Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

4 minutes ago, Camacho said:

The best part of HZD's gameplay was the way you could target weak points and blow up/rip parts off of enemies. Human combat was terribly lame. The story gets interesting later. 

Yeah I'm not into games with complex combat like HZD seemed to have with scouting paths and setting traps and having to go through all these menus to switch to specific items and weapons.  I just wanna shoot and kill shit lol. 

Like in God of War, I know you can do all this fancy stuff, but I didn't bother with any of that stuff.  I pretty much used the same 3-4 moves the entire game.

I'm not saying HZD is a bad game or anything, it's just not a game I liked.

Edited by purbeast
14 minutes ago, Camacho said:

The best part of HZD's gameplay was the way you could target weak points and blow up/rip parts off of enemies. Human combat was terribly lame. The story gets interesting later. 

Story got really good when Sylens shows up. Love that they modeled the character after Lance Reddick.  Really gonna miss Lance if/when a third game releases. 

I always used stealth as much as possible for the raider outposts,  so I actually enjoyed the human combat.  It wasn't groundbreaking,  but it was fun. 

Horizon Zero Dawn at the end of the day is an action RPG, so it's paced like one, if you aren't grabbed by the world and characters situation from the beginning, or the gameplay itself doesn't hook you, then you probably spent going to last long enough with it to make it to when the story gets interesting. Hell there's a decent chance the story getting interesting still won't be enough. 

I thought thr voice work for the most part was very good. Has a few spots here and there thay are bit rough, especially early on, but game finds it footing imo. The sequel handles all thay kind of stuff much better. 

But yea if youre not into long action rpgs with slow burn narratives that really want you to engage with their mechanics then it probably isn't for you. 

That upcoming Dragonball game looks great, and yeah I'm most likely getting it asap.... but I am already wondering if they'll leave Zarbon out yet again.  For some strange reason, it's like the various developers of DBZ games over the years have some weird little vendetta about that character, as he's always left out or just not represented properly.  I don't even recall him being in much of anything other than that first Budokai game....where they put him in the game with NO CAPE.....yeah that shit still irks me whenever I think about it, all these years later....like imagine putting Batman or Superman in a game...with no cape....get the hell out of here with that.  It wouldn't surprise me if they added silly fatass Yajirobe before even considering Zarbon (or Dodorria).

It is a good thing that the DB games eventually got good with actual competent developers working on things..... some of the older ones I remember were either just "ok"/half-ass at best or looked like straight up trash I'd rather not play.  I remember Budokai being very odd in terms of gameplay...and I was really just tolerating it because it was the Dragonball IP in videogame form.

Just now, MillionX said:

That upcoming Dragonball game looks great, and yeah I'm most likely getting it asap.... but I am already wondering if they'll leave Zarbon out yet again.  For some strange reason, it's like the various developers of DBZ games over the years have some weird little vendetta about that character, as he's always left out or just not represented properly.  I don't even recall him being in much of anything other than that first Budokai game....where they put him in the game with NO CAPE.....yeah that shit still irks me whenever I think about it, all these years later....like imagine putting Batman or Superman in a game...with no cape....get the hell out of here with that.  It wouldn't surprise me if they added silly fatass Yajirobe before even considering Zarbon (or Dodorria).

It is a good thing that the DB games eventually got good with actual competent developers working on things..... some of the older ones I remember were either just "ok"/half-ass at best or looked like straight up trash I'd rather not play.  I remember Budokai being very odd in terms of gameplay...and I was really just tolerating it because it was the Dragonball IP in videogame form.

Zarbon has been in every Tenkaichi/Sparking game so I don't think that is going to stop now.  Dodoria was in all of them as well I believe and Yajirobe was in at least 2 and 3.

That also reminds me--- back in the day I did have an unreasonable bias/hatred of the character Yajirobe.... something about him just made me want to see any other character beat his ass.

...it would be nice if Bleach finally got this level of attention and production quality in a game these days, especially with what the latest saga to be animated has brought to the table now....but there's probably little to no hope of that.  There's some Bleach mobile game that's been a thing for years now but that's the problem, imo... it's a goddamn mobile game.  I want something major and made for real gaming systems.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is really  good. I broke into a gated area early, and it's been pure chaos. Large enemies all over the place, sometimes stopping chasing you only to stomp some mooks and fight each other.  Had to ferrystone out the first time- went down some steep cliffs after barely surviving the mooks, only to get my ass kicked by a dragon waiting at the bottom.  Ran away from the dragon with one pawn alive, only to get chased by more mob enemies and another large enemy. Usually, in these kind of games, they'll stop chasing you- sure as hell didn't seem to be the case here, as I ended up with a huge group running after me that only kept growing.  Eventually got dragged to death by some red wolves. Went back in a second time from a different entry and a little more prepared, but it's still been hell from the jump. Very memorable experiences all over so far.

