Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

So I'm coming on an enemy camp in TOTK. I'm about to take out that one MF that always snitches and lets his buddies know you're there. Since it is raining, I figure I'll make shock arrows for a more nasty hit. That's when the weather came in clutch and said "I GOTCHU, HOMIE!" BAM! ZAP! Lightning struck and we got ourselves a dead snitch and I'm saving on materials. 

I'm playing through Boltgun right now and it's pretty good but it has some issues. Some of the arenas are just dreadful and honestly become a fucking chore especially when the game spawns in a "Lord of Change" which has an instant line of sight attack with no wind up that deals heavy damage over time, the amount of times I've gone from say 150/100 to 13/0 on health/armour in a split second because of a poorly tested enemy and wank level design is quite infuriating. And this coming from someone who loves and plays Blood which has probably one of the quickest reacting Shotgunner enemies in any fucking shooter that's not complete jank.

I dunno it's really good in places, the combat is mostly awesome but there's been such a frustration factor for me in places and the level design is bad. Like I get it there's not too much you can go to in terms of 40K visual style especially if you trying to sell that dark gothic/mechanical style and it's not like you can go the build trilogy route and do cartoon levels based on real places because obviously 40K doesn't really reflect normal reality. Though an Emperor Burger level would be awesome.

I've spent so much time running in circles because everything looks the fucking same, there's sometimes a little bit of visual feedback to wrangle you to your destination, be that coloured lighting or some decoration, or even the tried and true Romero thing of showing a player an object they want that's just out of reach and now you have to find your way to it but most of the time no, it's an arena connected to an M.C Escher painting that leads to an arena.

If there's one thing shooter devs could leave behind from DOOM Eternal in their inspiration is its bad level design.

Musics good though.

Edited by Abbachio

Wait DOOM 2016 has great level design. I'll give it to you Eternals sucks tho because it fucking does. So antithetical to Doom it made me wonder if the game was even made by the same guys. 

But I'm one of the few who thinks Eternal was a step back over all from 2016. It was dope but I wasn't as enamored with it as everyone else was. 

Edited by RSG3
8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Wait DOOM 2016 has great level design. I'll give it to you Eternals sucks tho because it fucking does. So antithetical to Doom it made me wonder if the game was even made by the same guys. 

But I'm one of the few who thinks Eternal was a step back over all from 2016. It was dope but I wasn't as enamored with it as everyone else was. 

Yeah you're right I actually don't know why I lumped 2016 in there tbh, think I was on auto pilot. But yeah I loved Doom Eternal when it came out but then I played Dusk a week after and Dusk, along with other retro styled shooters, have stuck with me way more than Eternal has or will. Eternal has dope combat, despite not being Doom to me, but everything else in that game sucks generally.

4 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

Yeah you're right I actually don't know why I lumped 2016 in there tbh, think I was on auto pilot. But yeah I loved Doom Eternal when it came out but then I played Dusk a week after and Dusk, along with other retro styled shooters, have stuck with me way more than Eternal has or will. Eternal has dope combat, despite not being Doom to me, but everything else in that game sucks generally.

Just...why is there so much fucking platforming? The mantling and jumping in 2016 was great for the over all level design but no one likes the Tower Map, yet iD doubled down on the Tower Map and made it like 40% of the game lol. How the fuck are there swimming sections in a DOOM game? 

I don't like the changes to ammo but was able to get over it quick enough, but the level design really gets under my skin. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Just...why is there so much fucking platforming? The mantling and jumping in 2016 was great for the over all level design but no one likes the Tower Map, yet iD doubled down on the Tower Map and made it like 40% of the game lol. How the fuck are there swimming sections in a DOOM game? 

I don't like the changes to ammo but was able to get over it quick enough, but the level design really gets under my skin. 

Don't forget the pointless as fuck pools of slime sections!

I didn't really mind the ammo changes but considering the ties with the overall mechanics, like we both said the combat is awesome but I dunno you have to have more than arenas tied together with corridors and unwanted platforming/swimming/slime sections. 

