Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

30 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Because:

1.) There's debate, even here, on if there even were changes in the first place.

2.) If there are these tiny differences between model and character (for regular characters that should be 1-1), they could be for a multitude of reasons relating to gaming engine.

3.) Again, even if there were these changes, we're talking changes where people debate if they exist. That lets you know they're not serious. Why are these non-serious changes grinding to you personally? If they changed it, what do you get out of a game where the in game model looks a little more like the face model?

1.) To be perfectly honest, I don't find it to be a debate as much as disengenous discussion with frequently moving goalposts. 

2.) These discussions only seem to pop with Western developed games. Eastern developed games on the same platforms often using the same game engines don't generate this discussion.

3.) There are changes. Why are there changes is the question. Why does the "why's does matter crowd" toss that mantra aside any time there is an attractive female character? Why does their standards conventially leave out male characters? Especially when it's proven that both men and women prefer attractive characters. Titantic didn't set box office records because Leonardo D'Caprio was an average looking dude.  Attractive female characters are apparently killing women like Hogwart's Legacy was "killing trans people". I guess physical copies of both games are breaking into houses and the blu-ray discs are flying around taking people out like Talec from I Come In Peace

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

1.) Don't let whatever echo chamber you're in fool you: most people do NOT give one thrust of a fuck about this, or see any "pattern".

Oh, so you speak for everybody now?

The fact that the vast majority of female characters that come from western games are always made to be uglier than the model in multiple very easily identifiable ways is an obvious pattern.

That you want to ignore it is another subject

People were crying a little over Tanya's face in MK1. MK1 still sold.

MK1 has sold way less than any of its predecesors by this point in its life cycle.

People were crying over Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2. That game still sold.

The game also sold way less than its predecessors, with most of its latin american and spaniards sales tanking due the gender neutral spanish 🤣

People were crying over Aloy's face. Forbidden West still sold.

Sold way less than the 1st as well.
Granted, releasing after Elden Ring didn't help shit.

Even on social media/youtube, if there are problems brought up with those games, it has NOTHING to do with the faces. This star wars game will be the same. Whether it bombs or sells well, nobody will give a fuck about the heroine's face at that point.

So this is your preemptive defense for when the game fails huh?

2.) Art style is one thing; this fervent need for a video game girl to be hot is another.

Now you are moving the goalpost of the convo.
You asked why it it matters and I answered it.

You ask why does it matter if a character is appealing or not.
I said that it is because the same reason people care about other aesthetic things in games.

It doesnt matter to you, but it matters to other people.

You cant come here arrogantly declare that is a none issue just because you see it that way.

15 hours ago, Lantis said:

As well as the gender neutral language thing. Is that where you actually draw the line? LMFAO

Spanish speakers find neutral language offensive. I've seen too many people, co-workers and friends, get triggered at mere mention of "latinx". I've straight up been told by multiple Spanish speakers that they'd rather be called a slur.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

No you didn't, you waffled on about some weird expectations the entire population supposed to have even tho there tons and tons of proof of people like "ugly" characters and visuals all the time. You even listed games that have "ugly" characters in them as well and are just as iconic and beloved as the traditionally pretty ones. I actually think you undid your own point with that post because SF and Overwwtch are full of characters people love thay don't fit any kind of traditional attractive mold like Zaria or Blanka and E. Honda. I remember everyone dunking on Zaria for being muscle bound and having pink hair but she ended up really popular despite the vocal dog pile kinda proving all this to be rather silly. 

He asked why does it matter if a character is attractive/appealing or not.
I responded why it matters.

And no, I didn't undo my point.

Those games having few non conventionally attractive characters among sea of characters that are don't invalidate it at all, lol.

The fact that we have metrics for most character usage on some of those games, like SFV where we can see that Blanka and Honda are some of the few used characters says that despite being iconic, they are not really that popular.
They were also among the least used characters on SFIV.
And Blanka despite being considered top tier, is among the least used chars on SF6.

Zaria is not as popular either.
With its usage on the last metrics being below many other chars of the same skill ceiling.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Darc and Heca seem more concerned with her looking runway ready then looking the part she's playing. 

Bro.
The character making sense on the world doesn't invalidate that they are making her as many other female characters ugly on purpose.

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Spanish speakers find neutral language offensive. I've seen too many people, co-workers and friends, get triggered at mere mention of "latinx". I've staight up been told by multiple Spanish speakers that they'd rather be called a slur.

Must be your neck of the woods, because most of my acquaintances (and myself) just find it to be annoying/hilariously stupid. Not something they would go out on the streets  with pitchforks and torches for.

