Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

39 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I remember playing FF7 in high school and loving it.  Then I recently played the remake and thought it was decent,  but I never finished it.  Clown kinda annoyed me.

Clown? Either your phone autocorrected Cloud to Clown, which given my opinion of him in the OG game is hilarious or you're referencing FF6 and Kefka.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Damn, you sound like my friend from back in the day that always named his protagonist "Lord Bone" or "Deez Nuts". Not going to lie, sometimes it was funny. "The world is saved thanks to Deez Nuts"

Oh I've named Link Piss, and Sharted, and shit like that 😂

I remember in Monster Hunter on PS4 I made a slutty chick and named her Heather.  She died a lot because I refused to put any armor on her 🤣

I am truly baffled by Warner Bros decision.  You made the highest selling game for the year of 2023 and that was with people trying to get it boycotted and canceled.  You fucking combo broke a sales normal and you looked at this and go "....We need to make more live service games"

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Who is the fucking shareholder over there telling you guys this bullshit?

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman

BG3---and so another new character was made.... an orc paladin (Vengeance Oath) ....

On this one, I went for the kill on Commander Zhalk and actually managed to help that Mindflayer kill him... had Laezel pick up the awesome fire sword and got out of there... surprisingly we managed to kill the Mindflayer too.  This flaming sword is the God-level shit in the early game so far... you're hitting hard and with extra fire damage on top.  You get 75 xp for Zhalk and 75 xp for the mindflayer...so right after the ship crash you're starting off at level 2 already on the beach.  I'm already level 3 now. 

...I helped those 2 Tieflings kill Laezel again, then turned right around and killed them too.  Yeah, the adventures of Turdax the Foul paladin have begun.

6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

When did "Deez Nuts" originate?

I first heard it in Chappelle Show circa 2003/2004 in the Trading Spouses sketch.

if i remember right its from 90s.

"you got something on yo chin?"

"what?"

"these nuts"

i think its a sound bite from a either nwa, dr dre, or too short album.

9 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

When did "Deez Nuts" originate?

I first heard it in Chappelle Show circa 2003/2004 in the Trading Spouses sketch.

It was before that. The friend I mentioned did that in Final Fantasy 6 (3 US), Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy Tactics to my knowledge. I saw him doing this 1997 but he told me he'd been naming his characters for a while. I'm guessing early 90s. I'm pretty sure I saw "Deez Nuts" on SNES and Genesis RPGs I rented.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

if i remember right its from 90s.

"you got something on yo chin?"

"what?"

"these nuts"

i think its a sound bite from a either nwa, dr dre, or too short album.

"What do you call nuts on the wall?"

"Walnuts"

"What do you call nuts on your chest?"

"Chestnuts"

"What do you call nuts on your chin?"

"DICK IN YO MOUTH!"

The first time I remember "deez nuts" was back when around CDs came out or were newer.

"What do you like better - tapes or CDs?"

Then no matter what the person says you just responded...

"SEE DEEZ NUTS!"

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I am truly baffled by Warner Bros decision.  You made the highest selling game for the year of 2023 and that was with people trying to get it boycotted and canceled.  You fucking combo broke a sales normal and you looked at this and go "....We need to make more live service games"

I THINK their logic is this: those games take time and money and care, and even then, aren't guaranteed major sales. Why do that when you can roll these live service dice until you get one that hits? Because one hitting may make up for many that don't. Just like the egregious microtransactions in these games nowadays. The few "whales" more than make up for the majority that are pissed at them.

But this gamble is dangerous in a way microtransactions aren't. I think the whole idea of live services is getting a stink on it now, outside of a couple properties that excel at it. If they throw all their eggs in that basket, it'll be a disaster.

@Faltimar the DarkGhost of Tsushima is an excellent game. I'm surprised that it wasn't ported already. 

@axeman61Everyday I wonder how these mega companies ever made any money. I always think of Major League 1, where the owner tries to run the team into the ground on purpose. In spite of her efforts, the team is a success. That's what these companies like WB, Disney, and Square Enix bring to mind. They just do obviously dumb things. Not hindsight is 20/20 armchair analysis. What they do is clearly a recipe for disaster going in and they do it anyway. 

19 hours ago, Lantis said:

LOL did WB learn nothing from Suicide Squad?

TBF.

They are seeing that their lsg  failed while Helldivers is popping.

So in that regard it is true what they day that the market is volatile.

