Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

12 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I've seen that woman (Gothix) and she's one of those Coondice Owens types. Wouldn't believe anything she has to say.

EDIT: Maybe "wouldn't believe" isn't wholly right. I'd believe they fired her. But I'd also believe she deserved it.

I didn't know who she was so I decided to just glance...

Kenan Thompson Wow GIF by Paramount+

She's not Candice level...but she's seems to be definitely not someone I'd want to have floating in my feed. 

Just the other day I saw someone call her Gabrielle Coonion, and another person on the same note call her Gabrielle Confederacy. They were both jumping off someone else calling her an evil Gabrielle Union. Twitter can be amazing.

But back on topic, that Gothix chick is on that type of shit. So, I'd disregard anything she says.

And so... Dookor and his crew arrived in the first major city area where you meet that dude that looks like Idris Elba...... I fought the large ogre by the waterfall... it's a bit unfortunate that I already know about using the explosive barrel by the rocks since so many videos showed that off...after all that water hit him it didn't take long to kill the rest of his hp.  I have the Quickspell ability (a must-have asap) and now the lightning spell.  When you start off, you only have that 1 fire spell and the basic non-element magical shot.  

ha, so I just saw a pawn by the name of HOE#1 in Dragon's Dogma 2... nice; yeah I had her in the crew for a while.

I unlocked Sorcerer vocation a few moments ago...and more spells so now I'm finally cookin' with the real power here.  One slight annoyance is the graphical texture stuff disappears sometimes...  there's been several occasions where the "dirt" on my character that helps him look nice and shit-stained.... is gone....and that sadly leaves him just looking like a regular dude.  At least the strange green eyes are there to make him look non-human.  I should have also made him as dark-skinned as possible.

Based on the discourse surrounding it, Stellar Blade is going to be this years Hogwart's Legacy. A game that see it sales numbers boosted because of gaming "journalists" inability to just STFU about something they don't like, Eve's design. So, people will push back against them and buy the game to spite them. Just like they did with Hogwart's Legacy. Did they learn from that situation? Of course not, they've been clowns since the ME3 controversy. They speak like they have the moral high ground when they are the most lost rent pieces of shit out there. Running interference for despicable people instead of exposing them. Getting back to Stellar Blade, the game seems really polished. It's not just a flashy, shallow, hack and slash. I haven't gotten the hang of the combat system yet but it actually has the depth to make me want to put forth effort.

Super late VGM Fridays!   Women's History Month.   I wanted to also do my normal contribution but it took too long for me to do this lol.

Spoiler

June or Jun Chikuma - Mostly known for the music from Bomberman games, Also made music for Adventure Island, Wonder Boy II and apparently also did some music for Sonic and the Secret Rings.  Secret Rings seems to be the last game that she took a part of but she's still making music...She came out with an album in 2022 called "The Midas Touch" that I came across while looking up information on her.

Fumie Kumatani -  Mostly known for the music in the Sonic series starting with SA1.  Last game she had some work on appears to have been Sonic Forces...probably mostly the Shadow stages.  I'm assuming she'll have a hand in some of the music for the Shadow portion of Sonic x Shadow Generations.

Lyn Inaizumi - Not much info I can find on her but I don't think she needs much introduction...if you've listened to any of the really popular tracks from the most recent Persona 5 games and it's upgrades and sequels then there's a good chance you've heard her voice.  She's billed as a jazz and soul vocalist..which seems about right.

Penka Kouneva - She's not really big into games but she has done work orchestrating mostly for TV and movies.  Movies that she's had a hand in orchestrating include Bayformers: Dark of the Moon, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Bayformers, The Matrix Reloaded and Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End.  He seems to work with Steve Jablonsky a lot...which comes as no surprise that she had a hand in orchestrating Gears 2 and 3 with him.  She also helped orchestrate Bloodborne.

Laura Shigihara - Mostly known for the music she did for Plants vs. Zombies.  She also has a small track for Deltarune. 

Yoshino Aoki - She started out with Capcom before going freelance and co founding a music studio with Tetsuya Shibata.  She actually is the one doing the vocals for Roll's theme .  Games she's worked on include MMX3, Breath of Fire III and IV, MMBN 2,  3 and 6 , FFXV, ReMake 3 and also did some arrangements for Smash Ult.