Edited by Lantis
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Darc and Heca seem more concerned with her looking runway ready then looking the part she's playing. 

You seem to be more concerned with moving goalposts and arguing against what you believe people have said. Than actually having a true back and forth discussion. I'm about equity. The same standards should be applied to everyone evenly. I shouldn't have to spell that out for you. It something I bring up often across multiple subjects.

2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Bro.
The character making sense on the world doesn't invalidate that they are making her as many other female characters ugly on purpose.

Bro none if them are fucking ugly. You have failed at every turn to pr9ve these women are ugly and when out to the oress yoy fall back on "More masculine and hard" and neither of those are default ugly traits.star Wars gal isn't ugly. Aloy isn't ugly. Even the women in MK1 aren't ugly. 

You sound so fucking vain and shallow. 

10 minutes ago, Lantis said:

The fact that you think MK 1 and SM 2 sold less due to their in-game models is actually hilarious.

Reading comprehension surely is a challenge for many on mega it seems, lol.

I never said that they sold less because of that.
I am correcting the notion that they sold great.

Each game he mentioned is part of games that had clear decline in sells when compared to other games in their series.
The lesser sales of course have multiple reasons.

I wouldn't pretend to know everyone of them, but to deny that games having negative perceptions to them is dumb as fuck.

As well as the gender neutral language thing. Is that where you actually draw the line? LMFAO

Yes, I fucking do.

That is a stupid nonsense that is being imposed on us and no one here likes it.

You can laugh all you want, but the game sold poorly in latin america because of it.

You add that stupid shit, I wouldn't be bothering with your game, period.

4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yes, I fucking do.

That is a stupid nonsense that is being imposed on us and no one here likes it.

You can laugh all you want, but the game sold poorly in latin america because of it.

You add that stupid shit, I wouldn't be bothering with your game, period.

Yeaaaahh, I'm gonna actually have to ask for actual proof that "the game sold less in Latin America solely due to gender inclusive language" or else I'm gonna call BS on that ignorant statement.

And no, don't give me links to forums with a handful of nerds complaining about that shit

Just now, RSG3 said:

Bro none if them are fucking ugly. You have failed at every turn to pr9ve these women are ugly and when out to the oress yoy fall back on "More masculine and hard" and neither of those are default ugly traits.star Wars gal isn't ugly. Aloy isn't ugly. Even the women in MK1 aren't ugly. 

When I provided meshes on blender of Alloy comparing 1 and 2, you ignored it.
And now we are having the same combo, again, you are acting as if I never provided proof.

You sound so fucking vain and shallow. 

I find humorous that knowing what I want in my ENTERTINMENT makes me vain and shallow.

I am not sorry for liking attractive character designs and being fed up with this constant uglyfication of female characters and push to censor games that have it.

Or are we gonna act that just recently the media and many devs were with pitchforks decrying that Stellar Blade has an attractive character?

Or that Microsoft just recently urged devs to avoid creating curvy characters?

https://nichegamer.com/microsoft-cautions-developers-to-avoid-curvy-female-characters/

You can ignore all that if you want, I wouldn't and will complain about it every chance I have.
You are free to ignore me if you want, because I am done trying to have a discussion about this with you, since is a waste of time, for both of us.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You seem to be more concerned with moving goalposts and arguing against what you believe people have said. Than actually having a true back and forth discussion. I'm about equity. The same standards should be applied to everyone evenly. I shouldn't have to spell that out for you. It something I bring up often across multiple subjects.

I haven't moved one single goal post, that's been Hecatom. My postion and argument have remained firm since the beginning. Neither of youhave provided a single good reason for why changing these models is an issue nore have either you managed to do a sufficient job defining any of them as ugly.  I've pointed out many body scan models who don't look exactly like the characters they are portraying in game, male and female you brushed them aside. Dante nor Nero or Vergil look like their body models used for their scans but neither of you seem to have an issue with that. Both of you seem to understand that he's representing the character Dante, not he himself in the game so they changed the model to closer fit what they want Dante to look like based off the model scan. Both of yoy get this but the moment tits are involved its suddenly a huge big issue. 

And Hecas lying to because Capcom caught flack for Clairs face in Resident Evil 2 Remake back when thay came out so Eastrrn Devs catch this stupid unjustified bullshit to. 

This started with the claim they are making the women ugly and the goal post was loved to "Masculine and hard." 

You have Heca are the only ones moving goal posts bro, don't accuse me of what you are doing. My position has remained firm the entire convo. Neither of you have justified your outrage at any of this but for some reason we have to hear about it from you two every time a character doesn't look exactly the way you seem to want them to. 

