Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the blood in Stellar Blade has more to do with performance then censorship. The game runs better now then the Demo did. 

I believe there is also a toggle for it in the options menu or something. I remember something like that mentioned during the Digital Foundry tech review. 

The Hard R thing is more of just cultural sensitivity and not wanting to step on toes in one of the worlds biggest markets. 

Doesn't really seem like anything in the games really been censored...

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Does anyone else get a kick out of Eve's animation when she picks up a drink can. All I need is the Zelda treasure chest theme to play during it for it to be perfect 🤣

It's pretty cute. I still like the coin animation best of what I have seen. 

One of the more level headed reviews for this game ive seen. 

16 hours ago, Hecatom said:

WhatsApp_Image_2024-04-26_at_16.04.05_7c

So Hifi Rush seems to have not sold at all on the Playstation.
And from what we know, being day one on the gamepass made it not sell at on xbox either 🤔

It's unfortunate because it's a pretty slick game. I bought it on Steam before it was available on the PS5. 

12 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

You dont do much exploring do you?  You use a guide so you can just blast through the game or something?

😂 no, not really. I still have so much to complete on this save file. This was a comment I made to my friends too, but I’m not sure why they push you to finish the main game story so early. I didn’t use any guides apart from how to get to the Radahn Festival, but I already had both halves of the Dectus Medallion at that point anyway and just didn’t know what they were for.

Anyway, I’ve got the Age of Fracture ending, but I’m going to continue exploring and finishing the game. I was hoping for more necessary content before completing the game, but now it’s my turn to let loose from the guidance of Grace and explore alone.

4 hours ago, Abbachio said:

I've got through all 4 souls games, Bloodborne, Elden Ring and Sekiro. I need to get to Armoured Core next.

You should do some more exploring in Elden Ring though.

Powerful. I’m not planning on playing Bloodborne or DS2 or Demon’s Souls. Bloodborne would be cool, but it’s just too much a hassle to emulate when I have 90% of ER ahead of me.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the blood in Stellar Blade has more to do with performance then censorship. The game runs better now then the Demo did. 

I believe there is also a toggle for it in the options menu or something. I remember something like that mentioned during the Digital Foundry tech review. 

The Hard R thing is more of just cultural sensitivity and not wanting to step on toes in one of the worlds biggest markets. 

Doesn't really seem like anything in the games really been censored...

Based on the Digital Foundry Demo and Final Game tests. That's not the case. Shift Up, to their credit, had just produced at well optimized game. Which more impressive because it's their first big release. I mean the Balanced Mode is better than the 60fps modes in most games. It looks to be doing well from a sales standpoint. Which is a good thing because that will allow them to self publish. Hopefully this game gets a PC release. Given how well it runs on PS5. 4K 60 won't be an issue for a mid level PC gamer. And at the high end 120+fps and 4K should be a thing.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

Powerful. I’m not planning on playing Bloodborne or DS2 or Demon’s Souls. Bloodborne would be cool, but it’s just too much a hassle to emulate when I have 90% of ER ahead of me.

I'll always recommend Demon's Souls, even with it's faults and age, as I feel it's atmosphere is unmatched. DaS2 though can fuck off, either version, I don't think very highly of that one.

I played DeS again last year and decided I don't like that game it has great atmosphere but I hate almost everything else for some reason. I just don't have fun playing it. 

I beaten all their modern work minus Armored Core 6 and Deracine. 

For old stuff, I beat the Kings Field games on PS1 but haven't been through Kings Field 4. I've also finished Ever Grace but not Forever Kingdom. Otogi 1 but not 2, the sequel was a lot harder for me to find, I only acquired it recently. 

Thats about it off the top of my head. No Armored Cores. I've played them but never finished any of them. 

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

Well, I got my copy of Stellar Blade... physical, of course.  Now the real challenge is if I could get away from the lure of Baldur's Gate, Diablo and Dragon's Dogma 2 for a minute to actually play it.

I pre-ordered the game at Best Buy the night before release. I had some rewards certificates that took the price down by 50%. It won't get here till the 8th apparently. 

Not mad about it though. I'm doing a reorg of my man-cave and don't have the surround sound done yet. 

