Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

5 hours ago, iStu X said:

Was she? I don’t remember. Either way. She’s THE CUTE. I really do wish I could get into BotW/TotK cause I LOVE all the character designs and how they’re legit putting in effort to world building and lore but christ I hate the game play. 

Per story lore in BotW, Purah was doing experiments on herself and accidentally de-aged herself into an adorable lil child.  She's not as old as Impa but she is closer to Impa's age in the fact that she's actually over 100 years old.

400px-Purah_-_TotK_Character_Profile_art

Edited by Sonichuman
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

In an attempt to cling onto any relevancy, David Jaffe complains about the art style of Tears of the Kingdom. Even using AI art to “fix” it.

I'm not even sure what to make of this post to be honest.  Cause first glance at the bottom tweet and I'm like

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Like he doesn't really go into any specifics on what it is about the visuals he doesn't like he just essentially says "The visuals are not that great" .  I don't know Jaffe is expecting here...and I don't know what Jaffe wants?  Cause that AI art up there doesn't tell me shit other than he wants some of the color to be sucked out of the game.  Like...I don't know what to make of this take from a dev/former dev.  This game is 16 gigs running on behind the curve hardware to make sure the portable battery doesn't pull a Game Gear 7 years ago.  The games map and density has some how over doubled in size in comparison BotW's 15.7 gigs  (including DLC) of space and that's with all these systems in this game talking together to make people do the crazy shit that people have been putting videos of themselves.  Is he expecting this game to be running 4K?   I don't understand why he can't look at this as a dev and say "they're doing some crazy shit on this hardware".  Like I don't know what's happening here lol.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt so I'm trying to read through his responses to people just to see if he can clarify or give examples of what's wrong with the visuals or if he's just trolling...but so far all I'm getting is him doing the vague double down.

Yeah...I don't think he's trolling.  I'm not gonna sit here and say TotK's visuals are perfect in every way because there's always going to be something that can be improved but considering what they're doing with this game?  It's pretty close to perfect visually.    The only thing that would make this game better is the game being on better hardware with Horizon FW or RDR2's cloud systems but I know the switch can't do that but what they have works for what they need it to do.  That and maybe better water reflections with 60 fps  but that's really about it.  When the years go by and they inevitably revisit these games (BotW and TotK) on better hardware down the line they probably won't even have to do much since the game is really strong aesthetically and artistically.

But hey what do I know?  Maybe David will enjoy Redfall? That game looks really good visually.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Well...she was already de aged in BotW though...I'm more curious if she experimented and found out a way to grow up betwwen BotW and TotK or if there really was like a 10 year gap between  the games cause she was like 8 years old body wise in BotW

Yall ain't been snoopin in Purahs diaries I see. 

Jaffe is so fucking unprofessional it's fucking hilarious. You'd think a guy who spent decades making games would be able to talk about them better then your average internet poster. He's also incredibly disingenuous because he criticizes the graphical powers of the game, but also keeps saying he doesn't give a shit. 

Which is it Dave? Are they bad enough to bug you or do you not care? If it bugs you enough to continually comment then clearly you care on some level so stop saying you don't care. 

Dude fence sits like a politician. 

Edited by RSG3
9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah...I don't think he's trolling.  I'm not gonna sit here and say TotK's visuals are perfect in every way because there's always going to be something that can be improved but considering what they're doing with this game?  It's pretty close to perfect visually.    The only thing that would make this game better is the game being on better hardware with Horizon FW or RDR2's cloud systems but I know the switch can't do that but what they have works for what they need it to do.  That and maybe better water reflections with 60 fps  but that's really about it.  When the years go by and they inevitably revisit these games (BotW and TotK) on better hardware down the line they probably won't even have to do much since the game is really strong aesthetically and artistically.

But hey what do I know?  Maybe David will enjoy Redfall? That game looks really good visually.

TotK is hardly cutting edge fidelity wise but as John Linneman of Digital Foundry pointed out about it and BoW is the environments are far more interactive. Games like Horizon and the Witcher 3 look far better, yet are far more static. Until he mentioned it, I had not realized what a step back environmental interaction has taken over the past couple of gens. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
35 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

TotK is hardly cutting edge fidelity wise but as John Linneman of Digital Foundry pointed out about it and BoW is the environments are far more interactive. Games like Horizon and the Witcher 3 look far much better, yet are far more static. Until he mentioned, I had realized what a step back environmental interaction has taken over the past couple of gens. 

