Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Why again? What platform did you buy it for already? A bunch of us play on PS4? Tbh, I’m in there more regularly

The world should just be using Fightcade 2...  🙃

I own it on PS4 but I almost never use that machine.

Add me on Steam: 6351339

I'll play almost any game.

18 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@FlyingVe4K 30fps with Raytracing IIRC

I remember the times as Ratchet and Clank games ran at smooth and silky 60fps and had awesome gameplay.

Seems with the ONE PS4 game insomniac forgot how great 60fps feel to play.

I guess they're now on the "shiny graphics is all that matters" train like the rest of the AAA industry.

At least gimme the first 4 games on PC, so I won't have to emulate them anymore, my Deadlocked Boltcount is about to go offscreen.

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

I feel like the only person in this thread who has no idea what ray tracing is 

It’s a more accurate simulation of lighting.

most games without ray-tracing effectively fake lighting with cheats and shortcuts.

it most obviously makes reflections look a shit ton better but generally improves lighting all around. It is however, a massive performance hog.

1 minute ago, misterBee said:

Then something is horribly wrong.

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

It’s always ran weird on my computer. What usually happens is our character models teleport/re-position, as if it realizes we’re closer/further apart than we should be. I’ve had clear, front jump-ins, turn into cross-ups at the last second 

6 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

It’s a more accurate simulation of lighting.

most games without ray-tracing effectively fake lighting with cheats and shortcuts.

it most obviously makes reflections look a shit ton better but generally improves lighting all around. It is however, a massive performance hog.

The name tipped me off that it had something to do with light, but other than that I had no idea. 

I knew devs “faked” light in games, but is ray tracing really that much better? As you said I assume that’s a massive resource hog. 

Im honestly starting to wonder when we will see the top end of graphics. Not that I don’t like improvements, but I feel like we are getting a point where games sizes and hardware requirements are getting way bigger from graphical improvements that...are not as big of leaps as you’d expect. 

A bit off topic, but I also feel like graphics are the only improvements I’m consistently seeing in gaming. Are games using all this power for anything else like more interactive environments or bigger maps? Better AI? Etc

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Fightcade is too much of a hassle to get running. I honestly prefer 30th over it.

But you don't have to do anything except put a ROM file in a folder. 😢

You guys pain me.

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

The name tipped me off that it had something to do with light, but other than that I had no idea. 

I knew devs “faked” light in games, but is ray tracing really that much better? As you said I assume that’s a massive resource hog. 

Im honestly starting to wonder when we will see the top end of graphics. Not that I don’t like improvements, but I feel like we are getting a point where games sizes and hardware requirements are getting way bigger from graphical improvements that...are not as big of leaps as you’d expect. 

A bit off topic, but I also feel like graphics are the only improvements I’m consistently seeing in gaming. Are games using all this power for anything else like more interactive environments or bigger maps? Better AI? Etc

Raytraced lighting is much more accurate than the 'faked' lighting used up until this point.

True shadows, actual reflections on objects, etc.  There is a wider range of effects and a higher level of accuracy than can be achieved using the old methods.

Modern open world games are incredibly resource heavy.  The number of actors/objects in the world, render distance, size of the land masses being used -- there's a lot more going on under the hood than just improved graphics.

12 minutes ago, misterBee said:

But you don't have to do anything except put a ROM file in a folder. 😢

You guys pain me.

Raytraced lighting is much more accurate than the 'faked' lighting used up until this point.

True shadows, actual reflections on objects, etc.  There is a wider range of effects and a higher level of accuracy than can be achieved using the old methods.

Modern open world games are incredibly resource heavy.  The number of actors/objects in the world, render distance, size of the land masses being used -- there's a lot more going on under the hood than just improved graphics.

And yet none of the open world games I've played was as much fun as plain old Gothic 2.

I heard Witcher 3 took a lot of notes from Gothic 2, maybe I should check the game out.