Seems like not too many brick and mortar retailers got it physically. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

I have a really hard time believing...well, anyone when they say they didnt use a guide to get through dark souls style games.  I also think its funny that they'll always say that then say they did use a guide for a specific part.  Does it make them feel more hardcore not using a guide?  I go into those games and dont use a guide but I never get really anywhere till I do.  Its more just exploring and doing shit im suppose to by accident.  Once I feel im starting to get bored of the game I start using a guide. 

Like with Elden Ring.  I got 50 hours into the game and I had only beaten the first boss.  That would have been enough for me but a few friends decided to do coop.  These guys already beat the game and shit so we blasted through it real fast. 

I don't use a guide until after my first clear then I'll start looking up what I missed. Thats generally after 60+ hours of playing tho, I figure it's probably fine at that point. Figuring out where to go in those games really isn't that hard, and I would argue Elden Rings the easiest one of them all in that regard considering so many Geace Points literally point you in the direction to go. Then if you just have any inclination to explore even a little you'll find plenty of stuff all on your own. I was able to complete the majority of Rannis quest line and get the Darkmoon Grearsword on my first run. It's really not that hard to figure out where to go if you just explore, but most gamers don't know how to actually guide themselves, they need quest markers and arrows and compases and mini maps to tell them where to go. When I can I turn most of those hud elements off, they are distracting the very nature of exploring and finding stuff imo. 

I did barely any of the side quests in Dragon's Dogma 2 but I still uncovered the entire map, found almost all the high end hidden super monsters and everything without a guide. It's just really not that hard to poke your nose into every corner of the map yoy just have to actually be curious and enjoys finding shit instead of having it spoon fed to you entire the time. 

Edited by RSG3
3 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

didnt know dmc3 bp had co op. als the split screen boss figght was a trip

If I remember right it's only available in the Switch Release of DMC3SE which is super duper weird. You'd think they would update all console releases to that edition. I'd buy DMC3 again to play Co-op Bloody Palace but I dunno anyone on Switch who likes thise games while in the PS environment I have a few friends who would be down that. Very strange imo. 

Same boat. I always do my first playthrough of a game without a guide. That usually gets me to unlocking about 30-40% of what the game has to offer (including collectibles, hidden missions, etc). After reading through the guides I usually notice that about 20-30% of the game's secret stuff I would have NEVER guessed to do because of some insanely cryptic shit

5 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It's unfortunate because it's a pretty slick game. I bought it on Steam before it was available on the PS5. 

Indeed.

It is a game. I think would have benefitted from being on PS5 since those kind of games do good there, but I guess due the busy games release schedule and probably a good chunk of people already playing it on gamepass not many are willing to buy it 😓

This game, alongside Sunset Overdrive and KI are the only games I want to see ported to PS

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The most of the comments in response to this move my heart

Thats fine, you don't have to understand it. Not everything in the world is for you to understand. I'll never understand being concerned with how other adults spend their free time, yet here you are. 

Thats my take on it. 

I've mentioned before that the odd thing to me was the guys from my generation that didn't play videogames.  I knew one personally at least, and it was just strange, considering it's not like he was from some poor family that couldn't afford it; they were at least middle class (*and even poor kids at the time would have been into games, since in the arcade era you only needed a quarter to play those....very low cost of entry to the hobby there).....missing out on an entire category of entertainment.  It's like a person saying "yeah....I don't like music."  Or... "yeah....I don't watch movies at all."  It's just bizarre and makes them the odd one, imo.

....but it is a generational thing to some extent though----like I could understand an actual "baby boomer" generation person being that way, since this industry simply did not exist when they were kids....they would only have been into comics and tv shows.  

Interesting----he *did* specify "grown" people though....so he must be in that other category of people who think you should just STOP having fun with certain things when you "grow up" which is still strange to me if you're talking about video games.....to think once you get there "well, since I am in my 20s now so I'm not supposed to enjoy this anymore."  That's just weird and sad, imo.

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Don't have Twitter, can't see threads, wanna give a break down of what he's talking about? 

I haven't played the game so I don't know the full context of what he's talking about but I found it interesting that Shift Up essentially pulled a "Quiet" with the character and used the story to explain why she's dressed the way she is according to what Gene is saying.  Someone who has played through the game on here might be able to explain it better.

