Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I'm sure I've said as much before, but while I'm glad I made the switch to PC gaming in 2015, I am also regularly reminded that a large percentage of PC gamers (or at least the sort that populate forums and reviews on Steam) are the worst. 

Edited by Camacho

Streets of Rage 4 + the DLC was also on sale for super cheap on Steam recently; couldn't help myself... yep I have it again portable now on the Steam Deck.  I can't get enough of that one....already racked up several achievements just on the first few stages of Story mode, including the Combo Master (get an "Out of this World Combo!") one which was a bit surprising.  SOR4 continues to be one of the absolute top-rank beatemups to me, especially with what was added in that dlc (survival mode, extra color options and characters).  

5 hours ago, Camacho said:

I'm sure I've said as much before, but while I'm glad I made the switch to PC gaming in 2015, I am also regularly reminded that a large percentage of PC gamers (or at least the sort that populate forums and reviews on Steam) are the worst. 

I game on my PC but I still find it to be significantly more trouble and a hassle then my consoles lol. There's just some stuff I have to play there. 

Extra

This is...pretty accurate. 

Speaking of this we ran into the Shriekers night before last and My fucking GOD...I can easily see these fuckers climbing the ranks of being the biggest nuisance.  You mean I gotta deal with Hunters elbow dropping me on the ground and and these guys buzzing around my head like flies WHILE having the potential to OHKO you?  Bruh....

51 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

This is...pretty accurate. 

Speaking of this we ran into the Shriekers night before last and My fucking GOD...I can easily see these fuckers climbing the ranks of being the biggest nuisance.  You mean I gotta deal with Hunters elbow dropping me on the ground and and these guys buzzing around my head like flies WHILE having the potential to OHKO you?  Bruh....

Yeah dude.  After I left yall last night I tried some bugs and we were getting one shot AFTER we killed them in the air.  

50 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I remember the hassle and trouble RSG talked about having when playing games on PC.  He had to close some window after he launched steam.  🤣

What? I don't use Steam....least haven't for a few years anyway. Wonder what game that was...

Suyu gets hit with a DMCA

https://www.gamesradar.com/despite-confidence-it-could-avoid-nintendo-legal-troubles-switch-emulator-suyu-struck-down-from-gitlab-over-alleged-dmca-takedown-its-creator-thinks-could-be-a-hoax/

It's not clear if Nintendo were the ones who issued it or not at this moment.

vids

Spoiler

^Alone in the Dark _- The Dark Road to Derceto Uncut (Redband Trailer)

Legend of Legacy HD Remastered - Launch Trailer

Princess Peach: Showtime@ - Launch Trailer

extra

Kyle Bosman - Some Games Matter More

^mostly talking about games (and sort of media) that have the most impact may not always be the ones that make the most money....really relevant to Avatar.

Edited by Sonichuman
17 hours ago, Hecatom said:

BTW, it seems that the day has finally come.

Kotaku is imploding.

Their parent company is forcing them to stop talking about politics, insulting gamers, etc and to pivot on reporting only about games and make guides.

So of course, most of the staff has quit.

Only a staff of 7 people is left 🤣

It is very possible that the mandate of having to do 15? 50? guides per week is a way to clean house 🤣

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

What is even happening anymore

Sweet Baby Inc decided to make a mountain out of the tiniest of mole hills and it's blown up in their face epically. No one really knew who they were before they attacked Kabrutus over Sweet Baby Inc Detected. Now people are aware of them and not in positive light. So now some publishers/developers are trying to hide Sweet Baby Inc's involvement in their games.....which has had the effect you think it would have.

13 hours ago, Chadouken said:

GGs tonight @Sonichuman

That was my first time doing bots on suicide.  Shit was mad crazy 😂

That was you rolling with us?!  I didn't know!!!  I didn't recognize the name.  You were an amazing help!  Absolutely GGs!!  This was our first time setting foot on Maleveon and yeah...I can see how we lost it.  Joel was hell bent on not letting us raid that radar base.

