Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

21 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Street Fighter 4 was great and good for the scene when it first came out.  Now most people hate it.  Street Fighter 5 was great and good for the scene when it came out.  Now most people hate it.  How much you wanna bet the same thing happens with SF6? 

SF4 was a bad game though, if it didn't have "Street Fighter" on the cover I bet most people would have noped out of that after the first month. Can't speak to SF5, but people are willing to play all manner of garbage because of what it says on the cover that they would drop week one of it said otherwise.

I dont think you remember sf4 how it was when it released, just how you, and most everyone else, grew to hate it.  It didn't take me long to hate the game.  Think I stopped playing not long after the first big update.

P.S.  I bet I end up with the game in my library in 3 to 5 years though.  I got 4 and 5 free and I bet I'll end up getting 6 free at some point.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

SF6 is the first sf game with 3d graphics to look good to me.

I'm in the minority, but I didn't care for either 4 or 5.

4's Ultra and  5 V  system  either rewarding you for getting hit didn't sit right with me.

5's online was atrocious at launch.; I tried to play Shadow Ace and couldn't set up the match for 5 hours.

4 was a better product than 5 though.

5's music from what I heard was good and even though I never played them I was intrigued by some of the new characters.

I'm kind of surprised Capcom didn't put out one final iteration of 5 with the last season of characters as a last ditch cash grab.

41 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I dont think you remember sf4 how it was when it released, just how you, and most everyone else, grew to hate it.  It didn't take me long to hate the game.  Think I stopped playing not long after the first big update.

P.S.  I bet I end up with the game in my library in 3 to 5 years though.  I got 4 and 5 free and I bet I'll end up getting 6 free at some point.

Street Fighter IV is the only Street Fighter game I refuse to go back to. I don't like the gameplay and it's not aesthetically appealing. You want to play some one of the SF2, SFA, or SF3 games, I'm down. SF4, only if you pay me...maybe. 

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

For me was the post SSF4 updates that made me stop playing the game.

During the SF4 days and specially during the SSF4 games it was very easy for me to have over 100 matches on a session on my locals or with my brother, I also played other games at the time, but SF4 was one the main games, at least on a casual/enthusiast level.

What killed the game for me was the balance philosophy that capcom used to do the patches.

Just kill all the fun and make the game sterile.

But Funny enough, I still like seeing high level play.

Which is a heavy contrast of SFV.

I still do like playing it casually, but outside certain matches, the game is fucking boring to watch for me.

Meanwhile my brother just left SF behind altogether, after the post SSF4 games he never came back, and SF5 definitively never pick his interest. And for the looks of it, it is the same with SF6.

Now regarding playing online, never like played online on SF4, since it was trash.

At that time, the games that offered better options on the ps3 were mostly the ASW games, for me at least.

I never had issues playing with my friends on the game while playing on SF4 was atrocious.

SFV is a hit or miss.

It is funny how I can play with friends in japan or usa on games with a input delay netcode without issues while playing SFV with a friend on another city in my country is a nightmare a lot of times, lol.

Also, they never fixed the lag cycle, where the input lag keeps increasing at intervals and then resets

Even SF30th has the same issue, so is not a matter of UE4, but something they do with their code.

People have theorized that maybe is related to some memory leak, but so far, it is still there, no matter the platform

Edited by Hecatom
16 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

SF6 is the first sf game with 3d graphics to look good to me.

I'm in the minority, but I didn't care for either 4 or 5.

4's Ultra and  5 V  system  either rewarding you for getting hit didn't sit right with me.

5's online was atrocious at launch.; I tried to play Shadow Ace and couldn't set up the match for 5 hours.

4 was a better product than 5 though.

5's music from what I heard was good and even though I never played them I was intrigued by some of the new characters.

I'm kind of surprised Capcom didn't put out one final iteration of 5 with the last season of characters as a last ditch cash grab.

I actually liked some of the 3d models of SFV.

The problem is that is really inconsistent, so you can have good models like Menat, Zeku, etc, then have shit like Ken, Abigail, etc.

Add that the colors are so washed up and make the game look meeeehhh.

