Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Speaking of not mechanically sound, I started playing Sekiro, and the game is amazing, but From's shitty camera strikes again. It blows my mind that we're this far along in terms of game design and yet the same camera issues they were present on the N64 still exist today.

It also kind of made me think about how games these days are either hand holdingly easy or lean into being pretty difficult. Maybe it's just the games I play, but a lot of games I rarely have much difficult getting through them or they're like Sekiro where I'm not sure I'll actually be able to finish them before my patience runs out (I'll finish Sekiro, but this Lady Butterfly bitch is really grinding me down at the moment, hence me bitching about the bad camera.) Are there any games that are more moderate difficulty that don't hold your hand but also don't try to cornhole you from the jump?

Edited by DoctaMario
Just now, DoctaMario said:

I think it's a prejudice against 3d that longtime fans have in part, but I don't know that it was the most mechanically sound game either. I played arcade mode at Mikado when I was in Japan and the game looks great. I'd be interested in giving it a go but I think it only came out on 360 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, is only on the 360, so I never had the chance to try it.

And to add insult to injury, the game is not backwards compatible on the Xbox One or the Serie S/X, also the arcade dump seems to be a difficult thing to make work on PC without damaging your PC if you do it wrong, at least the last time I checked.

Also, the emulation at the time was bad.

But maybe nowdays is no longer a problem, I have not checked.

3 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I asked about Battle Fantasia on discord but no one knew anything about it.  Hekatom didnt say nothing...he probably never even noticed since his weird ass only hangs out in the memes channels posting his creepy memes.

Anyhow, game always looked dope to me.  Some guys in sacramento played it at their gatherings and that's the only time I ever seen anyone playing it. 

Yeah, you are right, I only hangout on the meme channel and the nsfw channel when posting cosplayers, so didn't notice your post.

I only go to general when I am mentioned.

The game is really good, but it can be deceptively seen as simple.

Most of the combo potential and where the game shines comes from the Heat Up system, which is akin to the Dark Gifts from Dark Stalkers.

To this day, I think that BF is what SFV wanted to be with its VTriggers.

Since both mechanics are very similar in concept, but the Heat Up is way better in execution, since is not relegated to be only a comeback mechanic.

No joke, is amusing how BF manages to be a better SF game than SF4 and SFV, since it does better what those 2 games tried to do with their systems. There are a lot of parallels between the games.

Also, the parries are better implemented than SF3, since for starters, they have a whiff animation.

They also serve to open up opponents.

A good read can be very devastating if you have the resources and have your punsishers down.

Edited by Hecatom
9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I think it's a prejudice against 3d that longtime fans have in part, but I don't know that it was the most mechanically sound game either. I played arcade mode at Mikado when I was in Japan and the game looks great. I'd be interested in giving it a go but I think it only came out on 360 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I forgot to add, to this day, I would like for SNK to acknowledge the game and add at least one of the newcomers to Samsho (mostly the waifus, lol, Suzuhime and/or Angelica)

I remember seeing Battle Fantasia in a Best Buy back then when the game was new... but of course I was already hooked on other games at the time, and becoming less interested in that genre anyway as the years went on.  

I just saw this pop up ---- a new Vampire the Masquerade game....BUT they put it on MetaQuest for some reason?!

typical "smh" gif would go here.  Bring it to a real system and I may have been interested.

Oh---so it is coming to the PSVR2 as well though...?

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/06/vampire-the-masquerade-justice-announced-for-ps-vr2-quest-2-and-quest-3 

perhaps something for me to consider then...still it only looks "so-so" though....yeah I realize the tech isn't quite there for VR to look as good as a "normal" game.... 

....sadly I get the feeling this isn't going to be as open-ended as I would prefer---like you're probably a particular character from a certain clan or one of those random "Catiff" ones that have no clan connection, which would be a shame. 

They did show an interesting array of powers for the character though... something involving Abyss/Oblivion...and the gematsu article mentioned "cloak of shadows" and cauldron of blood)

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Speaking of not mechanically sound, I started playing Sekiro, and the game is amazing, but From's shitty camera strikes again. It blows my mind that we're this far along in terms of game design and yet the same camera issues they were present on the N64 still exist today.

It also kind of made me think about how games these days are either hand holdingly easy or lean into being pretty difficult. Maybe it's just the games I play, but a lot of games I rarely have much difficult getting through them or they're like Sekiro where I'm not sure I'll actually be able to finish them before my patience runs out (I'll finish Sekiro, but this Lady Butterfly bitch is really grinding me down at the moment, hence me bitching about the bad camera.) Are there any games that are more moderate difficulty that don't hold your hand but also don't try to cornhole you from the jump?

Lol that boss is designed specifically to mess with your visual. You know the reason From hasn't "fixed" the camera is because they don't think there is anything wrong with it. "Can't fix what isn't broken."

6 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It's not new at this point, but did you try Furi? Tough game, but you're not a glass cannon (unlike From's games) in it either. 

