Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

17 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

https://twitter.com/kukuruyo/status/1775880361953599508?t=wqNT8KsWiJQv6JsJcwmWnw&s=19

Ugh no embedding but comic on our fave hot topic Stellar Blade

https://twitter.com/kukuruyo/status/1775880361953599508

I couldn't get the link to work at first. While I can't get the embed to work, I think this link will work better.

Edit: Okay this is weird. Man, it's like the either link doesn't work. I think you have to be logged in to Twitter/X to see it.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

That new Joker in the Suicide Squad game looks awful... it's one of those that looks bootleg... like one of the "Jokerz" gang that's not really him but just some random goon pretender.  It is funny/odd though that 1 of his eyes looks "off", like Biggie.

Meanwhile, in Baldur's Gate--- I'm still pondering which path to take this character in Act 3 on... who to side with; it's actually quite a tough choice (and oh yes---both appear to be things an evil character would ally themselves with)....so in the meantime, I've been playing another character that's still in Act 1, doing stuff I missed earlier. (*if you miss the "Underdark" area, there's quite a lot going on in there)

Also---"Haste" spell, folks.... definitely go for that asap; I forgot when I got it for Gale but it's a simple thing that is incredible--- as DnD fans already know I'm sure, it grants an extra action per turn for whoever you cast it on....so you can imagine the powerful advantage that will give in battle, when you can easily do 2 devastating attacks (maybe 3 counting your bonus action) in 1 turn.

6 minutes ago, MillionX said:

That new Joker in the Suicide Squad game looks awful... it's one of those that looks bootleg... like one of the "Jokerz" gang that's not really him but just some random goon pretender.  It is funny/odd though that 1 of his eyes looks "off", like Biggie.

Visually it reminds me of Ceasar Romero's Joker. Doesn't really fit the Arkham Vibe....

Playing 4 skull difficulty ranked levels in Rayman Legends is making me feel some kinda way. In these stages, its tougher to get everything and it just irks me to pass by and see that I don't have everything in all the stages I've played thus far.

I fired up Crimson Clover World Explosion. I wish this had a physical copy. Since I haven't played in a hot minute, I'm super rusty. Lost count of how many continues I used. And the game tells me to beat stage 5 without using a continiue.

So What No GIF

Look, game, I know I'm cheeks. You don't gotta rub salt. 

Man Gran Turismo 7 takes up like half my PS4’s hdd. I deleted a bunch of stuff, freed up something like 160+ GB and was able to play yesterday but there was an update today and it kept telling me that I didn't have enough space for what turns out was a pretty nominal update, so I just deleted it. Guess that one will be a PS5 only game for me.

10 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I fired up Crimson Clover World Explosion. I wish this had a physical copy. Since I haven't played in a hot minute, I'm super rusty. Lost count of how many continues I used. And the game tells me to beat stage 5 without using a continiue.

So What No GIF

Look, game, I know I'm cheeks. You don't gotta rub salt. 

Crimzon Clover is so fucking good, definitely my favorite shmup. No  second loop nonesense, straightforward (but deep) mechanics, no annoying loli crap or cringey story to get in the way either. I do wish there was a difficulty step in between Novice and Arcade though, the jump is pretty steep.

2 hours ago, Camacho said:

Crimzon Clover is so fucking good, definitely my favorite shmup. No  second loop nonesense, straightforward (but deep) mechanics, no annoying loli crap or cringey story to get in the way either. I do wish there was a difficulty step in between Novice and Arcade though, the jump is pretty steep.

I've had that ish on on wishlist for probably close to 2 years based on people here saying how good it is and it never goes on sale lol

haha I already knew going into that link that the correct choice of Mario would not be the #1 spot on the list. 🤣

...and right behind Mario... Agent 47?  Really? 😆  ...and Sackboy? 

**when is the last time we've even seen Sackboy?!  I forgot if he even got a PS4 game or not; he was in that Smash clone with the Playstation "all-stars" I *think* but I don't remember anything else recent.  

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

LOL this has to be the worst fucking poll of all time in regards to iconic video game characters.  I won't even spoil any of it so you all can facepalm at this list.

https://www.bafta.org/media-centre/press-releases/bafta-most-iconic-character-poll-results

Oh those lovable Brits. Can't imagine why the top character is British and created originally by a British development studio. It is pure complete coincedence I assure you. 🤣

Edited by Darc_Requiem
12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

If he gets fired I'll be surprised but this is definitely a wild hill to die on in regards to this game.

Dudes going scorched earth over the dumbest shit ever. Especially since his wife is a doujin anime artist who draws the exact shit he’s bitching and moaning about 

His dragging his and his employers reputation through the mud when he needs to just shut the fuck up. 

He said his piece and should have took the L but instead he’s digging his heels in and going all in and then some. I don’t understand 

Edited by iStu X

Like Million said putting Lara over Mario is Wild AF.  You don't even have to like or play Mario to know this is almost objectively wrong.  This whole thing has some wild shit in it.  Astarion from BG3 is a top 20 icons?   For real?  My guy been in 1 whole game (Had to look up if he's been any other Baldur's gates and...nope...just 3) last year and he's instantly top 20?  The amount of people Sackboy stepped over to be no.5 is nuts!  Agent 47 at 3 is ridiculous considering the characters he stepped over to get to that spot.  Ellie over Nathan is interesting...don't agree with that either.  And as much as I enjoy RDR2...Arthur?   Really?  Over Pikachu, Solid Snake and Crash?  They need to sell whatever they are on cause I'm sure they could make a profit.

