Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I'm a musician who loves to play video games. I admit I'd probably be a much better musician if I spent my video game time practicing,  but I love video games too much. I'm not really offended by what he said, though.  It makes sense to me. People just like to get mad at dumb shit. 

Edit: conversely,  I'd probably be much better at video games if I didn't spend so much time on the guitar or banjo 😂

Edited by Chadouken
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Like I'm not even really that mad cause I get what dude is saying but the issue is that no matter how I read this it feels like a slight.  He could have chosen anything else in this movie but he choose to say Video Games and its weird.

I'm not mad I'm just tired of the snobbery. Imagine making music for a visual medium, winning an award, and taking the time to shit on another visual medium because you think it's below you. Why? What's the point. Why are you punching down at all? What does it accomplish? He shit on a burgeoning artistic industry just like the snobby elites did when movies where new. Good job lol. 

Smacks of the same goofiness as when someone like Scorsese says other films aren't cinema as if they aren't made the same way, shown the same way, delivered to pretty much the exact same audience. Just pure snobbery and probably why it bothers you, snobbery is rather repulsive behavior lol 

BG3 -  that fall damage can be huge... I got to the Underdark area today with a character and fought those 2 minotaurs that show up right away... they made the mistake of being in just the right position next to a cliff, and as a warlock I was quick to take advantage of that... *Eldritch Blast* and BOOM they get knocked right off the side... it was a long way down for both of them.  The "repelling" effect for E. Blast is so damn good, I can't see anyone ever not taking it when playing warlock.  That effect doesn't need anything else; it's extremely useful from day 1 of your character. (The other warlock option people go for involves taking "Devil's Sight" but that's with the plan to combo it with the "Darkness" spell.)

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous was on sale recently for 11.99 on Steam so I got that now....I look forward to digging into that soon.  "Dhampir" is a character option so that was one of the things that caught my interest.  Tiefling race is in the mix as well; there's some interesting choices to work with there for sure.

Edited by MillionX

Fast-paced stealth platformer Ereban: Shadow Legacy will launch for PC via Steam and Epic Games Store on April 10, developer Baby Robot Games announced.

Raw Fury will no longer publish the title as initially announced, and it is currently unclear whether the game is still planned to release for Xbox Series and Xbox One at any point.

Here is an overview of the game, via Baby Robot Games:

About

Ereban: Shadow Legacy is a fast-paced stealth platformer game where you become Ayana, the last descendant of a forgotten race. Harness mystical shadow powers, high-tech gadgets and avoid or kill to uncover the truth about your past and the key to saving a dying, morally grey universe. What will your legacy be?

Become One with the Shadows

Experience an unprecedented combination of stealth and shadows with the Shadow Merge ability. Dive into shadows and move freely through them to climb walls, reach inaccessible places, attack from cover or advance unseen.

Absorb echoes to learn more lethal and non-lethal shadow powers, craft high-tech gadgets, and combine all this with your agility to infiltrate Helios lines and investigate what they are hiding.

Define Your Shadow Legacy… And Live with the Consequences

Avoid or kill. Spare or consume. The decision is yours: how far are you willing to go to uncover the truth?

Approach each level with your own style of play. Use your powers to move like a ghost or strike as a deadly shadow in this sci-fi universe where actions go beyond good and evil.

Explore a Dying, Beautiful World in Your Search of the Truth

As the last descendant of the Ereban, unravel the mystery of who you are and what happened to your people. Traverse the ruins of lifeless cities, infiltrate sci-fi facilities carved into ancient temples and discover the remnants of your forgotten race.

Uncover the truth about Helios, the cryptic energy megacorporation that claims to have solved the energy crisis.

53505363795_df791dc348_h.jpg

53504940481_9834c571b9_h.jpg

13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Latest controversy at the moment is Ludwig Goransson gave his speach for winning an Oscar and said something that is rubbing some people the wrong way

Like I'm not even really that mad cause I get what dude is saying but the issue is that no matter how I read this it feels like a slight.  He could have chosen anything else in this movie but he choose to say Video Games and its weird.

Honestly, I don't care that dude said this. The concerning thing to me is how thin skinned people are. People are getting salty about this. This is "1st world problems" personified.  So what. Gaming is bigger than Hollywood. It's not some niche industry that's being "punched down" on. 

Did a quick run through story mode on Operation Galuga last night, normal difficulty with the lifebar. Here are my first thoughts, I'll follow up as I sink my teeth into it.

