Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

4 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

I'm starting to think NXT 2.0 is a better weekly show than 1.0. Let's see if I still feel this way after a month.  

I don't like how they are just throwing debuting stars at my face. There's an overabundance of new people I doubt I'm going to remember most of them the next week. Especially the ones who they didn't bother to give a proper introduction too.

9 minutes ago, scorp said:

It's a crazy what-if scenario, would Brock had ever returned to wrestling if the motorbike incident didn't derail his NFL career.

I don't think he was ever gonna make make it. I never got the vibes from NFL people he was special for NFL. Even in am wrestling he was just big and strong but wasn't special. 

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

I remember him being the toast of the NCAA just like Gable is now.  

That's a little bit of a stretch.

Now if Brock would of won Gold in Sydney in 2000 maybe you could put them in the same group, but he never wrestled on the international stage. 

Also, Brock won his title while Cael Sanderson was still in school. Brock was definitely in that shadow. 

Brock's a freak athlete and so is Steveson, but I don't think either of them would make it in the NFL

Just now, KingTubb said:

That's a little bit of a stretch.

Now if Brock would of won Gold in Sydney in 2000 maybe you could put them in the same group, but he never wrestled on the international stage. 

Also, Brock won his title while Cael Sanderson was still in school. Brock was definitely in that shadow. 

Brock's a freak athlete and so is Steveson, but I don't think either of them would make it in the NFL

Yeah I was just talking about his NCAA days.  I remember Brock being featured on TV on ESPN in like 2000 but by then he was probably already being looked at, especially with WWF as hot as it was at the time and Kurt making noise.  

Edited by Psychoblue
8 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

The latter part sounds like haterade.  I remember him being the toast of the NCAA just like Gable is now.  

Brock doesn't have the technical knowledge that gable has. You can find alot of videos by well known wrestlers who talk about it.. He was never a technical wrestler. All the current Gen heavyweights are far more technical. 

Gable is special but it's the fact his mat iq is high going along with his gifts. He doesn't just rely on being strong or fast. 

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

I remember Brock being featured on TV on ESPN in like 2000

Yeah, that's when he won his championship. 

People like putting brock on TV because he looks like a leather bag full of snakes. And like Maxx said 

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

Brock doesn't have the technical knowledge that gable has

His athleticism is what carried him to a championship. People that cared about wrestling were more focused on the insanity of Cael at that time because he was truly something special. 

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Gable is special but it's the fact his mat iq is high going along with his gifts. He doesn't just rely on being strong or fast. 

Not saying he isn't a total freak athlete tho. And honestly, the kid leans HEAVILY on his strength and speed, but unlike Brock, he can apply it better and has a higher Mat IQ like you said. 

I mean, he won a gold medal really only using a snapdown. I honestly don't remember him turning anyone the whole tournament. 

30 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I don't think he was ever gonna make make it. I never got the vibes from NFL people he was special for NFL. Even in am wrestling he was just big and strong but wasn't special. 

Disagree, I remember Brock nearly making the 53 man roster for the Vikings. The coaches wanted to keep him but he was too raw. I specifically remember them being surprised at how fast he was for a guy his size. Brock ran the 40 in 4.7 at around 290lbs. He probably would have been put on the practice squad but let's be real he had options. The practice squad, back then, didn't pay that much.

Edit: Just looked it up. Brock's numbers were better than highest drafted DT in that years draft class.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

He probably would have been put on the practice squad but let's be real he had options

this 1000% and the same goes for Gable. 

They both could be NFLers eventually, but realistically, they wouldn't wanna ride the bench for 2 seasons before making a difference. 

Look at Stephen Neal. A guy of the same wrestling caliber (who beat Brock for a Championship BTW)  and didn't really start for 2-3 years after signing a contract, which means it probably took him 5-6 years before he made real money. 

Brock ain't sitting poor for 5 years 

17 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

this 1000% and the same goes for Gable. 

They both could be NFLers eventually, but realistically, they wouldn't wanna ride the bench for 2 seasons before making a difference. 

Look at Stephen Neal. A guy of the same wrestling caliber (who beat Brock for a Championship BTW)  and didn't really start for 2-3 years after signing a contract, which means it probably took him 5-6 years before he made real money. 

Brock ain't sitting poor for 5 years 

Yeah it looks like the Vikings offered Brock a spot in NFL Europe but he didn't want to be that far from his family.

Just now, HD-Man said:

Joe Gacy's woke gimmick is certainly interesting, if they're willing to let him lean heavy into it, I could definitely see it working 

He's one guy I'm surprised didn't go to AEW, he was often mentioned in the same breath as Kingston especially when they were part of the Unwanted together.  I could see him being another Bray Wyatt type enigma or another Kevin Owens if Owens is out the door.  

14 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

He's one guy I'm surprised didn't go to AEW, he was often mentioned in the same breath as Kingston especially when they were part of the Unwanted together.  I could see him being another Bray Wyatt type enigma or another Kevin Owens if Owens is out the door.  

He instantly reminded me of Owens, funny you mention that. He favors him and seems to be quite confident on the mic like him too

On 9/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, HD-Man said:

AEW been so good I made an impulse buy of some tickets for the New Orleans show without even knowing if I'm off or not. But I think we can request time off now so I'll be putting 2 days in shortly😂

I've considered asking to go for my birthday, which is around that time. Problem is that New Orleans for me is 8+ hrs by car, and would be a three-day trip by default. Plus I'd probably have another major panic attack in the French Quarter, knowing my luck.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
6 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Tony Kahn need to start checking if dudes can perform basic maneuvers before he let's them get in the ring on live TV. Homic took like 8 hours to hit Archer with that second chair shot, Archer had to awkwardly stand there longer than usual, shit was awful 😂

AEW is the Brooklyn Nets.  They just got their Big 3 and all former and borderline all-stars, but the guys left over from the previous offseason are still on this...

7 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Tony Kahn need to start checking if dudes can perform basic maneuvers before he let's them get in the ring on live TV. Homic took like 8 hours to hit Archer with that second chair shot, Archer had to awkwardly stand there longer than usual, shit was awful 😂

That's normal homicide. We accept that. He's been on tv before he was in tna. 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Wtf kinda ending was that to  Balor/Reigns? Match was superb until that. The ropes just randomly snapped 

His demonic power increased his density and made him too heavy for the buckle to support. 

So close, Finn. But you got “that’s good shit, pal’d”.