I post direct screen shots from Horizon 2 of Aloys face and get countered with Google Photoshop images and meshes thay don't show her as uglier but a little heavier which i have never once denied, yea she's a little heavier. 

Accuse me of goal post moving when I've stayed on my position the entire time. I think  youre better then thay Darc. 

21 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Must be your neck of the woods, because most of my acquaintances (and myself) just find it to be annoying/hilariously stupid. Not something they would go out on the streets  with pitchforks and torches for.

Just based on what I've been told the main issues seem to be that pronunciation in Spanish and the general feeling that it's label non-Spanish speakers came out with. However given the touchiness of the term, I just don't use it. I don't even like typing it. The reaction I've gotten is the white people calling black people the N word reaction. I know it's causing issues for progressive candidates but that would be going into politics, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Edit: @RSG3I'll keep it short. Dont assign an opinion to me that I did not express. I have no patience for people putting words in my mouth. Feel free disagree with any position I actually have.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
28 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

When I provided meshes on blender of Alloy comparing 1 and 2, you ignored it.
And now we are having the same combo, again, you are acting as if I never provided proof.

No didn't. Meshes don't prove she's uglier. It proves she's a little heavier. You didn't prove anything  this with this but what was already agreed to. Meshes don't prove she's been made ugly. Your.claim has 0 bite. You in fact still haven't provided proof she's uglier. 

I find humorous that knowing what I want in my ENTERTINMENT makes me vain and shallow.

No I find your obsession with all females needing to be incredibly pretty vain and shallow. 

See you don't actually read anything I fucking say or else you wouldn't haven't have typed that dumbass line. 

Or are we gonna act that just recently the media and many devs were with pitchforks decrying that Stellar Blade has an attractive character?

No but we clearly are gonna act like this is new and sudden and hasn't been a thing for fucking decades so we can blow up into this big fucking thing day after day after day. You act like this is new and thats the most embarrassing part, you're just like the people who thinking bitching about DD2 Micros makes you an enlightening individual when people have been making characters of all stripes in every type.of entertainment for centuries. CENTURIES. 

I really don't give a fuck what the video game media whines and cries about its super pathetic you care as much as you do. I lived through thenntrying to ban videogames and failing you think I give a fuck about IGN France? Why do you? 

You can ignore all that if you want, I wouldn't and will complain about it every chance I have.
You are free to ignore me if you want, because I am done trying to have a discussion about this with you, since is a waste of time, for both of us.

I won't ever ignore you. I will argue with you every fucking time you make this stupid ass fucking argument. You have to block me if you're tired of having this convo I won't let it run unnapposed just because it annoys you. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll keep it short. Dont assign an opinion to me that I did not express. I have no patience for people putting words in my mouth. Feel free disagree with any position I actually have

I didn't assign an emotion, opinion, or position to you. I said that seemed like what you two wanted as in "This is my take away fromt his convo" I never said it was your actually position. Like Hecatom your reading what you want and not what I'm actually saying. No wonder you both accuse me goal post moving, neither of you are actually reading my posts. 

Walk away from the thread and get some air, your emotions seem to be getting in the way. 

Edited by RSG3
8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Just based on what I've been told the main issues seem to be that pronunciation in Spanish and the general feeling that it's label non-Spanish speakers came out with. However given the touchiness of the term, I just don't use it. I don't even like typing it. The reaction I've gotten is the white people calling black people the N word reaction. I know it's causing issues for progressive candidates but that would be going into politics, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Oh, I won't deny that it sounds dumb and would prefer it not to exist, but yeah, it was a term invented by non-Hispanics that ironically some of the newer generations of Hispanic Americans have embraced so I would say it has become very divisive (hence why the term has not been cancelled entirely).

But I will say that at least the term came from noble intentions (as dumb as the result was) so to hear that some people prefer to be called a slur than that is quite perplexing, considering the vast amount of slurs that exists and that all of them with malicious and denigrating intent

10 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Oh, I won't deny that it sounds dumb and would prefer it not to exist, but yeah, it was a term invented by non-Hispanics that ironically some of the newer generations of Hispanic Americans have embraced so I would say it has become very divisive (hence why the term has not been cancelled entirely).

But I will say that at least the term came from noble intentions (as dumb as the result was) so to hear that some people prefer to be called a slur than that is quite perplexing, considering the vast amount of slurs that exists and that all of them with malicious and denigrating intent

People of Color have entered the chat. 

57 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Spanish speakers find neutral language offensive. I've seen too many people, co-workers and friends, get triggered at mere mention of "latinx". I've staight up been told by multiple Spanish speakers that they'd rather be called a slur.

