Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Stupid shit

Bro, I already posted evidencdethe other times we had this convo, with mesh compsritions even, uding blender with the ripped 3d models

Yet here you are always willfuly ignoring evdence and claiming is fake shit. 

Is clear that arguing with you about this is a fucking waste of time, so why should I bother to post again all the evidence just for you to ignore it again, lmao.

A mere glance at the pucs you posted show how thy changed the 3d model to be more masculine. 

They even went on record multiple times on interviews talking how they purposefuly made the changes to make her look stronger amd not as weak super model, yet you are ignoring all of that disingenuously. 

You always do this.

That guy seems to be an idiot based on that one tweet (can't see threads), like it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to see why that's a pretty bad situation. 

What's weird to me is people now acting like it's a problem. Were where you all 15 years ago when this started? Had to have this convo with a bunch of people about Deagons Dogma 2. "If we don't protest now it will get worse" You are 15 to 20 years too late my dude. Those protests are long dead buried back when SFxT was a thing. Hell y'all missed the boat with RE2R, 3R, 4R, MHW, MHR, and irony or ironies, Fucking Dragons Dogma 1  11 years ago!!! Lol

I'm not against a sudden change in public perception but it's funny you all want to care now lol. 

19 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Only one believing fake shit here is you to push this stupid idea that videogame characters being made ugly. They aren't, they just aren't pandering to your bishoujo pvc women statue fetish like Stellar Blade is.

Female characters in Western developed games are being made less attractive than the models they are scanned from. This isn't even debatable. You can debate why it is occurring or the rationale behind it. Unless they explicitly say so of course, however you can't say that it isn't occurring. Also rolling out Stellar Blade is just weak, at least roll out a woman with an actual unrealistic body type. Or pick someone from a fighting game, most of us here play or have played them at some point. Plenty of options there. I mean if you going pull something from Shift Up's catalog use one of the numerous female characters the lead developer's wife designed for their other games. It can runs counter to the general narrative that assumes attractive female characters only designed by dudes but hey didn't stop the Bayonetta criticism. So have at it. At least Bayonetta's body is actually unrealistic.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I am more surprisef by how he leeps replying with nonsense to every reply 😂

I'm not. He's an idiot. The worst kind of numbskull. A modern social media moron. The type that doubles down even when they are clearly wrong which only accentuates how dumb their initial take was in the first place.

36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Bro, I already posted evidencdethe other times we had this convo, with mesh compsritions even, uding blender with the ripped 3d models

Yet here you are always willfuly ignoring evdence and claiming is fake shit. 

Is clear that arguing with you about this is a fucking waste of time, so why should I bother to post again all the evidence just for you to ignore it again, lmao.

A mere glance at the pucs you posted show how thy changed the 3d model to be more masculine. 

They even went on record multiple times on interviews talking how they purposefuly made the changes to make her look stronger amd not as weak super model, yet you are ignoring all of that disingenuously. 

You always do this.

I have never denied she looked a bit more masculine the argument is if she's ugly and if they are making her uglier. You can't accuse me of "Doing this shit all the time" when you want to move the goal post from manly and ugly to a little masculine and strong. 

Yes they made her a little more masculine and strong looking because she would be living the life she lives. The argument is if they purposfully made her UGLY. The argument is they wilfully went out of their way to make her an unnattractive character. That's the actual argument you and others like the Star Wars post have been making. Bot that they are a bit more masculine or something bit they are wilfully making their characters ugly. 

That's the argument I'm railing against. Not if she's slightly more masculine or not that's brain dead obviously apparant. She's slightly heavier all around because she's carrying more muscle mass. That's relatively realistic. 

You are presenting your position dissengenously in that post. Your argument is and always has been they made her ugly, not that they made her a little more masculine and strong. 

