Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Shift from quantity to quality, aggressive multiplatform strategy, and more.

Spoiler

The goal of this business plan is to overcome the challenges faced in its previous medium-term business plan, including low profitability of its high-definition games sub-segment, a slowdown in the games for smart devices and PC browsers sub-segment, insufficient franchise-by-franchise portfolio management, and some gaps in Square Enix’s management infrastructure.

The four pillars of its new business plan are as follows:

Pillar Initiative
(1) Enhance productivity by optimizing the development footprint in the Digital Entertainment (DE) segment. Focus on development of titles delivering “Fun” that only the Group can create and build the development structure.
(2) Diversify earnings opportunities by strengthening customer contact points. Shift to a multiplatform strategy. Building continuous customer contact points of our titles by stepping up digital sales. Create the interaction with customers by increasing sophistication of publishing function. Generating the opportunity of new revenue by offering IP across a range of entertainment experiences.
(3) Roll out initiatives to create additional foundational stability. Rebuild overseas business divisions from the ground up. Introducing policies on organization and human resource allocation in Japan. Enhance business infrastructure by implementing PDCA cycle in a timely and appropriate manner.
(4) Strike a balance between shareholder return and growth investment when allocating capital. Earmarks a maximum of ¥100 billion for total strategic investments over a three-year period (¥20 billion earmarked for share buybacks for the next one year).
By driving a new medium-term business plan, we will shift from quantity to quality and evolve to deliver a variety of contents that ensure “Fun” all over the world.

The full breakdown of each pillar is as follows:

(1) Enhance productivity by optimizing the development footprint in the Digital Entertainment (DE) segment

(2) Diversify earnings opportunities by strengthening customer contact points

(3) Roll out initiatives to create additional foundational stability

(4) Allocate capital giving consideration to the balance between growth investments and shareholder returns

(1) Enhance productivity by optimizing the development footprint in the Digital Entertainment (DE) segment

• Shift from quantity to quality
      • The Group (Square Enix) will pursue a shift from quantity to quality as its medium- to long-term philosophy regarding the DE segment’s portfolio. To that end, it will first work to establish the optimal portfolio, striking a balance between a “product-out” approach that reflects the imaginations of its employees to the utmost, and a “market-in” approach that leverages customers’ voices and data to inform development efforts. It will strive for a regular launch cadence, focusing its development efforts and investments on titles with substantial potential to be loved by customers for years.
    • Focus on development of titles delivering “Fun” that only the Group can create
      • With the goal of developing titles that deliver unforgettable experiences to customers and ensure excitement, the Group intends to focus on the following points. First, mindful of the need to launch HD titles that help attract additional fans to the Group, the Group will regularly release AAA titles in its major franchises to maintain and build upon its fan base. In addition, the Group will strive to increase its success rate in SD games by launching a carefully curated selection of titles. It will additionally explore ways to leverage its rich library of IP.
    • Establish an internal development footprint that brings “Fun” that only the Group can create
      • The Group will retire its business unit-based organizational design and strive to establish an operationally integrated organization with the goal of revamping its internal title development footprint and bringing more capabilities in-house. In addition, while keeping balance between the creativity of its individual employees and the management centered on the organization, the Group will transition to a project management structure. To that end, the Group will redefine the mission for producers and other related employees and organize its internal supporting structure. Also, the Group will improve its development investment efficiency, by reviewing the overall management process of title development.

(2) Diversify earnings opportunities by strengthening customer contact points

• Shift to a multiplatform strategy
      • For HD titles, the Group will aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs. Especially, in regards to major franchises and AAA titles including catalog titles, it will build an environment where more customers can enjoy our titles. In addition, it will also devise a platform strategy for SD titles that includes not only iOS and Android, but also the possibility of PC launches. Furthermore, the Group will strive to maximize the acquisition of new users when launching a title and that of recurring users after starting management of game operation.
    • Building continuous customer contact points of our titles by stepping up digital sales
      • The Group will strengthen user flow of digital sales of new titles at the time of launch regarding the initiatives of promotion. In addition, it will generate the opportunity of generating revenue in our rich catalog titles’ line-up, which leads to strengthen its earnings base by expanding sales of catalog titles. Moreover, the Group will engage in initiatives which focus on the acquisition of PC users.
    • Create the interaction with customers by increasing sophistication of publishing function
      • The Group will pursue integrated sales & marketing operations in Japan and make efficiency of publishing by consolidating the marketing functions that were previously spread across creative business units, expanding shared knowledge, and eliminating duplicate functions. Also, it creates a new reporting line in order to enhance collaboration between sales and marketing functions. It will also address the increasing sophistication of marketing by leveraging first-party data, including through the utilization of CRM solutions and data analytics, when developing an ad campaign for HD and SD titles.
    • Generating the opportunity of new revenue by offering IP across a range of entertainment experiences
      • The Group will pursue a cross-media strategy capable of approaching new markets. Specifically, it will expand area of license business by establishing a new department focusing on IP business development at global markets. In addition, it will build an organization which makes more active use of its IP by offering it across all media formats. The Group also hopes to generate synergies by integrating the organizations affiliated with its Merchandising segment.

