Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I'm really behind on this topic but since a major event is happening today... 

Holy fuck what a fumble in regards to Overwatch. Blizzard literally ha one of the hottest IPs in the market right now and they're completely fucking mismanaging it - first by essentially killing the original game by giving it zero content for 3 years, then straight up from it's customers (hello WC3 Reforged) with the whole OW2 transition, and now cancelling the entire purpose of 2's existence - a proper single player experience 

They have a massive universe to work with, a ton of stories to tell, nearly 30 characters to explore, and what do they do with it? Just change the monetization model while the competitive scene has been dying a slow death 

It's probably still not as bad as Halo Infinite (cuz let's be honest Halo is in the gutter and grave again), but good God right now Diablo IV is like the only decent enough thing upcoming from Blizzard. We're lucky that HOTS and StarCraft passed away a long time ago now, at least they didn't have to go through whatever the fuck 2023 Blizzard's state is (but that also sucks because we'll never get a StarCraft 3, or a World of StarCraft for that matter) 

At this rate I'm not even expecting the "story missions" and "lore codex" to deliver as eveybody is predicting it'll just be same pve content Overwatch got in the past years just with a different flavor and maybe some extra steps 

1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

but that also sucks because we'll never get a StarCraft 3, or a World of StarCraft for that matter

Star Crafts story ended, let's just be happy we got 6 cool as fuck games and a few dope as hell expansions and never had to deal with it spiraling into the fucking shitter. Star Craft remains near perfect. 

Till they get wise, try to bring it back, and fuck it up. 

Edited by RSG3

Can someone break down how the PSN tiers work? 

Is the Game Catalog and Classics catalogue like GamePass? Or do I get to keep the games? I’m really confused on how it all works as the “free” PSN+ games still remains its own reward. 

Edited by iStu X

Ah, so from playing again lately, I am reminded of the other gripe I had with Borderlands 3--- the pace.  I wonder though if this is really just because I hate the story.....and the how the comedic writing here has become annoying to me at this point in the franchise (*this may also be because I've become tired of seeing the same tone in many of the popular mainstream movies in recent years---e.g. most Marvel movies).  Maybe if I was enjoying the story I wouldn't be so annoyed by the pacing of things here... but in each quest I keep wishing I could just skip it all entirely and get back to killing things.  It would be nice if this one had a good power-leveling method/exploit like part 2 had with that Tiny Tina quest exploit....heh, everyone was abusing the hell out of that until they eventually "fixed" it.  Anyway, once you've finished the story once it would be nice if your alternate characters didn't have to do story ever again... I'm not even sure *if* I'll play alt characters much in this; everything is just feeling so slow and tedius, like I'm always just wanting to get the next quest done, like it's more of a chore than something fun.......I made one of each now and Moze is the main one now... I have her at level 25 so far.

This caught my attention on the store lately.... we still need more games like this where the player is the bad guy:

Edited by MillionX
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake won’t be at the upcoming Ubisoft Forward, but fear not: it's very much alive. Get an update on the remake through this Q&A with our producer and game director from Ubisoft Montréal: https://ubi.li/pvqaT

https://twitter.com/princeofpersia/status/1661404537498791941

What is Ubisoft Montreal bringing to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake?

Jean-Francois Naud: Ubisoft Montreal is the birthplace of the original Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and, well, that's a big deal. That's a big deal for everyone in Montreal, I will be honest. And there's a bit of pride to be able to take a second look at the game and identify the new tech we can showcase the Prince’s journey with, and bring the Montreal expertise that we've developed – on storytelling, on gameplay, on art – and leveraging the knowledge we have built since the original Sands of Time came out. It's a pretty exciting time.

Why is it important to approach this as a remake rather than as a remaster?

Michael McIntyre: It has been 20 years since the original game was released, and not only has technology advanced – which of course you would need for a remaster – but I think we, as players and game-makers, have evolved since that time. I do not think a remaster would take enough of those evolutions into account; I think you need to do a remake in order to truly evolve the game to meet a modern context.