15 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

That was you rolling with us?!  I didn't know!!!  I didn't recognize the name.  You were an amazing help!  Absolutely GGs!!  This was our first time setting foot on Maleveon and yeah...I can see how we lost it.  Joel was hell bent on not letting us raid that radar base.

Yeah that was me lol. Sorry I wasn't on comms, I was in a discord party with some buddies back in Virginia. But I had fun playing with yall! We actually completed a couple suicide bot missions-  my first time trying them.  

Those radar bases are a pain the ass.  I once had one that was close enough to extraction to block stratagems, so we had no choice but to go and destroy it. I was like, "I see you,  Joel,  you fucker"  😂

So I spent a little over an hour trying to get Dragons Dogma 2 to launch.  It never did.  Would just crash on launch.  I fuckin' refunded that shit.

So instead I'll try out Horizon Forbidden West.

Edit - in a few months or more (once they remove denuvo if they remove it) I'll pirate DD2 and make sure the game will launch before I buy it.  It looks really fun.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
6 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So I spent a little over an hour trying to get Dragons Dogma 2 to launch.  It never did.  Would just crash on launch.  I fuckin' refunded that shit.

So instead I'll try out Horizon Forbidden West.

Edit - in a few months or more (once they remove denuvo if they remove it) I'll pirate DD2 and make sure the game will launch before I buy it.  It looks really fun.

It took like 15 minutes to compile the shaders the first time I launched it,  no crashes though. 

9 hours ago, Camacho said:

It took like 15 minutes to compile the shaders the first time I launched it,  no crashes though. 

I didnt even get that far.  It crashed 3 seconds after launching it.  That's a long time compiling shaders.  Only other game I've played that took a long time was TLoU and that took like 30 minutes.  They've cut that down significantly...it takes like 3-5 minutes now. 

So I got Horizon 2 installed and wow, its 130gb.  DD2 was 70gb.  Horizon 2 runs fine though.  I hope its not so boring as the first game was at the start.

Streets of Rage 4---- Estel is such a monster in Survival mode...  up at level 18 and just hit with a 121 hit combo; her star move just devastated the entire screen since I picked that upgrade that adds rockets to your star move....whole screen of enemies just got nuked; it was beautiful.

Earlier I was playing another favorite; Shiva...hadn't played this in a while but I made it to level 22.  

Randomized Survival mode is a thing that should just be a standard expectation in beatemups from now on.  I can't get enough of it.

...just unlocked a lot more artwork as well from that survival run; the art on this game is some of the best I've ever seen on a videogame.  Whoever that is should definitely work on as much more stuff as possible.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I don’t even need to watch the video Oversaturation and creed specifically by Activision as well as others copying the toys to life model. The only reasons amiibo have lasted as long as they have is due to legacy characters by fan favorite franchises as well as amiibo has never promoted amiibo as a toys to life. 

To go on a weird tangent but its a shame  Star Link from Ubisoft tanked cause the game is genuinely super fun and really well designed. Especially the Switch version with all the Star Fox missions but as soon as Ubi said it was a Toys to Life game at E3 it was doomed to fail.

I remember watching E3 presentation for the game too. Everyone was so hype and excited. Everyone was cheering and applauding at all the features (especially the Nintendo stuff) but as soon as they said it was toys to life an awkward silence fell over the crowd and the rest of their press conference was a dumpster fire. The kicker of it is that Ubi even said RIGHT after the toys to life announcement is you could buy everything at a much lower price point through your preferred systems online store. But it didn’t matter cause everyone heard the dreaded words and immediately dismissed it. 

game had middling sells despite great reviews. 

Semi-related but Disney Infinity could have kept going fine been fine after Skylanders stopped simply cause Disney. The only adjustment they had to make was stop doing one of the things that killed Skylanders: Stop store exclusive variants.

They had Infinity 4.0 in the can and ready to go but  Disney was doing a lot of reshuffling and closing down internal studios they felt they didn’t need. 

Lego Dimensions was just too expensive for Warner brothers due to licensing and Legos just being expensive to make. 

Edited by iStu X