Imma be real - the more I see news like Dragon's Dogma 2 being framerate capped on consoles the more I'm happy I didn't dip into getting a PS5 at the start of this generation because good god would I have been disappointed with the investment. This entire cycle is a non stop fucking disappointment. AND THEY'RE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT THE FUTURE TOO, supposedly coming in like 2027. 

Never would I have guessed a Nintendo system would look more attractive to me because while Switch is objectively an underpowered system, it's at least getting a consistent stream of great games, from brand new releases to remasters and remakes of old classics 

Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft are doing fuck all for 3 years

15 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Edit:

They're not actually stepping away from AAA games, the tweet is misleading.  They just said they were going to put more time into gaas

3 hours ago, axeman61 said:

I THINK their logic is this: those games take time and money and care, and even then, aren't guaranteed major sales. Why do that when you can roll these live service dice until you get one that hits? Because one hitting may make up for many that don't. Just like the egregious microtransactions in these games nowadays. The few "whales" more than make up for the majority that are pissed at them.

But this gamble is dangerous in a way microtransactions aren't. I think the whole idea of live services is getting a stink on it now, outside of a couple properties that excel at it. If they throw all their eggs in that basket, it'll be a disaster.

Matt Piscatella made a point about trying to break into the live service games that I think echoes something that I think Darc said earlier.  People only have but so much time in the day and and as vast and every growing the game industry is, it can only sustain but so many live service games.  Yeah the rewards for trying to jump on that wagon are great but the risks that come with failure can often times be worse which I believe is the point you were saying in your second paragraph.

Speaking of WB and live service by the way...

24 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

They're not actually stepping away from AAA games, the tweet is misleading.  They just said they were going to put more time into gaas

You are semi right but reading the full context of what this CEO is saying does not paint a good picture...Yes they didn't say they were completely moving away from main games but then you see him saying they are in a unique position to do more in the space with the IP's they have and he throws MK's name out there...Then you suddenly realize why MK1's grind is the way it is in comparison to previous titles.

Full quote in context from the Gamespot article

Perrette said WBD's recent gaming output has focused on AAA games for console, and that's great when a game like Hogwarts Legacy sells 22 million copies and becomes the best-selling game of the year, but this kind of success is never guaranteed in what Perrette said was a "volatile" market. He pointed out that one of WBD's latest big games, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, was a disappointment for the company.

So the plan going forward, he said, is to help reduce volatility by focusing on core franchises and bringing at least some of them to the mobile and free-to-play space, as well as continuing to invest in live-service games that people play--and spend money on--over a long period of time. This will help WBD generate more consistent revenue, he said, going on to tease that WBD had some new mobile free-to-play games coming this year. Also worth noting is that just because WBD may push into new places, that doesn't necessarily mean it will stop making big single-player AAA games.

"Rather than just launching a one-and-done console game, how do we develop a game around, for example, a Hogwarts Legacy or Harry Potter, that is a live-service where people can live and work and build and play in that world in an ongoing basis?" he said.

Perrette went on to say that WBD is uniquely positioned because it has popular brands--he singled out Mortal Kombat, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, and DC as its biggest--as well as 11 different internal game development studios. He also teased that WBD has a "strategic investment plan" to help make future games more successful, adding that the company just recently brought someone on to help with brand management and sustainability.

23 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Unpopular opinion, but I am all for massive layoffs.

Those companies are extremely bloated.

Of course, the only bad thing is that we don't see layoffs on the executive branch as well.

My thing is this. By in large, massive layoffs are pointless if the leadership of the company remains in place. They are the one's the screwed up. They lay people off, keep their jobs, and often get bonuses. Sure there are exceptions but it's almost always on leadership. They steer the ship into an iceberg and fire the design engineers.

15 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Are people even still interested in MultiVersus after that whole "Oh sorry this game that some players just poured a lot of money in was just a beta! Deuces!" fiasco?

On my timeline it was half and half. Some people were really psyched to see some news for the game while others called out that the game just disappeared for half a year. Reportedly, all the progress and things you brought is set to return since the game is tied to your WB Games Account. We’ll see.

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

You are semi right but reading the full context of what this CEO is saying does not paint a good picture...Yes they didn't say they were completely moving away from main games but then you see him saying they are in a unique position to do more in the space with the IP's they have and he throws MK's name out there...Then you suddenly realize why MK1's grind is the way it is in comparison to previous titles.