Edited by RSG3
6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I am more surprisef by how he leeps replying with nonsense to every reply 😂

There are def some other people in the comments that are ok with this and don't seem to see what the long game issue is and its pretty disheartening.  10 years from a game like CoD: Russian Conflict will be out and it'll be like the most praised game in all of history (unbelievable I know just work with me here) and it'll break sales records over how amazing it is.  And then 10 years later nobody will be able to play the game (legally) who hasn't already because the game released either fully digital or half the game wasn't even on the disc and the servers don't have the rest of the game up.  But OH WAIT...ActiBlizz/M$ have heard your cries so they decide to port the game to whatever platforms are out now but they end up changing the content for the worse and/or they know you can't get the game any other way so the price is fully jacked up because of it.  Can't do shit about it (again...legally) so if you wanna experience this masterpiece in some way you're gonna have to fork over the jacked up price point busted port that you don't technically own anymore.   Sounds awesome!  Can't wait!

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Female characters in Western developed games are being made less attractive than the models they are scanned from. This isn't even debatable

It's actually 1000% debatable becaue beauty is 1000% subjective Darc. Your personal ideas of what is pretty isn't every single person's idea of pretty. It's just a general concensus. The fact I'm not the only one in just this one small thread alone saying they aren't ugly disproves your statement immedietly. 

Also rolling out Stellar Blade is just weak, at least roll out a woman with an actual unrealistic body type. 

Eves hips are wider then her shoulders, her body type is unrealistic. They've edited her model to be more attractive. It's not a 1 to 1 scan. 

Or pick someone from a fighting game, most of us here play or have played them at some point. Plenty of options there. I mean if you going pull something from Shift Up's catalog use one of the numerous female characters the lead developer's wife designed for their other games. It can runs counter to the general narrative that assumes attractive female characters only designed by dudes but hey didn't stop the Bayonetta criticism. So have at it. At least Bayonetta's body is actually unrealistic.

I dunno any other games Shift Up has made to pull from so I can't. Haven't done that research. From what little i know its all mobile/gacha shit i dont give a fuck about. You're welcome to name any other characters you want tho, we can go all day with that. Bayonetta's body is EXTREMELY unrealistic, her arms and legs are inhumanly long as is her torso. It serves a function beyond just titillation tho as it makes her animations much much easier to read. 

You seem to have come away from this convo thinking I have a problem with unrealistic character designs when I don't at all. I just also have 0 issue with extremely realistic character designs to, designs that fit the characters and the lives they lead. 

I love having both super model heroes and regular Joe Schmoe heroes. 

I like both of these things so there is nothing for me to rail against because I'm getting both of what I want from the games I buy. When I'm done with realism of a sort I switch to some anime ass lookin shit like FF7R, I just put over 120 hours into that and everyone's Anime JPop looking as fuck in that game and I love it. But I also love Horizon trying to sell me a reaslitc-ish role play heavy experience. I'm playing a Techno Barbarian not a runway model, I would like her to look like the Techno Barbarian she is not the super model Coomers want her to be. I would like my Outter Rim Star Wars Bounty Hunter to look like an Outter Rim Star Wars Bounty Hunter not a Super Model in the Imperial issue of Sheeves Weekly. 

Edited by RSG3

Edit:

That's disappointing if true...not surprising though.

Edit 2:

Also throwing this out there but the new tower defense stages are FUCKING INSANE.  Played a couple last night and it was so intense.  The first time, the team I was with was on point.  We were knocking down ships, calling down stuff explosions, pointing out Hulks and Tanks.  They managed to push us back a bit but we fucking HELD.  The 2nd time with my crew and 1 random we got overrun halfway threw.  They had a 5 ship drop on us at one point and it was just a see or robots, mechs and hulks all over the place.  I might have to try to clip what happened off my twitter page cause maaaaaaaan...

Edited by Sonichuman
13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Wait I thought the Dead Space 1 remake was a bug success....did I hear wrong?