On 2/22/2024 at 11:26 AM, RSG3 said:

I even just described Sekiro lol. Trees, Water and Dragons lol.

I want to harm you for saying this, but you are not incorrect.

And yeah, I agree that any FromSoft content that isn't made by them would be iffy. Bluepoint did an amazing job with Demon's Souls, and I'm sure they'd improve with another remake. With that said, do we really need a remake for Bloodborne? The gap between when Demon's Souls came out and its remake was 11 years, the gap during which gaming tech evolved a lot. It's been nine years since Bloodborne came out, and I can't say that graphical improvements have come so far as to necessitate that. Arkham Knight came out at a similar time and is still one of the best looking games today. Upscale it a touch or retexture weak points in the game, sure, but I don't see it needing a whole remake. A port would do just fine, and I do think that Bluepoint can make that happen fairly simply. Even if its not them, FromSoft could task the world-famous B team with it. It's not like Armored Core is getting deep, romantic love at the moment.

With that said, I think Bloodborne is overrated. It wouldn't be my next project if my daddy worked at FromSoft and chose what games to work on next.

I'd work on Sekiro 2, either as a prequel or an immediate sequel to the first (totally not biased here). Dark Souls is over, so if they don't work on Sekiro 2, a new IP could be cool. Bloodborne is still amazing, but I don't see much room for them to make a follow up story, and they could easily dump the porting task to someone else and work on something new.

I am currently playing through Dark Souls 3 for the first time, and holy shit, High Wall of Lothric is so poorly designed. Combat is super fun though. I just hate how the shield works in this game, coming right off a replay of DS1. My girlfriend is buying me Elden Ring soon. It was her birthday recently, and she was happy with the stuff I got her. As a reward, she has decided to bless me with more garbage. Thanks, babe.

3 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I want to harm you for saying this, but you are not incorrect.

Hey man Fromsoft loves a particular theme. Dunno why pointing that put makes you wanna harm me lmao. 

I want to stress that I don't think BluePoint did a bad job on Demons Souls, in fact I think they did a really good job and I recommend the remake to anyone interested in it. I've just been playing their shit for too long, I recognize when shits changed or when the point is missed. I know the Lore well enough to recognize the small details, I know how to nit pick this stuff. 

Also.inagree with yoy thay I don't think Bloodborne needs a remake. It just needs an upscale and a 60fps release. That's all Bloodborne actually needs. It's a beautiful game still to this day, it just moves kinda muddy. 

I would also absolutly love if they made more Sekiro after Shadows of the ErdTree DLC. 

I never though the High Wall was all that badly designed, it just has some environmental nonsense that can be a little tough to figure out how to get around. 

Edited by RSG3

https://www.siliconera.com/eves-long-hair-extended-stellar-blade-development-time/

During the interview, Director Kim Hyung-Tae said that he wanted to take advantage of the capabilities of the PS5 to express the flow of movement of the costumes and hair. However, rendering Eve’s long ponytail proved to be a big challenge. When asked about development impact for Stellar Blade when rendering such long hair compared to a shorter haircut, the director said that development might have been about a year shorter if they settled on a shorter hairstyle.

11 hours ago, Dayaan said:

With that said, I think Bloodborne is overrated. It wouldn't be my next project if my daddy worked at FromSoft and chose what games to work on next.

I'd work on Sekiro 2, either as a prequel or an immediate sequel to the first (totally not biased here). Dark Souls is over, so if they don't work on Sekiro 2, a new IP could be cool. Bloodborne is still amazing, but I don't see much room for them to make a follow up story, and they could easily dump the porting task to someone else and work on something new.

Overrated how?

A remake, no, but a remaster absolutely. 60fps, upscale it, maybe even flesh out the Chalice Dungeons a bit more and I'd be happy. It's a Sony IP though so the ball is in their court when it comes to any of this.

A Sekiro prequel doesn't seem like the right idea imo, but if we use the Return ending as the canon ending, then I guess Wolf and divine child's trip to find thr birthplace of thr divine dragon could be something. 