Full quote in context from the Gamespot article

I understand where you're coming from but the grindyness of MK11 & MK1 has not as fair as I'm aware, affected the competitive integrity of the game's multiplayer combat. There are people who buy MK and never play against another player and so a gaas type single player experience for them would be on brand.

Tbh I have a hard time caring about this in a time when more games than ever are being produced. They want to go full on gaas, fine, I have a million other games I can play like everyone else does. And in a time when game budgets are astronomical and yet most new games cost the same as they did in the 90s, something had to come to a head at some point. If rolling out gaas titles I'll never play allows them to stockpile cash and make a great single player aaa game that I might, I don't see that as a bad thing.

I know that as a game it's not that good outside of the core gameplay, which is admittedly simple. I say that as someone who likes the gameplay and plays MK1 a lot. Story mode is OK at best (hate that they went the MCU route iykyk), and Invasions is straight trash.

But I haven't seen any tournaments or been up on any drama to judge from that perspective.

Get the latest details below, via Xbox Wire.

A New Tale of the Kami Awaits

The story begins when the legendary Mt. Kafuku is covered by an evil defilement and the 12 masks, including their special powers, are stolen. Our protagonist, Soh, must work together with Yoshiro, the Maiden with divine powers, to purge and cleanse the villages of the defilement.

The masks worn by Soh and the villagers each feature a different divine power, and these powers are the key to protecting Yoshiro. As you cleanse additional villages from their evil defilement, you’ll recover more masks and work together with the various villagers that each mask unlocks to bring Mt. Kafuku back to its original beauty.

Strategic Actions with Dancing Swords and Commands

The game combines the exhilarating action of “dancing swords” with the strategic element of deciding which villagers will join you on your journey to cleanse each village. The cycle of preparing for battle during the day and protecting the Maiden and the village from evil spirits of the mountains (“The Seethe”) at night is critical to Soh’s success. Let’s look at the gameplay during both day and night.

During the day, explore the village, purge defilements, and rescue villagers so they can join you in battle. Repair contraptions to give you an advantage against The Seethe’s attacks at night.

The rescued villagers will fight alongside Soh – but the decision on which power to grant to each villager is up to you. Different masks will grant different powers that help some villagers excel at close-range attacks, while others can heal your crew. Think strategically about which villagers you enlist and where to station them ahead of battle. For example, those with superior melee attacks on the front lines, with long-range attackers in the rear. Use the terrain to your advantage, prepare your positions, and get ready for epic battle once the moon begins to rise.

Each village features the recognizable Torii gates, and ultimate success is decided upon whether Yoshiro, the divine Maiden, can successfully pass through those gates before she faces defeat at the hands of The Seethe. But watch out! Each Torii gate is connected to an evil universe, providing an entrance for The Seethe. Guide Yoshiro to the Torii gates to purge the defilement and save the village.

How to use time wisely before sunset is crucial. In addition to time management, players must strategize for their battle at night. The players’ strategies alongside resource and time management skills are put to the test.

Nightfall brings a distinct blend of intense action and real-time strategy. Protect the Maiden from the oncoming threat of The Seethe by commanding your enlisted villagers while simultaneously doing battle, facing off against The Seethe with Soh’s unique dance-like sword attacks.

In the trailer, you also got your first look at “Kagura” – traditional “dances” derived from the Shinto religion in Japan that has been passed down from generation to generation to purify the defiled. Both Yoshiro and Soh perform Kagura in their own notable ways.

We have named this unique action, in which the player purges the defilement by “dancing,” the “Dancing Sword Action.”

Need to change strategies on the fly? Each villager can be reassigned new roles and repositioned throughout the village any time at night. Protect Yoshiro by making critical calls and decisions in this ever-changing environment.

The Seethe: Evil Spirits Called Upon by the Defilement

The Seethe take many different demonic shapes and forms, with various attacks and abilities. Each enemy is inspired by various Japanese yokai – a catchall word for all manner of ghosts, shapeshifters, demons, monsters, and more – and historic folklore. The Seethe, designed carefully by the director, offers an inside look at the dark aesthetic that immerses Soh and the villagers throughout each night’s battle.

And if The Seethe aren’t enough, the latest gameplay trailer revealed the even more powerful “Festering Seethe.” Catch this intense battle against the Festering Seethe!

Hear From Director Shuichi Kawata

“I hope you enjoyed the new trailer for Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess! It’s been a while since the title was announced last year, but I hope the new gameplay you just watched was worth the wait. After releasing Shinsekai: Into the Depths four years ago, we’re ready to open a new chapter for players around the world to enjoy.

