Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Mena Won Evo Japan!

I’ll be honest I wasn’t the hypest about this game after playing the demo and watching videos. But after 1 day on the beta I’m ready for it. I just kept playing match after match. 

I still have some things I’m worried about but it feels good to know there’s a fighting game I’ll be able to really put some time into. 

I will not be sticking with Kimberly she’s okay but she’s just not for me. Right now I’m really considering Honda mainly because he’s straightforward and dumps damage.  

Kimberly really seems tedious to get any solid damage going. This game requires you to be on point reactions wise so I’m playing whoever’s simple .

23 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

This is what I’ve been doing except that no matter how empty a server I pick I get interrupted by people wanting to run sets forever lol.

Go to an empty server, then go to the cabs in the back right corner (“extreme battle” I think?) then train there. Nobody ever goes over to those cabs and you can train uninterrupted. I did it for a couple hours yesterday and nobody bothered me.

Edited by Vhozite

Played exactly 100 matches, which I think is a good place to stop. Overall it's fun, whether it'll become a favourite or not, time will tel. But it's easier to appreciate than SFV right off the bat due to its higher production values and the playfulness of everything. You can really feel that they care when playing or even just browsing the menus.

I've also come to enjoy Chun a bit more than in the beginning. There's lots of potential in her stance switch but it also makes her super susceptible to random Drive Impacts.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Go to an empty server, then go to the cabs in the back right corner (“extreme battle” I think?) then train there. Nobody ever goes over to those cabs and you can train uninterrupted. I did it for a couple hours yesterday and nobody bothered me.

This has hella "forgotten corner of the arcade" energy, like where they stuck the last WW cab after CE came out with its full row of "I got next" quarters on the bezel. 😂 

Think right now my two biggest complaints are...Ryu should probably have a faster walkspeed and that when you Air-to-Air people they seem to land a lot faster than they should so they usually come in mashing.

Kimberly's run animation should probably have a clearer animation to it. Feels like all the motion blur means you react to somebody taking an eraser to the screen rather than any movement. Gonna take a min to get used to not having any type of plus frames. Feels like everybody is always mashing (MR FUCKING BEE THAT SCRUB) whenever they get touched in any way, shape or form.

🤔

I honestly don’t think I’ve had so much fun playing Street Fighter. I thoroughly enjoyed playing Alpha 3, but SF6 just feels great man. Not only that but I’ve changed my mind about how I play. I’ve always been ultra competitive and after a string of losses in ranked I’d be really angry, especially in my teenage years.

But into the end of SFV and transitioning to SF6, I’m learning where I’m overextending or not taking advantage better because I’m playing with a clear head. Playing to win is great, but inevitably leads to disappointment. Playing for fun is now the very first goal, if I get a win awesome; win or lose if I come out of a match and I’m still happy, I always win.

45 minutes ago, Sonero said:

when you Air-to-Air people they seem to land a lot faster than they should so they usually come in mashing.

There is definitely some funkiness with air to air stuff. Thankfully a few characters have ways to knockdown from that scenario (Ken/Ryu j.mp, air throws) so you don’t always have to deal with it if you don’t want to. 

49 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Gonna take a min to get used to not having any type of plus frames. Feels like everybody is always mashing (MR FUCKING BEE THAT SCRUB) whenever they get touched in any way

I knew it was gonna be like this early on bc it’s real similar to MK11 where after blocking shit you know is minus you gotta be ready to take your turn. No priority system, almost everything minus, and super accessible frame data means mashing is a good bet pretty often and everyone knows it.

Personally I really like it because it means hitting buttons in someone’s face needs to be much more calculated vs SFV where you get in their face and immediately go into the s.mp frame trap offense 90% of the roster has. You want someone to block your minus attacks you gotta condition them with something super tight like chained jabs or manipulate your spacing to catch their retaliatory button. You want plus frames you gotta burn meter or use an attack with some drawbacks like Chun s.mp which is plus on block but also has shit horizontal range. 

Is Jamie's dp kind of bad or am I doing it at the wrong timing? 

There are times where I try to dp and it gets stuffed by attacks  to the point where I just block jump ins instead of trying to dp anti airs. 

Edited by Edmund
2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Is Jamie's dp kind of bad or am I doing it at the wrong timing? 

There are times where I try to dp and it gets stuffed by attacks  to the point where I just block jump ins instead of trying to dp anti airs. 

I think it might be a little on the slow side.  I've been using light kick DP for that reason, maybe EX is faster but I haven't tried that yet.  

5 hours ago, Sonero said:

ST CPU T.Hawk has that SNK Boss Syndrome energy to him. Shit is crazy.

I kept trying to punish his blocked Condor Dive with drill and that shyt wasn't happening.

4 hours ago, Counterstrike said:

I never realized Turbo was this ridiculous back in the day lol! Every CPU you  fight is an input reading whore! I only only beat two people and i was like nah ive had enuff of this shit !

Me neither. It wasn't until I played 30th Anniversary that I realized how ridiculously OP the CPU is.