59 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Apparently Playstation is offering refunds for Stellar Blade if you claim false advertising which is even more funny to me.

I'm surprised by this. Sony are typically asshats about refunds on PSN. Check that, they are assholes about this type of thing in general. I still remember the PS2 laser debacle. They refused to admit fault, got hit with a class action lawsuit, settled with no admission of guilt, and wouldn't fix your PS2 for free if it had been opened up already. Like people just sat around for years saying "let me see how this plays out".

I mean look, them censoring the game post launch is bullshit, but it damn good game and I'm not refunding it over it.  And lets be honest here, there is little to play on my PS5 that isn't on PC already. Just this and Rebirth. I've already played my Switch more this year, than I did my PS5 all of last year. If Shift Up is going to drop polished single player content that only takes of 30GB of space your hard drive, then I'm going to want this game to be successful. Lord knows the stalwarts of the industry have been shoveling out bloated crap with $70 point of entry that often isn't the whole game and even if you buy that $100 plus deluxe addition, you still got micro-transactions to deal with.

TLDR: It's not worth stifling a promising up and coming developer over Sony's puritan nonsense. The more successful they are, the more independent they'll be. It's nice to play a "AAA" release that isn't well over 100 gigs, optimized as hell, and not full of micro-transactions.

Gonna be a "contrarian", but I will say that is more than just let the devs cook.
We have stories of devs wasting 6 to 8 years cooking and getting nowhere.

If they have weake management with not a clear vision, but more importantly, a strong sense of what to cut in favor of said vision, you can have a talented team with good ideas that will fumble at the end.

Good thread for anyone salty about Paper Mario TTYD running at 30fps

the tl;dr is the ttyd remaster team likely would have had to sacrifice too much to keep it at 60fps consistently due to new tech/engine and all the polishing, updating and cleaning up they did. So they lowered it to keep the experience consistent throughout the game. 

I get it. 

Edited by iStu X
On 4/27/2024 at 1:54 PM, Abbachio said:

I'll always recommend Demon's Souls, even with it's faults and age, as I feel it's atmosphere is unmatched. DaS2 though can fuck off, either version, I don't think very highly of that one.

By Allah, I will never play that game. I was so excited to play it and willing to put up with everything until I learned about the healing system. I will never willingly experience that.

4 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Demon's Souls. Also Dark Souls 2, but I was referring to DS there.

Oh. What's the issue with the healing system that makes you not want to play? If anything the Grasses are overpowered...there's no real carry limit on them. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Oh. What's the issue with the healing system that makes you not want to play? If anything the Grasses are overpowered...there's no real carry limit on them. 

That's a great point, but the part where I have to work for them is something I'm not interested in. I prefer the system of having a certain amount of Estus that you can upgrade over time with exploration.

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

That's a great point, but the part where I have to work for them is something I'm not interested in. I prefer the system of having a certain amount of Estus that you can upgrade over time with exploration.

I deffinitly prefer that to but I'll be honest yoy don't have to work for Grass, they get dropped pretty regularly because Demons Souls really isn't that hard. It's zones can be tough but only like 3 bosses are anything worth talking about. 

I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't let the grasses turn you off from at least giv8ng it a try. It's the same with Bloodvials in Bloodborne, once you get a hang of the loop youre never really struggling for Vials. 

Of course do you, just making the argument lol. Personally I dont like Demons Souls very much, but it's worth giving a shot. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I deffinitly prefer that to but I'll be honest yoy don't have to work for Grass, they get dropped pretty regularly because Demons Souls really isn't that hard. It's zones can be tough but only like 3 bosses are anything worth talking about. 

I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't let the grasses turn you off from at least giv8ng it a try. It's the same with Bloodvials in Bloodborne, once you get a hang of the loop youre never really struggling for Vials. 

Of course do you, just making the argument lol. Personally I dont like Demons Souls very much, but it's worth giving a shot. 

I'll consider it. With that said, I'm not about to emulate it. I'll borrow my old PS5 from my roommate if I have spare cash at some point and spring for it after I'm satisfied with my Elden Mid experience.