Got a pretty nice birthday game haul with Gran Turismo 7, Lies Of P, Rez Infinite, and a physical edition of Getsu Fumaden Undying Moon. I haven't played a GT game since 3 so I'm interested to see how the series has shaped up since then and have been looking forward to Lies of P since before came out. I finally beat Getsu Fumaden week before last and I think it's an incredible game, I just wish Konami had seen fit to finish it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go for the platinum on Sekiro or not. The Mortal Journey gauntlet doesn't seem worth the squeeze but if I did it, I'd know I'd done everything I could do in the game and like beating the game itself, would feel like a pretty big accomplishment.

Ok, I finished the Stellar Blade demo... yeahhhhh baby this is good stuff.  It's as good as bought day 1, easy.  There's a cool first boss encounter to end the demo; when you kill that thing it immediately goes into a flashy montage of the action to be expected here.

I'm liking the parrying and "blink" ability a little more as my defensive option... the "blink" is a thing of beauty.

On the TnA front---imagine what would be possible if/when this hits PC and the modders work their magic.  

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Game has real solid AA Energy and I mean that as a compliment. Nothing it does is as satisfying as the games it apes from, but it pulls them off well enough that I could enjoy this game at like the $40 or $50 dollar price point. If the story is actually good then I could pay $70, but I have my doubts lol. 

and finally--- I've been trying over and over to beat the act 2 boss on Baldur's Gate 3 for some crazy amount of time today.... 

Astarion came through with such a critical big hit for 49 damage out of nowhere on a sneak arrow shot...that was an unexpected big deal to help turn the tide on what was seeming like yet another hopeless attempt.  Minthara was down, unfortunately...and she's one of the heavy hitters.  I had to use that new *spoiler* Dark Urge-specific power, so with that I was able to get some big hits as well and that finally sealed his fate.  This played out like such an epic grand finale battle in a show, with some people dead or critically injured... our main protagonist having to rely on his latest upgraded power he recently acquired to finish the fight in a big way.  The characters even look bloody and bruised now, as they stand over their defeated foes on the battlefield.

One of them had an illithid worm in there so that's another little upgrade power for us to collect; I let Minthara have this one.   My warlock has 7 or 8 of those unlocked at this point.

Baldur's Gate---quite unfortunate there's only 4 characters to a party... I want to get Gale back into the crew, but it's a tough call having to give up one of the others: Astarion, Shadowheart and Minthara are just too good/useful to leave any of them back at camp....and their stories are interesting.

*I was going to leave it there with finishing Act 2....but so much cool shit just happened; major revelation; part of it I already figured... an "Emperor" showed up and I made a choice of who to side with in a battle that was going on.   ...and this latest battle was pure highlight reel stuff.  Our enemies stood no chance, really...even though they had some interesting/cool attacks.

So many layers...so much going on to think about and reflect on.... This game, man....  words can't really do the experience justice.

whoahhhh and I didn't think this big choice would happen just yet but here we go.... 

Clapping Applause GIF

Spoiler

The choice the Emperor gives you---- you can change into a partial illithid....and yep, I went for it.

One of the new Illithid powers is to transform into a displacer beast!!!

...yep, and I got Minthara to take one of the "special" illithid tadpoles....ohhh yes.  We have ascended to this glorious new level of power.

Edited by MillionX

Managed to tryout the Stellar Blade demo in between a Rise of the Ronin session!!
Happy that these two PS5 games are out, I can use my PS5 after keeping it under a dust cover since middle of January!

Also got Dragon's Dogma 2 on PC...and the thief vocation is fun as hell!! 
Performance wise everything  is fine! 
Inside the big city of Vernworth...'eh!! 🙄

Here's my current playthrough videos of RotR and Dragon's Dogma 2

Spoiler

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I saw that IGN quote in my feed about "the CEO has never seen a woman" which would be super fucking awkward thing to say when the dev purposely told people and put up a video that showed they scanned a woman as a model for the character.