Dead Space 2023's only issue was that it came out in 2023.  Looking it up it was the 2nd best selling game in Jan 2023 but nothing else numbers wise seems to have been mentioned about the game sales wise.  So the legs may just gotten cut off quick on it or this could be another "corporate expectation" versus reality scenario.  We might never know.

Tjey probably expected unrealistic sales numbers

That would be my assumption because I remember it reviewing extremely well and DS fans being over the moon with it. Hard to understand how it's a failure unless the numbers really weren't there, and as SonicHuman just said we may never know what those where. 

I was looking and there are not really sales figures out there only that it was 2nd place on the month of release. 

Also checked if the game was out at the dame time on game pass, but it hit gamepass until october, so who knows what happened. 

Specially weird since everyone I know praised the remake

Edited by Hecatom
31 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Dead Space 1 remake sold around 1.5m copies give or take but still above 1m. Iirc EA was wanting somewhere in the ballpark of 3-5m. 

Never stood a chance then.

I bet they were disappointed tha didn't sell like the REmakes.

I would nder if EA+ or whatever is called influenced how much it sold.

I think psn+ and xbox gamepass have access to it in certain tiers.

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That guy seems to be an idiot based on that one tweet (can't see threads), like it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to see why that's a pretty bad situation. 

What's weird to me is people now acting like it's a problem. Were where you all 15 years ago when this started? Had to have this convo with a bunch of people about Deagons Dogma 2. "If we don't protest now it will get worse" You are 15 to 20 years too late my dude. Those protests are long dead buried back when SFxT was a thing. Hell y'all missed the boat with RE2R, 3R, 4R, MHW, MHR, and irony or ironies, Fucking Dragons Dogma 1  11 years ago!!! Lol

I'm not against a sudden change in public perception but it's funny you all want to care now lol. 

The DLC in Dragon's Dogma 2 that people are bitching about is even less worthwhile than the bitching about DLC in DMC5. You get plenty of Ferrystones and enough Portcrystals already. And if you fast travel everywhere, you're missing 90% of the fun in the game. 

On a different topic, the D-pad on my RG350 croaked, and I haven't been able to find a replacement membrane. So I bought a Retroid Pocket 2S after seeing lots of praise for it. One of the things that always gets brought up is the superior/more user friendly OS. So far, I'd say it's massively more flexible, but it has also been a hell of a lot more annoying to get things running as intended- didn't have that problem at all with the RG350. On the upside, it's way more powerful, so I can run N64 games, and allegedly some GC games (haven't tried GC yet). Fired up F Zero X for the first time in quite a while- man, what a great game. 

34 minutes ago, Camacho said:

The DLC in Dragon's Dogma 2 that people are bitching about is even less worthwhile than the bitching about DLC in DMC5. You get plenty of Ferrystones and enough Portcrystals already. And if you fast travel everywhere, you're missing 90% of the fun in the game. 

Yea man, they picked the weirdest of Mole Hills to die on lol.

Interesting thread from a VG modeler on the real person scan discourse

I suspect that some will likely read through it and at some point just stop and go "nuh uh" and that's fine but this is some insight into what it takes to get some scanned models into the game and then tweak accordingly.  The thread even goes into some of the changes made to real scan models as well.

22 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I suspect that some will likely read through it and at some point just stop and go "nuh uh" and that's fine but this is some insight into what it takes to get some scanned models into the game and then tweak accordingly.  The thread even goes into some of the changes made to real scan models as well.

All of that is just a lot of bollocks, since we have games like MGSV and Death Stranding and none of those "nuances/issues" seem to be a problem for them 🤷‍♂️

So far this is only an issue for western devs, almost as if they either suck, or do it deliberately 🤔

Edited by Hecatom
8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The crazy thing about this whole mess is that it does not fucking matter whatsoever.  It's puddlegate, only more pathetic, since puddlegate at least stopped when Spider-Man 1 came out. I could see some bitching over things if differences between games (or models and characters) were drastic, but people are bitching over differences that are not major at all.

