Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

49 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

So I actually think the ST has the best saber fights in the movies. The OTs are too wooden and stiff to actually be super hype and the PTs are so choreographed they look it. The ST looks like real fights. Real struggles and hits that look hard. 

The lightsaber fights are one of the STs stronger points imo. 

I heavily disagree, the DT has the worst saber fights, they look like kids flailing sticks rather than capable warriors, which makes sense for Finn and Rey since they are noobs, but Kylo should have been a beast with how to combine the force and the sword skills in a fight.

Instead what we got was choreographies ridden with glaring errors that pull you out immediately of the scenes since you are reminded that they are actors with little training failing at their ques and the stuntman are forced to try to salvage the scene by continuing what they were supposed to do.

Not only that, they barely use the force while fighting, which makes them look even worse.

The PT have the better sow3rdplay bar none, since they actually put the effort into making you believe that those are powerful people using super natural powers to enhance their combat ability, that they are not bound to the same rules as mere mortals.

16 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The PT have the better sow3rdplay bar none, since they actually put the effort into making you believe that those are powerful people using super natural powers to enhance their combat ability, that they are not bound to the same rules as mere mortals.

They look like band leaders twirling batons. They do so much needless crap in those it looks goofy as hell. 

Edited by RSG3
12 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

The moment at 3:22 is exactly what you mean 🤣.

And almost every other moment they point out. I can suspend disbelief for some goofy shit like surviving a 50 foot fall but why is Obi-Wan exposing his back in close quarters? That's not hype. 

Also never seen that vid before, that was fucking hilarious. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

They look like band leaders twirling batons. They do so much needless crap in those it looks goofy as hell. 

Lol, i know that is hyperbole due to that one scene, but tbh, dunno how can you see a well choreographed scene like Anakin vs Obi Wan which is easily the best sword fight scene in live action minus that scene, and think that is inferior to the garbage that the DT passed as fights, 🤣

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Lol, i know that is hyperbole due to that one scene, but tbh, dunno how can you see a well choreographed scene like Anakin vs Obi Wan which is easily the best sword fight scene in live action minus that scene, and think that is inferior to the garbage that the DT passed as fights, 🤣

No it's not just that scene. It's every fight in the PT they do silly pointless little saber twirls and baton spins and back spins and shit at dumb times. In Phantom Menace Darth Maul does an Arial for no fucking reason. He just does one.  That scene in ROTS is just the absolute worst example of it so it's easy to point to but they do it all the time in the PT. 

It's not the best scene in live action. It should be but it's not. That's still Vader Vs Luke the ROTJ Runback. That fights a good fucking fight 

John Williams did sooo much heavy lifting in the PT. 

Edited by RSG3

This is one of those things that we will have to agree to disagree.

I can get you, sort of, since they are small stuff that i know is added for "rule of cool", but for me is very minor.

Unlike the amateurish underwhelming shit that the DT has that for me has the same effect that these stuff that the PT does for you.

Doubt you will watch those since they are on the long side, but Shadiversity sums up most of my grievance with the DT fights

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

This is one of those things that we will have to agree to disagree.

I can get you, sort of, since they are small stuff that i know is added for "rule of cool", but for me is very minor.

Unlike the amateurish underwhelming shit that the DT has that for me has the same effect that these stuff that the PT does for you.

Doubt you will watch those since they are on the long side, but Shadiversity sums up most of my grievance with the DT fights

Ill try to watch them at some point but yea those are pretty long so no promises. 

And I'm not saying the ST movies have the best fights of all time or anything. They deffinitly have their flaws but when I watch them I feel like someone's actually in danger. 

I know it’s almost entirely CGI but my favorite fight is Dooku vs. Yoda. Especially once you get the context of Yoda is the reason Dooku turned to the dark side.

But the main thing I loved was we finally got to see one of the strongest Jedi‘s if not the strongest Jedi ever known finally showing why he’s regarded as such. 

as soon as he pulled back his cloak and force grabbed his lightsaber man. Fucking chills. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Ill try to watch them at some point but yea those are pretty long so no promises. 

I love fans being passionate, but you can only bitch about something for so long. 

Full Fat did a much better commentary on some of the duels in the saga. It's ironic because a channel called "Full Fat" did so much more with less. Here's a couple examples:

Admittingly, they don't really cover the ST as there really isn't a whole lot to say. 

43 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I love fans being passionate, but you can only bitch about something for so long. 

He is not bitching though.

