Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

6 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I like the fact there's a new boss fight mode, which means they have OTHER devious bosses planned. Let me get Nightmare Geese, Orochi  and cheap ass Igniz (or Goodman) 

With the Rugal boss having you unlock some stuff after you beat him, it would be cool to earn Geese’s classic costume through this mode when Team Southtown drops.

4 hours ago, MP_ said:

Honestly having a ton of fun with this game.

i double dipped and bought it on Steam as well. Works fine on my laptop, just won’t launch at all on Linux for me. Windows runs it fine though.

I ran it just fine on Linux -- what's your setup?

Installing Steam and setting it to use experimental Proton made the game run perfectly.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:44 PM, misterBee said:

I ran it just fine on Linux -- what's your setup?

Installing Steam and setting it to use experimental Proton made the game run perfectly.

Got it working now.

It took me a while. Garuda with the zen kernel was sending back out to kdm the moment I launched it for the longest time; this was on 6.0, 7.0, experimental and GE proton.

Think it was either something with KDE or the zen  kernel or my hardware. Once the 5.17 kernel released, I haven’t had a single issue getting it to run on GE.

Thankfully up until then I have a Windows partition as a contingency plan.

Edited by MP_
On 4/16/2022 at 5:04 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Omega Rugal Boss Mode was underwhelming. I'm honestly terrible at this game and beat it on my first try. Straight up too, I didn't use any cheese. I remember old school Omega Rugal pounding me into damned paste. I can't imagine how easy he was for skilled players.

Seriously, this is Baby's First Fighting Game Boss compared to someone like 2002 Omega Rugal

On 4/16/2022 at 9:40 AM, ZioSerpe said:

This character is ass

Whip's always been shit in every game. You really have to put alot of work to make her go face to face with other characters. Which is a shame because in terms of non-gameplay aspects, she's probably one of KOF's best characters.

7 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Seriously, this is Baby's First Fighting Game Boss compared to someone like 2002 Omega Rugal

If O.Rugal was able to recover his health at the end of every round won that would have at least added some challenge close to 98 but he's a laughable joke. Almost close to Orochi or Mukai tier of easy SNK boss.

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

SNK gonna hear yall talking shit bout Rugal and make an update that reads all your inputs 😂

Yeah I'd expect that actually. Be cheap AF. Be unfair. Be hard!

Or does this Virgin Omega Rugal version have to bow out so we can get a Chad Magaki boss challenge?!

Fighting game boss? NAH! Bullet-hell boss!

9 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Yeah I'd expect that actually. Be cheap AF. Be unfair. Be hard!

Or does this Virgin Omega Rugal version have to bow out so we can get a Chad Magaki boss challenge?!

Fighting game boss? NAH! Bullet-hell boss!

There are two things I expected that them to do that they didn't. One of which is just dumb. He doesn't recover health in between round which is a standard thing for any fighter in the game. The other is I expected him to take reduced damage. He's not SNK boss worthy. He's easier than New Generation Gill. All you had to do to beat him was block lariat/throw cheese him. Even that wasn't guaranteed and it took us a few games to notice the weakness. 

3 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

He's way too easy, but whocares, I'm here to play online. Also this is content for casuals, and they'll find it plenty hard.

I only have a few hours logged on KOFXV. I hadn't played in like a month and I beat him first try. When it comes to KOFXV I am a casual. He isn't even as hard as Gill in SFV arcade mode. I didn't have to use Max mode, I didn't need to roll. I was basic as hell and beat him. I felt like that dude at BlizzCon when they announced Diablo Mobile. "Is this a belated April Fools Joke", Omega Rugal my ass. SNK bosses are supposed to be broken and unfair. 

Rugal Boss Fight + Matches

Spoiler

My honest opinion. 

Spoiler

O. Rugal is nowhere near as unforgiving as he was in 95 and 98/98UMFE. The character is still completely broken, obviously but there are some purposefully placed recovery frames (that the "regular" O. Rugal DOES NOT have, specifically on his Dark Barrier) that make life easier for the player. In addition, he won't recover health upon winning a round. 

I purposefully ended it with Heidern winning against O.Rugal for just desserts (Most people should understand the narrative context by now, sense these are NOT new characters and this is definitely not a new franchise). In my head, O. Rugal probably comes back and starts overwhelming people as he normally does. Beats a few jobbers and maybe some protagonists. Kyo gets an upperhand and then gets cocky enough to get washed by O.Rugal. Luong (or insert newer character here) gets an upperhand but has an unlucky break (an abstraction seen in the vid) and Heidern pops up to finish the job, which partially explains why he is in KOFXV. 

Corny storytelling aside: 

Now to go down the line. 

O.Rugal himself? His normals have some decent range on them. 

His far C is no longer cancelable like it was in 98. 

Anti-airs: Far D, cl.A, pre-emptive/reactionary Genocide Cuttah, pre-emptive 214+B (Eye Laser) and (possibly) Dark Barrier. 

His jCD has a shit load of active frames and a deceiving hitbox. 

He gets 495 DMG from his staple combo starting from cl.D (both hits), 6B/4B, 236BD (EX Dark Barrier), 214 AC, (side switch), cl.D (1st hit only), 236+D, Gigantic Press.

Bnbs: 

--> 2B, 2A, 6B, 214+A or 236+D both work nicely. He can also combo into either of them from his lights but focus on chaining into 6B if you can when you're confirming. 

2C and neutral C are both quick enough to combo from jC and his jB will cross up. Try to avoid cl.D after jumps because it is a bit slow (it CAN still work but you have to land a really delayed jC or jD for it). 

O. Rugal 214+C does not seem to combo from anything but it will grant frame advantage on block. 

The dude gets a fuck load of corner damage in the corner (I actually got one against some Ralf player, but there was supposed to be a Dark Barrier thrown in there before Genocide Cuttah ender. It would also be better end it with light (B) Genocide Cuttah to keep the frame advantage and avoid getting wake-up thrown or stopped by a reversal). 

The character is a bit on the slow side but he can actually zone around pretty notice with his normal moves and the projectiles he has. 

His "Kaiser Wave" (initially stolen from Krauser) manifests through his Climax but he creates a black hole vacuum-effect before doing so. If the target is caught, it's Dragon Ball Z/Super time. You can actually use his Climax to punish A LOT of shit at the close to mid-range. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'mma keep it real simple cause you know what I'm about.

How's the Story mode? I deadass never actually beat 13's because the text is slow as molasses and if you so much as breathe on a button it skips the whole cutscene.

This is the one factor between me getting this game or not, idgaf about netcode. 🤣