Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Dead Cells---So, I was unaware of the change with the "mimic" enemy.... an update from months ago made it so it can spawn anywhere else in the game, NOT just the Bank area....so yeah I found this out the hard way today.  It was such a good run too... 22 points on Brutality, and it looked like I was going to cruise through to the end, since I had the "tainted flask" passive which is way better now....along with the usual vengeance (one of the top rank passives in the game, imo) and scheme passives.... I was almost done with Caverns and hit one of the shops before heading to fight the Giant... *boom* it turns out to be a goddamn mimic.  That is easily the most dangerous enemy in the game....it's even worse than an elite golem.  It hits you one time for about 90+% of your health, then the 2nd hit will kill you....and it's not just ridiculously strong... it is also faster than you and super agile, so you can't get away from it....one of the only things in this game I'd say is a little too ridiculous against the player, actually.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:41 PM, AriesWarlock said:

Who is that shitbird?

"I played the first level and I hated it so it's bad because I decided not to give it a chance" is basically what he said about Castlevania 64. I get that it's not the most popular entry in the series but I feel like it's gotten to internet meme opinion levels of people saying it's bad without actually playing it.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Who is that shitbird?

"I played the first level and I hated it so it's bad because I decided not to give it a chance" is basically what he said about Castlevania 64. I get that it's not the most popular entry in the series but I feel like it's gotten to internet meme opinion levels of people saying it's bad without actually playing it.

Reminds me on people piling on Bubsy 3d

Mind you I am not saying is good, but it is not the worst game on the console, even less one of the worst in history by far.

This dude actually goes into detail about the games he is citing as the worst on PS1, not much as he necesarily considering the worst, but going by most lists, compiling the top 5 contenders and then giving an honest opinion after playing them and seeing if they are truly deserving of their bad rep as the worsts.

Saying that, the point of the other dude on the video on the post you are quoting is to summarize the worst transitions from 2d to 3d based on his opinion, and playing devils advocate, he even says that it does not necessarily mean that the games are bad, but that coming from the games in 2d and the expectations behind them when going 3d, those games fail to live to them.

And continuing with the devils advocate, you don't need to eat an egg to know is rotten.
If playing the game for a while is not enough to catch your attention, is valid to say the game failed in that regard as long as you are honest about the reasons why it fails for you.

Plus Castlevania 64 SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS, The revision quite less, but still, not a good representation of what the game series have been.

But, "I Finished a Game" said in his retrospective, Castlevania was always a series that was changing, so consistency, even during the Iga era was not something that was common on it 😅

Edited by Hecatom

I like Legacy of Darkness and subscribe to the notion that CV64 is pretty shit in general. Legacy improves on it most ways, tho still has it flaws. 

Of the 3D CVs from that general era, 64 is probably the one I have the least inclination to ever play again.

To add to Hecatoms post, 93-98 we got some of the tightest and most creative 2D platforming design that had ever been done to that point, late 97 was Symphony of the Night, the Metroid-ish game that made games like Metroid popular honestly. 

All Konami had to do really was delay 6 months. Legacy of Darkness was the same year, 99  and significantly improves upon what CV64 was.  Konami shot it out the door before it was ready, and I mean that from a core systems perspective. 

Edited by RSG3

I finally started up Sonic Superstars. I got new stages and gimmicks to learn. I can tell which tracks Tee made and which ones Jun did. From that I've heard of Jun's stuff thus far, it isn't even bad. It pales in comparison to many of his other tracks from previous games but the music here isn't bad by any means.  

When I hopped into a Special Stage to nab a Chaos Emerald, I was worried I was gonna have to run on a half pipe. Kudos to Sonic Team for giving us something new. Now I just gotta get used to it. The Special Stages where you go for Medals do make me dizzy though and give me some PTSD from Sonic 1 Special Stages.

13 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I'm so looking forward to this.  Contra 4 was stellar- the dead zone was the only real complaint I had.  I do kind of wish they'd drop the limited continues model also, though this was alleviated in Contra 4 by the missions allowing you to practice tough spots without having to re-run the whole game up to that point. They could even re-balance the game to be more difficult if limited continues were axed, like the Japanese hard corps.

So... I ambushed this spider looking fucker with the Harpers from Last Light Inn in the Shadow Cursed Lands. We won, but after the battle there was some residual electrocution on the battlefield and it triggered the Harpers to attack me after one of them got shocked. So I had to kill them all. Then I got this bitch fairy in a lantern and I killed her too when I smashed the lantern. Then I went back to Last Light and everyone is pissed off at me so I had to kill the entire village. Fucking hell, man.

18 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Plus Castlevania 64 SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS, The revision quite less, but still, not a good representation of what the game series have been.

