Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Spiderman 2--- as it seems to be the norm in Spiderman games, the suit selection is incredible.  I've already unlocked quite a few; I just got the "Superior" suit a little while ago, and the 2099 which is one of my favorite designs... the cool thing is there's color variants for most of them so far....and in the photo mode, you can change the suit there too; no need to try and re-create a good shot with different outfits.

So far it's been fun to just stop the crimes that pop up...sometimes Miles (or Parker if you're Miles currently) is there to help out.  This is such a great thing; it should always be a standard expectation in a superhero game....that there's a main story going on but also random crime situations to take care of.

Sales numbers for last month got put up last week and I somehow missed it

Circana September 2023

https://gameworldobserver.com/2023/10/18/best-selling-games-september-circana-starfield-mk1

Highlights:  Starfield took over for the month of September.  Did so well that it manged to rank 7th overall in YTD.  6 new games that released that month all charted in top 10.  The other 5 were MK1, EA Sports FC 24, Payday 3, NBA 2k24, and The Crew: Motorfest.  MK1 also did really well to the point that it charted 2nd for the month and placed 8th YTD.  Apparently it was no. 1 on for Sony, 2nd for Xbox and PC and 3rd for Switch.   I think the game would have probably charted higher sales wise for YTD likely if the Switch version didn't have as many problems as it did (personal opinion)

Hardware:  PS5 is continuing its reign at the top currently in both Units and dollars.  Xbox Series is coasting in 2nd for both unit and dollar sales.  This of course puts the Switch in 3rd for both measures.  PS5 is still the best selling platform YTD for 2023 for both Units and dollars and I don't see that shaking up anytime soon. The only way that would happen is if Super Mario Wonder somehow put Switch completely over the top during the holiday season and it ended up upending everything.  It's possible but completely unlikely.

Top 20 for the month:  Starfield, MK1, EA Sports FC 24, Dat Madden 24, Payday 3, NBA 2K24, The Crew: Motorfest, Armored Core VI: FoR, Hogwarts Legacy, CoD: MW2 2022, SW: JS, REmake 4 (This was 27 month prior.  God damn did Ada do this?  That's the only explanation), LoZ: TotK, Minecraft, MK8D, Rainbow Six: Seige, Gran Turismo 7, Elden Ring, Sea of Thieves (This also jumped from the 34 it was at in Aug.  Guess there's more people out there than I thought that like Monkey Island), Diablo IV (this was a big drop, was 7 previously)

YTD Top 20: Hogwarts Legacy, LoZ: TotK, Dat Madden 24, Diablo IV, CoD: MW 2 2022, SW:JS, Starfield, MK1, REmake 4, MLB The Show 23, Dead Island 2, Final Fantasy XVI, SF6 (oh man I just noticed that this isn't even on the chart for this month.  I had to check...it was 13th in Aug.  Guess the 6 new games pushed all the way out), EA Sports FC 24, FIFA 23, Armored Core VI: FoR, Elden Ring, Remnant II, Dead Space 2023, MK8D.

46 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Speaking of not nice things from Nintendo....

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Legal-information/Community-Tournament-Guidelines-2467744.html

So...I think Smash and Splatoon heads should just stop showing up to pretty much every event nintendo sanctioned or not.   Either that or just pick a dif game to compete in cause fucking hell.

LMAO no wonder Nintendo killed Smash @ EVO....or anywhere else, for that matter

Do they actively hate having competitive scenes for their games?

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Legal-information/Community-Tournament-Guidelines-2467744.html

So...I think Smash and Splatoon heads should just stop showing up to pretty much every event nintendo sanctioned or not.   Either that or just pick a dif game to compete in cause fucking hell.

Many disappointed

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I read the document as is not really that bad.

Is on par with most community guidelines you see from other companies. (Not only stuff like OW, COD, etc, but also other fighting games, like SF6, DBFZ, Tekken)

It seems to be aimed mostly at preventing organizations to freely use Nintendo games on their tournaments, It still allows grassroots scenes to run them as usual.

So basically, stuff like Evo, since is owned by Sony, or leagues/invitationals are required to apply to a license.

In the same vein, tournaments like CEO, despite being grassroots still requires a license, since money is involved.

Smaller tournaments can run as usual.