Hell, even if the gaming industry WAS undoubtedly making women less attractive in gaming, does that affect gameplay at all? Does it take people out of the story? The overwhelming answer seems to be no. I know for me, a woman being finer would not have moved the needle one mm on any game I loved/hated over the past 20 or so years I've been gaming. That's why this whole thing baffles me: I literally can't imagine a man over the age of 18 giving a fuck about how hot video game girls are. That is, unless it's an affront to the character somehow. All the stuff people whine about so far hasn't been.

Edited by axeman61
9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

My best friend has been 3D modeling for decades. This situation annoys him more than it does me. He thinks it's being done on purpose. Given his experience and expertise. I'm going to take the his word for it. I've known him for 33 years out of the 44 years I've lived on this Earth. So I'll trust him over some dude on Twitter/X. That aside, I'm thinking of things Quantic Dream did to 10 to 15 years ago. It didn't seem to be a problem for them.  So I'm to believe that more advanced hardware and more mature development tools makes this more difficult? And only for one gender? We got mysognistic development tools now?

MV5BZTBiZDhlNjYtMGMyYi00NzhiLWFkZGUtNTYw

Edited by Darc_Requiem
13 hours ago, Hecatom said:

All of that is just a lot of bollocks, since we have games like MGSV and Death Stranding and none of those "nuances/issues" seem to be a problem for them 🤷‍♂️

So far this is only an issue for western devs, almost as if they either suck, or do it deliberately 🤔

Saying this is a lot of bollocks is fairly out there when it's coming directly from an actual artist in the field.  I'm not even going to say "This is absolutely right and it's the gospel" because honestly people can be in an industry and not tell you the 100% truth of what goes on within it.  That being said I'm more inclined to listen to someone from the field who's actually had experience in this then someone who hasn't.  Darc has something that's at least 2nd hand anecdotal so I can understand his apprehension to this.

Again in the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes and the fact that this is blowing up like this is pretty ridiculous.  We got a whole game that has far more concerning issues about it than the protagonist having freckles, having a change of hair style, being in a different set of lighting, and having a cleft.

Again all this stuff is based off something that really doesn't matter and is 100% subjective.  I can defend Stellar Blade's design while also looking at the protagonist for this game and going "eh she looks fine to me".  Not every character I play as has to be a chiseled piece of human perfection.  I am mostly interested in hearing more about the development side of things like this to get a better understanding  which is why I put up that thread.  If you happen to see any that comes across your feeds that actually talks about why the artist tweak the models in this way that doesn't have to do with some guy on twitter who is looking more and more to being a potentially being a grifter then I'm all for reading or watching it.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Hahaha this is literally why I asked who the ugly person in the photos was cuz I saw the exact same person, even got her cleft chin correct. They gave her a different hair cut and she's under dark lighting and looks kinda dirty cuz she's an Outer Rim Bounty Hunter. It's not an audition headshot. This is like when they gave Kyle a beard as a sign of maturity and growth for Jedi Survivor 2 even tho his irl model and actor doesnt usually have one. It's in service to the character and the life they live and "world" they inhabit. 

Edited by RSG3
10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Every single of her features have been harshened.

To say that both sides are part of the same face is absurd.

It is though.  If this was a movie and they wanted this model to be playing the character and they wanted to have her look like the character that the art department draws up and envisions for their protagonist within this universe then they're gonna make up use whatever prosthetics necessary get the actor to look the way the need to.  Same principle here.  I can clearly see that its her with adjustments.  If she's going to be doing Outlaw stuff like Han then personally (again...subjective) she fits the part better looking the way she does currently.  Can she look super dolled up while doing the Kessel Run?  She sure could but thats not what they envisioned for this character.  We don't even know what she's been through yet.

27 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Every single of her features have been harshened.

To say that both sides are part of the same face is absurd.

