Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Back in my day we had to tick before throw!

You know what always bothered me with Mortal Kombat?

First, I feel like the MK designs would look way better if done in a comic book style, because the original MK games never really did anything to me but every time I run into some of the old comic books or even just the last animated movie they made I feel like the designs work so much better in those styles. I feel like realism really takes away from the effectiveness of MK designs.

Second, ever since they decided to go for tamer designs for the girls in MK11 because of "realism" and because tits are a greater societal evil than gratuitous gore I guess, there was this thing that I thought was hilarious where the cosplayers, actual real people, regularly outdid the designs that were in the game, the fictional world where the only limit is the artist's creativity. Like, if you look back at the reveal party they threw for MK11 you can see a Scorpion cosplayer with her tits out, a Jade cosplayer with a MK9 costume on, which means she's basically in a bathing suit, I think there was also a female Shao Khan cosplayer with similarly little on, all while Skarlet was on screen for the presentation looking like she just got approved for streaming on ESPN Arabia.

I hope they can improve on visual design a little in the new game, but I'm skeptical.

45 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I hope they can improve on visual design a little in the new game, but I'm skeptical.

The problem in some areas is that the fan service is all some designs have going for them. That or them going out of their way to force panty shots into everything.

Your fight isn't with people like me so much as the crowd that thinks its either a character has a thong on with a camel toe in the front while the triple D titties are having out with pasties or its woke SJW shit.

If dudes can't jerk off to the in game models then its feminism in video games. Its fucking weird.

22 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The problem in some areas is that the fan service is all some designs have going for them. That or them going out of their way to force panty shots into everything.

Your fight isn't with people like me so much as the crowd that thinks its either a character has a thong on with a camel toe in the front while the triple D titties are having out with pasties or its woke SJW shit.

If dudes can't jerk off to the in game models then its feminism in video games. Its fucking weird.

Fanservice aside, I'd just prefer if they moved away from realism or at least tried to experiment a little with it so it doesn't look as boring. That's regardless of thongs and big tiddies, it goes for the entire art design.

I've seen the kind of people you're talking about. They pop out in Eventhubs' comment sections every once in a while and seem firmly convinced that SF6 is "woke" because Trinity is in the game, Marisa is buff and they think Manon's face looks ugly from certain angles, nevermind that the game is filled to the brim with jiggle physics and appealing to every kind of fetish possible. I think they're suffering from a terminal stage of culture wars-induced brainrot.

Back in the day there was only one brand of idiots that used to be annoying, now there's two of them.

5 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Fanservice aside, I'd just prefer if they moved away from realism or at least tried to experiment a little with it so it doesn't look as boring. That's regardless of thongs and big tiddies, it goes for the entire art design.

That's never going to happen. MK and realism go hand in hand because the gore has to be realistic enough to evoke a visceral reaction from general audiences.

Save your breath to make sure SF doesn't become anymore realistic than what SF6 has shown us.

I know it's Mortal Kombat and all but man, they're really uping the gore even more. I have nothing against it, but I really wish they would try to go back to the more simple fatalities of the first 4 games. Quick and to the point always felt better. It would take creativity to actually make the simple finishing moves more grand and cinematic. Kano ripping a heart out bare handed or Sub-Zero ripping a spine straight out always felt more visceral than all this goofy shit.

You can do goofy stuff in Story Mode, but of course, in story mode all characters are portrayed as these conflicted individuals who are struggling between good and evil... then next thing Johnny is blowing up a hole in his daughter's chest. Like, either have the good guys be good guys, or go ham with it. It's not like between hordes of monsters and demons invading your home they don't have an excuse to blow off some limbs with they martial arts magic powers.

Also, good remider that the original MK movie was great, is a beloved classic and that had 0 gore in it, so the idea that MK wouldn't work if they toned that shit down is assinine.

But of course, the easy sell is to up the ante... To have such a cool cast and do nothing cool with it for a decade, except come up with new flashy ways to off eachother while the story has gone to shit is criminal. 

Lo and behold, Liu Kang will probably turn evil again, Injustice Superman style, crapping all over the little good that came out of the shitshow that was MK11.

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

That's never going to happen. MK and realism go hand in hand because the gore has to be realistic enough to evoke a visceral reaction from general audiences.

Save your breath to make sure SF doesn't become anymore realistic than what SF6 has shown us.

Honestly? After some thinking I came to the conclusion that the gore and violence would also look better and be cooler if they went for stylization over realism.

