Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Finally built my PC. It's nice to have a desktop again. I did have a near heart attack when I posted and all was good. I go to update the BIOS and the system crashes. I get the dread 00 error which means either the motherboard or CPU has a fatal error or is dead. Thankfully, I figured that the BIOS was likely corrupted when the system crash mid update. I was able to flaskback the BIOS and it brought it back to life. I was seriously sweating bullets for awhile. Now, I can see how this thing can handle some games.

Before the Diablo 4 "server slam" thing ended, I got around to making a druid and leveled up to at least level 10 or 11... since the Necro got toned way down, I was having fun as the druid in comparison, focusing on the werebear form; with "Overpower" effect from a slam attack it does; the damage was amazing even early on....at least compared to what damage I was getting as the Necromancer.

I *might* actually get this at least at a reduced price; part of the fun is that I know an old friend is getting back into Diablo again after a long time away

some random shit---I tried playing an old Midway Arcade collection that was originally on 360 (maybe the original Xbox? I forgot)... mainly for some achievement hunting along with a dose of nostalgia---- but the achievements are apparently busted in addition to being pretty damn difficult anyway; there's some I did a few times in Defender and Defender II (*save at least 3 humans in Score Attack mode) but didn't get anything.

...I also got some more quality time with Streets of Rage 4 this weekend; at this point I've gone thru the game with everyone of the main cast (getting those "All stages cleared with ___" achievements) except Blaze....also I found that Hard difficulty Arcade mode actually isn't that tough.  

10 hours ago, JGreen said:

Finally built my PC. It's nice to have a desktop again. I did have a near heart attack when I posted and all was good. I go to update the BIOS and the system crashes. I get the dread 00 error which means either the motherboard or CPU has a fatal error or is dead. Thankfully, I figured that the BIOS was likely corrupted when the system crash mid update. I was able to flaskback the BIOS and it brought it back to life. I was seriously sweating bullets for awhile. Now, I can see how this thing can handle some games.

...aaaaand this is why I'm a console player

Interview with Amazon Games CEO, wants Lord of the Rings MMO to be the biggest one out there

https://www.ign.com/articles/interview-amazon-games-ceo-christoph-hartmann

Good luck with that

EU has approved M$'s ActiBlizz deal

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-activision-blizzard-deal-approved-by-european-commission

Super Mario Bros movie will be available digitally tomorrow

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-super-mario-bros-movie-comes-to-digital-platforms-tomorrow

vids

Spoiler

extra

At a friend's urging, I finally started FINAL FANTASY II: The Zodiac Age. I picked it up for Switch with some of the cash I got for unemployment back in 2020. I've heard the soundtrack but seeing it matched with the visual style really helps the game stick out in my mind more.  I'm super surprised to see 3 different versions of the soundtrack. Since FFXII was originally a PS2, could the system not handle Hitoshi Sakimoto going ham or something?

4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

At a friend's urging, I finally started FINAL FANTASY II: The Zodiac Age. I picked it up for Switch with some of the cash I got for unemployment back in 2020. I've heard the soundtrack but seeing it matched with the visual style really helps the game stick out in my mind more.  I'm super surprised to see 3 different versions of the soundtrack. Since FFXII was originally a PS2, could the system not handle Hitoshi Sakimoto going ham or something?

Disc space. All audio on The PS2 version of XII is super compressed to get it to fit on the disc so all the music, and voice lines have a hollow and tin-ish sound to them, like they where recorded in a big room that couldn't contain the sound. 

It's why the VO audio work still sounds bad in the The Zodiac Age. All they have is the original recordings which where compressed to hell and back for size. 

Audio is one of the biggest file types for games, it takes up large amounts of space if you wish to maintain the audio quality. 

Edited by RSG3

Here is an overview of the game, via WayForward:

Originally released in 2002 on Game Boy Color, Shantae is the acclaimed nonlinear action adventure platformer that introduced the world to the eponymous hair-whipping, hip-shaking, shape-shifting Half-Genie heroine. Frequently cited as one of the most impressive handheld titles of its era, the game puts players to the test as Shantae seeks out four elemental stones across Sequin Land in order to stop the nefarious lady pirate, Risky Boots. During her quest, Shantae battles fiendish enemies, explores treacherous labyrinths, gains amazing new abilities, conquers mini-games, and encounters allies such as Rottytops, Sky, and Bolo. Alongside the standard GBC mode, this edition also includes the bonus Game Boy Advance functionality of the vintage cartridge (which adds an extra transformation and an alternative color palette).

With this release, the entire Shantae series (Shantae, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge – Director’s Cut, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition, and Shantae and the Seven Sirens; each sold separately) will be available on PlayStation systems for the very first time. The full Shantae series—including the original Shantae—is also currently available digitally on Switch.