-The story, as expected, was stupid in a 1989 children's cartoon kind of way. Don't know who they're trying to appeal to with it. Fortunately, I don't think there will be a reason to play that mode again, barring maybe the stage select function (don't know if arcade mode has stage select- I hope it does)

-The orchestral music is boring. As posted earlier, there are a bunch of other OST options that you can unlock for arcade and challenge modes. Several unlocked based on other games I have in my steam library- classic contra, CV, and Konami arcade classics. C4's sountrack also unlocked, and there's more to unlock with points. Needless to say, I'll be using those and ignoring the new OST moving forward.

-The game was way too easy with the conditions I used. Completing it that way was like "beating" the original with the 30 lives code- more practice and seeing the game than really beating it. The challenge of having to memorize and execute is a big part of what makes a good Contra game, and I suspect casual plays on normal/lifebar are driving a lot of the mid reviews. Doing a single playthrough like that is like credit feeding through a shmup then bitching about it being too short or too simple- that's not how to enjoy this genre. I see the need to have way more accessibility options, but I do think it would have been better to have the default mode tuned more tough, then let people turn it down as needed. All that said, I can tell that doing more legit Contra runs with 1 hit kills is going to be massively challenging, and the perk options will be anice way to take the edge off without totally neutering the challenge. There's a hell of a lot going on in most of the game, even on normal.

-It looks like there's a metric ton of unlockables, which is cool. I am looking forward to arcade mode runs with tougher settings and the challenge mode, which I really loved in C4.

-The game's art style is pretty generic. Inoffensive, but generic, nonetheless. Nothing looked as cool as C4.

-The stages are pretty long by Contra standards.

-I like the new movement options and 360° aiming.  Feels odd to say I prefer playing a Contra game with an analog stick, but there it is. There's also and 8 way aim mode you can toggle if you want to keep it more old school. 

Overall, I think there's going to be a lot to enjoy for players who enjoy a challenge and are willing to dig in.

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, I don't care that dude said this. The concerning thing to me is how thin skinned people are. People are getting salty about this. This is "1st world problems" personified.  So what. Gaming is bigger than Hollywood. It's not some niche industry that's being "punched down" on. 

His comments are ridiculously out of touch. This is something I would expect a literal boomer to say

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Interesting, it was one of my favorites. I could see why it would be annoying tho. 

Aesthetically it’s my favorite region so far. However  It’s really narrow/dense while also being very layered. so a lot of the times it’s  hard for me to find my bearings

Edited by iStu X
11 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Indeed. Imo anyone down in their feelings about this is worried deep down that they've wasted a lot of time playing games.

That said, I don't think the two things need to be mutually exclusive. I got an NES at however old you are in 5th grade and spent a ton of time on it, as well as the SNES before selling the Snes to buy my first guitar at 16. My musical skills have only continued to get better despite that I play probably 2 hours of games a day on average. Anyone who really and genuinely cares about something like music will prioritize it, and if it isn't that big of a thing to them, they won't.

I think video games do tend to have a drug like effect for some people, but just like drugs and alcohol, not everyone who uses them is going to get addicted.

Edit: And this is even before we talk about how game music even back in the 8 bit days has always been really inventive. Listening to the SMB3 soundtrack, it's honest to God amazing what they were able to do with a measley 3 audio channels. Whoever did those arrangements is fucking brilliant because there is A LOT going on there.

Edited by DoctaMario
13 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah but sadly thinned skin reactions are the norm, shit it is fueling multiple political and social organizations in this world usually for the worst. 

And just for future prosperity and I am mostly referring to conservative snowflakes who like to use their comfort or children's feelings as weapons against progress and equality.

Edit:...I'm hearing "Jungle Jam" in this and it sounds a lot like BG Ollie doing this track...Did they pull him to do music on this game too?

Edit 2:  Tried to find a list of who the musicians were and he was in fact name dropped!  Good for him!!!

https://www.konami.com/games/us/en/topics/2361/

The timeless gameplay is reinvigorated for the modern era through detailed, effects-laden graphics, a spectacular voice cast (including Steve Blum as Bill Rizer, Alejandro Saab as Lance Bean, Angelita Esperanza as Ariana, and Kira Buckland as Lucia), and an explosive musical score. Beyond the main soundtrack by Yuko Komiyama and Norihiko Hibino, players can unlock several alternative soundtracks, including a “Retro Remix” of classic Contra tunes featuring RichaadEB, Alex Moukala, Jemy Hiiragi, Banjo Guy Ollie, Eirik Suhrke, and BraveWave Productions artists including Evanescence’s Tim McCord. Both the original soundtrack and the Retro Remix are available for download and streaming on digital music services.