Dawn of the Monsters---well, I thought that was it for all the unlockable color variants for the characters but nah... there's actually more!  I should've figured this would be the case, but I'm now unlocking a few more by getting more S-ranks on the stages, and I just got another one unlocked for getting all S ranks on that first set of stages.  This is something that becomes easier in late game since your characters gradually get stronger as you unlock better versions of the passive attributes (things like "destroying buildings heals you" or "perfect dodging stuns other enemies" etc.)... besides the special effect of the passives, they also boost your regular stats like strength and critical damage, defense, etc.

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I read the document as is not really that bad.

Is on par with most community guidelines you see from other companies. (Not only stuff like OW, COD, etc, but also other fighting games, like SF6, DBFZ, Tekken)

It seems to be aimed mostly at preventing organizations to freely use Nintendo games on their tournaments, It still allows grassroots scenes to run them as usual.

So basically, stuff like Evo, since is owned by Sony, or leagues/invitationals are required to apply to a license.

In the same vein, tournaments like CEO, despite being grassroots still requires a license, since money is involved.

Smaller tournaments can run as usual.

Not everything is bad and of course they are within their rights to do whatever they want with their IP.  But if I'm a tourney organizer looking at some of this stuff...I'm not even gonna bother with it.  Especially the micro managing on the spectators and the amount of people can play per day.   I'm gonna have to read some of the guidelines for Capcom and DBFZ again cause a good chunk of this feels suffocating.

Ransomware group that hacked Capcom back in 2020 and was responsible for massive leak, gets his cheeks clapped

https://www.ign.com/articles/ransomware-group-responsible-for-massive-capcom-leak-arrested

Media Molecule hit with layoffs

https://www.ign.com/articles/dreams-developer-media-molecule-reportedly-suffers-round-of-layoffs

Interviews with ex Bethesda employee

https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesda-thought-it-was-infallible-before-fallout-76-launch-says-former-design-director

https://www.ign.com/articles/ex-bethesda-developer-reveals-internal-debate-about-starfields-scope

Bethesda apparently was on such a hot streak that they didn't think they could do any wrong and then Fallout 76 brought them back down to reality.  Ex Dev also talks about the the conversation around how big Starfield should be.

9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Bethesda apparently was on such a hot streak that they didn't think they could do any wrong and then Fallout 76 brought them back down to reality.  Ex Dev also talks about the the conversation around how big Starfield should be.

Reading that interview still doesn't give me the good of a view of Bethesda. I mean their approach to constructing multiple worlds isn't good and the fact that he openly states it like there is nothing wrong with it is a problem. I haven't played a lot of Starfield but the worlds remind me of Mass Effect 1 except worse. While the explorable planets of ME1 were plagued repeated identical dungeon/structure layouts. There were still interesting quests from a narrative standpoint that took place there. Starfield comes off, for me, as a game that is 15 to 20 years old. 

eh, so I keep seeing clips of this cool trenchcoat-wearing "Noir" looking Spiderman costume that's in the game; I look forward to unlocking that, but each time I've seen the clip, the person playing is using that choppy animation style from the Spiderverse....ehhh I'm really hoping that's not just naturally part of using that outfit... it's likely a setting or option in general, I assume?  I say this because while I enjoyed the first Spiderverse movie (haven't seen the 2nd), that animation style is just ugly, imo.  That's not what I want to see in the context of a game...especially not a gorgeous current-gen one like this.  I'm not sure why anyone would enjoy that shit... it looks like something went wrong and several frames of animation are suddenly missing.

I did not expect world 1 of Super Mario Bros. Wonder to be as big as it is. The Dolphin Kick and being able to stomp enemies underwater makes me feel safer during times when I don't have a Fire Flower. 

I was THIS close to getting to Fire Field in F-ZERO 99 and completing the King League. I made a critical mistake: I boosted towards the finish line and sapped my energy meter. I was ready to cross that finish line when...

surprise threaten GIF

BOOM! I get KO'd by another player. I'm left staring back at the screen in disbelief. Add my name to Fraud Watch. On the upside, the player that KO'd me was struggling in near last place on Fire Field and they got me my badge for crashing out 50 times (yes, there is a badge for that). 

ah, from quick internet research, fortunately it's an OPTION in the game that can be turned off, apparently... see, look how ugly this shit is...

https://twinfinite.net/guides/spider-man-2-film-style-animation-comic-sfx-settings-explained-how-to-turn-them-on-off-what-they-do-more/

Nah, man....I don't understand how anyone could enjoy playing the rest of the game with that shyte.  It just looks "wrong", like some glitchy shit happened and you need to restart the game....except this is apparently a "feature".

