Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I'm watching someone stream Gollum (AZ from the "Heelvsbabyface" channel) at the moment...and right from the start this game has 1 detail I always hate... the forced stealth that includes automatic "Game Over" when you get caught.  That just never sits well with me; I'd at least like any kind of fighting chance if the enemies saw me.

It does make for hilarious moments so far in this stream; the guy is of course just streaming this because he's heard the game is a huge pile of shit that everyone's roasting at the moment.  haha I am already wondering how soon until he gives up on this.

Edited by MillionX
1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

I generally dont put too much stock into reviews, but SF6 is sweeping shit. Game aint recieved anything less than a 9.5 score on most review scores. Capcom might be entering another prime

@EvilCanadian has a pretty extensive review. You should check it out. To me his review is more for people that actually play fighting games. It touches on things general reviews don't.

At the risk of sounding as party pooper, but I think that SF6 perception, at least among casuals and enthusiast will skew later on a less positive note due some of the mechanics, since they will feel like they are too punishing for some due how they have to dabble the resource for everything and if not being cautions ending in very not favorable situation.

It would probably not be much of a problem for all enthusiasts and more hardcore part of the playerbase, but I can see it becoming an issue for the part of the community.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

At the risk of sounding as party pooper, but I think that SF6 perception, at least among casuals and enthusiast will skew later on a less positive note due some of the mechanics, since they will feel like they are too punishing for some due how they have to dabble the resource for everything and if not being cautions ending in very not favorable situation.

It would probably not be much of a problem for all enthusiasts and more hardcore part of the playerbase, but I can see it becoming an issue for the part of the community.

I mean.. thats every fighter. 

Just now, RSG3 said:

I mean.. thats every fighter. 

The mechanics on SF6 work in a very specific way that is kind of harsher than other fighting games in certain scenarios.

Is rather easy to get into a Burnout state and get steamrolled because of it.

By concentrating every mechanic on only one resource once you are out of it, you are out of both the offensive and defensive mechanics, with your only options to exit from it to try to take the offensive or be patient and block, which becomes more difficult if your opponent has enough resources to either counteract or open you up.

Other games separate the mechanics across different resources, so even if you don't have 1, you still have access to other tools elsewhere.

The only aspect of the game not tied to the Drive gauge are supers.

I know and you described a lot of games just now so I'm still not sure what your point is. It's easy to get blown out in tons of games, that's pretty standard for a fighting game. 

Like I agree with you a lot of people will turn salty on the game once everyone figures out how to really play it...but that's how it always goes...

I dunno will be kinda interesting. Been watching jpn players and they just full send it, they don't seem to give a shit about being in burn out. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, RSG3 said:

I know and you described a lot of games just now so I'm still not sure what your point is. It's easy to get blown out in tons of games, that's pretty standard for a fighting game. 

Like I agree with you a lot of people will turn salty on the game once everyone figures out how to really play it...but that's how it always goes...

The point is that every game for more than a decade tries to have certain pace, where even in dire situations you still have access to a mechanic (or group of them) that could help you turn the tides. (Even older games had something like that)

SF6 doesn't have that, in fact, as how it is right now, the Drive system is the antithesis of it, where once you are put on a dire situation, you are locked out pretty much of every mechanic in the game minus your specials and your supers.

And a lot of specials still have the problem that their better utilities are locked behind your ex specials.

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The mechanics on SF6 work in a very specific way that is kind of harsher than other fighting games in certain scenarios.

Is rather easy to get into a Burnout state and get steamrolled because of it.

By concentrating every mechanic on only one resource once you are out of it, you are out of both the offensive and defensive mechanics, with your only options to exit from it to try to take the offensive or be patient and block, which becomes more difficult if your opponent has enough resources to either counteract or open you up.

Other games separate the mechanics across different resources, so even if you don't have 1, you still have access to other tools elsewhere.

The only aspect of the game not tied to the Drive gauge are supers.

I don't know man. I've heard too many stories of people being able to get friends and family to play thanks to Modern Controls. That is a positive sign, because I've never heard any such stories about any traditional fighting game before. If you only retain 10% of the people that get pulled in by Modern Controls that still a lot of people that you wouldn't have playing your game at all. Between that and netcode that allows intercontinental play, I think SF6 is going to have a long term, casual, player base larger than any game in the franchise. I mean the netcode turns Brazilian Ken's into just regular old Kens. Yeah they still DP all the time but now you can react and punish them. Sorry @Volt

The point is that every game for more than a decade tries to have certain pace, where even in dire situations you still have access to a mechanic (or group of them) that could help you turn the tides.