Edited by Sonichuman
13 hours ago, Wellman said:

Yeah but sadly thinned skin reactions are the norm, shit it is fueling multiple political and social organizations in this world usually for the worst. 

And just for future prosperity and I am mostly referring to conservative snowflakes who like to use their comfort or children's feelings as weapons against progress and equality.

It's not just "conservative snowflakes". For example, they weren't the ones that conducted an industry wide effort to boycott Hogwart's Legacy. They got people fired for just saying they were looking forward to playing the game. They got one of the developers fired. The created a website for tracking people streaming the game so they could go after them. When we* were growing up, it was just the conservatives running around doing this nonsense. Burning books, running over CD's with steamrollers, trying to get games banned etc. It's just not the case in anymore. I watch so called liberals** do the same thing. In fact, when it comes to gaming. Conservatives are the least of our problems. At least back in the day, the gaming press called out those conservative loons on their nonsense. If a conservative company had  an employee involved in targeted harassment, and another employee that dropped the N word with the hard R, the gaming press wouldn't be running interference for their employer. They'd be demanding that the employees be fired and raking the company over the coals for their work culture. What's happening now is the same cult like, cliquesh behavior, that's utterly devoid of any principals that was endemic of high school life. Aren't we supposed to be adults. :tldr:

*Most of us here are in the same age group.

**They say they are liberals but their actions say other wise. They are just as closed minded and censor happy has right wing loons from our youth.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Read the article...I was hoping they were just talking about gameplay and what not and they actually were...for a moment.  Pretty much went "Ok...yeah...agree...mmmhmm...you're actually cooking......wait...auuuugh God dammit"  I'm not going to say that a game that game shooting up a bunch of black people shouldn't give someone pause but its always about context.  If an RE took place in the poorer or rural areas of China or Japan are we going to say that shooting a bunch of infected asians that are coming to infect you is racist?  Why is Leon shooting a poor rural Spanish area ok but a game taking place in an African town where the obvious majority or going to be black an issue?  I'm not even going to say that this game isn't going to attract some sicko MFers who fantasize about doing something like this but if we are going to be concerned about that then we can't have any game where a majority of an african community gets shot because of circumstance and not maliciousness period...and honestly that kinda sucks.

Just now, Chadouken said:

But are you really shooting black people,  or are you shooting zombies that happen to be black?

Also this 😂

They're zombies/infected period which should be the end of the discussion that's why I said context matters.  It shouldn't matter the race of infected, if they're coming to kill/infect you then they catch a bullet. Baby, child, adult, man, woman, gay, bi, lesbian, trans, white, black, indian, indonesian, somalian, russian, native american, etc, doesn't matter.  It's infected, it's coming at me to infect/kill me, I'm killing it before it kills me.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

They're zombies/infected period which should be the end of the discussion that's why I said context matters.  It shouldn't matter the race of infected, if they're coming to kill/infect you then they catch a bullet. Baby, child, adult, man, woman, gay, bi, lesbian, trans, white, black, indian, indonesian, somalian, russian, native american, etc, doesn't matter.  It's infected, it's coming at me to infect/kill me, I'm killing it before it kills me.

Seems like some folks think that some races are inferior and subhuman. Which begs the question: what does that make white zombies?  More human than human? 

"This skin suit activates HARD mode"

200w.webp?cid=6c09b952lm4m9h8yi8rx6mzh44

Joking aside...hoping this game has some gameplay substance cause anytime this game shows up in my feed its 95% about the TNA and other 5% is maybe something about gameplay.  Hoping people don't drop $70 that they're having a difficult time getting into cause 1 they're playing the game 1 handed and 2 cause the game is actually "Meh..."

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Joking aside...hoping this game has some gameplay substance cause anytime this game shows up in my feed its 95% about the TNA and other 5% is maybe something about gameplay.  Hoping people don't drop $70 that they're having a difficult time getting into cause 1 they're playing the game 1 handed and 2 cause the game is actually "Meh..."

Well when the demo was up, before Sony showed us why an all digital future is terrible, the impressions of the game play were positive. That was my biggest concern. I mean the game is inspired by two Platinum games with tight gameplay, it's got a lot to live up to in that regard.

As for the armor, I guess I'm wasn't the only one one that read that it puts you at a disadvantage. *Shrugs* I'm sure people will be one handed speed running Stellar Blade with this suit on Eve for...science 😉

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Yea I honestly can't say I give 1 single fuck about this game, it looks like shit made for horny losers at this point. I'm not saying it is, I'm saying that's what it looks like, its being talked about like, and basically advertised like. 

I've seen 0 actual substance so far. 

Edited by RSG3