Yea thats a big thing, like it just raining has a HUGE impact on how the game functions, weather doesn't do shit in Horizon other then deep snow which is a static effect, all it does is slow you down and it's not a dynamic weather system or anything. You can't melt the snow for better movement or some shit. There's no interacting with its just deep snow thay makes you slower then normal. Thats all it does. In BOTW/TOTK it softens high landings so yoy take less damage, you shield slide on it faster and it does no degradation damage because it's snow, thays two benefits to snow for the player off the top of.my head while also having the deep snow effect Horizon has. Like Snow has multiple purposes, and thats just one weather effect in the game. 

Like maybe the game isn't getting dinged for visuals because it has an incredibly strong art direction, and people are having too much fun with environmental interactions and the build mechanics to care about the game not having Ray Tracing and real time reflections. I'm so glad CDPR has spent so much time on Ray Tracing in Cyberpunk 2077, that 90% of us can't use because we don't have the hardware for it (It looks so ass on PS5 the moment you move the game become unplayable) but yea Nintendo delivers a MASSIVE and COMPLETE package and he wants to talk about fucking graphics. No wonder so much of the industry is in the shit hole if industry leaders think like Jaffe does. 

Most people really don't give a fuck about ultra high fidelity graphics when you're too busy building B52 Bombers for bombing runs on Bokoblin Camps. 

Edited by RSG3

Since Sony put Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart on the PSN+ Extra, I decided to give it a try.

So far the game is really fun.

But what I really liked from the get go is that it give you an option to have RayTracing and 60fps at the cost of a lower resolution and so far it looks good and plays good, you can barely notice a difference of the lower res, unless you start searching for it.

I haven't read any actual TotK reviews because I don't want spoilers and don't really care, so maybe it was brought up in most of the reviews, but IMO the game doesn't deserve a 10/10 soley because the framerate dips so often.  That alone knocks a point off for me.  

I also had no clue the game literally had the same map as BotW until I ran into familiar places and was like WTF this the same map?  Then my buddy told me that has been known forever but I didn't pay attention to any trailers or anything so I wasn't aware of that.

Me personally, both of those knock off like .5 points so I'd give it like a 9/10.  The framerate can get very bothersome and the fact that it's more like BotW 1.5 than a new game drop it down a point or so.

That said, I'm having a blast with the game and it's crazy how easy it is to get sidetracked in the game.  I've played the game probably 12 hours and feel like I have made hardly any progress lol.

EDIT:

I also felt this way about Ragnarok.  I saw all these familiar places and was like WTF this the same map as the first game.  And the game still owned and is one of the best games.

Edited by purbeast
8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I haven't read any actual TotK reviews because I don't want spoilers and don't really care, so maybe it was brought up in most of the reviews, but IMO the game doesn't deserve a 10/10 soley because the framerate dips so often.  That alone knocks a point off for me.  

I also had no clue the game literally had the same map as BotW until I ran into familiar places and was like WTF this the same map?  Then my buddy told me that has been known forever but I didn't pay attention to any trailers or anything so I wasn't aware of that.

Me personally, both of those knock off 2 points so I'd give it like an 8/10 probably.  Maybe a 9/10.  The framerate can get very bothersome and the fact that it's more like BotW 1.5 than a new game drop it down a point or two.

That said, I'm having a blast with the game and it's crazy how easy it is to get sidetracked in the game.  I've played the game probably 12 hours and feel like I have made hardly any progress lol.

Marketing has been fairly consistent when they did put it out videos that it qas going to take place in the same area.  Think its been known since at least Trailer 2...possibly before hand since they mentioned Zelda and Link were exploring under the castle before the Upheaval.  Also the map is both the same...and isn't. 

Docking for frame dips is understandable.  The dips only seem to be consistent when there are a bunch of enemies around or when you start using Ultra hand.  Its def noticable but it strangely doesn't get in the way of the game much.

@purbeastI don't have the game. I never really got into BoW. From my understanding the game has the original map and two others. I won't say more because I don't know what you'd consider a spoiler. Although, I don't know enough about the game to really spoil anything. That said, I'll leave it vague. All that said, Nintendo needs to launch that Switch 2 next year.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@purbeastI don't have the game. I never really got into BoW. From my understanding the game has the original map and two others. I won't say more because I don't know what you'd consider a spoiler. Although, I don't know enough about the game to really spoil anything. That said, I'll leave it vague. All that said, Nintendo needs to launch that Switch 2 next year.