(3) Roll out initiatives that create greater foundational stability

• Rebuild overseas business divisions from the ground up
      • The Group has begun optimizing costs at its European and American offices via structural reforms. It will also promote intra-Group collaboration in Japan and abroad and strengthen the functions of its London development site. For example, the Group intends to work to strengthen the close collaboration between its divisions in Japan (creative studios and publishing) and to enable greater mobility of talent between them and the Group’s publishing functions overseas.
    • Revamp policies on human resource allocation & investment to balance both “creativity and productivity” in Japan
      • The Group will build its flat organization by increasing opportunities of promotion by selection in order to pursue a new talent at our company and streamlining the process of decision-making. Specifically, it will roll out a new human resources system in line with integrated management of development functions, building a new system for hiring, promotion, and appointment of management. Moreover, the Group will rebuild training system for new graduates and introduce internal education programs to enhance capabilities of junior and mid-level employees.
    • Enhance business infrastructure by implementing PDCA cycle in a timely and appropriate manner
      • The Group will pursue refining its management accounting system that enables greater visibility into business activities. In addition, the Group will not only make infrastructure enhancements that maximize the productivity of its employees under hybrid-working system, but also build its attractive office environment that helps unleash creativity for its development teams.

(4) Allocate capital giving consideration to the balance between growth investments and shareholder returns

The Group has formulated a capital allocation policy that gives consideration to the balance between growth investment and shareholder return, earmarking a maximum of ¥100 billion for total strategic investments (growth investments or shareholder returns) over a three-year period.

As regards growth investments, the Group will carefully select investment opportunities that contribute to the enhancement of corporate value and will utilize insights from its own businesses. It will explore the possibility of undertaking inorganic investments designed to expand its business domains and create greater stability.

Meanwhile, to reward its shareholders, the Group will issue regular dividends based on a basic policy of achieving a dividend payout ratio of 30%. In addition, in a change from its previous approach to capital allocation, the Group has set aside ¥20 billion for the funding of potential repurchases of its own shares to be executed flexibly between May 14, 2024 and May 13, 2025 based on consideration of factors including strategic investment opportunities, the Group’s financial position, and its share price. The firm has also revised the breakdown of its per-share dividends (interim dividend and year-end dividend).

Through these initiatives, the Group will strive to further enhance its corporate value.

11 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Shift from quantity to quality, aggressive multiplatform strategy, and more.

People are taking all this out of context or just flat out wrong and they’re making console warrior nonsense out of it. It’s so fucking annoying.

over 90% of Squares modern library is already multi-platform. Exclusivity deals hasn’t hurt Square. What hurt square is all of their titles (all of which have sold within or over internal expectations) haven’t made up for all their shitty investments over the years or the lack of growth in other areas. 

They lost their ass on Avengers and are still recovering. Same with Forespoken. Same with Foamstars. They over paid for a bunch of studios they sold at massive losses. They lost their asses on non-essential AI programs, Block Chains and NFTs, the projects they’ve cancelled were due to bloated budgets or personnel leaving. Their mobile gaming division also saw little to no return which is why they keep dialing back on it. Not to mention lack of grown in FFXI and FFXIV. 

Pretty much everything else BUT exclusivity is causing Square to restructure. They just worded it poorly. 

Posted (edited)

ha, MultiVersus.... remember when they had to change that 1 special where Velma could call the police on an enemy.... and they changed it because that sets up a scenario where you have a white female character (heh, back before Mindy K's show made her a brown girl) calling the cops on a black male character 🤣  That shit cracked me up, man... this era of gaming is comedy gold for so many reasons.

*in fact, I'm sure I still have that picture saved with Velma calling the police car to get Lebron.