Anyway, good thing you can turn it off; I was concerned at first since thought it might be tied to that particular "noir"-looking costume, which itself is a cool look... it gives me a roundabout way of imagining a game where I'm "The Shadow". (an extremely old hero that will sadly never get his own videogame.  The last movie was way back in 1990 or so; it's a forgotten character/IP at this point that may never be resurrected.)

Edited by MillionX

Star Ocean: The Second Story R launch trailer; Assault Actions, New Game+, and more detailed

Spoiler

Get the details below.

■ Characters

Bowman Jeane (voiced by Ryo Horikawa / Keiji Fujiwara)

“Every expedition needs an experience, knowledgeable scientist in the party, doesn’t it?”

Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R

An expert pharmacist and advice giver from Linga.

A man from Linga who runs a pharmacy with his wife Ninay. He supports his friends with his vast knowledge, using his martial arts, Qigong, and medical concoctions in combat.

Leon D.S. Gehste (voiced by Yuki Kaida / Yumiko Kobayashi)

“I’m fine by myself!”

A young genius researching symbology weapons.

A young prodigy who works on symbology weapons with his parents in the kingdom of Lacuer. A gifted symbologist, he casts darkness, water, and void magic to support his party from the rear.

Opera Vectra (voiced by Yuko Nagashima / Atsuko Tanaka)

“Sympathize with your enemy too much, it’ll come back to bite you.”

A visitor from space looking for her lover.

Heiress from the noble, illustrious Vectra family, hailing from the manmade planet Tetragenesis. The Tetrageniots are skilled in all types of machine tech, and Opera is no exception, wielding a symbology-powered gun called the Kaleidoscope.

Ernest Raviede (voiced by Hiroki Touchi)

“If you lived in the States, chances are you’ve heard of me.”

An archaeologist in love with the ancient world.

A renowned archaeologist and space-faring adventurer from the manmade planet Tetragenesis. As an adventurer, he’s well used to monster hunts and other rough business, and with his whip, he’s a proven fighter from mid-range.

Noel Chandler (voiced by Daisuke Sakaguchi / Daichu Mizushima)

“Only the strong survive. Isn’t that how it works?”

A zoologist seeking to coexist with animals.

A zoologist from Energy Nede who maintains an Endangered Species Protection Zone. Also a first-class symbologist capable of weaving together powerful spells.

Chisato Madison (voiced by Rumi Kasahara / Fuyuka Ono)

“Every man, woman, and child on Energy Nede is following your story right now!”

An enthusiastic news reporter who follows Claude’s party around.

A rookie reporter working for a newspaper in Energy Nede’s Centropolis. She follows Claude’s party around undercover, hoping to report on them and the Ten Wise Men that have reappeared in Nede. She’s mastered Jingu martial arts for self-defense.

Welch Vineyard (voiced by Tomoe Hanba)

“I’m trying to tell you that I can help you out, all right?”

A mysterious genius inventor.

A shady inventor Claude’s party encounters in Expel. Her background and purpose in Expel are unknown, but she seems to have a thing for love affairs, both her own or those of others. BLIGUST ONLY* She uses the baton in her hand to perform unexpected attacks in battle.

■ Ten Wise Men

A group with godlike powers who oppose Claude’s party.

A group of criminals plotting the destruction of the galaxy. They are actually ten living weapons created by Nedian symbol science. Surrounded by a special barrier, they are impervious to all normal attacks. Their own attacks are powered by skills based on each of their individual characteristics, boasting force that far outclasses any foes Claude and his allies have faced. They were sealed away by the Nedians, but after a certain incident, they’re once again moving to bring the galaxy to its knees.

Gabriel (voiced by Rikiya Koyama)

“There is no need anyone else but me… I could have completed it with or without the other Wise Men!”

The Doomsday Weapon.

The most powerful Wise Man, and the last one created. However, he is also unstable and cannot tap into his full combat potential, perhaps due to having Lantis and Philia’s thought routines implanted within him.

Lucifer (voiced by Shinichiro Miki)

“How does a one-way ticket to hell sound? The price? Your lives!”