Yeah I mean I know the sky map wasn't in BotW and I think you probably confirmed the 3rd area that my buddy spoiled for me, but the sky map is like ... DLC type of map.  There isn't much to it (so far at least) and it's more like little Mario levels up in the sky lol.

2 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Marketing has been fairly consistent when they did put it out videos that it qas going to take place in the same area.  Think its been known since at least Trailer 2...possibly before hand since they mentioned Zelda and Link were exploring under the castle before the Upheaval.  Also the map is both the same...and isn't. 

Docking for frame dips is understandable.  The dips only seem to be consistent when there are a bunch of enemies around or when you start using Ultra hand.  Its def noticable but it strangely doesn't get in the way of the game much.

Yeah like I said, I didn't pay attention to any of that stuff.  

Still kind of weak.

I edited my other post too to mention I felt the same way about Ragnarok but it didn't detract from how good the game was.  Obviously that game didn't have performance issues though.

NRS did a small MK stream with Ed to talk to people

Also showed the Liu Kang statue that will be with the collector's edition

Edit:

extra

This was a pretty good video on VGM tracks that have inspired by mainstream all the way up to music that just copypastaed....Some of the stuff we already know about including the infamous Kenji Yamamoto

Edited by Sonichuman

Ghost of Sushi needs to make its way to PC some day.  Game looks sick.

No, Super Mario Bros. is a platformer...

p.s.  your joke was bad

Edit - I think its kind of silly how if you say anything negative about the new Zelda game you get the "you havent even finished the game yet" response or something worse.  But if you say its game of the year or something along those lines nobody says "but you havent even finished the game yet.".

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

No, Super Mario Bros. is a platformer...

Hard Drive is a satire website. 

And I only said what I said to PurBeast cuz he said he only played 12 hours so i know he's barely seen any of the new content. I've been playing for over 30 and I haven't seen half of it myself. 

Edited by RSG3

Hmmmmmmm..... I feel like movie I would most want to see from them out of the stuff they own...would be either Shinobi or Afterburner.  Streets of Rage is already happening from last we heard.  Afterburner would be pretty simple to do.   Just look at what Top Gun Maverick did and then do something close to that with your own spin.  Shinobi probably has the most potential to be something amazing if done right.

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

I also felt this way about Ragnarok.  I saw all these familiar places and was like WTF this the same map as the first game.  And the game still owned and is one of the best games.

Retreaded world maps or parts of world maps in sequels is only a bad thing if it’s clearly done in a bad way/not optimized/flat out lazy way. It’s just reusing assets to a different degree. I don’t see anything wrong with that as long as it’s done well. 

As much as I dislike BotW and would likely dislike TotK as well I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about them reusing the BotW map due to how they implement the map and use it to build on top of what they’re doing in TotK. 

Edited by iStu X
8 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Hmmmmmmm..... I feel like movie I would most want to see from them out of the stuff they own...would be either Shinobi or Afterburner.  Streets of Rage is already happening from last we heard.  Afterburner would be pretty simple to do.   Just look at what Top Gun Maverick did and then do something close to that with your own spin.  Shinobi probably has the most potential to be something amazing if done right.

Yakuza/Like a Dragon is right there. Though honestly that would likely be handled better as a limited series 

6 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Yakuza/Like a Dragon is right there. Though honestly that would likely be handled better as a limited series 

I thought about Yakuza and the thing that couldn't stop thinking about is would anyone be able to translate the serious and goofy vibe those games have to the big screen without throwing normies off? 

I saw a rumor come over my screen that Amazon may have goofed and revealed 2 guest fighter for MK and I didn't really pay much attention to it...until this tweet came across my feed.

Does it necessarily mean anything?  No it doesn't...but it's just really coincidental that this was put up considering that Homelander was one of the characters leaked.

Edited by Sonichuman

Gamestop is changing their Gamestop rewards....

I...don't know what they're doing here.  They're raising the price of the membership to $25.  I don't know why they think expiring people's points that they earned if they don't use them in 12 months from when they were added or instantly expiring peoples points if they don't renew the card to try to bully them into renewing is going to go over well with people.