  That game originally came out 13 years ago, and it's like they're too scared, dumb or unimaginative to bother trying.  Pitiful.

8 hours ago, Wellman said:

Team Ninja is owned by them, so the Nioh series, Won Long, and recently Rise of the Ronin. 

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Damn.
Fallout was great from start to finish.
Loved every aspect of it.

Loved it too. I honestly went in with only the most basic knowledge of Fallout and fairly low expectations and now it’s probably my favorite show from Amazon. Really well done. 

SVS Chaos manwa pictures

https://twitter.com/GuileWinQuote/status/1782801605466669425

aa

https://embracer.com/releases/embracer-group-announces-its-intention-to-transform-into-three-standalone-publicly-listed-entities-at-nasdaq-stockholm/

The three separate publicly listed entities are expected to consist of:

• Asmodee Group – A global leading tabletop games publisher and distributor with an extensive studio network and intellectual property catalog.
  • Coffee Stain & Friends – A diverse gaming entity with a dual focus on indie and A/AA premium and free-to-play games for PC, console, and mobile, with a high degree of recurring revenues.
  • Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends – A creative powerhouse in AAA game development and publishing for PC and console, as well as the stewards of The Lord of the Rings and Tomb Raider intellectual properties, among many others.

Mad that a tribal character looks tribal.

Edited by AriesWarlock
On 4/22/2024 at 2:06 PM, Wellman said:

The Nioh games were sleeper hits for them. 

I snagged Eiyuden Chronicles on PC. It's really old school RPG which may turn of modern players. I don't mind it but I spend half my day yelling at clouds. Unfortunately, I hear the Switch version has poor performance. Which frankly surprises me. The game isn't pushing the hardware by any means. It you told me this was a remaster of 360 game, I'd believe you. I enjoy getting Suikoden experience, so I think fans of the franchise will be happy.

Edit: @AriesWarlockEnriku Lose forgot their mask.

sure-loser.gif

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Mad that a tribal character looks tribal.

What's funny to me is most of Xenoblade Chronicles 2s character designs ESPECIALLY the female Blades are God fucking awful. Just terrible ass lookin shit imo. The two girls he did post are the best designed of the bunch lol. 

Tribal character looks awesome and like something out of a Falcom Game which is one of the oldest developers in the JRPG game. 

Dit: @Darc_RequiemSwitch Perfomance seems be getting bad lately, developers are too lazy to port to it properly, or it probably shouldn't be there to begin with like MK1. 

Edited by RSG3

Translator ^ just said the creator no longer has the rights to these games 😞

21 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Tribal character looks awesome and like something out of a Falcom Game which is one of the oldest developers in the JRPG game.

I agree. I think she looks great. Design is good, she looks strong. But certain people have problems with it:

Others are bothered at the fact that apparently DEI had something to do with the character:

GL76BQTbEAAvdb2?format=jpg&name=large

Wacky convo also

3 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

But certain people have problems with it:

3 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Others are bothered at the fact that apparently DEI had something to do with the character:

Well fuck all these people. We need to stop giving these losers attention and voices. 

Twitter/X always has some dumb shit on it. But one thing I kept seeing previously seems to continue bear out. Japanese developers make better black characters than Western Developers. Marisa, no not that Marisa @Jocelot, has a great design in Eiyuden Chronicles. Now I'm thinking about Taion's cool design from Xenoblade 3 as well.

@RSG3Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had an idea that "sounds cool on paper" but doesn't work out in practice. The Blades were created by multiple artists. In addition to some of them being meh, the artstyle was utterly inconsistent because it. You could run around in party with 4 different artstyles at the same time. 😑 Multple artists are good for variant covers or art books but not for in game assets. 

Side note: The damned Killmonger cut is in Eiyuden Chronicles, I can't escape it man. It's everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had an idea that "sounds cool on paper" but doesn't work out in practice. The Blades were created by multiple artists. In addition to some of them being meh, the artstyle was utterly inconsistent because it. You could run around in party with 4 different artstyles at the same time. 😑 Multple artists are good for variant covers or art books but not for in game assets. 

God I hated this. They should have stream lined all the blade designs for in-game but kept the artist designs/style/whatever to the UI. Would have been much better.