In the case of The Sands of Time, it's about how you would preserve those things that are still strong, right? One of the gameplay cornerstones of the original game is how the Prince moves around. And yes, there is technology that lets us execute that better – but there are also expectations from players, in terms of other modern games, of what it means to actually control a character. Ubisoft Montreal has developed a strong expertise in that, and we are looking at how we take those lessons and apply them to the spirit of a game like Prince of Persia. That kind of thing is more than just technology; it really is us as game makers having evolved, and understanding that for players, simply picking up a polished version of the original would not meet their expectations.

How do you even begin to approach remaking a 20-year-old game? Are you able to use the original production materials, either as an inspiration or as a guide for what you're doing?

JFN: Yes, we have access to tons of documentation. When we did our research for the remake, we were able to see the ambition and the intention of the original team; they had a lot of limitations that are not necessarily there for us nowadays. So, we see these ambitions, and we'll be able to better deliver them to our players. For example, the theme, the fantasy – it’s still very modern, and at the same time its setting and storytelling are still pretty unique, which makes this game very relevant and worth playing for new audiences.

You mentioned that movement is something that can be modernized; what else about the original needs to be updated or refined?

MM: That refinement is actually kind of across the board. I think part of remake-versus-remaster is that there really is some degree of refinement in every aspect. The movement is a big one for us, but combat will get a similar treatment, because of how movement is evolving. And when we as a team look at some of the things that need to be refined, even the story – the story will remain true to itself. But the way it's delivered, we have new ways that stories have been told in games over the past 20 years, and it allows us to be a bit more nuanced and refined in the way we execute the story.

Is the Prince still going to lose his shirt progressively over the course of the game? 😮

MM: [laughs] We’ve talked about it! It's definitely a thing we’re looking at. It’s a good example of what we sometimes call “nostalgic markers,” which are things that people remember, details people remember. So we are not going to be The Sands of Time in name only; we really will be the blueprint of the original, with every part refined, but also key memorable things are very recognizable, because that's an important part of recognizing that you are playing the game with this name, right? We're definitely not a re-imagining or re-invention where we feel like we have all this creative license to just sort of be inspired loosely. It's a celebration, which gives us a certain commitment to truly stick with some of the details and structure of the original.

Michael, you've previously worked on this series. Are there learnings from those later games that you could go back and apply to The Sands of Time?

MM: Oh, absolutely. I was level-design director on Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and I was a level designer on the Prince of Persia from 2008, and on Two Thrones. With those games, we were continuing what The Sands of Time started, so we learned how to make that kind of game from what the team that made The Sands of Time established, and we explored a lot of ways to expand on that. We learned a lot about how to add variety and richness and scope to that kind of game, and honestly also learned some things that feel less Sands of Time. We realized that there are certain breaking points where the game starts to feel like it’s a little out of the recipe for what The Sands of Time was. For me, I'm able to take both of those kinds of lessons back to doing the remake, both paying attention to what must be honored in order for it to feel like the original game, and also identifying ways we can bring richness and variety to the original that only were brought into the franchise later.

4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I still stand by remaking Snake Eater is dumb when MG1&2 are right there begging for it. 

Cool I guess tho. Hope they do well like Capcom has with RE so far. 

Yeah, you're right. Part of me is hoping they'll go 3 -> 1 -> 2 because of in-story chronological order, but I doubt it. I don't get why do 3. Remaking 1 is what you want to do or start with, easy.

4 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Remaking 1 is what you want to do or start with, easy.

Yea thays basically what I'm hoping for. Remaking 1 would give them the freedom to find their footing and figure out how to make a MGS game without all the expectations that come with a game as iconic as 3 but no Konami going right for the Goat lol. 

I also just watched the trailer and Snake looks cross-eyed lmao. 

15 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

The first Metal Gear could definitely use a remake. Yes, I mean the MSX version. Yeah, the NES version has problems but the MSX version has some flaws that could be wiped clean with a remake. Ditto for Metal Gear 2.

Remake both them shits and put em in the same package since they're both relatively short. I'm dying for another game starring Solid Snake. 

That state of play was super underwhelming, for me personally. 

Aside from stuff I already knew about that I’m excited for (Spidey 2, SF6, FF16), the only things I really saw that I want/have interest in are Phantom Blade 0, the new Cats Quest, The Plucky Squire and Neva.

