Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

That's OK too. The unfortunate reality is that people want to have their "thing" give them the same feelings as when they first experienced it. Unfortunately, it won't. 

Some people do want that. I just want character's to have some level of consistency. Setting any narrative and plot whole issues aside, too many of Obi Wan's and other characters actions don't make a lick of sense. Abandoning a 10 year old to save an elite warrior is stupid. Sensing a fearsome enemy approaching and foregoing a hidden escape route to literally stand and wait for them to put yourself in peril is dumb. The events that occurred could have happened without characters being braindead to get there. That's just bad writing. Any fantasy show requires a certain suspension of disbelief but damn can the writers at least try. For me personally once I see a lot of egregious dumb things happen, minor nitpicks that normally wouldn't bother me get magnified. 

14 hours ago, RSG3 said:

It's not a misconception. It's a broad general comment about how Star Wars fans behave as a whole.

I find amusing when people make broad generalizations of a group.

There will be always bad actors in any kind of community, but to go on and make a generalization of them as a whole because of those bad actors is disingenuous at best and ignorant at worst.

This is no different than saying that every white person is racist, that every black is a lazy person that is up to no good, that all gamers are incels that live with their mothers that at any given moment will go on a shooting spree, that every metal head is a satanist, that every usa citizen is a fat fuck ignorant, etc, etc.

I’ve met more good Star Wars fans than bad Star Wars fans. Same with most communities I’ve been apart of. I’ve met more good than bad. But the bad ones are generally VERY bad. 

that said, I’m also extremely selective about who I talk my hobbies with. I generally try to get a feel for the person before I go in-depth about certain aspects of whatever we’re discussing. Once I know where they fall on certain things then will I go beyond surface level of whatever I’m in to. 

That doesn’t mean I won’t talk counter points and opposite opinions and so-on. But there’s just those certain topics where someone will have an opinion the polar opposite of yours and/or disagree with it in a certain way you don’t want to go beyond that. Mainly due to you not wanting to find out how deep that goes and where else that opinion can go or make them think/feel about actually important things

Edited by iStu X

"Toxic Fandom" talk is how companies deflect criticism of the lackluster product they've put out. If everyone that calls them out is some sort -ist or troll then it's not their fault, it's the fans  Anonymous people online can be jackasses. That goes for any topic, any hobby, and any discussion in general. People let Sony get away with it when Ghostbusters 2016 dropped and it's been the go to play for virtually every other major corporation since. Put out a quality product, i.e. The Mandalorian, and amazing the "toxic" fandom is near non existent. When you put out a subpar product, the vocal minority of jackasses standout because the rest of the fanbase doesn't care enough about your product to defend it.

28 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

"Toxic Fandom" talk is how companies deflect criticism of the lackluster product they've put out

I agree and disagree with this. While lack luster product does help fan the flames it’s not always due to that. 

I’ve met genuine scum bag people through FGC, table top gaming, comics, skate boarding, etc. Man, the stories I’ve have about scumbags I’ve met at conventions and tournaments. Those had nothing to do with subpar product. They were just shitty people who I unfortunately have to share air with. 

And anime has always been known to have a shitty fan base. I don’t care either way since it’s not a community I’m apart of. But it’s always been known that they gate keep pretty hard. Comics also use to have an extremely shitty community when the MCU started getting big. Both are still there but not to the same extent as they were as the materials have become more available and the discourse has matured. 

And I mean, let’s be real, anyone that’s been in the FGC long enough should be willing to admit our own community use to be insanely shitty and toxic. 😂

but as you’ve mentioned it can happen anywhere within any fandom. The Unfortunate side of social media is that the negatively gets exasperated and echo’ed. 

Regarding Mandalorian as your example, I’ve talked to quite a few people who absolutely fucking hated the show. 

Edited by iStu X
16 hours ago, iStu X said:

Regarding Mandalorian as your example, I’ve talked to quite a few people who absolutely fucking hated the show. 

There are people that hate anything. Nothing is universally loved. Carl Weathers and Giancarlo Esposito are minority characters where all these racist assholes the media seems to only focus on when a Star Wars property isn't well received. Where were these "we like strong female character frauds" when Gina Carano was getting crucified for things she didn't actually say. Where were these people when Gina Carano lost her role and subsequent solo series after being attacked by "toxic fans?" Pedro Pascal said things that were actually worse but the people that "care' about diversity only care when you fall in line with their political beliefs. I stand by my previous post wholeheartedly.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

No wonder disney was quick to play the toxic fandom/racism card. 

It was because they got those stream numbers back.

Donald Duck Money GIF

They will keep giving us more if we keep buying it. 

That said:

I agree with every point in this video. Vader is probably the only thing in Star Wars that has consistently been done right. 

2 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It was because they got those stream numbers back.

Donald Duck Money GIF

They will keep giving us more if we keep buying it.

Last I heard the numbers aren't really that good.

And not just for this series, but for Disney+ in general.

It is why bthey have been inflating the numbers by forcing every Hulu subscription into Disney+ the same for Hotstar, the streaming service they own in India.