I haven't been keeping up with SF6 news or vids at all, but I finally watched a review last night and I am beyond hype. The drive system sounds like the coolest system in SF yet. Gonna try out a few matches tonight at 10 my time when the game unlocks. I got it digital because I figure it's a game I'll be jumping in and out of and don't feel like futzing with the disc.

Oh what a surprise, people are having trouble getting to play Diablo 4 on this "early access" day.  They paid the extra money for absolutely nothing, as I expected.  I see Cyael is live-streaming now and can't get in at the moment

See, if they still made games the normal way where offline functionality is the goddamn default setup, this kind of thing would not be such an issue.  People would just be like "well....eh, guess I'll just do story-mode and level my character offline then until they sort out the server issues."  In the inevitable future of "online-only" everything... the consumer no longer has that option.

Console D3?  heh, I could play that right now regardless of what's going on with their servers or my connection....(and anywhere thanks to Switch's portability factor)

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Lol that boss is designed specifically to mess with your visual. You know the reason From hasn't "fixed" the camera is because they don't think there is anything wrong with it. "Can't fix what isn't broke

Lol you're probably right 😂

I'm actually doing concurrent runs of the game, one on PS4 and one on PS5 and it was a LOT worse on the PS4 to the point where I actually had to take the lock on off her and wait until she landed because I'd just lose her after the jump. That fight was a nightmare on the PS4. I wound up beating her in both runs though and it was actually good parry practice because the boss after her was a breeze in comparison. This game has incredibly tight and well done design so far. 

45 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Lol you're probably right 😂

I'm actually doing concurrent runs of the game, one on PS4 and one on PS5 and it was a LOT worse on the PS4 to the point where I actually had to take the lock on off her and wait until she landed because I'd just lose her after the jump. That fight was a nightmare on the PS4. I wound up beating her in both runs though and it was actually good parry practice because the boss after her was a breeze in comparison. This game has incredibly tight and well done design so far. 

I never noticed a real difference between hardware but I didn't play them concurrently like that. 

Yea I think it's Miyazakis tightest experience so far. It's very well thought out over all. 

Fired up Splatoon 3 to try out the new weapons for Sizzle Season. S-Blast '92 could be a hated weapon in the right hands. I'm more surprised it took 3 games for Nintendo to implement the Super Scope 6 into Splatoon.  

Had so many Ls in Turf War this evening. One player named cutefemboy was using the new variation of the Splatana Wiper and they were really good with the weapon. Like, inhuman skill levels of good. If I wasn't getting splatted by the Splatana, I was getting hit by the player's Tenta Missile spam. Every time I turned around, it was raining Tenta Missiles. That MF won SO many games it was infuriating. The few times I had the player on my team? We lost. I'm guessing my teammates were getting tired of that player's Tenta Missiles and Splatana play as well because as the games went on, I would frequently see cutefemboy with an X over his weapon. I especially felt really freaking good whenever I took that player out. The last Turf War match I played, we were VIOLATING cutefemboy and their whole crew. Those clowns were getting cooked so bad on Hammerhead Bridge. We almost had them backed into their base. Anytime it looked like they were gonna get through, me and my team were on them like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm. Less than 30 seconds left in the game and we are continuing to clap those cheeks. And then my old friend "The connection is unstable" showed up. 😠 That was the most convenient timing for "The connection is unstable" I have EVER seen. Like, it happens when we are DESTROYING the other team with a player that has been wrecking us game after game? Nah, son. I'm guessing cutefemboy and his team musta been like "That them, officer, the ones that have been committing devious and nefarious acts against us!" I was SO salty after that BS that I stopped playing for the night. Those punks couldn't even get their very much deserved L properly. Outta here with that ish. 

Figured you'd guys would like this one. Not in my possession anymore. I sold it on ebay a few months ago for 1k. It was mint. Sealed. Graded version averaged 4500.00 but nobody had time for all of that lol. Funny story is I got it for free. It pays to be a comic nerd and not to be afraid to show it. So far out of the haul of stuff I got at that time I've made a total of 1500.00 and it cost me a skateboard.

346842667_1062376078073394_2939797674259

346625756_1406920890097739_5755519345060

346640413_630484202061695_18646278326733

346631935_601828425377535_48068636750727

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

So who is everyone going to main? I want to try Kimberly out. She looks bad ass! I'll probably play everyone a little and see who sticks since Ballrag isn't in it.

Juri! Cammy possible second.

VGM Fridays!!!   It's Street Fighter 6 release day and the end of another month this week.  Silent Hill 3 (20th), Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (20th) , and Radiant Silvergun (arcade 25th) had anniversaries last month.  I'm unfamiliar with Silent Hill 3's and Radiant Silvergun's music so my first post will focus on  Street Fighter and Aria of Sorrow.

Spoiler

Devs Abandon KOTOR 2 Restoration DLC On Switch, Apologize With Free Games

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 Switch port won’t get its promised final cut of the incomplete classic

The games impacted players can choose from include the following list of other Star Wars ports Aspyr has worked on:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC)
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Republic Commando (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Episode I Racer (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight Academy (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast (Switch)

https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1664784147867480070