Also from some of the music I've heard while watching gameplay here and there of the game, the OST for this game sounds pretty interesting.  I may have to fully check it out later.

I'm putting this up because this isn't GI's opinion of what the greatest game of all time is...this is based on the opinions of people who voted which makes this far more interesting.

Baldur's Gate....

haha, so there's a circus... most unfortunate error in judgement that they allowed my warlock and his bloodthirsty crew of murder-hobos in there.  They actually bought the lie when I promised to not cause trouble 🤣  

There's what looks like a cross-dressing necromancer person with a cool magic "staff of hollows" I think it's called... we casted a cloud of darkness on her and the dancing skeletons while Astarion ran over to the tent area to lockpick the treasure chest she had... then figured what the hell and went on to kill them with a fireball into the darkness...Minthara got the finisher hit on that bitch and then secured the weapon.  There was some dwarf that ran over trying to help so we killed him too.  Surprisingly this didn't cause too much of a noticeable scene so we got away with it.

...shortly after that there's an area with a caged displacer beast... I tried picking the lock to set him free but of course that didn't go over well... I should cast invisibility first then...

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I saw that IGN quote in my feed about "the CEO has never seen a woman" which would be super fucking awkward thing to say when the dev purposely told people and put up a video that showed they scanned a woman as a model for the character.

Oh it's even worse than that. Dude is married. Has been for a decade. To top it off, his wife is an artist and they work together.

These are some of her character designs.

You know this is another example of how shit gaming "journalist" are. Maybe they could of, I don't know used Google to see if the guy was married before they made that stupid comment. It would be have been a dumb comment either way. However, when you find out that not only is he married but his wife designs characters in the same vain, it cranks the stupidity up to 11.

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Oh it's even worse than that. Dude is married. Has been for a decade. To top it off, his wife is an artist and they work together.

These are some of her character designs.

You know this is another example of how shit gaming "journalist" are. Maybe they could of, I don't know used Google to see if the guy was married before they made that stupid comment. It would be have been a dumb comment either way. However, when you find out that not only is he married but his wife designs characters in the same vain, it cranks the stupidity up to 11.

Oh look a another female character designer likes thicc curves....imagine that.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9526232bawe24yd5up8cz

Whoever that person at IGN France is needs to put on a dunce cap, asap. One of the very first pressers about Stellar Blade was the main character is a 1:1 Mocap of a South Korean model Shin Jae-eun. I’m pretty sure they even interviewed her asking what the process was like. 

I mean, ffs. A simple google search could have told you that. The fact the dude from IGN’s wife is doujin waifu artist is just the icing on the fucking cake. 

2 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

This isn’t the case for my girl and I. It also shouldn’t be that way for any healthy relationship where you embrace the others hobbies.

When my gf and I  thought my PS5 died she was immediately like “if we can’t get it fixed when we go to the console repair shop  we’ll dip into the savings account and buy you a new one” 

Edited by iStu X

Well, I'm kind of hoping Capcom doesn't cave to whatever pressure may come their way from the fans about the "Dragonsplague" issue in Dragon's Dogma... it sounds like an interesting concept to me....and yeah I'm regretting that I watched a video about it.  I imagine that could've been a cool surprise.

...but yeah, we have all seen how sometimes a company will cave to pressure if the fanbase whines about something being a bit too harsh/difficult on the player.  I remember being terribly disappointed that Bethesda changed and "fixed" the random vampire attacks on town areas in Skyrim all those years ago (basically; people didn't like it because this of course meant various npcs [especially vendors and some side-quest related people if I recall] could end up permanently dead...sometimes without you even being there to try and intervene)... it was frustrating as it seemed like I was the only Skyrim fan thinking that idea was pretty damn awesome.... I loved it--- that looming threat of them being out there, capable of striking anyone, anywhere.... no one's safe.  

...also reminds me; I saw vids showing that monsters in Dragon's Dogma 2 can actually follow you into the town areas 😆  Hell yeah, now that's the good stuff.  More rpgs need to roll like that. 

Nobody is safe....heh, you thought going back to town made things ok?

Surprise Threaten GIF

Edited by MillionX