...on another random note---I've been playing Hades a lot on Steam Deck the past few days; that game is pretty damn tough, imo... it took a while just to start beating the FIRST boss consistently.  I've noticed other fans downplaying the greatness of the spear and I'm not sure why----it was wayyyy superior to that dumbass sword.  I'm getting used to the bow/arrows and the shield weapon lately though, and just unlocked the fists.  The 2nd boss (Bone Hydra) is completely ridiculous though; I haven't beaten that one yet; not even close.

Edited by MillionX

The Soulslike comment is interesting cuz what does he mean by Soulslike? It's thrown around so casualy these days, does he mean check points? Does he mean action rpgs? Does he mean adventure games?  A limited but refilling health potion system? Stat allocation? 

What does he mean exactly? I've seen Zelda called a Souls-Like recently. Yea figure that one out lol. 

5 hours ago, iStu X said:

People are taking all this out of context or just flat out wrong and they’re making console warrior nonsense out of it. It’s so fucking annoying.

over 90% of Squares modern library is already multi-platform. Exclusivity deals hasn’t hurt Square. What hurt square is all of their titles (all of which have sold within or over internal expectations) haven’t made up for all their shitty investments over the years or the lack of growth in other areas. 

They lost their ass on Avengers and are still recovering. Same with Forespoken. Same with Foamstars. They over paid for a bunch of studios they sold at massive losses. They lost their asses on non-essential AI programs, Block Chains and NFTs, the projects they’ve cancelled were due to bloated budgets or personnel leaving. Their mobile gaming division also saw little to no return which is why they keep dialing back on it. Not to mention lack of grown in FFXI and FFXIV. 

Pretty much everything else BUT exclusivity is causing Square to restructure. They just worded it poorly. 

It is funny/sad how the same shit (bad investments and planning) that caused them to have to merge with Enix back in the day is what is hurting them now. 

Posted (edited)

I'm just now realizing they brought this game back

I remember renting this back in the day on the first Playstation... the game was pretty funny because one of the enemies was legs/ass.....yes, a creature that was just a booty with legs... no torso or face...the booty was the "face" and it attacked by farting at you 🤣  I forgot if there was shit involved but pretty sure it had a fart attack.  I don't remember much else about the game....it seemed pretty damn tough as well; I never got far in the game.  It's on the Switch eShop right now.

ah it's on Steam as well so I might get it on Steam Deck then

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2697470/POed_Definitive_Edition/

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

The Soulslike comment is interesting cuz what does he mean by Soulslike? It's thrown around so casualy these days, does he mean check points? Does he mean action rpgs? Does he mean adventure games?  A limited but refilling health potion system? Stat allocation? 

What does he mean exactly? I've seen Zelda called a Souls-Like recently. Yea figure that one out lol. 

Imo the difference is the feel of a 3d action game like DMC vs even a more robust combat game that is clearly influenced by Souls games and that kind of combat. The characters just feel real fast and like you could do damn near anything on a dime whereas games that are souls influenced, the characters feel heavier.

Speak of, I finished up the last Gauntlet in Sekiro today and all that's left is Mortal Journey which is SEVENTEEN bosses all back to back. I think I have a pretty good handle on all the main bosses, but the Inner bosses I'm not so sure and I'm not sure I want to get 15 bosses in and get rekt.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Imo the difference is the feel of a 3d action game like DMC vs even a more robust combat game that is clearly influenced by Souls games and that kind of combat. The characters just feel real fast and like you could do damn near anything on a dime whereas games that are souls influenced, the characters feel heavier.

So is Dragons Dogma a Souls-Like? The character in that have always felt very heavy and deliberate with few cancels and a need to follow through most animations. No one in that series turns on a dime. 

On the other hand Nioh Characters can move and dance around the field with very little commitment to anything and at times make DMC style characters look slow, but that game series has clearly taken a lot of inspuration from the Souls games...

My point was less "what does Souls mean to you" and more "Would you just say what you mean instead of using vague genre lables that barely mean anything to the people who use them." Like just say you want more fast paced action games, or you want more rigid mission structure or just anything but "I want less of an entire genre" thats actually super fucking broad and so you haven't actually told us anything. Maybe he just means he would like more games to have an easy mode. Really dunno because "Souls-Like" can mean so many things. People call Sekiro a Souls-Like and youre pretty agile in that. 