5 hours ago, iStu X said:

I know I’m quoting myself but the wild part is that Embracer group originally paid $1.7b USD for gear box. 🤯 

They paid 1.7 BILLION for Gearbox. WTF. Yet that isn't nearly as stupid as Square Enix selling all of their western studios, IPS included, for $300 million. Yes I'm bringin it up again and I will continue to do so because that's the level of stupid that is rarely seen. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Overrated how?

It's extremely popular with people who don't often recognize its  faults and issues. 

That's how still an amazing game but I legit have people tell me the chalice dungeons & Blood Gems are fine. 

They  are not. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Setting aside all of the gameplay impressions and videos that have already posted, demo is literally dropping tomorrow. 

Yea I know but I would like the dev to talk about their game. Call me crazy I wanna hear from the people who made the damn thing. 

But yea cool a demo thats nice to. 

Edited by RSG3
44 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea I know but I would like the dev to talk about their game. Call me crazy I wanna hear from the people who made the damn thing. 

But yea cool a demo thats nice to. 

The dev is going to talk about what he's asked about. These interviewers aren't asking him that question.

22 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The dev is going to talk about what he's asked about. These interviewers aren't asking him that question.

Yea, they're doing a shit job to,  I don't disagree on that.  

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

It's extremely popular with people who don't often recognize its  faults and issues. 

That's how still an amazing game but I legit have people tell me the chalice dungeons & Blood Gems are fine. 

They  are not. 

You could say that about any game though since no game is perfect. What faults and issues?

Chalice Dungeons and blood gems  aren't bad in and of themselves, but I think the necessity of having to grind for gems if you want to duel or have an effective invasion build keeps more people from wanting to do it,  although I actually kind of enjoyed scouring the sheets of glyphs to find the right gems but that's just me. But outside of pvp (or trying to plat the game in the case of the dungeons) both of those things are entirely optional and you can get through the pve portion of the game without touching them.

Edited by DoctaMario
42 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You could say that about any game though since no game is perfect. What faults and issues?

Of course you could. It's deffinitly my own opinion here about Bloodborne.  It's  ones inability to recognize or accept them that inwas critiquing. 

42 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

What faults and issues?

The Frame Rate sucks. 

I don't think the Chalice Dungeons are fine I think they are repetitive and boring. I don't find them terribly compelling and they get worse as you go. The entire set that just chops your health in half can suck my dick lol. 

I also don't like Blood Gens because they turn PVP is a huge grind before you can really participate.  It makes invasions so fucking ass because I'll get invaded by people I can't come anywhere close to being able to compete with because I haven't Chalice Dungeon Dived then did the Gem Grind to be able to. In Elden Ring or Dark Souls I just make my build. I don't like grinding gems because I don't like Chalice Dungeons and so then I don't end up like being invaded which is something in these games I usually really like. Not getting invaded is missing a big part of the game imo, it's why I don't like Elden Rings invasions rules where you can't be solo invaded without using the tongue. The unexpectedness is half the point imo, I use the tongue or summon I expect to get invaded. Kills half the fun imo. 

So Bloodbornes gems ruin the invasion aspect for me, and I don't find the Chalice Dungeons fun enough to engage with the Blood Gem Farm to "fix" the invasion issue. I have to either sprint to the Boss or just accept that I'm probably going back to the Lamp no matter what I do. 

Edit: I'm having contact issues today so please forgive any typos I don't manage to see and fix. 

Edited by RSG3
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Seems like you passed my progress but I'm not surprised based on how some of the later matches go.

Spoiler

She starts with a card on the field that has a broken ass ability. On top of that none of her cards have ranks. So she can play literally any card she wants. Almost all of them (that I’ve seen) are Boss cards and Summons. 

It’s some absolute bullshit. Her match breaks every rule of the game. I haven’t beat her yet. 

As for progress, I’m on chapter 12 right now. About to be going to temple of the ancients. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, iStu X said:

Queens Blood

Reveal hidden contents

Shadow Blood Queen is a dirty fucking cheater. 

Seems like you passed my progress, but I'm not suprised. Some of the later players just flat out cheap. Edit: Sorry Stu, I deleted the original post to avoid having to double post. We are actually at the same point the game. You are just farther than me in Queens Blood.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, they're doing a shit job to,  I don't disagree on that.  

Well they are games journalists, so a shit job is to be expected. 😉

Edited by Darc_Requiem