But, "I Finished a Game" said in his retrospective, Castlevania was always a series that was changing, so consistency, even during the Iga era was not something that was common on it 😅

I don't agree. RSG is right that it could have used some more polish, maybe a few more months in development. But it's hardly the abomination that 2d CV purists say it is. I'd argue it rivals (and even surpasses in some places)  Sotn in the vibe department. 

17 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I like Legacy of Darkness and subscribe to the notion that CV64 is pretty shit in general. Legacy improves on it most ways, tho still has it flaws. 

Of the 3D CVs from that general era, 64 is probably the one I have the least inclination to ever play again.

To add to Hecatoms post, 93-98 we got some of the tightest and most creative 2D platforming design that had ever been done to that point, late 97 was Symphony of the Night, the Metroid-ish game that made games like Metroid popular honestly. 

All Konami had to do really was delay 6 months. Legacy of Darkness was the same year, 99  and significantly improves upon what CV64 was.  Konami shot it out the door before it was ready, and I mean that from a core systems perspective. 

Legacy is an improvement in some ways, but imo not a significant enough one to warrant another title and I've never understood what people mean when they say that LoD is such a huge improvement over CV64. Imo it's not a big enough difference that if you hated CV64, you'd like LoD.

If anything, the level design in LoD isn't as good or concise as it is in CV64 and to me that outweighs a lot of the improvements LoD made.

I'd argue it rivals (and even surpasses in some places)  Sotn in the vibe department. 

I don't agree with this even remotely lol. 

If anything, the level design in LoD isn't as good or concise as it is in CV64 and to me that outweighs a lot of the improvements LoD made.

Naw LODs level design is significantly better with a lot less tedium and annoyance involved. It also has two entirely new campaigns, you being confused why it got a new title when it's like 75% more game is frankly baffling lol. 

I'll agree thay CV64 has a bit of that Youtube/Internet reputation to it, but I don't agree it's some overly hated misunderstood game. It's not. It's mediocre at best, imo anyway .I say this while rating LOD as like a 7. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I don't agree with this even remotely lol. 

Naw LODs level design is significantly better with a lot less tedium and annoyance involved. It also has two entirely new campaigns, you being confused why it got a new title when it's like 75% more game is frankly baffling lol. 

I'll agree thay CV64 has a bit of that Youtube/Internet reputation to it, but I don't agree it's some overly hated misunderstood game. It's not. It's mediocre at best, imo anyway .I say this while rating LOD as like a 7. 

What tedium do you mean?

To me, the levels in  CV64 feel far more focused and crafted than the ones in LoD. Forest of Silence is a good example. It's laid out a lot more like an actual forest, and overall a lot of the tower levels are laid out like towers and have a structure that makes sense considering what they're supposed to be. I don't get that from a lot of the LoD versions. It's probably nit picky but I always got the impression they felt they had to "remix" the levels for LoD to make it worth selling as a separate title. And with the exception of the ship and the castle rooftops, the additional levels never felt fleshed out enough to me; they feel like cut content that they worked into levels because they needed an additional selling point.

The two new campaigns are still playing through a lot of the same levels, so it's kind of like Cotm2 where there might be some minor differences, maybe a level added here and there, but it's largely the same game. If anything, it feels like the game was designed with Reinhardt and Carrie in mind and the other two, while decent, seem tacked on. i wish they'd fleshed out Cornell's combat style, like he felt more animalistic outside of wolf mode, but he kind of feels like a reskinned Reinhardt.

Dont get me wrong, I love any 64 Castlevania I can get, but imo there's a lot of bloat in LoD and if they'd taken the time and added in the additional LoD content and polish with the focused levels from CV64 we'd have had the perfect version of the game.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Confused Christian Bale GIF

The Villa alone easily equals anything in Sotn in the atmosphere department. The graveyard in the front, the light shining in through the windows, Rosa and her "watering the white roses," the vampire that attacks you after you see it in the mirror, or the ghosts in the Archives.

Remember running through the hedge maze to escape the gardener, finding the lair of that vampire and getting to the next level via the secret passage in the coffin. The respite of the Room Of Clocks, making those crazy jumps in the Duel Tower, or navigating the Tower Of Sorcery wth all the stars and planets appearing and disappearing in the darkness. Ascending to the castle keep and walking in to see that huge coffin in there.

There's  lot of cool details in the game, like when you go into the lab in the Castle Center and see all these prototypes of things humanity wouldn't invent for decades, the vampire maids, the crying statue, etc.

The 64 games are honestly really beautiful games that have a lot more detail and vibe than people realize.

Edited by DoctaMario
37 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Snip

I would have to disagree bro.

Even back then the games felt ugly and a huge letdown for me when I played them.

Meanwhile SotN expanded in everything that I loved from the series and still holds today.

