Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

13 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Right?  Suicide is fucking nuts, and there are two levels beyond that lol. How you dealing with the Bile Titans?

Bile Titans are rough to deal with if you don't have anything specific take them out.  That said still have more issues with Stalkers and now the overwhelming numbers of hunters.  I can run from Bile Titans....combinations of Hunters, Stalkers and a smattering of Chargers are THE WORST.  I was using the incindiery shotgun for crowd control and to also deal damage to Chargers without being behind them but Stalkers don't give AF about that gun.  I had to switch back to the other shotgun I was using before cause it at least gets them to back off.

Edit:  It's interesting how Arrowhead patched the game because people were complaining about the overabundance of chargers popping up so now we're getting zerg rushed.  Fucking Hunters coming at me from all side and from the top rope.  I'm thinking I'm at a good enough distance and 5 of them and jumping the Grand Canyon to get to us.

Edited by Sonichuman
On 3/17/2024 at 8:29 AM, MillionX said:

Well, due to the shit-show concerning the woman from that studio that's working on the Black Panther game... now I'm actually more curious about what that game will end up being like.  It should be interesting to see how that all turns out.

To the surprise of no one here. I'm not amused by this situation in the slightest.

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Bile Titans are rough to deal with if you don't have anything specific take them out.  That said still have more issues with Stalkers and now the overwhelming numbers of hunters.  I can run from Bile Titans....combinations of Hunters, Stalkers and a smattering of Chargers are THE WORST.  I was using the incindiery shotgun for crowd control and to also deal damage to Chargers without being behind them but Stalkers don't give AF about that gun.  I had to switch back to the other shotgun I was using before cause it at least gets them to back off.

Edit:  It's interesting how Arrowhead patched the game because people were complaining about the overabundance of chargers popping up so now we're getting zerg rushed.  Fucking Hunters coming at me from all side and from the top rope.  I'm thinking I'm at a good enough distance and 5 of them and jumping the Grand Canyon to get to us.

This is exactly my experience. Hunters are the worst enemies,  followed by Stalkers. Last night,  we ran into three stalker lairs on a single mission,  and they completely decimated our reinforcements. I had four of them on me at once and couldn't do a damn thing. The stalwart really helps with the hunters,  but it sucks using a stratagem slot for what is essentially a primary for add clear. 

19 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Sounds like the Fallout show will probably end up like Halo and The Witcher instead of Edgerunners, The Last of Us, or even Twisted Metal.

It drives me nuts because you ask yourself if not for fans then who is this even for? All I see is another production by people who took a popular IP and the established fans to prop up their poorly made story. If they had skill, they could make their own original trash instead of tarnishing an established one and insulting fans. 

I would have to ask what he means by pleasing fans because there's a line between ignoring them (Halo) and pandering to them and neither one is good an a lot of fans can't tell the difference between good writing and being pandered to. The Star Wars fanbase as a general statement wants to be pandered to. It's why Luke at the end of Mando is so praised and why the Vader Scene in Rogue One is liked so much by fans. It's huge amounts of pandering. 

So personally I would want to see more of the statement or ask him to explain what he means if he didn't.

I dunno if he did or not because I'm not going to give Kotaku clicks for anything. Literally the Fox News Culture Vultures of the videogame reporting industry, yuck no thanks.

Edit: Hell now thay I think about it fans cam barely agree on what they want over half the time lol. With all that said I can't imagine Bethesda fans are all that hard to please, they praise mediocrity regularly. 

Edited by RSG3

@RSG3Ignoring fans is the only bad thing today. Pandering isn't preferable but it will maintain your fan base and not erode it. The sweet spot is crafting something that appeases fans and brings in a potential new audience. The Hollywood modus operandi is to hire some hack. completely ignore the subject matter, call complaining fans (insert derogatory term here), and lastly wonder why their product fails miserable. Hollywood has compounded their utterly lack of creativity by licensing good IP and handing off to a bunch of talentless "writers" that can barely compose a tweet let alone a well constructed story. Their utterly lack of imagination is well conveyed in their boilerplate responses to criticism. Say what you will about JK Rowling, she cooks people that go after her on social media. Then again, going after a talented writer in a war of words is unwise. :tldr:

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Like Darc said, I agree the best adaptations are somewhere in the middle.  If your adaptation actually does a good job of presenting the IP and showing what makes the IP cool then I think thats the bare minimum for what should be considered good.  It goes into great status if manages to achieve that while being able to please fans and bring in new fans while bolstering or increasing visibility of the IP.