Edited by RSG3
9 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Speak of, I finished up the last Gauntlet in Sekiro today and all that's left is Mortal Journey which is SEVENTEEN bosses all back to back. I think I have a pretty good handle on all the main bosses, but the Inner bosses I'm not so sure and I'm not sure I want to get 15 bosses in and get rekt.

Mortal journey world take too goddamn long. 

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So is Dragons Dogma a Souls-Like? The character in that have always felt very heavy and deliberate with few cancels and a need to follow through most animations. No one in that series turns on a dime. 

On the other hand Nioh Characters can move and dance around the field with very little commitment to anything and at times make DMC style characters look slow, but that game series has clearly taken a lot of inspuration from the Souls games...

My point was less "what does Souls mean to you" and more "Would you just say what you mean instead of using vague genre lables that barely mean anything to the people who use them." Like just say you want more fast paced action games, or you want more rigid mission structure or just anything but "I want less of an entire genre" thats actually super fucking broad and so you haven't actually told us anything. Maybe he just means he would like more games to have an easy mode. Really dunno because "Souls-Like" can mean so many things. People call Sekiro a Souls-Like and youre pretty agile in that. 

I've never played DD but even the Nioh character didn't feel quite as agile as Dante or Bayo do and they aren't games where the fight scenes are supposed to be like a martial arts movie like in a stylish action combat game.

Souls style has influenced a ton of games at this point and it's one of those "you know it when you see it" type of things. You see a game where you have to rest at an object to allocate stat points, upgrade weapons like you do in souls, etc, you know where that's coming from.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Souls-lke is the new Metroidvania. @RSG3has a point. It gets slapped onto too many games to the point of the descriptor being meaningless. Is the game 3D with slightly unforgiving combat? Souls Like. Do you have to save at camp sites? Souls Like. *shrugs*

I think most people would agree that souls like is a game with
Stamina
Slow paced fights
A some what limited combat options when compared to a character action game like DMC/Bayo
RPG elements (but not always)
Emphasis on exploration (A 3d metroidvania if you will)
Tough encounters
(Optional) Most if not all enemies towering over you to give the David vs Goliath vibe.

At least from that tweet, I feel that it is what is meant to be.

If we go to Steam, you will find that most action games nowdays have a lot of those elements on them.
Which is fine to me, but I can see how fans of other type of action games will feel burned out.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So is Dragons Dogma a Souls-Like?

I say no.
The 3d world is way more open ended than any of the souls/borne games.
The combat options are way more robust and open for the player.
The monster encounters are less tough in general imo.
They share some elements dues being action games, but the over all vibe of the game is rather distinct.

Most souls games have other elements tied to them besides the stamina bar.
Those conventions make the "genre" rather obvious.

Kind of how when you can tell a game has the conventions of a character action game has, like DMC and Bayo.
Or how a Musou has certain elements that make them obvious.

Yes, the souls like term is at times thrown on games that don't really have much to do with what with most people will say is a soulslike game, but that doesn't mean that there are certain conventions tied to the games that make them unique and easy to identify.

Heck, even on the character action game, you can have 2 branches depending if the game is more like Bayo/DMC or if the game is more like God of War.

The thing with genres is that while they have defining features, you can play with them and explore them in different directions.

Soulslikes after all are Action RPGs for the most part (And with Sekiro, we can say the RPG element can be optional).
But is how their elements have been codified in a group of games that makes them very distinct from other action rpgs that has made them a genre on themselves.

Hence why it is made a distinction between them and other action RPGs.
Since is more easy to make clear what kind of action RPGs we are talking about.

If I just say that I like ARPGs, but I am talking something like FFXVI which has more in common with DMC than with BloodBorne, if I am asking recommendations for more ARPGs and just get Soulslike games, I wouldn't necessarily find those recommendations useful.

Edited by Hecatom
Posted (edited)

I've seen people call Stellar Blade a Souls-like game and I just don't see it. I mean maybe at the very beginning before you unlock a lot the skill tree, but I still think that's  a stretch. Of course I only played the original Demon Souls and a little bit of Dark Souls, so my recollection could be off. I'm hardly a top tier gamer and Stellar Blade doesn't seem difficult enough to draw that comparison.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

On the topic of Genres/Subgenres.

I would say that is more easy to see them as something that grow naturally as we get more  exponents within a genre.

Once you have a good amount within a genre with similar conventions you can say that it can become necessary to have a label to make a distinction between them and other exponents.