He is analyzing and explaining the fights in the perspective of someone who practice swordfight.

Is an indepth analysis, scene by scene, explaining the details behind the action.

Is not even from a perspective of a fan (not that he dislikes SW), but someone that give a complete breakdown of what works and what doesn't, giving examples, etc.

BTW, I used to practice swordplay in my youth (huge fan of Highlander both movies and series, which motivated me to go and learn actual swordplay), which is why, his opinion mirrors more or less mine 😅

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

He is not bitching though.

He is analyzing and explaining the fights in the perspective of someone who practice swordfight.

Is an indepth analysis, scene by scene, explaining the details behind the action.

Is not even from a perspective of a fan (not that he dislikes SW), but someone that give a complete breakdown of what works and what doesn't, giving examples, etc.

BTW, I used to practice swordplay in my youth (huge fan of Highlander both movies and series, which motivated me to go and learn actual swordplay), which is why, his opinion mirrors more or less mine 😅

I've watched a few of his vids. I don't disagree that there are some immense technical flaws with most lightsaber combat. However, there is a lot of nitpicking about combat situations with a weapon that shouldn't exist to begin with. He even did a video a few years back that was much more concise and informative that explained the "problem" with lightsabers. 

Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

Snip

The thing is that those videos are part of his Fight Scene Autopsy, which are meant to be in much more in depth.

I know that not everyone is down for 1 hour long video, but it is why he has others for similar subjects.

The idea of those vids is to be as nitpicky as possible in both technical stuff and his own grievance. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The thing is that those videos are part of his Fight Scene Autopsy, which are meant to be in much more in depth.

I know that not everyone is down for 1 hour long video, but it is why he has others for similar subjects.

The idea of those vids is to be as nitpicky as possible in both technical stuff and his own grievance. 🤷‍♂️

You're right but I would see it more applicable on something like "The Princess Bride" 😂

5 hours ago, Wellman said:

Just got to see the last episode last night.

Reveal hidden contents

Won't lie wasn't a fan of Grogu coming in and ruining all of Mando's shine. I get it he is the "face" of the show but damn aside from take shots they let Grogu take everything that they didn't give to Fett.

Fett imo is just a boring character regardless of what they do with him. It’s why every other side character outshines him in his own show. 

All of Danny Trejo’s scene explaining how Rancors interact with people as a species was more interesting than anything Boba Fett did. Especially after all of he went through he just turned to Fennec and was like “this shit sucks. Let’s bail”. Which basically made everything he did irrelevant 

Edited by iStu X

So then the question is how to fix Boba Fett? What should the story have been about? 

(in before someone says "it should have been Mando season 3") 

Though It felt like Boba should have stuck to being a cameo/support for Mando. Just felt better that way. Maybe have Boba run his own merc group/guild? Anything would have been more interesting than what we got. I didn't hate the show...just felt like an anime filler arc. 

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

So then the question is how to fix Boba Fett? What should the story have been about? 

Though It felt like Boba should have stuck to being a cameo/support for Mando. Just felt better that way. Maybe have Boba run his own merc group/guild? Anything would have been more interesting than what we got. I didn't hate the show...just felt like an anime filler arc. 

I agree. 

Another take is that the Season 1 should have been about Boba's restoration with the Tuskens. That was actually a more interesting plot. The crime-boss stuff would have been better served in a focused Season 2. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:20 PM, TheInfernoman said:

I didn't mind either the flashback or modern stuff, they just needed to implement it better. With Boba's character, the amount of times he was proactive and took the lead either in terms of action or just running the place were minimum. Would have preferred him interacting with the populace more and getting into fights on his own. 

If we get another season, would love to see him with the crew he picked up here trying to take on different jobs preferably in different locations but even on that rock there are ways to put together interesting set pieces.

30 minutes ago, iStu X said:

The trailer honestly did absolutely nothing for me. 😂

I’m still going to watch it but what was shown didn’t wow me or get me even remotely excited for the show. 

Yea, but you are an anti-hype magnet and don't really like Star Wars anyway so this doesn't mean very much lol. Like not to be rude but this is the expected reaction from you. 

7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, but you are an anti-hype magnet

That’s not always the case. 

8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

don't really like Star Wars anyway

I do but I don’t. For me It’s just hard to care about Skywalker lineage stuff. I’m tired of it. 

8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

this doesn't mean very much lol

Either way, this is far. 😂

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Like not to be rude but this is the expected reaction from you. 

I can be excited about things. 

Angry Pokemon GIF