I'm curious, and I want to get past the "to each his own" stuff: what does any of this matter?

I'm not being sarcastic; what does any of this matter?

16 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I'm curious, and I want to get past the "to each his own" stuff: what does any of this matter?

My query is this.  Why doesn't that question fall on the people making the changes in the first place?

Edited by Darc_Requiem
40 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I have a better question.

Why if it doesn't matter do we have a very obvious pattern of always doing this by western devs, and worse attack and try to censor games from usually eastern devs who don't do it by both western devs and gaming media.

Why also assume that it doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to YOU?

It is kind of mental that you even need to ask this.

It is the same reason why people care about presentation, art style, character design, gui, music and other aesthetics the games have.

Most people like to play/watch characters that are appealing to them, this is a fact.

Hence why you see games like OW having s lasting appeal due its characters.

And why selling cosmetics is a very viable financial strategy for game companies.

Just ask capcom and how many Chun Li costumes they sold.

Or why people go out their way to mod games on pc and even on consoles at times.

We all here play or played fgs, and a big part of what tends to attract players to a character is its appeal, besides gameplay.

So yes it matters and to pretend that it doesn't is disingenuous at best and willfully ignorant at worse.

I like how neither of you actually answered the question. Darc completely side stepped it and Heca went on some goofy rant as if ulgy characters haven't always existed and people purposfully make ugly as fuck characters in create characters for them to play as in multi hour RPGs. 

Hell a lot of fighting game characters are butt ugly and still get play so thats out the window there to as some default always gotta be attractive expectation lol. Even Overwstch has "ugly" characters that don't fit the traditional molds of beauty like Rat Trap and Zaryia. 

You guys keep making this into a big issue and then when asked why it matters neither of you can really manage more then "I like looking at extremely pretty things all the time and so should everyone else." 

Edited by RSG3
1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

I like how neither of you actually answered the question. 

Wow, lmao.

I did answer the question.

If yor reading comprehension is so low that you read it and think my answer is not pertinent, then dunno what to tell you.

Like I said before, you always do this, hence why arguing with you ends being a waste of time, lol.

No because that wasn't Sonic, had more to domwith it being not Sonic then being ugly since Sonics been actually ugly in plenty of successful content like the old cartoons and Sonic Adventure 1 where he looks like a fucking golem but still recognizably Sonic. 

All the people you guys have complained about still look like the people they where modeled off of just with some tweaks to fit thengame, setting and character. 

Your comparing a visual character assassination to the visual equivilant of makeup and costume work.

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh yeah been forgetting to mention,  Apparently people are loving the Fallout show at least critics review wise.  Most of my feed on twitter whenever something pops up about has been very positive.

I saw something similar on my feeds.

I would need to see for myself, but outside New Vegas, I am not really that into Fallout, so I am not into a hurry to watch it.

I did answer the question

No you didn't, you waffled on about some weird expectations the entire population supposed to have even tho there tons and tons of proof of people like "ugly" characters and visuals all the time. You even listed games that have "ugly" characters in them as well and are just as iconic and beloved as the traditionally pretty ones. I actually think you undid your own point with that post because SF and Overwwtch are full of characters people love thay don't fit any kind of traditional attractive mold like Zaria or Blanka and E. Honda. I remember everyone dunking on Zaria for being muscle bound and having pink hair but she ended up really popular despite the vocal dog pile kinda proving all this to be rather silly. 

Edited by RSG3
16 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Like I said before, you always do this, hence why arguing with you ends being a waste of time, lol.

Then put me on block and stop responding to me if im such a waste of your precious fucking time. 

Edit: To answer Axemans question from my perspective, I think it matters for the reasons stated yesterday, characters fitting the world and character they are supposed to be is important and having that Star Wars chick look like a runway model would be fucking stupid and out of character from what I know of the premise. She's a bounty hunter, she shouldn't look soft. If this where a show they would be doing her makeup in ways that harden her face and take the softness away because Bounty Hunters are not soft people. They are cold hard people that's the life they live in the Star Wars Universe. She should look the part. 

Darc and Heca seem more concerned with her looking runway ready then looking the part she's playing. 

Edited by RSG3

My query is this.  Why doesn't that question fall on the people making the changes in the first place?

Because:

1.) There's debate, even here, on if there even were changes in the first place.

2.) If there are these tiny differences between model and character (for regular characters that should be 1-1), they could be for a multitude of reasons relating to gaming engine.

3.) Again, even if there were these changes, we're talking changes where people debate if they exist. That lets you know they're not serious. Why are these non-serious changes grinding to you personally? If they changed it, what do you get out of a game where the in game model looks a little more like the face model?

47 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I have a better question.

Why if it doesn't matter do we have a very obvious pattern of always doing this by western devs, and worse attack and try to censor games from usually eastern devs who don't do it by both western devs and gaming media.

Why also assume that it doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to YOU?

It is kind of mental that you even need to ask this.

It is the same reason why people care about presentation, art style, character design, gui, music and other aesthetics the games have.

Most people like to play/watch characters that are appealing to them, this is a fact.

Hence why you see games like OW having s lasting appeal due its characters.

And why selling cosmetics is a very viable financial strategy for game companies.

Just ask capcom and how many Chun Li costumes they sold.

Or why people go out their way to mod games on pc and even on consoles at times.

We all here play or played fgs, and a big part of what tends to attract players to a character is its appeal, besides gameplay.

So yes it matters and to pretend that it doesn't is disingenuous at best and willfully ignorant at worse.

1.) Don't let whatever echo chamber you're in fool you: most people do NOT give one thrust of a fuck about this, or see any "pattern". People were crying a little over Tanya's face in MK1. MK1 still sold. People were crying over Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2. That game still sold. People were crying over Aloy's face. Forbidden West still sold. Even on social media/youtube, if there are problems brought up with those games, it has NOTHING to do with the faces. This star wars game will be the same. Whether it bombs or sells well, nobody will give a fuck about the heroine's face at that point.

2.) Art style is one thing; this fervent need for a video game girl to be hot is another. It doesn't affect gameplay, which is why most people don't care about it. And plus, the girls aren't even unattractive (to most people). I could see if they made somebody into a real dogface when the model is a hottie. Or, like, made Mary Jane a white Zendaya in Spider-Man 2 for no reason. But this is picking over tiny differences that, again, most people don't care about. So why do you care about them?

Edited by axeman61
15 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

To add a comparable question.

Do you think that the Sonic movie would had have the success it had if they kept the uggo Sonic?

Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

If we swapped out Tyson Hesse movie Sonic with "Ugly" Sonic and kept the movie exactly the same with all the story beats then the movie probably would have suffered some...by how much I don't know cause the majority (myself included) were expecting it to be a train wreck because because he looked weird.  There was just not enough care in translating what made the character work from an aesthetic stand point on the screen until Tyson fixed it.  I personally probably wouldn't have gone to see the movie maybe...and if I did it prob wouldn't have been opening weekend or anything.   The movie likely would have at least had a higher chance of bombing and not getting the sequels and shows now if word of mouth didn't bring sales up.

And even still though, while Tyson Hesse's Movie Sonic looks better, he's still not a 1 to 1 conversion of the character design wise in the film.  They made his character fit what they wanted aesthetically for the film while also respecting the source design.  And then even further still, I get what you are trying to say but this doesn't fully apply here because Sonic is an established IP/character and not an original character trying fit in an already established mythos or an completely new one built from scratch.  If they had completely removed Sonic from the name of the movie and then made Ugly Sonic uhh...I da know...Puke Green and changed up the story beats of the movie to not make them Sonic related then people had a whole fall out on what the protagonist of this movie looked like because he looked unappealing then it'd be on the level of what you are trying to get at.