3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've seen people call Stellar Blade a Souls-like game and I don't just don't see it. I mean maybe at the very beginning before you unlock a lot the skill tree, but I still think that's  a stretch. Of course I only played the original Demon Souls and a little bit of Dark Souls, so my recollection could be off. I'm hardly a top tier gamer and Stellar Blade doesn't seem difficult enough to draw that comparison.

There will always be people who will misuse the labels and try to slap it on everything that remotely resembles the genre they are talking about. Which you can say, defeats the purpose of having genres, since makes it difficult to communicate properly what we are grouping on the collection we are making a genre.

Is something that I see happen often on the metal scene.

It doesn't help that people don't understand the differences between Meta Genres, Genres, Sub Genres, Themes/Sound, etc.

Keeping it with the music thing.

On metal, you see people saying that Viking metal is a genre.

When it is really a theme that can be found on multiple bands across different genres.
The same with White Metal.
Or how Melodic/Symphonic are not genres, but sounds that a band/song can have within a genre/sub genre.
The same how Progressive is a meta genre, that can be a qualitative indicative of the type of song writing that is independent of the genres.

Hence why we can have something like
Progressive Orchestral Symphonic White-Roman Power-Blackened Death Metal 🤣

Sounds dumb.
But you usually only bother to go this far when going for specifics.

And most of the time, there are better ways to make it more simple to understand when typifying subjects, depending of the notations/presentation you have within the communities, sites, etc

For many people just saying Prog death will suffice.
For others, you can say Prog death with Symphonic elements.

And for people that want to know the types of lyrics, you could go and add the white (aka christian) roman part.

Convoluted, maybe, but you go as far is needs to depending of how much is needed depending of the context.

Posted (edited)

I've never played DD but even the Nioh character didn't feel quite as agile as Dante or Bayo do and they aren't games where the fight scenes are supposed to be like a martial arts movie like in a stylish action combat game.

I strongly strongly disagree with you. Once you know what your doing you can make Dante amd Vergil movement look pretty slow (minis their teleports). 

Souls style has influenced a ton of games at this point and it's one of those "you know it when you see it" type of things. You see a game where you have to rest at an object to allocate stat points, upgrade weapons like you do in souls, etc, you know where that's coming from.

Do you know it when you see it? Can something be known while being almost undefinable? Checkpoints for powering up isn't really a Souls thing, it's just a checkpoint system. Are you defining the Souls genre by checkpoints you can do shit at? 

"I can't define it but I know what it is when I see it" is the pathetic argument the courts used for Porn lmao. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I say no

I agree 1000%

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

The 3d world is way more open ended than any of the souls/borne games.

Elden Rings just as open as any Dragons Dogma game is, and as far as combat options I would say Elden Ring has way way more build potential then DD does, but DD1 let's you take more skills into battle. DD2 is pretty damn limiting compared to 1 and I would say is on part, option wise, with any Souls game. DD2s build variety is pretty disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've seen people call Stellar Blade a Souls-like game and I don't just don't see it.

That's the only genre I've seen anyone stick it in, and based on everything I've seen it doesn't qualify outside being an action rpg with a camp site. It's as Souls-Like as Sekiro is is which is barely at all. 

My hot take for the day is that the majority of music sub genres are fucking stupid lol. 

Edited by RSG3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I strongly strongly disagree with you. Once you know what your doing you can make Dante amd Vergil movement look pretty slow (minis their teleports). 

Do you know it when you see it? Can something be known while being almost undefinable? Checkpoints for powering up isn't really a Souls thing, it's just a checkpoint system. Are you defining the Souls genre by checkpoints you can do shit at? 

"I can't define it but I know what it is when I see it" is the pathetic argument the courts used for Porn lmao. 

I agree

It isn't any one element, it's usually combinations of elements grouped together that Souls games made it popular to include in modern games. I agree that the term is probably applied to games that don't deserve it, but From has been a giant in terms of influence of design decisions for the last 10+ years so a lot of companies have co-opted design elements that are familiar if you've played those games.

I've only played the first Nioh game but even just watching that video you posted, it's a night and day difference between that and some of the combo mad videos from games like Bayo, Ninja Gaiden, DMC, and even Lords Of Shadow. Which isn't to say that Nioh combat is bad, it's just not the same thing as a 3d stylish character action game because it's influenced by From games' combat.

Edited by DoctaMario