This is something we would have to agree to disagree, since is clear you like them, and in my case I don't, not even back then🤷‍♂️

Well, to no one's surprise the sales out there are CRAZY right now... basically my entire wishlist on every platform is on sale; the temptation is terrible here... just a few of what I'm looking at, just on Steam:

• Double Dragon Gaiden 18.74
  • Left 4 Dead 2 = 0.99!
  • GRIME = 16.24
  • Souldiers = 11.99
  • Cult of the Lamb (though I have this on Switch already) = 14.99
  • Turbo Overkill = 14.43
  • Hades = 12.49 (another one I have on Switch already)
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal = 8.99 (blast from the past here; I have one of these on the PS Vita)
  • Hexen = 1.49!
  • Scarlet Nexus = 11.99
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 = 7.99
  • Shadow Warrior = 2.99!
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War = 7.49

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

On 11/22/2023 at 7:42 PM, VirginDefiler said:

been playin alot of genshin lately. damn that game has to be the biggest game regarding the huge vastness of the locations n areas. the world is so massive. and theres 2 more kingdoms left for the devs to make. 

quoting self here.

genshin impact is 180gb in file size. that has to be one of the biggest rpgs in existence, if not the biggest one.

File size does not indicate actual content size, COD games are over 200gb these days. We are working with lots of uncompressed, extremely high resolution textures and renders these days, not to mention audio isn't nearly as compressed as it used to be, if it is at all honestly. 

Games are huge in size due to the fidelity "we" are demanding, not because of actual tangible content size. 

Edited by RSG3
22 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

File size does not indicate actual content size, COD games are over 200gb these days. We are working with lots of uncompressed?  extremely high resolution textures and renders these days, not to mention audio isn't nearly as compressed as it used to be, if it is at all honestly. 

Games are huge in size due to the fidelity "we" are demanding, not because of actual tangible content size. 

That and devs just not finding it worth their time to do any sort of compressing unless they absolutely have to.  It sucks too cause then we're gonna get/already have situation where a chunk of the game isn't even on the physical package or in Alan Wake 2's case the game is so big that they don't feel like putting it out physically (read:  we don't want to print it on however many discs it would take and we don't feel like nipping and tucking to make it happen).  I can't even imagine how big GTA6 is gonna be file size wise.

I wonder the same thing about consoles having to be connected to the Internet that I do about irl situations that require a smart phone. Like I know at this point it's a niche case but what happens if you don't have your console connected and you buy a physical game that isn't complete on disc/cart? Are you just shit out of luck?

Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD was also just 3 bucks; I got that one on the Steam Deck, and so far it's alright.. I'm tempted to get Lords of Shadow 2 on Steam as well though I had it on ps3....  but still it was such an odd thing with that game... at first I was loving it, and then they committed one of the great sins of game design... forced stealth sections.

It's just stupid/silly---the player is in the role of Dracula here....but you *have* to sneak around in those areas....even though he should be able to easily rip those big armored guys to pieces even with his powers not yet at 100%.  It's very simple what they had to do there, and it could've easily been a top-rank vampire power fantasy game for me... just go all in on it being a DMC or God of War kind of thing but with the Castlevania IP....get that forced stealth shyte out of here, or make it purely optional...like if Drac is noticed that just means it's time to simply fight and destroy those silly mortals....show them who's really on at the top of the food chain there.

It started off awesome too, now that I am remembering... soldiers show up in the castle, foolishly thinking they ever had a chance.

...and again I'm now realizing it's a real shame that Konami owns this franchise....it's another one I wish were "rescued" and made relevant by a better company.

4 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD was also just 3 bucks; I got that one on the Steam Deck, and so far it's alright.. I'm tempted to get Lords of Shadow 2 on Steam as well though I had it on ps3....  but still it was such an odd thing with that game... at first I was loving it, and then they committed one of the great sins of game design... forced stealth sections.

It's just stupid/silly---the player is in the role of Dracula here....but you *have* to sneak around in those areas....even though he should be able to easily rip those big armored guys to pieces even with his powers not yet at 100%.  It's very simple what they had to do there, and it could've easily been a top-rank vampire power fantasy game for me... just go all in on it being a DMC or God of War kind of thing but with the Castlevania IP....get that forced stealth shyte out of here, or make it purely optional...like if Drac is noticed that just means it's time to simply fight and destroy those silly mortals....show them who's really on at the top of the food chain there.

It started off awesome too, now that I am remembering... soldiers show up in the castle, foolishly thinking they ever had a chance.

...and again I'm now realizing it's a real shame that Konami owns this franchise....it's another one I wish were "rescued" and made relevant by a better company.

LoS2 has a really nice art design in the castle areas, and I like the story concept.  Combat isn't bad either, certainly no DMC, but more fun than GoW3 was.  But yeah those stealth sections suck, and a lot of the present day settings are bland as hell.