I think opinions might be mixed when it comes to Hispanic Americans. But the whole thing reminds me when Filipinos rejected "Filipinx".

2022.01.07-12.15-boundingintocomics-61d8

2022.01.07-12.28-boundingintocomics-61d8

2022.01.07-01.25-boundingintocomics-61d8

2022.01.07-01.27-boundingintocomics-61d8

2022.01.07-01.58-boundingintocomics-61d8

2022.01.07-02.05-boundingintocomics-61d8

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It's amazing how multiple developers across several games can model Debra Wilson with no problems. 🤔

People bitched last year about her render in Jedi Survivor 2 lol. 

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Oh, so you speak for everybody now?

The fact that the vast majority of female characters that come from western games are always made to be uglier than the model in multiple very easily identifiable ways is an obvious pattern.

That you want to ignore it is another subject

I can go to the same social media, sales, or youtube you do to see that you only speak for a few people in comparison to everyone else. Again, I don't know what hug-box you're in, but most people do not give a fuck about this shit. I happen to be one of those people, and truly can't understand those who do. It's why I asked in the first place.

MK1 has sold way less than any of its predecesors by this point in its life cycle.

The game [Spider-Man2] also sold way less than its predecessors, with most of its latin american and spaniards sales tanking due the gender neutral spanish 🤣

[Horizon] Sold way less than the 1st as well. Granted, releasing after Elden Ring didn't help shit.

Wrong.

MK11, the last game, sold 3 mil by the end of 2019 (the year of it's release) after an April release. MK1 has sold over 3 mil now, 6 months past release. Not "way less".

https://gameworldobserver.com/2023/11/09/mortal-kombat-1-sales-3-million-copies-vs-other-mk-games

Spiderman 1 sold 9m units by the end of 2018 (the year of its release) after dropping in September. Spider-Man 2 has sold 10m to date after dropping in october. It has been a slower climb, but still not "way less" than SM1 by the same time out.

Horizon 1 sold 7 mil its first year, and Horizon 2 sold 8. Again, not "way less".

Horizon Forbidden West is the only one of these that's been out more than a year (vs the predecessors, which have been out 5), so I'm doing first year sales. And also, even if you were right and sales had a major decline, linking that to "not as hot/appealing as I'd like" faces in any way is crazy talk.

So this is your preemptive defense for when the game fails huh?

It's just stupid to suggest the game would fail even partially because of the heroine's face vs literally anything else people are talking about with that game right now. And again, no games are failing because of this type of shit.

Now you are moving the goalpost of the convo.
You asked why it it matters and I answered it.

You ask why does it matter if a character is appealing or not.
I said that it is because the same reason people care about other aesthetic things in games.

It doesnt matter to you, but it matters to other people.

You cant come here arrogantly declare that is a none issue just because you see it that way.

I'm not. I said the fixation on a VG lady being hot is weird. I said I could understand if it was a dogface or something drastic, and this shit people are flipping out over just isn't drastic. This is not just "aesthetics in games", it's "I only deal with the finest digital bitches". You can keep your money and avoid any game you want because a lady (main or not) isn't as hot as you think she should be. That's fine. But to prattle on about it sounds childish to most people. I can't help that. And that's not arrogance (at least on my part). It's just me having grown out of that by 13.

Edited by axeman61
13 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Bitched about the quality of the render or bitched about her being scanned into another game. I've only seen the latter.

I remember some people bitching about the quality, but I don't care enough to try and find it so 🤷 

22 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Interesting thread from a VG modeler on the real person scan discourse

I suspect that some will likely read through it and at some point just stop and go "nuh uh" and that's fine but this is some insight into what it takes to get some scanned models into the game and then tweak accordingly.  The thread even goes into some of the changes made to real scan models as well.

Who the fuck is this guy to call Mark Kern a grifter? 

55 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Who the fuck is this guy to call Mark Kern a grifter? 

I'm not going to go far enough to say that he is...but definitely some things about what he's done in the past few years that feel grifty.  What's really going to be the determining factor is is Em-8er actually is anything or if it ever comes out because his handling of Firefall was apparently pretty sus.  He also ended up leaving Blizzard before the real bullshit came out about what was going on behind closed doors.  Most comments that I've found about Kern while he was at Blizzard haven't been pleasant (if i come across the posts again I'll put them up).

https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/11/mark-kern-didnt-just-quit-wow-classic-he-accused-his-old-firefall-studio-of-corruption/

But we didn’t report on the accusations that led up to Kern’s own Twitter stunt, which might actually be even more interesting for our particular genre than to others.