It also fucking sucks that you barely see certain enemy types outside of slayer gates, like I don't know if you'd actually see any Barons of Hell, or whatever they got renamed, outside of the last area without the slayer gates? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I did like Marauders even though they were a pretty controversial enemy type at the time. Man if it had slightly more traditional level design they could've done a tribute to the Plutonia level Hunted but with Marauders instead of Archviles, I mean rather a maze you could still go with going up a Skyscraper/Rooftops to get to the Icon of Sin or whatever but a mini key hunt with a couple of Marauders chasing you down would've been cool and tense...or I've become a bit Stockholmed with Plutonia and that idea is shit lol.

5 minutes ago, J-ride said:

Viewtiful Joe is still 🔥 after all of these years.

I wish I liked Wonderful 101 nearly as much. 

2 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

Don't forget the pointless as fuck pools of slime sections!

Heh yea I'd kinda forgotten. 

3 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

I didn't really mind the ammo changes but considering the ties with the overall mechanics, like we both said the combat is awesome but I dunno you have to have more than arenas tied together with corridors and unwanted platforming/swimming/slime sections. 

Was more that by the end of the game I was sick and tired of being g starved for ammo at all times and I was sick and fucking tired of the chainsaw. They took a tool that was o much fun to use and made it this thi g yoy use 50 times a fucking fight to the point t it get  fucking old, I was so bored of seeing those chainsaw animations by the time I was done. They did with the Chainsaw what everyone was scared they where going to do with the Brutal Kills in 2016. 

5 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

I did like Marauders even though they were a pretty controversial enemy type at the time.

Yea I fucking hate this guy. He sucks lol. He breaks every rule in the game in order to be difficult and I think that's super ass design lol.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I wish I liked Wonderful 101 nearly as much. 

If The Wonderful 101 played more like Viewtiful Joe or even a 3D plane approximation stylish action platformer, the game would have been better received.

I appreciate the ambition and trying to use it's original platform's (Wii U) but just like Star Fox Zero it made for a less viable title.

2 hours ago, Wellman said:

If The Wonderful 101 played more like Viewtiful Joe or even a 3D plane approximation stylish action platformer, the game would have been better received.

I appreciate the ambition and trying to use it's original platform's (Wii U) but just like Star Fox Zero it made for a less viable title.

I honestly think the games really issue isn't the controls or gamepad or anything like that, it's the games awful at communicating with the player and telling them what they want them to be doing at any given time. It's really fun when everything clicks right but far too often I'm trying to figure out what the game wants from me. 

The games cool and I do like it but I think it has some fundamental flaws that knock down a peg or two unfortunately. 

Edited by RSG3
On 5/27/2023 at 10:28 PM, Sonichuman said:

Why would they bother making an emulator for Steam, and why does it matter that it got blocked when the PC native version still exists? 

41 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Why would they bother making an emulator for Steam, and why does it matter that it got blocked when the PC native version still exists? 

My only guess is that Valve didn't look too hard into it when when the devs for Dolphin put forth whatever they needed to to be officially put on Steam.  Maybe they wanted to do this to make it easier for Steam Deck users?  I'm not sure why to be honest as I can only speculate especially because IIRC there was a Steam deck trailer that had Yuzu on it briefly before Valve updated the trailer and removed it.

Interesting article on Mega Man 7.

I had completely forgotten that when MM7 was released, it clashed with Mega Man X, which gave the franchise a much needed shot in the arm. MM7 got some flack due to the new stuff it brought to the franchise. Granted more than enough time has passed for those original opinions to shift, 7 still gets some heat for the larger sprites, not all 8 robot masters being selectable from the jump and Wily Capsule 7 can indeed EAD. After that fight, I was 100% behind Rock putting a Charge Shot through Wily's skull and or throat.

Edited by RegH81

Megaman considering murdering Wily was probably a bit too dark for the classic series in guessing so they kinda dropped the thread. Personally, i think they could challenge fans more with darker themes without making it edgy if they actually try

I'd imagine the main reason they won't say what happened to the original cast once the X series kicked off  cuz their fates might have been grim and clashed with itself (The practical reason is if they do show what happened, they cant milk the original series anymore lol)