The Observer.

The Wise Man tasked with watching over the others. He is meant to oversee and manage over the Wise Men so they don’t abandon their defensive mission and stage a rebellion. As a result, he is better at fighting and intelligence-gathering than the others, possessing great overall force.

Michael (voiced by Hiroki Touchi)

“How about we celebrate it by beating you to death?”

The Tactical Weapon.

A tactical weapon, created by combining Metatron, Jophiel, and Zaphkiel. His Spicule weapon boasts incredible, overwhelming firepower.

Haniel (voiced by Taiten Kusunoki)

“I think we’ll need to teach you that no matter how much you worms wiggle, you’re still nothing but worms in the end.”

The Public Controller.

Created by combining Raphael, Camael, and Zadkiel. Tasked with using intelligence to prevent uprisings among the populace.

Metatron (voiced by Kenji Hamada)

“Fools! Ah, very well. If you insist on getting in our way, I have no choice but to get rid of you.”

The Base Defense Weapon.

A special weapon designed for base defense. His knight-like body is covered in solid armor, granting protection that makes him suited for defensive duty.

Zaphkiel (voiced by Yasuhiro Mamiya)

“That’s the spirit. Let’s see whatcha got!”

The Close-Range Weapon.

A melee fighter in the form of a gigantic warrior. Geared for martial- arts combat, he also easily wields a sword the size of his own body.

Jophiel (voiced by Riki Kitazawa)

“I WANT TO SEE MORE PAIN, MORE SUFFERING!”

A weapon designed for long-range battles. He creates high-powered energy bolts in his body, firing them off at will. Highly mobile and capable in martial combat as well.

The Long-Range Weapon.

Zadkiel (voiced by Kiymoi Yazawa)

“My, my, how uncivilized. You people are just as underdeveloped as this planet, flying into a rage at the drop of a hat.”

The Data Gatherer.

A data-gathering type that uses his innocent, boyish looks to blend in with the general public.

Camael (voiced by Taketora)

“We’ve been expecting you for quite a while now.”

The Data Gatherer.

A data-gathering type that uses mind-control techniques in his duties. A powerful symbologist gifted in support roles.

Raphael (voiced by Haruo Sato)

“Ha ha. Thanks for the humor. Now die.”

The Data Analyst.

A data-analysis type that examines intelligence gathered by other units in order to formulate strategies. Can use the hyperspace zone in his body to attack.

■ Extra Feature: Assault Actions

Cameos from across the series?! Defeat past heroes to obtain their powers!

With the new “Assault Action” feature, protagonists from previous entries in the Star Ocean series come to your aid! Acquiring special in-game items called “Jewels” grants you the ability to summon each character. There are a number of different ways to acquire Jewels. Search high and low to see if you can find them.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R Star Ocean: The Second Story R

■ New Feature: New Game+

Now even easier to play, so you can reach all the different endings!

In Star Ocean: The Second Story R, you can select New Game+ from the title screen if you have a save file from after defeating the final boss. This allows you to start a new game whilst carrying over items and some other aspects from your first playthrough. You can use a save file with either Claude or Rena as the protagonist and chose either protagonist for the New Game+ playthrough.

• Items and Character Stats That Carry Over
    • Player level, SP/BP, and skill level.
    • Acquisition and upgrade status of skills.
    • Weapons, armor, and accessories.
    • FOL, key items, and all other items.
    • Friendship level of each character.
    • Completion rate of all encyclopedias, etc.
  • Aspects That Will Not Carry Over (That Will Be Reset)
    • Unlock status of Fast Travel points.
    • Psynard acquisition status.
    • Private Action progress.
    • Treasure chest acquisition status.
    • Key items related to the story and some other items.
    • Status of pickpocket usage.
    • Which Arts and Spells are equipped, etc.

Edited by AriesWarlock
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

it gives me a roundabout way of imagining a game where I'm "The Shadow". (an extremely old hero that will sadly never get his own videogame.  The last movie was way back in 1990 or so; it's a forgotten character/IP at this point that may never be resurrected.)

Incorrect

The Shadow DID get a video game adaptation by when the movie came out, but as was par for the course back then....it was a generic beat em up

The_Shadow_box_art.jpg

Huh...as it turns out, this game was cancelled when it was practically finished. Weird, considering I saw a couple of magazine walkthroughs back in the day