“This game features a very distinct blend of action and strategy genres and takes strong inspiration from various elements of Japanese culture. With all of that, we’re excited (and maybe a little nervous…in a good way!) to have everyone experience this game.

“We are currently in the final stages of development, and the team is working hard to be able to deliver the best experience this game can offer, so we hope you look forward to it.”

Reminds me of Brütal Legend.

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

From what I understand MK1 is a competitive disaster..........

I wouldn't go that far to say that it is but there seems to be something about this game makes it feel like its not resonating as hard as MKX or even MK11 surprsingly.  One of the complaints I heard the most regarding MK11 is that some didn't like the more slower footsie based gameplay in comparison to the rush down from MKX.  So MK1 kind of meets in the middle with this and with wacky assists but it just doesn't seem to be hitting.  And this is on top of the really rough microtransaction grind in place with that money sacrifice alter in lieu of the Krypt...which invasions is supposed to also help replace but not quite.

I da know...its weird.  Its pretty telling when even Sonicfox who is like the go to premiere NRS guy was saying that SF6 was clearly the FGotY no contest.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

From what I understand MK1 is a competitive disaster..........

Going by their track record, NRS has not made a game that manages to stay truly competitive relevant after more than 3 months from release since MKX.

Is true that they sell more than all other fgs, but hell, all of them die rather quickly.

Both offline and online.

35 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

The worst is when you get like 4 chargers at once lol. Orbital Rail Cannon is your friend. 

We just started dabbling in Level 6 at the behest of someone who was pushy about going up a level in our group despite Level 5 still like handing us bullshit situations that were hard to deal with at our current level.  We have yet to have one Helldiver make it back yet lol.

Stalkers are my worst fucking enemy right now cause you'll be minding your own business trying to handle the stuff in front of you and then these guys pop up behind you and start slashing at you like they're Dark Reavers from Starcraft.  And then to make them extra annoying, when they feel they've taken enough damage they try to camouflage and run away to try again when you're not paying attention to them to sneak up  on you again.  There's been countless times of my group laying down fire on a group of enemies in an area and then this MF comes behind one of us and ends up ruining shit.

I almost would rather deal with the Titans than these guys cause at least I can SEE them coming a mile away...despite the fact that Joel decided he was going to drop 6 of them on us on one of our prior missions.

23 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Stalkers are my worst fucking enemy right now cause you'll be minding your own business trying to handle the stuff in front of you and then these guys pop up behind you and start slashing at you like they're Dark Reavers from Starcraft.  And then to make them extra annoying, when they feel they've taken enough damage they try to camouflage and run away to try again when you're not paying attention to them to sneak up  on you again.  There's been countless times of my group laying down fire on a group of enemies in an area and then this MF comes behind one of us and ends up ruining shit.

Bro I absolutely know what you're talking about lol. Stalkers immediately become the priority when we see them, and we drop everything to go find the nest. They can quickly turn a great run into a complete shitshow 😂

Honestly this translation seems great. Reminds me heavily of War of the Lions. Almost all of these mean the same thing and are way better and more enjoyable to read/hear then the translations the guy complaining is giving which are very dry and lifeless. 

I don't see anything on the level of like Muramasa The Demon Blade on Wii. I'll still be picking this up for sure, absolutly. All the flowery poetic diologue is way better. 

There's a few examples but I'm sure I could find a few examples in every translated game ever so I'm not gonna get my underwear in too big a knot over it. Game looks amazing 👌 

Edited by RSG3

BG3 - So... a new level of depravity... I realized you can pick up the dead bodies and throw them like "improvised" weapons, so that's another little detail for adding insult to injury....also, my Tiefling warlock Julian finished off helping with the massacre of the Grove.... I actually found the body of a dead Tiefling kid and had Shadowheart throw him around a bit (this requires someone with a certain level in Strength, of course and even with that---she's only strong enough to pick up small bodies---gnomes, halflings, kids, etc.)... I threw up at a vase one time to break it.  I didn't get a chance to use the corpse as a weapon though since there's never any survivors of the Grove.  

It was extra nice to kill Kagha, Arron and those other druids...it always is.  This time I made sure to kill Arron asap since he has that "Darkness" spell which is quite a dangerous problem to deal with.....always nice to look over the results of this battle; the bodies everywhere... a whole village slaughtered and gone.  Such a beautifully played betrayal.  They never really had a chance once everything was set into motion.  Exquisite carnage indeed, Minthara.

sith GIF