Let’s do a little backstory here on the highly controversial Mark Kern (“controversial” is his word, not ours). After leaving the Blizzard and World of Warcraft, which he repeatedly slammed, in 2006, Kern founded Red 5 Studios, which began building the MMO Firefall. He was then forcibly removed from Red 5 in 2013 (he contested that) following layoffs and the suspension of PvP in Firefall, as employees called his behavior as CEO “erratic” and “destructive” and mocked his infamously terrible e-sports bus project. He also founded and raised seed money for a now-dead VR MMO and became embroiled in you-know-what in 2014. In 2016, he tried to make himself the symbol of the Nostalrius WoW emu drama, insisting on hand-delivering a player WoW vanilla petition to Blizzard. He then resurfaced to volunteer to buy Firefall after insulting the game that launched after he was booted (to be fair, it was a mess – at one point Red 5’s Chinese owner The9 traded part of the studio to a Cayman Islands cashmere manufacturer whose stock immediately crashed). In the last couple of years, Kern has been hawking a crowdfundedspiritual successor” to Firefall called Em-8er, whose first movement demo apparently became live in June (and yeah, they’re still planning a Kickstarter on top of the Indiegogos and Patreon).

Apparently he was the main one that got Blizzard to do Wow Classic before leaving so...I guess that's a win?  I hadn't even really heard of the guy until the last couple of months when his posts started popping up in here and I decided to take a look into who this guy really was within the last week.  He just has just been on a losing streak since leaving Blizzard and now he's doing this spiritual successor to an MMO that failed and he was ousted from nearly 10 years ago and doing crowdfunding for it for 5 years after raising 1 million for a VR reality MMO for Oculus Rift...that never came out (read Project died).

To be fair in this though...Kern says he hasn't even really advertised his game which...I'm not even sure what to make of that.  Supposedly there's a demo...at some point?  This is the last thing he's posted in terms of content regarding the game

I really am curious exaclty how much work this dude is getting done on this MMO wit him constantly tweeting and stirring the pot daily.

7 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I really am curious exaclty how much work this dude is getting done on this MMO wit him constantly tweeting and stirring the pot daily.

Also, he's 56 (born 1968). I just saw that.

I know that should mean nothing, but to me it's extra funny that a dude in his mid-fifties is on twitter all day crying about DEI and face models when his crowd funded game gets glacial updates and is likely years from being complete even if he is working on it.

Edited by axeman61

ha, mannnn this argument will never end... the mention of MK girls did remind me though of just how ugly the new Tanya is; even amongst that cast she stands out in a bad way to me... that was quite a shame there considering how she and the other ones looked previously.  Sure, eye-candy is not the only thing of importance, but it's a nice side bonus in the mix, and I don't see the point in reducing or removing that.

We need MS to hurry up and reveal more of the new Fable so that could be the next trash-fire for everyone to argue and/or laugh about 😆  I imagine that should be a good one for sure.  If they keep things more or less the same---at the very least in Fable you could choose whether that main character is a dude or a woman (in current era I'm sure it will formally be referred to as "Body type 1" or "Body type 2", of course), so there's that option in the mix.

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

ha, mannnn this argument will never end... the mention of MK girls did remind me though of just how ugly the new Tanya is; even amongst that cast she stands out in a bad way to me... that was quite a shame there considering how she and the other ones looked previously.  Sure, eye-candy is not the only thing of importance, but it's a nice side bonus in the mix, and I don't see the point in reducing or removing that.

We need MS to hurry up and reveal more of the new Fable so that could be the next trash-fire for everyone to argue and/or laugh about 😆  I imagine that should be a good one for sure.  If they keep things more or less the same---at the very least in Fable you could choose whether that main character is a dude or a woman (in current era I'm sure it will formally be referred to as "Body type 1" or "Body type 2", of course), so there's that option in the mix.

It will never end because it isn't an honest discussion. I talked about how much I hated Birdie being fat in SFV. I never got "why does it matter" comment for it. In fact, none of the vitiriol and puerile nonsense came up then. When it comes to male characters you can have real discussion on appearance. The "why does matter crowd " only holds that belief when it comes female characters being made less attractive. If it's an attractive female character they lose their minds. See the absurd Stellar Blade discourse along with the 2B and Bayonetta revisionist history. If it's a male character's appearance the reaction is either crickets or the type of articles that would make them "REEEE" if the subject was female. Hot Ryu wasn't an issue at all and to be clear, it shouldn't be one. So what if people want post thirsty articles or comments about him. There is no consistency at all. While it wasn't perfect, the discussion around BG3 was at least more reasonable. People frothing at the mouth for Astarion weren't bitching about people drooling over Shadowheart. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem