Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

yeah, it's a shame that despite sidescrolling action still being a popular thing in gaming... there is no modern/recent X-men game like that I'm aware of.  All that comes to mind at the moment is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 which of course is more of a general Marvel game (incredible roster of characters, btw; an obvious must-have for any fan that has Switch... funny how that game imo easily shits all over that recent "Avengers" game on the bigger systems; it's not even close), and it's not a 2d sidescroller type of thing.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

This is an issue for the "Souls" games in general, the amount of people who include Sekiro in that category is pretty painful and people are calling Stellar Blade a Souls game now to, and like yea i see the influence but fucking nooooo!!!!!

Yeah I agree, Sekiro has fuck all to do with souls yet because you rest at a "bonfire" and From makes it it's somehow lumped in.

Rayman Legends. After buying the Wii U version and never played it, I picked it up on Switch about two months ago and I'm making my way through the first world. Rayman Legends deserves all the praise it gets. Tons of characters to play, beautiful, challenging levels and a superb soundtrack. Like Origins before it, Legends kicks lives to the curve. I think Rayman Origins was one of the first games I played to do away with lives and considering all the times I died playing that game (what is with all the spikes, were the devs a fan of Mega Man 9?), I did not mind lives going bye-bye

Picked up Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on Switch. This is my first Elder Scrolls game and I'm liking it so far. I'm tempted to steal some stuff but I worry if that may make things hard on me later.

18 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I'm randomly curious: did the Stellar Blade devs do anything besides make a hot main character to get embroiled in this loser-ass culture war? I've seen next to nothing about this game but that stuff, until the gameplay demos in the past week.

44 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I'm randomly curious: did the Stellar Blade devs do anything besides make a hot main character to get embroiled in this loser-ass culture war? I've seen next to nothing about this game but that stuff, until the gameplay demos in the past week.

They really didn't. They spent more time talking about their main character model and her real life model (who deffintily doesn't have that ass, funny how its ok to change that) then ever talking about the game. 

And that super sucks because based on the demo it's not bad. It's stiff as fuck and you really have to dig into it to figure out how it wants you to play and how to play fast and aggressive, but once you do it's a good enough time. Like it's fun. You also want to go into the settings and flip some switches like the one that lets you redirect attacks midcombo if you aren't locked on. That's something you jeed to toggle in the options menu among a few others. It helps a lot. Also the Dodge is dog shit. Even after you upgrade it to let you dodge twice it's still terrible. It's perfect dodge or bust. Don't think it can be a movement or positioning tool like in Bayonnetta or Nier Automata or even DMC or something like that cuz its not. It's trash. There is also some lag in the controls especially on dodge and block yoymu need to compensate for. Overall tho once you find the games flow it's pretty fun. 

But it also revealed to me the only reason this games getting the attention it is, is because of the drama, because the gameplays fine but it's not amazing. It's like Darksiders 3 tier based on what's in the Demo. I got tons of vids in my feed calling it GOTY potential and the new Nier Automata and just no. Not even close. Not based on what's in this demo. It doesn't control tight enough to even be in that tier imo. 

Lot of people getting mesmerized by fake Korean ass lol. 

Edited by RSG3

Ha, of course they patch the damn PS Portal to shift it back to being a useless, joke piece of trash.  Really, I wouldn't even accept that contraption if someone was giving it away for free.  

The amazing thing is that a lot of people apparently were actually buying it.  I bet some of the suits at Sony were even surprised. (and laughing)

It being exploited once means it will be exploited again. I'll take a free one for sure lol. I'll just hold onto it till the next exploit drops. Till then free streaming machine for when I'm on the can. 

I wouldn't buy one tho. 

2 hours ago, axeman61 said:

The gaming press can't handle a female character that's attractive. They've been losing their minds about Eve's character model recently. And are also pretending that they've always loved Bayonetta and that Eve is somehow worse than Bayonetta. Setting the receipts of them being full of shit aside. They are either being completely disingenuous or haven't played any Bayonetta games. It's probably a little of both.

Edit: Project Eve (Stellar Blade) 2021 Trailer

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I do think based on what's presented in the Demo that Eves sexualization is kinda out of place and clashes with the Melodrama pretty badly. The voyeristic camera is kinda goofy when it wants me to take what's going on seriously lol.

The sexualization here so far is deffinitly lesser then it was in Bayonetta or Nier Automata. Hell there are parts of this game that don't even feel finished, Eve doesn't have a death animation. The screen just fades out to the Game over screen. Her ass jiggles juuuuuuuust right tho, but maybe it earns it in the full game, I dunno. 

Edited by RSG3
33 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah I need this.  Ran into the aerial gunships last night and holy shit do things go south if you don't take them out.

Dude. Those gunships are ridiculous.  They decimated our entire team and we failed to even start extraction on a mission last night.  Luckily we had completed the mission objectives before we ran into them, but damn.

I was looking at an old issue of EGM just now....yeah I still have plenty of those.... April of 1994 so 30(!) years ago...there was a video game starring Kirk Cameron that I forgot existed.  "The Horde" on 3DO....from Crystal Dynamics.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horde_(video_game)

The "Arcade Action" section also spotlighted Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo ("EGM Exclusive!"), and the mysterious new boss character we'd later know as Akuma.

I never had that 3DO....I remember it was quite expensive at the time; 500 or 600 dollars, somewhere in that range.

There's also a preview of 7th Guest on CD-i... I wanted to get that one back then....and then I found out that like *most* of the CDi games, you needed an extra thing called the "Digital Video Card" which was another $250.  I think 7th Guest is actually on the Switch now.

*BG3 today---I found those 2 lazy asshole duergar in the Underdark... yep, we killed them.  The others didn't see it so...no consequences.

Edited by MillionX

Bayonetta plays up the sexy better than Eve does since it's baked into her personality.  I'm not getting any of that out of anything I've seen out of Eve from any of the gameplay or story bits that have been seen thus far.  I mean if it gets people to drop $70 on the game then I can't knock the hustle.  Sex sells but if that's the main draw and the gameplay and story substance to go with it then it's really not going to matter in the long run.  I will be very curious to see what the full game shapes up to be once it's in everyone's hands and the dusts settles.   I'm not expecting this game to set the world on fire unless there's some crazy tech or story beats that really set things off and that may not necessarily be a bad thing...especially since this is Shift Up's first serious high budge game.  I think I'll be more interested to see what they learn from the feed back and development of this game for the next one.

Vids

Hellblade II has its own discourse surrounding it cause supposedly the game is roughly 8 hours or something?  Only glanced at some of it that showed up since it was part of a bigger overall recurring discourse regarding length of games and whether that makes them better or have more value or whatever.

12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Bayonetta plays up the sexy better than Eve does since it's baked into her personality.  I'm not getting any of that out of anything I've seen out of Eve from any of the gameplay or story bits that have been seen thus far.  I mean if it gets people to drop $70 on the game then I can't knock the hustle.  Sex sells but if that's the main draw and the gameplay and story substance to go with it then it's really not going to matter in the long run.  I will be very curious to see what the full game shapes up to be once it's in everyone's hands and the dusts settles.   I'm not expecting this game to set the world on fire unless there's some crazy tech or story beats that really set things off and that may not necessarily be a bad thing...especially since this is Shift Up's first serious high budge game.  I think I'll be more interested to see what they learn from the feed back and development of this game for the next one.

Stellar Blade doesn't really play up the sexy. The game is far more like Nier Automata in presentation than Bayonetta. Which is fitting because that was the main inspiration for the game in the first place. It's a game with an attractive lead that by in large "plays it straight". The most I've seen, from an in game standpoint, is the "Olympic Gymnastics" cameraman shots of Eve when she get's pulled out of her pod by Tachy. In fact most of the "sexy" in Stellar Blade is gamers playing with the camera like they did with 2B.

This is what makes the vitriolic reaction from the gaming press ridiculous. Especially from people that had a cow over Bayonetta that are pretending other wise. There are people on the internet that live to say "this you", so how they thought it wouldn't get called out is beyond me. The "professional" coverage of the game has centered on Eve's appearance. And I use the term professional loosely because it's anything but. "Professional" outlets shouldn't be launching basesless personal attacks on the developers like some low rent internet trolls. However, gaming press is low rent, so I suppose it's to be expected.

The only real reason Bayonetta's been brought up so much is members of the press saying Bayonetta is okay but Eve is not. Stellar Blade, in presentaton, and gameplay has little in common with Bayonetta. The fact that gaming media keeps making this connection is just another example of how worthless they are. The comparison could be excused prior to the demo being dropped, but there is a demo. You can play the game and see that the comparison is not a good one. Then again, expecting game journalists to play the games that they cover is big ask. :tldr:

Side note: Yes, I shit on the gaming media a lot in this post. They deserve every bit of it.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
17 hours ago, RSG3 said:

They really didn't. They spent more time talking about their main character model and her real life model (who deffintily doesn't have that ass, funny how its ok to change that) then ever talking about the game. 

That is not teally the fault of the devs but the lametastic gaming "press" that since day 1 of the announcement has been at war with the game due having a character that is not ugly.

They have been releasing info about the gameplay inspirations etc since very early, but the gaming press has been only focusing on Eve.

The last ign article for example, attacking the ceo saying his is an incel who probably never saw a woman, despite him being married to the sr. character designer of stellar blade and nikke 😂😂

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The only real reason Bayonetta's been brought up so much is members of the press saying Bayonetta is okay but Eve is not. 

Which is hilarious because Bayonetta until recently was attacked for being sexy.

The only reason she is ok now is because the usual retarded subsect of twitter decided she was a gay icon now, which is why they were at arms due her being canonically paired with Luca and having a daughter together.

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

That is not teally the fault of the devs but the lametastic gaming "press" that since day 1 of the announcement has been at war with the game due having a character that is not ugly.

They have been releasing info about the gameplay inspirations etc since very early, but the gaming press has been only focusing on Eve.

The last ign article for example, attacking the ceo saying his is an incel who probably never saw a woman, despite him being married to the sr. character designer of stellar blade and nikke 😂😂

Okay now this Bayonetta worthy comparsion. They "gaming press" was attacking Bayonetta's character design. Disparaging men over it and Bayonetta's character designer, Mari Shimazaki, is a woman. They never learn. Basic research is something journalist's should do but we are talking about gaming "journalists" here. The fact that here we are a decade plus on and they haven't learned a damn thing...

shocker-shocked.gif

Edited by Darc_Requiem
36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yes it is. Studios have approval of questions, they could very easily say "Hey let's talk about the gameplay now" but they don't. It's both their faults, the Jourbos for sticking to one stupid topic and the Developers never having the fortitude to say they want to talk about other aspects of the game now. 

These developers are adults not children, stop acting like they got strong armed by the gaming media.

YouTube accounts are free, they could have done their own coverage like so many Indi Developers do. There's no excuse dude. They wanted to focus on Eve just as much as the Journos did. It was more important to them to talk about their model then the gameplay was. 

As I told Darc, i can whine about both groups failing to do an even halfway decent job of talking about this game. 

36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The last ign article for example, attacking the ceo saying his is an incel who probably never saw a woman, despite him being married to the sr. character designer of stellar blade and nikke 😂

I don't care...at all. The journo drama is fucking stupid like we really gotta trot out "You can't spell ignorant..." again? I don't give 1 single fuck about IGN France. Like I really don't get why you guys keep caring about reporting sites that are BARELY above tabloid journalism.  I sure as shit don't. Haven't cared about 1 single thing IGN anyone has said in 20 years. They are a tabloid rag thay gets money from pissing you all off. It's a grift at best. They don't need to do research, they need to generate clicks and pissing you all off drives more business for them then doing real reporting ever has. I still to this day hear about God Hands 3 from IGN, like saying incendiary stuff keeps them far more relevant then actually reporting gaming news does. 

Edited by RSG3
22 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

As I told Darc, i can whine about both groups failing to do an even halfway decent job of talking about this game. 

The onus is on the interviewer to ask the questions. Not the interviewee. Moreover, it's typically frowned upon when a interview full of pre-approved questions. If I'm interviewing you and you have to feed me the questions to ask you, then I need to be replaced. Someone that can do the job needs to conduct the interview.

23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I don't care...at all. The journo drama is fucking stupid like we really gotta trot out "You can't spell ignorant..." again? I don't give 1 single fuck about IGN France. Like I really don't get why you guys keep caring about reporting sites that are BARELY above tabloid journalism. 

You don't get why gamers should excpect professional news outlets to do their jobs. These outlets should be held to higher standard than some random chud on Twitter/X.  I don't care for any of these sites but they set the overall narrative around our hobby. We can look at the discourse around Stellar Blade as example of that. This was the case for the Hogwart's Legacy nonsense and frankly can be traced all the way back to ME3 ending drama. In additional to not going their sites or viewing their Youtube videos. We call them on their bullshit and it's clearly working because more and more of them are going under.

