Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

7 hours ago, Lantis said:

I remember beating Hell House on Hard by not letting him spawn the Tonberries. If he did I knew it was game over

I realized if I was quick enough I could catch both of then with a Braver the second they got spat out and 1 shot them both. If I stayed on top of that then it wasn't half as bad, but of one of them wandered off then it suddenly got way way harder. 

Edited by RSG3

BlazBlue Entropy Effect---I finally started getting the resource that lets you unlock more characters, so now I have Hakumen and Hibiki....so far Hakumen has been fun, though a bit slow compared to Jin.  The further you get the more ability/stuff you can unlock as you go, so it gets more interesting than the limited set of moves you start with.  I'd like to see this same idea using other fighting game rosters; the fighting genre mixed into roguelike/side-scrolling action always seemed like an awesome idea to me.

BG3- ha, well that didn't take long... on my Steam-version Paladin character, the act of killing the 2 Tieflings that were holding Lae'zel (convinced them to let her out so we can killer...then killed them instead) made me an "oathbreaker" now.  https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Oathbreaker

So, I'm on a puzzle in BG3 now that is instantly the most hated piece of shit I've probably ever seen... the "Faith Jump" trial.

• The pathway is completely invisible....over a bottomless shadowy pit of course.  
  • SOMETIMES if you fail or fall off it just warps you back to the starting point (and consuming one of the light spheres around the statues)...but sometimes it instantly kills you; I am not sure why that's seemingly random. (I thought the rule here was that once all the light spheres are consumed, *then* the next failure results in instant death)
  • Trying to jump from one platform to the other---nope, the character for some asinine reason disregards what you told them to do...and climbs down the platform as if they're trying to go to the bottomless pit and jump from there instead(???)...meaning instant death.
  • The path is actually shown on the floor in the starting area, but that's quite difficult to follow from what I've seen... I guess the only way is to take a picture of that and have it up next to the screen as I go while trying to compensate for slight changes in the camera angle as I walk?

I gave up and tried "misty step" with warlock (was trying to have Shadowheart do this since this is an important thing for her character) but that doesn't work either...I'd have to know the exact spot of the extremely narrow pathways in the darkness over the pit....and so far it still seems to fail usually (just like the results of trying to jump)...resulting in instant death and reloading the save again.

*nope, I don't have any scroll of flying or a spell for that.

So far, I don't recall there ever being another puzzle part of a game that I've hated this much already.

It's looking like save-scum tactics is the only realistic way of making it thru....take 1 step; save...take another step, save, etc. etc.

Edited by MillionX

BG3 again of course----ha, so my character convinced yet another to kill himself.  That was a cool exchange there; and a life-saver... I doubt the crew would've survived a fight with that dude and the dozens of other beings he had in the area that were probably going to be summoned as help.  So now a certain task that the devil Raphael wanted us to do is completed....he wanted that one dead and it's done.  He showed up at camp when we did a Long Rest, and the resulting conversation was quite interesting.

Act 2 of this game man... things get SO good; there's so much going on in this section of the game.

*also I have quite a cool look going on... may post a pic later---this character has a robe and cloak/cape, then I found an amethyst dye and recolored both so now it's an all purple robe/cloak outfit.

Edited by MillionX

A photo mode would also be nice in BG3..... I'm wanting that more and more now that my character looks so damn cool in a proper villain outfit. (the dyed purple cloak and robe....full color customization would be preferable though, of course.... it's a shame they rarely give us that in games these days....in fact I can't remember the last game that allowed for full color customization of anything, aside from Modnation Racers on the PS3.....Modnation's customization options should've been a new standard for everything going forward....let the player change *everything* about appearance, even the textures on clothing, skin and various objects.

*anyway---finally leveled up; Alastor is Warlock level 7 now....got another eldritch invocation; I went with "Book of Ancient Secrets", which gives you: Ray of Sickness, Chromatic Orb and Silence as "ritual"-cast spells that do not require a spell slot (but can only be done once per long rest)

Cool new spell also---selected "Banishment"  --"temporarily banish your target to another plane of existence" ---this should be more OP than it is really... in this game it only lasts for 2 turns (haha that's nothing)... so as a thing that takes an enemy out of the fight for a while, other things like "Hold Person/Monster" are better since they last for 10(!!) turns.  

I also got Polymorph (just used it in a recent fight---turned an enemy into a sheep)... and Silence which seems amazing on paper--- it shuts down verbally-casted spells... and it lasts 100 turns.

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Camacho said:

First review of the new contra I've seen.  Short version is that they loved the game, but the switch version is total crap. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/contra-operation-galuga

I don't understand why the Switch is always such a bitch to port games to. I get that they aren't always going to run perfectly especially if they're multiplatform games that run on higher spec platforms, but it isn't like this is a new thing and it seems to happen constantly. Is there just no beta testing going on anymore? It's like the PS3 all over again.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't understand why the Switch is always such a bitch to port games to. I get that they aren't always going to run perfectly especially if they're multiplatform games that run on higher spec platforms, but it isn't like this is a new thing and it seems to happen constantly. Is there just no beta testing going on anymore? It's like the PS3 all over again.

Might be time to upgrade to a steam deck if you want a better handheld experience. 