For what I have seen, his quote is taken out of context, and it is less inflamatory when reading what he said. 

It was more in line to just pander without passion on what you are making is a fool's errand. 

Still no in the clear, since they say some things that can be seen ss red flags due past experiences 

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

For what I have seen, his quote is taken out of context, and it is less inflamatory when reading what he said. 

It was more in line to just pander without passion on what you are making is a fool's errand. 

Still no in the clear, since they say some things that can be seen ss red flags due past experiences 

At this point, I assume it's all BS until the product releases. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ignoring fans is the only bad thing today. Pandering isn't preferable but it will maintain your fan base and not erode it.

I actually think pandering ruins your product more because pandering is spineless. It's about the most cowardly thing you can do in art and why Rise of Skywalker is easily the worst Star Wars movie because it's completely and utterlally balless, pandering to a rabid group of assholes. There is 0 risk to pandering, its the safest, easiest milk toast way of servicing you fans and thats what yoy are doing when you pander as hard as lot of fan pleasing writers do. Youre just servicing. Thats it. Antagonizing your fans isn't smart but a lot of fans see actual real narratives moves as betraying them and the product. They don't want good stories they want to be serviced and it it's the saddest death an IP can have imo. 

Yea finding a balance in the middle is generally what you should aim for but a lot of fans aren't arguing a middle ground they are demanding to be serviced. 

So yea a middle grounds clearly best but just because yoy and the characters you love are being challenged doesn't mean youre being antagonized either and many fans can't tell the difference between the two. 

Thats why I would be interested in what the director fully said (if he said more then that) instead of an extremely click baity one scentence quote grab from a dog shit culture war rag like Kotaku 👍 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

I'd rather given the choice to be pandered to and fed "memberberries" rather than lied about what I was expecting to watch. 

I'd rather take a nap then have my mental dick sucked by the equivalent of a McDonalds Cheese Burger these days. I'm so fucking bored of being pandered to, it's so fucking boring. 

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I actually think pandering ruins your product more because pandering is spineless. It's about the most cowardly thing you can do in art and why Rise of Skywalker is easily the worst Star Wars movie because it's completely and utterlally balless, pandering to a rabid group of assholes.

Rise of Skywalker was terrible. It's not what fans wanted in the slightest. It the result of incompetent studio deciding to do a trilogy with no plan. With directors crafting stories without considering what the other is doing. The Sequel Trilogy is literally the next movie tossing out what the previous one did with no consideration of the repercussions. Disney's been falling on their face because they pander to people that don't consume their product. Of course they aren't the only ones, it's entertainment in general. Pandering to people that aren't your fans is how you end up with shit like The Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker. It's how you get the Saint's Row reboot. I could go on.

TLDR; Their is an epidemic of businesses pandering....to non fans. Then getting the surprise Pikachu face when they lose money.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:46 PM, TheInfernoman said:

It drives me nuts because you ask yourself if not for fans then who is this even for? All I see is another production by people who took a popular IP and the established fans to prop up their poorly made story. If they had skill, they could make their own original trash instead of tarnishing an established one and insulting fans. 

I see all these video games adaptations as basically the next step behind rebooting a bunch of old IPs as they're something people are already familiar with that has a built in fan base because another entity has done a lot of the hard work of establishing it. So there's less risk to adapting it.

In a lot of cases, I don't think they care that it's an existing IP with its own lore and characters, they just need to get eyeballs on the screen and are hedging their bets.

BTW, it seems that the day has finally come.

Kotaku is imploding.

Their parent company is forcing them to stop talking about politics, insulting gamers, etc and to pivot on reporting only about games and make guides.

So of course, most of the staff has quit.

Only a staff of 7 people is left 🤣

It is very possible that the mandate of having to do 15? 50? guides per week is a way to clean house 🤣