41 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The onus is on the interviewer to ask the questions. Not the interviewee. Moreover, it's typically frowned upon when a interview full of pre-approved questions. If I'm interviewing you and you have to feed me the questions to ask you, then I need to be replaced. Someone that can do the job needs to conduct the interview.

The onus is on the developer to sell their product to me, the consumer. The entire point of the interview is to help sell me the product. Bro if the only thing they ask you about your game is your MCs ass, you need to step up and get the train back on the tracks. Tell them the interview is over, tell them they need to direct their questions elsewhere. Tell them you've answered these questions already. You are not beholden to them and their questions. I've seen plenty of developers pass a question by or say they don't want to talk about that subject. He's a full grown adult thats the head of an entire team of people, I think he can handle a goofy games journalist. They dont have to be pre-approved questions but he can certainly control some of the subject matter they discuss. I dunno why you and Hecatom are treating this development team like they have no agency in the discussion of their own game.

41 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You don't get why gamers should excpect professional news outlets to do their jobs.

No I don't get why you keep expecting thay kind of behaivor from a reporting site that hasn't done any of thay shit for 30 years. It's like picking up the inquirer at the grocery store and going "Can you believe they report this shit?" YES! I can. They've been doing it for multiple decades now. It's why I don't read The Inquirer, or IGN. 

I understand why gamers want journalists who do their jobs and there are lots thay do, I just don't understand how they continue to care about the ones that haven't ever done it. How many times do you have to get fucked in the ass by IGN before you stop paying attention to them? All this drama and whining is good for them. You guys act like your making this big statement by critiquing them but all youre doing is giving them attention and eyes and then eventually clicks as people go to find out what the fuss is. 

And no it isn't working they aren't going under. IGN hasn't been remotly close to going under. At worst they rebrand. You guys haven't stopped Sessler from Sessling. You haven't stopped IGN from IGNing. I'm stunned at how important you guys think you are. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@RSG3I'm gonna keep it 100 with you. I find your stance on this to be completely ridiculous. So much so that  I see no point in engaging you this. Your interview stance is just patently absurd. Everyone should just drop press releases with FAQs.

That's fine, I think acting like game developers have 0 agency in the interview process is also completely ridiculous and observably absurd. 

And we don't have to agree, disagreeing is part of what makes this place cool. 

I'm not against press releases that bypass the generally pointless interview and just tells me about the fucking product. That would frankly, be fucking wonderful lol. 

Edited by RSG3

Technically the interviewer and the interviewee should both have the onus since it's supposed to be give and take.  Emphasis on "supposed to be".  The person asking questions should be trying to get info about whatever is that they think would be important about the subject or what they think they're readers would care about regarding the subject.  The person answering should be give answers about the subject in question especially if its something that they're trying to promote and in the hopes that any answers they give will help generate buzz.  In the case of Stellar Blade unfortunately for better or worse everything seemed to have more of a major focus on the character's look.  I don't believe that this was just something that lays at the feet of the interviewers because one of the very first things that people will notice in the first introduction of this character in the reveal trailer is obvious. (Also by the way man Eve went through a hell of change from then to now eh?).  And It's even more obvious when the rereveal happened that they're doing it to get your attention.  I'm not gonna knock the hustle cause again...it sells.  This discourse is doing exactly what it's supposed to do and its generating buzz for both the journalists who want to point and scream "look at the oversexualization of this character!" all the while Shift Up doesn't do anything to steer the conversation away from it because it's keeping the game in people's minds.  I mean if I'm in Shift Up's position from a business perspective and I think my game is solid...why would I want to tell the press to not talk about the game when it's generating buzz like this for positive or negative?    All the supposed "criticism" about Eve has a high chance of actually working in Shift Up's favor since it'll get people who probably were "meh" on it to try the demo and probably discover the game may actually have some substance instead of passing on it.

Edited by Sonichuman
19 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Technically the interviewer and the interviewee should both have the onus since it's supposed to be give and tack.

The whole point of the interview is to sell the product, so yea it's deffinitly both of their responsibilty to represent the product well. 

Imo they've both failed.