They wouldn't have to traumatize their own developers by making them reference liveleak tier of real gore and it could be just as effective if not more, because you don't have to look at actual human viscera in order to make cool looking fictional violence. If anything, I thought the violence ended up being actually kind of disappointing in 11, in spite of all the work and apparently misery that went into it. But then again, with photorealism the shock factor is easy to achieve, while with stylization you actually have to work for it and it might fall flat if badly executed, and now they're also stuck having to compete with their own previous entries in terms of intensity.

But let's look at the bright side: I remember reading that some NRS developers could never look at their dogs without imagining their insides after being crunched on MK11, but at least they waited until Sindel's release to put those naughty immoral tits back in. Thank goodness for that!

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Honestly? After some thinking I came to the conclusion that the gore and violence would also look better and be cooler if they went for stylization over realism.

Honestly Jamie's CA in SF6 feels much more visceral than any Fatality I can remember for that same reason. Seeing the opponent's muscles tense when he touches their throat, the look of fear on their face made me wince more than all the eye gouging and face ripping in the recent MK games imo.

13 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Honestly Jamie's CA in SF6 feels much more visceral than any Fatality I can remember for that same reason. Seeing the opponent's muscles tense when he touches their throat, the look of fear on their face made me wince more than all the eye gouging and face ripping in the recent MK games imo.

MK11's fatalities may be a bit much combined with modern graphics, but they definitely made me wince more than Jamie's super.

I don't think there's anything wince-worthy about it at all tbh.  It's pretty tame by most anime/kung-fu movie standards.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

I don't think there's anything wince-worthy about it at all tbh.

I'm a very big and oh-so brave man, but I'm really fucking squeamish; I recoil at a stab wound, and gore makes me wince, a tonne. Think it might be to do with severe boiling water burns I had as a kid (I'm fine, it was my foot. I'm not quite Two Face) - that open wound had to be mopped out  three times a week. Still makes me shudder, but Jamie's seems just nasty enough.

Edited by JustBooming
48 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I get the joke but what I find more funny is people calling PS5 and Xbox Series "next gen". They current gen. Next get is PS6, Xbox (Insert Stupid Name here), and Switch 2.

I think that's due to the fact that there have been very few "current gen" games so far, and even the usual Sony blockbusters have been cross-gen stuff, like the latest Horizon and God of War Ragnarok. I think the only real current gen games I have on my PS5 are Demon's Souls Remake and Ratchet and Clank, everything is either cross-gen with PS4 or a PS4 game playing in retro-compatibility.

Several years into the current generation and it still feel like it has yet to begin. Covid really screwed things up.

4 hours ago, Dracu said:

I know it's Mortal Kombat and all but man, they're really uping the gore even more. I have nothing against it, but I really wish they would try to go back to the more simple fatalities of the first 4 games.

It’s simple now, but that shit was like MK11 to them back in the day. There was some undeniable goofiness to some of the earlier game’s fatalities (BEHOLD! Jax’s greatest finisher!), but it was always seen as shocking. Kano’s heart rip had a grip on America so bad that it led to the creation of the ESRB. The series built itself on shock factor and since people won’t turn their eyes to a simple heart rip anymore, they have to be more extra with it’s fatalities.

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

This is something I can’t agree enough of. I always think of the Super Special Moves of Samurai Shodown (2019) when I think about a “finishing” move. They are relatively short, fits with the characters doing it, and most importantly, look cool as hell even after seeing it multiple times. 

Shizumaru’s SSM leaves more of an impact on me than most of MK11’s and the opponent isn’t shown for 95% of it.

If I get it great, if I don't great.

Not gonna sweat it since I'm sure some nonsense will happen to stop me from being able to play. Tomorrow night my wife has a school event, then who knows what'll happen during the day saturday and sunday might be a blow up.

Next weekend the new GG character drops. The day he drops is my daughter's kinder graduation, then the next day its work and my wife's end of year concert, then the saturday I have other shit to do and well all fuck it.

😂

5 hours ago, Neclord said:

Regarding titties and MK "tamer" designs: Well, Cammy and Chun have smaller boobs now in SF6. Thanks Ed Boon... 🙄

Tbh i like in SF6 they returned to try give distinctive proportions to waifus compared to SFV, where inflatable doll boobs were spammed bit everywhere 

1 hour ago, Neclord said:

Nah joke, in RL smaller bewbs usually have more advantages over bigger boobs. 

Fellow man of culture 🍷