I don't know if any of you have seen anything to do with the DOOM map MyHouse.wad, there's been a few vids on youtube but it could just be my algorithm but anyway, I implore anyone who wants to experience something... (WORD TO DESCRIBE MyHouse.wad) to honestly try it. I don't want to give anything away but let's just say that a mod for a 30 year old game gave me fucking chills, in fact I've lost count how many feelings and moods this mod has, well, made me feel. It's so fucking clever in terms of what it does as a DOOM wad but it's also so much more.

If there's any recommendation you ever take from this dipshit it's to install GZDoom and download the MyHouse.wad/pk3 and just play it. Don't google or look up youtube stuff, just give it a go.  And hey if you beat it and think "Oh? That's it?" Play it again and just look around for a bit. 

If you are curious to try it and need any help just @ me or some shit. It does require a DOOM2 wad file too, Doom II - Hell on Earth (v1.9) to be exact, but you should be able to find it with a quick google or maybe at some kind of archive... of the internet. 

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

"MyHouse

Excited to finally release this tribute map. Last August I lost a good childhood friend of mine and took it pretty hard. When I was visiting my hometown for his funeral, I connected with his parents who shared with me some of his old belongings. Among them was a copy of an old map of his backed up on a 3.5” floppy from high school. Thomas and I were into amateur Doom mapping in the early 00s but I had never seen this map of his prior to uncovering it on one of the old floppy discs. As a way of paying tribute to him and all the great memories we had together, I took the plunge and installed Doom Builder in order to polish up his map and add a few modern amenities just for convenience sake.

I haven’t touched an editor in over 15 years so it was quite a surprise to find out how easy mapping has become. I may have gotten a little carried away with these new UDMF features and, as such, the map is designed for GZDoom. From the text file:

Doom 2 - GZDoom, hardware renderer

1 map: Not much of a challenge and roughly 10 minutes of play time. All difficulty settings implemented.

Jumping & crouching disabled, freelook is fine

Lots of Doomcute!

Making maps of your house was all the rage back-in-the-day, but I feel like this is a pretty adorable and detailed tribute to my friend and a great way to share something of him with a community we loved. Miss you, Tom."

4 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I dont play fighting games anymore.  Last ones I played was SFIV and BlazeBlue or whatever its called.  I dont care for online stuff and there is no where to play local anywhere near me.  Also I just cant keep up anymore, lots of kids out there that would crush my spirit.

I didn't stop with 4, but I haven't really played them much since 5. I was looking forward to really getting into 5 early, but the online- which I don't normally even enjoy due to lag, the hassles of waiting around for people, and the fact that you're usually playing against people who play constantly- just wouldn't work for me initially. Turned out the game didn't like my router, but by the time I figured that out, I had lost interest. Had a group of friends I used to play them with in person, but we've since moved all over the place- trying to play with them online these days involves trying to line up schedules, waiting around endlessly, everyone having to have the same revision of the game, there inevitably being friends of friends in the group that don't have whatever game, etc, etc. And in the very rare instance I do get to play with one of those friends, they're way out of practice and get frustrated quickly. I do miss the days of playing FG's with my friends in person for hours on end as a kid or in my early 20's. 

Single player games are just way more enjoyable for me to jump in and out of for as long or as little as I have time for. 

21 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I didn't start playing it until it had been out for a bit but it had the advantage of being the first fighting game with online (that I know of anyway) and being the first SF game in awhile. Mechanically it was bad from the start but only got worse as the years went on.

Just now, DoctaMario said:

I didn't start playing it until it had been out for a bit but it had the advantage of being the first fighting game with online (that I know of anyway) and being the first SF game in awhile. Mechanically it was bad from the start but only got worse as the years went on.

Poor BattleFantasia.

No one remembers it 🥲

(It even came out before SF4 on consoles and was the game that inspired capcom to make sf4 to begin with)

A better SF game than SF4, but an online as atrocious as SF4, lol

Edited by Hecatom
8 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Mechanically it was bad from the start but only got worse as the years went on.

But nobody cared and most actually liked it at first.  Else they wouldn't have been saying the shit they said.  I wasn't saying that the game was actually good and I think thats what you're thinking.  That's just what people said back then.