Key Features

• Shantae‘s acclaimed original 8-bit adventure—now on PlayStation systems.
  • Use dance magic to transform into a monkey, an elephant, a spider, and more.
  • Travel across Sequin Land, from forests and deserts to swamps and frigid peaks.
  • Explore challenging labyrinths where devious bosses await.
  • Buy a variety of items and upgrades to gain new abilities.
  • Environments change from day to night.
  • Discover secret passages! Find hidden Warp Squids and fireflies.
  • Select between standard Game Boy Color mode or Game Boy Advance-enhanced mode, featuring a bonus Tinkerbat transformation.
  • Updated with save states, multiple display options, control improvements, and a mini art gallery.

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Disc space. All audio on The PS2 version of XII is super compressed to get it to fit on the disc so all the music, and voice lines have a hollow and tin-ish sound to them, like they where recorded in a big room that couldn't contain the sound. 

It's why the VO audio work still sounds bad in the The Zodiac Age. All they have is the original recordings which where compressed to hell and back for size. 

Audio is one of the biggest file types for games, it takes up large amounts of space if you wish to maintain the audio quality. 

Word.

It is why at the end of the lifetime of the PS2, we had a lot of games with some really nasty sound compression to get them fit on a single dvd.

Even from games you would never thought would have this kind of issue, like fg, we saw this happening.

image.png

https://gamerant.com/overwatch-2-pve-campaign-co-op-mode-canceled-why/

Overwatch 2 PvE Campaign Mode is Basically Canceled

Published 3 hours ago

Blizzard shares some devastating news about the planned Overwatch 2 PvE campaign co-op mode that was announced a few years ago.

Spoiler

Blizzard has effectively canceled the Overwatch 2 campaign co-op PvE mode that was first shown at BlizzCon in 2019. When Overwatch 2 was first revealed to the masses, one of the main selling points of the game was its campaign co-op mode. Very little was shown of the game mode since its initial reveal, and then Overwatch 2 launched in early access with a strict focus on PvP, which understandably made fans very worried about the future of the campaign mode.

Overwatch 2's PvE campaign mode, aka Hero Mode, seemed incredibly ambitious with character-specific progression systems and story missions that would give the hero shooter some much-needed in-game lore and story developments. When it was announced that Overwatch 2 was going to be a free-to-play game, Blizzard indicated that the story mode content would be coming at a later date, but now it's been made clear that it's not coming at all.

Speaking to GameSpot, Overwatch 2 game director Aaron Keller confirmed that the PvE campaign co-op mode as it was shown at BlizzCon 2019 is no longer in development for the game. "So we are definitely not doing the Hero mode and the talents and the power progression system." That doesn't mean that PvE story missions aren't coming to Overwatch 2, but it's clear that they will be nowhere near the scope that was initially promised. "So the real focus is on the story missions and that experience as opposed to the more open-ended Hero Mode and that stuff."

This sad news was accompanied by the reveal of the new Overwatch 2 roadmap. The roadmap claims that Overwatch 2 story missions are coming as part of Season 6, with the accompanying image showing Lucio, Tracer, Reinhardt, Brigitte, and Mei. Season 6 will apparently also include the debut of a new Support hero, but further details on all this will have to wait until a later date.

In the more immediate future, Overwatch 2 is still in the midst of Season 4, while Season 5 will bring back the On Fire feature and introduce a new limited-time event called Questwatch. Overwatch 2 Season 5 will also see the return of the annual Summer Games event, but details on exactly what that will entail have yet to be announced. But while there definitely seems to be a lot coming to Overwatch 2 for fans to get excited about, there's no denying that many are going to be upset that the PvE campaign co-op mode shown at BlizzCon 2019 has been canned.

Overwatch 2 is out now in early access for PC, PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Bro, right? Like what a fucking disaster this franchise has become. Started off on such a strong foot and quickly tumbled down the hill. 

It came full circle.

OW came from the failure to make n MMO, Titan.

It became successful against all odds, then, I assume that Activision + all the actually talented people leaving happened and here we are now, failing once again.

At least they managed to be able to charge 20 bucks for a skin, so not everything was lost 🤣

BTW

The3 few PVE events players will be getting will be behind the battle pass, lol

Edited by Hecatom

Sonic Prime season 2 coming July 13th

https://www.ign.com/articles/sonic-prime-season-2-netflix-july-release-date

LoZ TotK has sold 10 mill in 3 days

https://www.ign.com/articles/tears-of-the-kingdom-sells-10-million-copies-in-3-days

It has instantly become the fastest

Also playstation showcase announced for next week

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-announces-playstation-showcase-for-next-week

Edited by Sonichuman