Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Guest Characters? In MY Street Fighter?

After evo and the Saudi tournament I’ve seen a lot of competitive players decide to check out modern.

And I don’t blame them either with these big money tournaments on the line.

Not sure if it’s a hot take but unless they make changes I think by the end of the games life cycle I think way more pros will switch to modern.

I might have underestimated the impact of Modern but there's no way Capcom is going to ban or restrict it for tournaments. I think with the right adjustments it can still coexist, particularly if you only change the numbers around it. As in, in addition to the damage reduction, they could also give the characters less health, or change their Super Gauge slower, or stay longer in Burnout etc.

I do think they should get rid of the hybrid input system though. If you pick Modern, you should have to live with the damage reduction and not be able to input a classic SPD motion and get full damage instead.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

do think they should get rid of the hybrid input system though. If you pick Modern, you should have to live with the damage reduction and not be able to input a classic SPD motion and get full damage instead.

Yeah, Haitani was definitely taking advantage of this by doing motions for full damage combos and then using the simplified inputs for reactions.  If you pick Modern you shouldn't get the best of both worlds.  

3 hours ago, delete_me said:

I might have underestimated the impact of Modern but there's no way Capcom is going to ban or restrict it for tournaments. I think with the right adjustments it can still coexist, particularly if you only change the numbers around it. As in, in addition to the damage reduction, they could also give the characters less health, or change their Super Gauge slower, or stay longer in Burnout etc.

Even if they banned it there likely would be separate tournaments that would allow a ALL-Modern config tournament anyway. It's likely to rise in that way because of many are easily adopting to it.

My issue to it it loses the establish branding of SF. Motion inputs are very much essential in the popculture identity.

They could had remove the 360 motion and replace with HCF

reduce buttons to 4 then add a dedicated easy special button that execute different version of specials that has a drawback or a caveats

-either in priority, recovery and invincibility 

-another thing is not everyone has to access to all their special to have an easy specials counterparts.

---for example Ryu only has easy special for Hadoken and DP, while Ken having only easy special for DP and Tatsu

- remove super motion entirely so no QCFX2 but rather QCF plus PP or KK like Mahvel

-or just pressing the two(both) Special Button or Special Button + L or H normals for other variations of super

SO at the same time Casuals are encourage to learn input motion because it has a REWARD and ExCEPTIONAL BONUSES if used.

And likely the button layout would change again in the next street fighter. unlike before everyone knew the basic 6 buttons at QCF that everyone can just pick it up.

Street fighter would likely start to have everchanging button layout like in modern mahvel games(tvc,mvc&mvci), which is not good for attracting casual because they need to relearn again.

49 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah being able to do motions on Modern to skirt the damage penalty was always dumb. If SF eventually switches to Modern, I'll shift to other games. I don't care that modern is in the game, it's cool that other people get to play but it aint it for me. There are more games than I have time to play, so I'll just spend time elsewhere.

I mean Fatal Fury is looking pretty good.  It's my backup plan if Modern takes over SF 😂

1 hour ago, Maravilla said:

Modern will NEVER replace classic, yall should know this by now lol. 

Probably not but it's definitely something that's going to be around and be controversial.  We're at the beginning of SF6 and someone already placed top 8 with Modern controls at EVO.  That's a far cry from what people were saying a few months ago that pro's won't ever be touching modern controls lol.  

Modern is definitely real and a direction they want to take SF in. If SF7 had no motion inputs I would not be even a little shocked lol

I personally dont give a fuck if a game goes all in this direction, I'm pretty eager for Granblue Rising and motion inputs are dead as a doornail in that game. But it's weird in SF6, because classic and modern are both relevant options in the game. If it sees no changes it's gonna be like grooves or MBAACC moons, with modern being an alternate version of a character that might be overall better or worse. I already know some people talk about playing modern into specific matchups, like modern DP characters into Honda/Blanka.

2 hours ago, Shahenzan said:

Modern is definitely real and a direction they want to take SF in. If SF7 had no motion inputs I would not be even a little shocked lol

I personally dont give a fuck if a game goes all in this direction, I'm pretty eager for Granblue Rising and motion inputs are dead as a doornail in that game. But it's weird in SF6, because classic and modern are both relevant options in the game. If it sees no changes it's gonna be like grooves or MBAACC moons, with modern being an alternate version of a character that might be overall better or worse. I already know some people talk about playing modern into specific matchups, like modern DP characters into Honda/Blanka.

Yea no motions, we'll see how that plays out for project l, (it's gonna fail).