Anyhow...

spacer.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164940/Trepang2/

Just now, iStu X said:

One of my biggest issues with SFIV was it basically became 2D Virtua Fighter. I don’t want every characters optimal BNB or CH Combo’s to be a string of 1-frame links and cancels. Shit was dumb. 

@HecatomLOVED battle fantasia. I mained Marco. 

I still play it with some friends at least once a year (locally of course, since the online is baaaaaaaaad)

I mained Deathbringer.

For what I know, the steam version is the lastest version of the game, in terms of balance it seems it didn't change much if at all when compared to the ps3 version, but it has some enhancements, like more dynamic camera angles when doing supers, some tweaks to the graphics, etc.

I should buy it there, perhaps there is a discord scene using Parsec

https://store.steampowered.com/app/356910/Battle_Fantasia_Revised_Edition/

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, Hecatom said:

I still play it with some friends at least once a year (locally of course, since the online is baaaaaaaaad)

I mained Deathbringer.

For what I know, the steam version is the lastest version of the game, in terms of balance it seems it didn't change much if at all when compared to the ps3 version, but it has some enhancements, like more dynamic camera angles when doing supers, some tweaks to the graphics, etc.

I should buy it there, perhaps there is a discord scene.

I wouldn't say that no one cared, but mostly that it was the bigger game, and some people would rather play a fg they don't like because it has more people playing it, than play a game they like even if the player base is smaller.

In my case, once SF4 didn't offer something I liked I moved on, at that time, my main games were BB, P4A, and MK9, with MVC3 as a side game.

5 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

But nobody cared and most actually liked it at first.  Else they wouldn't have been saying the shit they said.  I wasn't saying that the game was actually good and I think thats what you're thinking.  That's just what people said back then.

Anyhow...

spacer.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164940/Trepang2/

That's how every fighting game is now. Everyone's hyped to the moon upon release until they figure out how it works and then they drop it, sometimes because there's other stuff to play, because they don't like being bad at something and go back to their main game, or because the game rewards stupid stuff. Imo SF4 was in the last category.

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Poor BattleFantasia.

No one remembers it 🥲

(It even came out before SF4 on consoles and was the game that inspired capcom to make sf4 to begin with)

A better SF game than SF4, but an online as atrocious as SF4, lol

I always was curious about Battle Fantasia. I should pir...ahem...buy a legit PS2 copy and check it out. There was so much good stuff on Neo Geo that just flew under the radar. Even the first KoF game was pretty excellent. 

Tbh I don't think Capcom has topped SF2. It's one of the games I consider a perfect game, along with Tetris in that it's easy enough for your grandma to understand and be able to play a few matches and have fun, but there's enough complexity under the hood to keep vets invested. Since then they've put the complexity ON the hood and I think the series is worse for it, but I also understand that they had to do something different. 

10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I should pir...ahem...buy a legit PS2 copy and check it out.

It is a PS3/360 game 😅

I am sure one of the factors is so obscure outside the fgc, is that it was one of the 1st fgs to release on the 7th gen consoles, so, at the time, there was a very low potential playercount, and when the consoles started to get more populated, sf4 was around the corner.

Speaking of PS2 games, I would kill to have HNK and SBX on modern consoles.

Edit

And speaking of PS3/360 games.

I never played Samsho Sen, I want to know why it failed.

Was the gameplay so bad? Or was that is just was unfairly compared to SoulCalibur? I wonder.

Edited by Hecatom
21 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Edit

And speaking of PS3/360 games.

I never played Samsho Sen, I want to know why it failed.

Was the gameplay so bad? Or was that is just was unfairly compared to SoulCalibur? I wonder.

I think it's a prejudice against 3d that longtime fans have in part, but I don't know that it was the most mechanically sound game either. I played arcade mode at Mikado when I was in Japan and the game looks great. I'd be interested in giving it a go but I think it only came out on 360 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I asked about Battle Fantasia on discord but no one knew anything about it.  Hekatom didnt say nothing...he probably never even noticed since his weird ass only hangs out in the memes channels posting his creepy memes.

Anyhow, game always looked dope to me.  Some guys in sacramento played it at their gatherings and that's the only time I ever seen anyone playing it.