28 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

It depends on the game.

look at watchdogs legion, the ray traced version looks much better, but on other games it’s less significant.

quoting one of my friends who works in game dev. He says that ray tracing usually isn’t worth it. Devs have gotten so good at faking lighting that any gains from ray tracing aren’t worth the overhead trade-offs.

this of course with the (reasonable) caveat that you should always evaluate on a case by case basis.

Edit: AI isn’t bottle necked by hardware. Everyone always says that power should go towards AI, but AI is cheap. It’s all in how you script it. Also, when people say they want better AI they usually have no idea what they actually want.

Edited by FlyingVe
17 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Any recommendations? I don’t remember the last open world game I played tbh.

18 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Any recommendations? I don’t remember the last open world game I played tbh.

What do you actually want in an open world game?

I mean no disrespect by this, but you have complained about AC because it doesn’t really focus/excel in any gameplay area... that is kind of the hallmark of open world games, so some information about preference would help make a better recommendation.

4 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

@Vhozitehates AC...

🙂

Origins and Odyssey play nothing like older AC games.  Modern AC games use Souls-style combat, RPG-style story choices/quests/dialog trees and massive open worlds.

There are AC fans out there that dislike the newer games because they're not similar enough to the older games. 🤣

2 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

What do you actually want in an open world game?

I mean no disrespect by this, but you have complained about AC because it doesn’t really focus/excel in any gameplay area... that is kind of the hallmark of open world games, so some information about preference would help make a better recommendation.

Good RPG elements? My favorite open world game is probably Fallout New Vegas. I feel like I should mention Skyrim, but I played that game with so many mods i feel like mentioning it isn’t really fair? 

And yeah I really don’t like AC, or at least Odyssey. 

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Booted up rev 2 for shits and gigs, decided to give bedman a try. 

was initially upset cause he doesn’t have an air dash. 

then I realize that he’s the commander and chief of the United States of Bullshit. 

One thing I like about Xrd is that everyone has some tricks up their sleeve. Not everyone is good at everything, but I feel like every character has something that I like gameplay wise. 

Except Sol. Fuck that guy. 

12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Good RPG elements? My favorite open world game is probably Fallout New Vegas. I feel like I should mention Skyrim, but I played that game with so many mods i feel like mentioning it isn’t really fair? 

And yeah I really don’t like AC, or at least Odyssey. 

Giving you seem to be more into the role-playing aspect of it when you say RPG elements, here’s a few recommendations off the top of my head:

-Witcher 3

-Outer Worlds

-Fallout 4 (not anywhere near as good as NV but still solid)

-Mass Effect (not truly open world but similar structure)

-Maybe inquisition (but that game can slog a bit).

If you are really into the gameplay mechanics, I gotta second @Volt. Breath of the Wild is in a class of one.

Edited by FlyingVe
5 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Giving you seem to be more into the role-playing aspect of it when you say RPG elements, here’s a few recommendations off the top of my head:

-Witcher 3

-Outer Worlds

-Fallout 4 (not anywhere near as good as NV but still solid)

-Mass Effect (not truly open world but similar structure)

If you are really into the gameplay mechanics, I gotta second @Volt. Breath of the Wild is in a class of one.

Funny enough I actually have Fallout 4 but I’ve never really played it and I totally forgot about it till you mentioned it. 

I remember being a bit turned off by a lot of the stuff happening at the beginning (idgaf about the protags story) but I’ve never given it an honest chance. 

Probably has fire mods by now too.

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Watch the, suprisingly good, IGN breakdown of Spiderman Miles Morales. It didn't seem like a big deal to me until I saw that. Can't unseen better window reflections now 😑

33 minutes ago, JustBrowsing said:

Was just about to post this as a weak excuse to show what me and The Nephew just made... 

spacer.png

That’s like a pineapple-upside-down-pizza. You really are british aren't you 😂

Edit: my bad @JustBrowsing, i thought pineapple-upside-down cakes were an english dessert, as my british grandma made them all the time (they were kind of her specialty), but it’s actually an american dessert

Edited by Mattatsu