Stage Select

The Nintendo Switch Thread

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Chozo Burritos for all!: Cruis’n Blast 9/14 - Diablo II Resurrected 9/23
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Aka me. I'm tired of seeing Kraid and Ridley to for that matter. Lore wise it's kind of silly both of these dudes been planet nuked and somehow are still around. 

From a gameplay perspective it's just boring now. 

Yea, if they're gonna keep bringing those dudes back, atleast make  a separate Boss Rush Mode for them or something. But ya know how Nintendo likes to milk certain villains to death 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Aka me. I'm tired of seeing Kraid and Ridley to for that matter. Lore wise it's kind of silly both of these dudes been planet nuked and somehow are still around. 

From a gameplay perspective it's just boring now. 

They've at least attempted to explain Ridley's reappearance after SM as he's either cloned or the X got some of his DNA.  Neither of the original Ridley or Kraid have been seen since SM and this will be Kraid's first reappearance timeline wise so maybe they'll explain it somehow?  I mean considering he's in chains chilling in the evil Chozo's place I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Chozo probably had a hand in it.

58 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Anyone else getting Cruisin Blast when it comes out?   I've played it like one time with my son at D&B and it was fun and the port looks pretty solid.

(Topic change reminded me of it)

Maybe I want a racing game that is not trying to be Mario Kart, Gran Turismo or a mobile game and I don't have an Xbox or PC that would let me enjoy Forza Horizon yet.

Y'all deadass acting like Kraid wasn't in all of 3 games and he wasn't even sized correctly in NES Metroid. 🤣

If we're keeping it 💯 tho, fuck him. Short hop missile spam is already a pain to do in Zero Mission, it's even harder when you barely have any ground to stand on and with him flinging shit around constantly like a deranged monkey. 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Y'all deadass acting like Kraid wasn't in all of 3 games and he wasn't even sized correctly in NES Metroid. 🤣

If we're keeping it 💯 tho, fuck him. Short hop missile spam is already a pain to do in Zero Mission, it's even harder when you barely have any ground to stand on and with him flinging shit around constantly like a deranged monkey. 🤣

What do you mean Kraid wasn't "sized correctly?" That was the first game, if anything he's not sized correctly in any of the others 🤣

4 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Wife and I have decided to get our grandson a Switch Lite as a Christmas present this year. He's 7, so I'm trying to think of appropriate games that aren't like Pokemon, Among Us, or Minecraft. He is getting the double pack for Diamond/Pearl though as a gift from me.

What does he like?  Or does he have an idea of the genres that he gravitates towards?

7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

What does he like?  Or does he have an idea of the genres that he gravitates towards?

He does like to play lag fighter online Smash and has tried playing Breath of the Wild on his recent visit here (He's here through the end of the day tomorrow). Other than that, he's played stuff like Among Us.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
17 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

He does like to play lag fighter online Smash and has tried playing Breath of the Wild on his recent visit here (He's here through the end of the day tomorrow). Other than that, he's played stuff like Among Us.

Mario Bros U Deluxe, Mario 3D World, Pokémon Let’s Go, Pokémon Snap, Captain Toad, Yoshi’s Crafted World, Sonic Mania, Super Lucky Tail, and Mario Kart 8 all come to mind. 

I know you said besides Pokémon but Let’s Go was specifically built for his age range in mind and Snap is just fun. 

If he likes BotW I recommend the Links Awakening remake. It and LttP IMO perfectly encompass what the series is and it’s learning curve is slow, steady and fair. That and I hate Breath of the Mild. Lol

If he has an adult around to help translate what he wants Mario Maker 2 might be good too. 

Almost every game I mentioned is multiplayer too so if some handholding is needed every now again it can happen. 

Edited by iStu X
27 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

He is getting the double pack for Diamond/Pearl though as a gift from me.

713129943629955173.png?v=1

Looks like kid played some GOAT of the Wild too. Good stuff.

Link's Awakening Remake is nice and colorful, Mario Kart 8 is definitely a good idea. Captain Toad is a little gem that he'll probably like too. Pokkén might not be a bad idea.

Edited by Volt

I'd say Paw Patrol On a Roll is too simple/easy for a 7 year old that has gaming experience.  My son was 4 when I got that and that's what got him into games.  He's 6 now and plays Splatoon 2, Minecraft, Smash, Mario Odyssey, etc.  It's a decent game, but it's just super basic and easy if you can play more advanced games.

• iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Chozo Burritos for all!: Wario Ware 9/10 - Cruis’n Blast 9/14

Holy shit the difficulty spike in Mystery Dungeon DX’s post game. 

“Oh, you’re use to 10-15 floors? Eh, best I can do on these new dungeons is 50-75 floors. Oh, and you can’t see where any items, traps, or Pokémon are until you’re in range of one of them or in the same room. Whichever we feel like” 

“uh…wait. Hold on, can we talk about this?”

“nope. Fuck you. Happy exploring!”

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Nintendo bringing back Big Brain Academy because why not. 

Weird they’re releasing it the same day as Advanced Wars though

I think it came out in Japan and Europe already so it is weird they are dropping it so late in the year. I am no programmer but updating the UI and title screen shouldn't take that long.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

I think it came out in Japan and Europe already so it is weird they are dropping it so late in the year. I am no programmer but updating the UI and title screen shouldn't take that long.