I played a whole lot of HD Remix back in the day and that doesn't even come close.

I used Ken almost exclusively for the beta since he is approachable and a character I’ve liked in the past. 

Thoughts on him specifically 

Spoiler

As mentioned I like how the approachable he is. He still has the shoto gameplay for vets and coming from SFV specifically a lot of his tools have carried over to this game. Very similar set of normals, similar combos, run, Dragon slash seems like an expansion of VS2, good corner carry, etc. He’s not 1-1 from SFV so you can’t play him exactly the same, but there are enough similarities to get you started. 

His SFV look was my favorite for him so aesthetically I wasn’t a huge fan of the fugitive look, but he’s grown on me. His huge shoes look goofy but also kinda cool. Even while on the run he’s still cocky. His character theme isn’t too bad and like I said it’s grown on me a bit. Most important his hair is orders of magnitude better than SFV there is no contest. 

I have 3 main complaints with him.

1. Gonna sound like a nitpick but I hate his SA1. The final part of the animation looks goofy and has Ken flying through the air like he’s suspended by wires in a low budget martial arts film. Functionally the super is invincible but at least twice I tried to use it as a reversal against a raw super (Guile lvl one) and it lost clean. 

2. His s.hk seems…not good. Extremely slow startup and recovery, poor reward on hit, punish counter can be difficult to capitalize on, very minus, etc. Other than a couple pixels extra range his s.mk seems much better. I started doing significantly better once I used s.hk less lol. 

3. For a character that feels very much transplanted from the last game he did lose some buttons. There is a big gap where his old s.mp used to be and he doesn’t have a normal overhead (or the feint) anymore. 

Overall he’s not my cup of tea but I could use him and still enjoy SF6 while waiting for DLC if by some tragedy I didn’t click with anyone else in the base game.

Hot take but I almost feel like they left the grapplers out of the beta on purpose. Knowing everybody is spamming drive impact and getting spd’d would have the pitchforks out for grapplers. 

And I also noticed some weird a2a interactions with Kimberly’s tatsu and super lvl2.  Not sure how bushin style tatsu interacted in other games but there were lots of times where unless I did the overdrive tatsu or caught them at a specific angle it would trade or straight up lose the interaction.

3 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Hot take but I almost feel like they left the grapplers out of the beta on purpose. Knowing everybody is spamming drive impact and getting spd’d would have the pitchforks out for grapplers

Yeah but think about the clown fiesta that will unfold on day one with newbies picking up Gief Honda and Marissa, switching to modern controls, then bodying other newbies by just slamming their faces into the ground. It's gonna be great 

I hope the rest of the grappler roster in SF isn't too far off in terms of DLC additions. 

We've waited for a Hugo comeback long enough 

Playing some matches on the beta, I feel sorry for all the naive fools that come playing with modern controls expecting to playa against people with at least a modicum of experience from fgs with classic controls.

Those poor souls will never stand a chance, lol.

So far, all the people who play with modenr controls always disconnect after they lose the 1st match.

I'm not quite seeing the problem with animations to be honest. Some moves arguably look weird (wtf is Chun doing during st.MP?) but overall it looks very fluent and smooth.

It does, however, become increasingly difficult to properly animate light/fast attacks the more sophisticated and realistic a game looks, because throwing a punch and retracting your limb to your neutral stance in a sixth of a second is humanly impossible. These rapid-fire animations from the days of yore, that looked absolutely fine on 2D sprites and even the blocky models of SFIV, will therefore always be visually at odds with the character models in this new graphical style.

5 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I really appreciate your thoughts @Vhozite. I can't play anything while my wife is out of the country so I'm living vicariously through you guys. 

Is the netcode at least Strive good?

Net code thank you I knew I forgot something.

In a word it’s great! For reference I live in the US in the mid-Atlantic region of the east coast. I think the farthest person I fought was @Voltand while it wasn’t perfect it was mostly playable. Besides that I think I had only 1 fight with a sus connection. I played easily over 100 sets and I’d say 95 were flawless lol. 

Actually never thought about it, but FSE + Drive Rush is indeed low-key Marvel stuff. But even apart form that I think she's really good in this game and it's really nice that she can use her store kick infinitely again (even though the backwards quarter circle kept messing me up).

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Net code thank you I knew I forgot something.

In a word it’s great! For reference I live in the US in the mid-Atlantic region of the east coast. I think the farthest person I fought was @Voltand while it wasn’t perfect it was mostly playable. Besides that I think I had only 1 fight with a sus connection. I played easily over 100 sets and I’d say 95 were flawless lol. 

@Pair of RooksYeah I can back Vhozite up on that. I played Volt several times with no issue. He's lost access to the Onliine Brazilian Ken tech from SFV 😉 My connection to @Counterstrikewas probably the worse but it was hardly bad. It was playable. IIRC it was 150 Ping and 2F Rollback. he's all the way in Europe. IF that's a "bad" connection we are golden. The way this game is shaking out, I think we'll all be able to play each other. I wish could have played more. I was finally getting better at inputting Drive Rush on Saturday.