I know, it's been really ass. 

where once you are put on a dire situation, you are locked out pretty much of every mechanic in the game minus your specials and your supers.

Sounds like you still have two whole sets of tools to use so you aren't actually all that fucked. 

Again I agree that a contigent of people will bitch and whine about the game after 5 months, but again thays completely normal and expected since it happens to every game. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I don't know man. I've heard too many stories of people being able to get friends and family to play thanks to Modern Controls. That is a positive sign, because I've never heard any such stories about any traditional fighting game before. If you only retain 10% of the people that get pulled in by Modern Controls that still a lot of people that you wouldn't have playing your game at all. Between that and netcode that allows intercontinental play, I think SF6 is going to have a long term, casual, player base larger than any game in the franchise. I mean the netcode turns Brazilian Ken's into just regular old Kens. Yeah they still DP all the time but now you can react and punish them. Sorry @Volt

Yeah, but the other side of the story that not many talk about is how most of the people playing with modern get steamrolled and lose the motivation to keep playing, since even when it makes the game more accessible for them, they are not playing the same game as their opponents in classic, since they lack tools and due how the mechanics work, usually end on a situation that makes them feel helpless due not having acces to the mechanics of the game when they end in burnout, which is super easy to happen when playing on modern controls by a newcomer.

And this is without taking in consideration the skill gap.

I saw a lot of newcomers here in my scene try the game, because they were excited, and ended overwhelmed.

Is a double edge sword.

During the betas I played with a lot of people using modern and even when I went easy on them, they still dipped out as soon as the match ended.

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, RSG3 said:

I know, it's been really ass.

Yeah, a lot of games did a terrible work (mostly capcom games, lol)
But a lot of games also did a good job with their mechanics imo.

Sounds like you still have two whole sets of tools to use so you aren't actually all that fucked. 

Again I agree that a contigent of people will bitch and whine about the game after 5 months, but again thays completely normal and expected since it happens to every game. 

What I am saying is that I feel that the honeymoon period could end sooner rather than later. Due how the game can be seen as harsher in those situations when compared to others.

I think that is also a reason why Capcom put a lot of work on the single player component this time around, since it is a good distraction for the more casual side.

Side note

Is also why Cygames is adding a lot of side content outside the FG on GBFVSR.

Both in single player and online multiplayer, they are adding what it seems to be a Fallguys mode on the lobbies, lol.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:35 AM, OPTIMUS124 said:

Street Fighter seems to be working itself into the Star Trek odds curse for critical acclaim. 

Kind of a Capcom thing, the DMC franchise seems to run on this to. The odd numbers are the bangers and the evens are the trash (tho 4 is decent.)

Edited by RSG3

Street Fighter 4 was great and good for the scene when it first came out.  Now most people hate it.  Street Fighter 5 was great and good for the scene when it came out.  Now most people hate it.  How much you wanna bet the same thing happens with SF6? 

This game is pretty fun - https://store.steampowered.com/app/2161430/FAKE_SIGNALS/

System Shock remake is out today - https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, but the other side of the story that not many talk about is how most of the people playing with modern get steamrolled and lose the motivation to keep playing, since even when it makes the game more accessible for them, they are not playing the same game as their opponents in classic, since they lack tools and due how the mechanics work, usually end on a situation that makes them feel helpless due not having acces to the mechanics of the game when they end in burnout, which is super easy to happen when playing on modern controls by a newcomer.

And this is without taking in consideration the skill gap.

I saw a lot of newcomers here in my scene try the game, because they were excited, and ended overwhelmed.

Is a double edge sword.

During the betas I played with a lot of people using modern and even when I went easy on them, they still dipped out as soon as the match ended.

Yeah but as I said my post. Even if you lose 90% of them, you are still gaining players that would not have even tried without the modern control option.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Screenshot_20230530-122803_Twitter.png

I'd hope someone wouldn't be cruel enough to do this and it's just a joke but if not there's a special place in hell for whoever did this.  I'm not even a huge Earthbound fan but there wouldn't be enough fries in the world for the amount of salt that would come pouring out of me.  This guy would definitely earn an on sight Bionic Arm.  No warning, no super flash.

Edited by Sonichuman
9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Still got one. That's all that matters.

rip-bozo.gif