I feel like 5 Nintendo characters could be on the top 20 list of iconic characters.

Mario

Donkey Kong

Bowser

Princess Peach

Luigi

I'm not saying they all SHOULD be on there, but if they were on there, I wouldn't have a problem with them.  I feel more people know who those 5 characters are than characters even like Drake or Ellie or a handful of characters on that list.

Oh yeah Double Dragon is on sale on Steam again, probably to coincide with that free update with new characters.

Nobody Saves the World is on a Steam sale as well.

Baldur's Gate--- I saved "True Soul Nere" in the Underdark recently and got one of those illithid tadpoles as a reward... now I'm considering killing the guy if we can, since I read somewhere you can get another tadpole that way.  

8 hours ago, Camacho said:

I wanted a second loop so badly until the World Explosion update gave us the remixed Medal Mode. Before then the only flaw thebgame had was lacking content compared to its contemporaries. It needed a second loop or a new game mode. We got the better of the two imo in the new mode. 

20 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Disappointingly the new SaGa game sucks. I’ve been messing around with the demo and just…ugh.

Saying it was made with a shoe string budget with a skeleton crew feels like I’m being optimistic. It’s so bad. 

Yea I watched a video on it this mourning and...um yea not good. Thats twice now the new SaGa game has been Dookie. Wonder what the issue is, Mana found its footing. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Disappointingly the new SaGa game sucks. I’ve been messing around with the demo and just…ugh.

Saying it was made with a shoe string budget with a skeleton crew feels like I’m being optimistic. It’s so bad. 

Ugh....sounds like a redux of what happened to Star Ocean. The remasters have been good but unfortunately the same can't be said for the new entries into the series.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I wanted a second loop so badly until the World Explosion update gave us the remixed Medal Mode. Before then the only flaw thebgame had was lacking content compared to its contemporaries. It needed a second loop or a new game mode. We got the better of the two imo in the new mode. 

I've always hated the "second loop" concept in shmups. Having to do 2 near perfect runs in one session is brutal, and takes quite a while. Too high stakes for me. I didn't feel that World Ignition was lacking content- you had novice, arcade, and unlimited difficulties, boost mode, time attack mode, and a very robust training mode. Of course, another mode was welcome, but I certainly didn't think it was slim on content before.

One thing I would  have liked as an addition was a single stage mode that kept score records per stage. Even bolting it onto practice mode where you had "stock" settings locked in for scored stages would have been great.  Honestly, I think the Jamestown model (stage select, increasing difficulties unlocked, no credit feeding to plow through) is the ideal layout for shmups (and other arcade style games) today. I suspect it would keep more people playing for longer, as the goal would feel way more attainable than a true 1CC start to finish run (saying this as someone who has north of 70 hours in the game between GOG and both versions on Steam that hasn't finished a 1CC on Arcade normal mode). 

18 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I've always hated the "second loop" concept in shmups. Having to do 2 near perfect runs in one session is brutal, and takes quite a while.

I love second loops but I Haye them as a completion requirement they should be "more for those who want more." I fuckingnHATE Cabes design philosophy of needing to perfect 2 loops to see the true end it's total bullshit. But Gradius giving me 255 loops to tackle as an optional way of getting more Gradius? Fuck yes please. That's dope. 

More robust training mode options in general would be great. It's very annoying how hard it is to practice a lot of later stages properly because ypu can't set up a real would example of how you are going tonarrive at that stage. It's even worse if the game has any kind of rank mechanics which most do. If I can't set stage 5 to the proper rank I'm going to experience there then your practice mode is useless unfortunately. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ugh....sounds like a redux of what happened to Star Ocean. The remasters have been good but unfortunately the same can't be said for the new entries into the series.

Yeah. The newest star ocean was also really bad. I only played it for a few hours but I just couldn’t vibe with it. It just felt awful in almost every regard.

I’ll stick to playing Second Story R. 

Edited by iStu X

A real shame that Capcom has become one of those companies that is content to just sit on their old IPs forever... I was just remembering how much I enjoyed those Power Stone games.  Last thing that was out was the double-pack on  PSP.  I'm doubting they ever do anything with it again, just like Rival Schools and Viewtiful Joe....even with the modern trend of simply re-packaging old stuff as a "Re-release" compilation pack as a quick nostalgia cash-grab.

...but yeah, I played the hell out of Power Stone in the arcade when it was new, and of course it and part 2 were bought immediately when I got the Dreamcast later.  I would've loved seeing that and Rival Schools/Project Justice continue....such cool art and character designs, overall style and fun; I couldn't get enough.  Viewtiful Joe is still one of my top rank favorite games ever made.

I'm gonna need this guy to explain to me how complaining about not having optimal water temperature relates to white privalege cause that sounds more like a 1st world problem more than anything.

Some of the other things he has don't really scream out "I hate white guys and asians" though...I would like some context at least on what he's responding to.

Edit:

Oh nooooo...not the PoC can't racist to white people mindset again...

Edited by Sonichuman