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Honestly, for games like Contra, it's inexcusable. From a sales standpoint, these type of games do best on Switch. It's not a hardware intensive game, why the issues. I mean there are 140+ million Switches out there. This isn't a Wii U situation where there was little incentive, outside of just plain integrity, to optimize ports.

2 hours ago, Camacho said:

Might be time to upgrade to a steam deck if you want a better handheld experience. 

I wasn't planning on getting it. I played so much Contra as a kid I'm pretty much over the series at this point, but who knows. I don't really want to plunk money for a steamdeck either.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, for games like Contra, it's inexcusable. From a sales standpoint, these type of games do best on Switch. It's not a hardware intensive game, why the issues. I mean there are 140+ million Switches out there. This isn't a Wii U situation where there was little incentive, outside of just plain integrity, to optimize ports.

Yeah that's what I thought. And it isn't like there's anything weird about the Switch's guts (that I know of) that would make it really tricky. Seems like a constant problem though.

Cavern of Dreams takes me back to N64 platformers. Exploring areas and finding eggs is so much friggin' fun.

Dead End City and Xelan Force are my latest SHMIUP pick ups. Dead End City is currently on sale on the eShop. I also managed to cop Rolling Gunner: Collector's Edition physical for a nice price off Amazon. It includes Overpower. 

Here is an overview of the collection, via GungHo Online Entertainment:

About

The GRANDIA HD Collection features two genre-defining role-playing games: GRANDIA and GRANDIA II. These games send players on epic adventures with protagonists Justin and Ryudo, respectively, to explore the worlds of GRANDIA and protect them from the forces of evil.

Key Features

• Two Nostalgic Stories – Fans can follow both iconic journeys in the world of GRANDIA with various upgrades once more. Discover what lies beyond the End of the World with the young adventurer Justin in GRANDIA and, eons later, protect the world from eternal darkness with mercenary Ryudo in GRANDIA II.
  • Modernized Visuals – This version of GRANDIA and GRANDIA II includes enhanced user interface, sprites, and texture art that brings the iconic look of the retro classics to contemporary standards, including widescreen support and visually enhanced original cinematics.
  • Classic Old-School Combat – The GRANDIA series features classic RPG combat, with physical attacks and elemental spells in a battle system that combines real-time and turn-based mechanics. The addition of Hard Mode gives players a memorable challenge as they explore the world of GRANDIA II.
  • Language Support – The GRANDIA HD Collection includes Japanese and English audio options, as well as language support for English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese (simplified and traditional).

On 3/11/2024 at 11:31 AM, DoctaMario said:

I mean the guts of the Switch were old even before it was released, but it isn't that hard to get it to work decently. Could be the usual story where they just focused on the current gen platforms and left the Switch port as a project to a less experienced team to handle. A stupid decision give the Switch's market size plus it's retro home cred but sometimes that happens. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I  had little faith on the EAs Black Panther game, but seeing how unhinged its narrative designer is made it 0

Dunno how those people think that saying stupid shit on social media will entice costumersto buy their shit. 

Awww maaaan...not the "I can't be racist to white people" thought process.    I hard disagree with that stance and thinking that way only leads to more problems.   I may agree or disagree on some things involving SB but that mentality is not it.

@Sonichumanhave you fucked around with the Expendable Anti-Tank support weapon?  EAT is becoming my go-to for bugs.  One shot will take the armor off a charger leg,  leaving it exposed to easily finish off,  and two shots to the face will drop a bile titan  (only takes one if its already damaged from an air strike or orbital). The call in time is only 70 seconds,  and you get two of them per call in.  Been putting in  work with it 💪

7 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

@Sonichumanhave you fucked around with the Expendable Anti-Tank support weapon?  EAT is becoming my go-to for bugs.  One shot will take the armor off a charger leg,  leaving it exposed to easily finish off,  and two shots to the face will drop a bile titan  (only takes one if its already damaged from an air strike or orbital). The call in time is only 70 seconds,  and you get two of them per call in.  Been putting in  work with it 💪

No we haven't yet.  My group has been mostly using the orbital one shot delete laser for dealing with Chargers and Bile Titans.  The laser was faulty as hell last night though.  We called the laser in when we were having Charger trouble and I don't know who was at the helm of our ships last night but he deleted a hunter instead of the Charger RIGHT FUCKING THERE.  This happened twice last night.  The first time it happened I was literally running my ass off and screaming in fla bergastment while the Charger was chasing me "WHY THE FUCKING HUNTER!?"

Edit:  Last night was also pretty fucking rough with the last missions before I had to go to bed.  We dropped right on the outskirts of where we were going to start and unfortunately there were like 2 patrols in the exact spot where we landed.  We didn't even get a chance to call down out support weapons before we Zerg rushed.  Felt like we spent 10 whole minutes getting stomped by bugs and dying until we got shit under control.

Edited by Sonichuman

Latest controversy at the moment is Ludwig Goransson gave his speach for winning an Oscar and said something that is rubbing some people the wrong way

Like I'm not even really that mad cause I get what dude is saying but the issue is that no matter how I read this it feels like a slight.  He could have chosen anything else in this movie but he choose to say Video Games and its weird.