All but Phantom Blade 0 are also coming to the switch which id rather buy on as the dev’s get a bigger percentage of the profits made as opposed to anywhere else. 

“What about MGS3 remake?” Eh. I don’t care honestly. I’m over Kojima and the Metal Gear series. Have been since Snake Eater honestly. 

Project Q is gunna flop so fucking hard. 

Finally got caught up on the Showcase and finished watching it.  Showcase was alright.   Had some interesting games in there and some that we already knew about that a majority are hype for.  I WANT to be hype for MGS 3 but knowing full well that Kojima isn't anywhere near it made me just stare at the trailer with no look on my face.  There are some major shoes to fill with that game and Metal Gear Survive is going to be on the forefront of people's minds when it comes to this game.   I'm reserving judgement since we have literally nothing to go on but that hill is unfathomably steep for them to climb.

Ass Creed has been kind of whatever to me but I'm sure my wife will love the game as she always has.  I will say though that the game looks like it's actually more of a return to form than previous Ass Creed games and that makes it more interesting to me in that aspect.  Happy that the Dragon's dogma people got their gameplay of II.  Phantom Blade looks extremely interesting to me.  China has really been trying to make a splash in the game industry...it's crazy how hard they are coming into this.  Alan Wake 2 looks cool, still need to get the first one for my wife since I think she'll really enjoy that.  Bungie announcing Marathon coming back is crazy and definitely forgot for a moment that Sony had bought Bungie.  Looking in my feed, Marathon is also coming to Xbox which is also interesting...thought that would have been completely exclusive.  Granblue Fantasy ReLink finally coming out over here lol.  Teardown looks interesting but at the same time I don't know what the goal of this game is about.  I'm sure Sword of the Sea will win a ton of awards and praise since it's done by the same people behing Journey.   Plucky Squires looks super cool and  and of course Final Fantasy XVI and Spiderman 2 look amazing.   I have no idea who is going to buy the Q cause I have a feeling this thing is going to be fairly expensive and the fact that you can't really be wherever you want with it is going to be a detractor.  Of course there's also lag concerns if you're like at someone else's house or on vacation somewhere and you want to try to use the thing.  Again all I can say is good luck to them with that.

Edit:

Some of these devs gotta get better at showing what they're game is about what you do in the game cause I have no idea what Concord or Revenant Hill are even about.

Edit 2: Oh yeah almost forgot about Foamstars...Which I don't know...Splatoonish game with foam?  best guest as to what's going on with that.

Edited by Sonichuman

Konami put out in game screenshots of MGS Delta Snake Eater

https://www.ign.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-3-remake-screenshots

Sony is expecting PS5 sales to start outpacing PS4's by the end of this year

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-expects-ps5-sales-to-begin-outpacing-ps4-by-end-of-2023

PSVR2 has strong launch despite reports, has outsold PSVR1 in the same time frame

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-vr2-has-strong-launch-despite-reports-outselling-original-psvr

Edited by Sonichuman

I am a bit worried about the future of the PS5 for myself personally if that was the best they have to show.  

I really only have interest in that Towers of Agosha, Phantom Blade, and then the games by Abzu dev and Gris dev.  The latter 2 I'll get on Switch though and the former 2 I am not sold on 100% or anything, but I'll be paying attention to them and see if they are interesting.  

I was disappointed that Spiderman was the "big reveal" at the end.  I cut it off and have no interest in that or any other games they showed really.  Maybe Alan Wake 2 but we'll see.

And PSVR2 games were blah too.  I just wanted to see an Astrobot 2 or something that is must have.

15 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

CAYDE IS COMING BACK! 

That was the biggest reveal for me. Y'all acting like it was shit and Bungie just dropped a trailer with the most beloved character in all of Destiny who died years ago alive and well, AND they got Fillion back for his voice? Pshaw!

Too bad none of us can catch up with the story to Destiny and learn who Cayde is...

Anyway Marathon coming back is hella random as fuck, Marathon 2 was what, 1995? 96? I'm interested, Marathon had a cool wacky story that was like a mix of System Shock and Portal, A.I.s doing whatever the fuck they want and you trying your damndest to survive the meat grinder. 

I wonder if Durandal will be back...It's not really Marathon without Durandal. 

Edited by RSG3