And that one is in the middle of a crisis, since they seem to be at risk of losing the Cricket League exclusive rights, which is one of the main reasons people subscribe to their service over there.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/disney-without-cricket-risks-its-streaming-game-2022-03-03/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-wrestles-with-high-price-tag-of-india-cricket-deal-11654257780

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-cricket-streaming-plan-subscribers-1235161766/

It is one of the reason their stock price have drop drastically in the last months.

This kind of plans are usually done in advance, so is probable that if it was greenlit, it was months before Kenobi was released and before the dislike for the character was even a thing.

They really thought that people will like her character, lol

8 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Last I heard the numbers aren't really that good.

And not just for this series, but for Disney+ in general.

It is why bthey have been inflating the numbers by forcing every Hulu subscription into Disney+ the same for Hotstar, the streaming service they own in India.

And that one is in the middle of a crisis, since they seem to be at risk of losing the Cricket League exclusive rights, which is one of the main reasons people subscribe to their service over there.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/disney-without-cricket-risks-its-streaming-game-2022-03-03/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-wrestles-with-high-price-tag-of-india-cricket-deal-11654257780

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-cricket-streaming-plan-subscribers-1235161766/

It is one of the reason their stock price have drop drastically in the last months.

This kind of plans are usually done in advance, so is probable that if it was greenlit, it was months before Kenobi was released and before the dislike for the character was even a thing.

They really thought that people will like her character, lol

They're playing the right game though. This series is a reason keep D+ since it's a legacy brand. Sure, they're bundling the package. Would it be inflation if they consolidated Hulu, D+. and ESPN? I'm surprised that they honestly haven't done it yet but the brand has to stay the brand I reckon. 

Shows like this are going to carry the service. The NIelson numbers were released highlighting OB1 and Stranger Things debut. 

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/article/2022/nielsen-streaming-content-ratings-special-report-stranger-things-and-obi-wan-kenobi/#:~:text=For Disney%2B%2C Obi-Wan Kenobi,exceed 1 billion viewing minutes.

Numbers for the last two eps will be interesting. I don't think it was a surefire bet to greenlight a second project. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Vader is basically the only thing they've gotten right in this show. The Obi Wan series feels like a 2 hour movie that was stretched into a mini series. There was an live action Obi Wan fan short done years ago that is better than this show. 

Well, the original idea was that it was going to be a movie, but the failure of Solo scared Disney into moving it as a series.

Dunno if this script iterated from the movie script, but if did, then you could say it was a good call, because as a movie, it would bombed even harder than Solo, if you ask me

Edit

I also remember that they moved the series release date because the release of Mando s1 one threw a wrench to their plans, since they were working on a similar concept, I assume Obi with a baby/kid character, not that it changed much on release.

Edited by Hecatom

So i'm watching it and just finished the latest episode. I see around social media that the opinions on this are very mixed and a lot hate it for some reason. I don't get why. I'm not that much of a Star Wars fan, because I am black. I fell asleep to all of them, and I never watched any of the movies after Force Awakens except for the spin off ones like Solo, which i thought was shit.  So can any of the star wars fans here give me the scoop as to why the fanbase isn't happy about the show? 

I personally don't find it bad at all, there are ridiculous stuff here and there, and I really don't like the black girl character at all but the Vader scenes are marvelous. 

I like this Vader a lot because you see that he is evil, he didn't have that same "evil" effect on me in the originals. 

Spoiler

I had a huge issue with the flash back scenes. Hayden Christensen looked a bit old to me, with all the wrinkles in his face. I don't get why they couldn't CGI that like they did with RDJ in Infinity War. The only thing that got my attention was that Ewan has aged well because I honestly thought Anakin looked a bit older than Obi during the flashbacks. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Well, the original idea was that it was going to be a movie, but the failure of Solo scared Disney into moving it as a series.

Dunno if this script iterated from the movie script, but if did, then you could say it was a good call, because as a movie, it would bombed even harder than Solo, if you ask me

No they scrapped the original scripts and this is what they came up with. This show was delayed because of it. In classic Kathleen Kennedy fashion, she waited until they about to start filming to say "I don't like these scripts. Start over."  Also being run through by a lightsaber has been apparently been demoted to being stabbed by a pocket knife. 

13 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Lightsaber color lore was taken faaaaar more seriously once Mace Windu came on the scene. 

“JEDI MOTHER FUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT?”

”Yes” 

“WHAT DOES THE GRAND MASTER LOOK LIKE?” 

“what..?”

“DOES HE LOOK LIKE A SITH?” 

“…what?” 

“I SAID DOES HE LOOK LIKE A SITH?!” 

“…what?” 

“WHAT AINT A SITH I EVER HEARD OF!”

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, zatalcon3 said:

We couldn't get into SW before because we couldn't relate to it. There were no hoods in the planets, no shitty beats or rap remixes made by some untalented performer, none of the vehicles were low riding bouncing up and down automatic cars that the driver/pilot stole from someone else, no jedi student struggling to use the force because of smoking too much weed, etc.. It just never appealed to us until recently. 

there are no hoods?.......umm tatooine sir?