Most likely there are no code/programming changes at all and rather it's just localizing strings/images and things like that.    

I used to work on a commercial CAD application that was sold all over the world and we basically put all of our text strings in a  properties file, and when we would release em in other parts of the world, we'd just have those files localized.  And this was back in like 2007 lol.  And we're not nearly as big a company as Nintendo.  So I'm sure now it's much easier too.

I may grab that game though.  I liked them on the DS and it looks like it could be a fun/educational game to play with my son with the multiplayer modes.

Edited by purbeast

The problems with Earthbound are it seems to not do super well compared to other games with JRPGs not being easy to make they haven't the reason to make another one or try to milk it (Glory of Herkales and Golden Sun say hi) and I suspect it really is it's creators baby, so Nintendo may not want to do another one or a remake without his blessings.

The characters and style are well known now but with two hurdles against it like that and no real champion on the inside to push it you get nothing.

Edited by Wellman
  • iStu X changed the title to The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Chozo Burritos for all!: Cruis’n Blast 9/14 - Diablo II Resurrected 9/23

So I know the Switch analog sticks are bad but, I just bought a PowerA wireless controller maybe four months ago and this bitch is unplayable. This is the third pro style controller I bought that has had this drift type nonsense occur on me since I got the system in 2017. 

So anyone know a good pro style controller that is durable. Two of my previous controllers were the official pro ones which both lasted longer then the Power A but I really hope there is a controller I can get that lasts.

10 minutes ago, Wellman said:

So I know the Switch analog sticks are bad but, I just bought a PowerA wireless controller maybe four months ago and this bitch is unplayable. This is the third pro style controller I bought that has had this drift type nonsense occur on me since I got the system in 2017. 

So anyone know a good pro style controller that is durable. Two of my previous controllers were the official pro ones which both lasted longer then the Power A but I really hope there is a controller I can get that lasts.

I got a PS4 to Switch Brook converter and have been using my ps4 dual shock with good results. 

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

I have this 8bitdo and its awesome.

Screenshot_20210911-101636_Chrome.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-Pro-Bluetooth-Gamepad-mac/dp/B07T8JKVNT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1VZLR66SAQKE8&dchild=1&keywords=8bitdo+sn30+pro&qid=1631376832&sprefix=8bitdo&sr=8-3

Looks like there's a Pro 2 model, but it seems to be out of stock on Amazon right now.

I'm still using the official pro controller, and no problems with it yet; I've had it since probably 2018 at this point.

Metroid Dread--- absolute day 1 for me.  I love everything I've seen about it so far.  Also---"Ultra Age" is looking like my next one; that game just magically appeared out of nowhere... the videos shown in the past 2 days or so are the first I've heard of it.

23 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I have this 8bitdo and its awesome.

Screenshot_20210911-101636_Chrome.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-Pro-Bluetooth-Gamepad-mac/dp/B07T8JKVNT/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1VZLR66SAQKE8&dchild=1&keywords=8bitdo+sn30+pro&qid=1631376832&sprefix=8bitdo&sr=8-3

Looks like there's a Pro 2 model, but it seems to be out of stock on Amazon right now.

Wow I never realized those work on Switch.  

That dpad looks like it would be better than the pro controller too.

24 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Wonder if there is something up my 8bitdo, it's great but I get phantom downs from time to time.

Damn, that sucks. I don't think I've had any issue with mine. The Pro gave me all kinds of problems though. It's not a big deal with most games, but I can't play 2D Mario with a stick. Otherwise I love the Pro controller.

I put some Freeks on it tho.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:57 AM, Wellman said:

My Pro Pad started drifting. It got so bad that I'm actually playing using the D-Pad. I dread the end. Ironically, my joycons are drifting less now.

It seems to be a rampant issue nowadays, I bought a somewhat generic pad for my PC and that thing went full Initial D in less than a month. Opened it up, cleaned it thoroughly, and it stopped for a bit but then started again.

I heard that even the PS5 pads got drifting issues. There's definitely something fishy about it.

11 minutes ago, Volt said:

My Pro Pad started drifting. It got so bad that I'm actually playing using the D-Pad. I dread the end. Ironically, my joycons are drifting less now.

It seems to be a rampant issue nowadays, I bought a somewhat generic pad for my PC and that thing went full Initial D in less than a month. Opened it up, cleaned it thoroughly, and it stopped for a bit but then started again.

I heard that even the PS5 pads got drifting issues. There's definitely something fishy about it.

It's all analog thumb sticks not just Nintendo's Joycons and Pro controllers.
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo buy parts from the exact same supplier

Not always but sometimes dirty, dust and other fine particles are getting into the thumb stick and interfering with the wipers inside the potentiometers.

The following is at your own risk.

Sometimes if you are tech savy enough you can try to clean/fix theses.
For the Switch Pro Controller, PS4, PS5 and Xbox controllers sometimes a spray of contact cleaner and some stick movement fixes the issue. But it's not a guaranteed fix. The other fix is taking the analog thumb stick assembly apart and cleaning the wipers 

Edited by DarkSakul