Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Mena Won Evo Japan!

32 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Yeah I was thinking something like Петергофский Дворец, very imperial Russia style architecture used for the building in that concept art. Wouldn't mind seeing it as a stage at all given how beautiful Петергоф is 

Beautiful indeed, plus would like a very cold climate stage to balance all hot places we got... Zangief's surely is cold place, but is indoor lol

As @Daemossuggested would work well on JP... i understand him being in Nayshall due story reasons, but straight visually as his personal stage (and final villain/Boss stage) it works so bad

Anybody else that got a stage got it very tailor-made

Well, guess when we will see him in World Tour we may have chance to fight him in a place he can call more "home" lol

4 hours ago, Volt said:

Either that or Kolin might come back soon.

The only reason Gill's absence isn't even more noticeable is that the whole fucking SF3 cast is missing.

This might actually be one of the worst launch rosters of all time.

Yeah the losers from the game that almost killed the franchise aren't here

pretty good thing imo

6 hours ago, Volt said:

The only reason Gill's absence isn't even more noticeable is that the whole fucking SF3 cast is missing.

SF3 has the worst roster of any game in the series which is a big reason it flopped lol. SF6 roster is way better just by virtue of having vets ppl actually like. 

Edit: Now that I’m actually looking at the launch roster every series that isn’t SF2 is underrepresented so it’s not like they’re singling out SF3. 

SFV and SF4 both only have 1 rep, and Alpha series also appears to have 0 reps while being way more popular than SF3. 

Edited by Vhozite
7 hours ago, Volt said:

Kolin would be so much welcome, bring in cool moveset/power, poetic butt and lore wise will add some Gill lore without need actually Gill... tbh i'm not fan of get former bosses too early, they risk to suffocate even weak small capcom attempts of build new bosses

From Sf3 cast would surely love see Dudley, Elena, Hugo, Makoto, Urien and Alex (in this order more or less)

Overall i like Vanilla SF6 cast

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Edit: Now that I’m actually looking at the launch roster every series that isn’t SF2 is underrepresented so it’s not like they’re singling out SF3. 

SFV and SF4 both only have 1 rep, and Alpha series also appears to have 0 reps while being way more popular than SF3. 

And SFV Luke was essentially a SF6 char making a quick cameo to open things for SF6 lol

S1 add Rashid and Ed though, Alpha and 3 still nothing including LOOONG ass poor S1

I do find it odd that there are no Alpha or 3S characters, as Vhozite pointed out, but it does seem especially weird there isn’t one 3S character because that’s the most recent game chronologically.

SF3 was hit hard at the time for a few reasons (new characters, 3D fighters were more popular, arcades were dying, etc), but that was over 20 years ago now, and some of these characters are beloved now. I personally love the 3S cast, but I certainly understand they’re not as iconic/popular as the returning characters they added. I just hope some come as DLC eventually.

I think it's funny when it comes to SF3, it also reminds me of the discussion regarding SF6 music lately.

When 3S released people didn't like the new cast immediately, same goes for the music because it was new and different.

Now they are considered classics.

I assume something similar might occur in SF6 in the upcoming years or when SF7 comes out.

Edited by Neclord
28 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I do find it odd that there are no Alpha or 3S characters, as Vhozite pointed out, but it does seem especially weird there isn’t one 3S character because that’s the most recent game chronologically.

SF3 was hit hard at the time for a few reasons (new characters, 3D fighters were more popular, arcades were dying, etc), but that was over 20 years ago now, and some of these characters are beloved now. I personally love the 3S cast, but I certainly understand they’re not as iconic/popular as the returning characters they added. I just hope some come as DLC eventually.

Tbh for the cast thing i don't think new characters were the problem, the problem was the lack of characters from previous games 

Add bunch of SF2 vets and SF3 would have felt much more home lol

People (myself included) were mad at SF3 cast, while on reality their problem was capcom not adding more vets 

SF4 proven me SF3ers and SF2ers can blend so well if put in same game lol 

But on general would help stop consider whole groups and pick char by char, we don't need give loyalty/hate to any chapter... overall i prefer SF2 over SF3, but i pick Dudley over Balrog any day

Juri is literally the only SF4er in whole vanilla+S1, chars don't need their whole gamily to be in lol

41 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Keep those thumbs down coming if SF3 was actually popular y’all wouldn’t have to beg papa Capcom for your characters lmao

Hawk gets a pass because I saw him actually playing Alex regularly. The rest of you are posers.

The new Spider Man trailer made me think of Twelve tbh. Think he’d be cute in SF6.

I think the SF3 characters that have developed some mainstream appeal after the dumpster fire launch of SF3 are Alex, Ibuki, and Urien.

Makoto appears in a lot of memes but I feel her bandaged chest will be misinterpreted by moronic Gen Z as a woke trans character. Elena and Dudley also seem really popular relative to everyone else from SF3.

I think next season will get more SF2 and SFA, maybe 1 SF3.

17 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I think next season will get more SF2 and SFA, maybe 1 SF3.

Agreed, which is why I’m not worried about the roster at all. Last two games ended at over 40+ characters with a good variety from every game and 7 years of support. We have a whopping 18 here someone was gonna get the short end of the stick. 

Year one DLC has a big focus on SFV (2 characters from that game and a 3rd clearly related to a SFV character) so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a similar trend in the following years for the different series. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

SF3 has the worst roster of any game in the series which is a big reason it flopped lol. SF6 roster is way better just by virtue of having vets ppl actually like. 

SF3 failed because it was 2D, Capcom took to long to release it, and everyone had moved to 3D. SNK went out of business for reason. They were in the 2D fighting game business and nobody was buying 2D fighting games. It was all about Tekken. Up until MK's recent resurgence, Tekken was the best selling FG franchise. That's not even getting into weeds of the other issues at the time. People forget about Sony actively discouraged 2D development because it was the one area that the Saturn had the edge over the PS1. That's when the devaluation of 2D games started but that is a whole other topic. Most people in the US didn't realize that the PS1 versus the Saturn was actually a contest in Japan. There is reason Capcom bent over backwards trying to support competing platforms to the PlayStation. The heavily supported the Saturn, Dreamcast, and Gamecube for reason and it wasn't their install base.

^ one of the reasons. It made many mistakes, but it didn’t lose its core audience because it was 2D. SF3 was competing with other SF games and Capcom games, and that was a bad spot that Capcom put themselves in.

No self respecting SF player at the time would play that game over their characters appearing in other fighters. Ex, Alpha2/3, SF2, and crossovers were just much better and more familiar games. Characters are not functions.

56 minutes ago, Neclord said:

When 3S released people didn't like the new cast immediately, same goes for the music because it was new and different.

Now they are considered classics.

I assume something similar might occur in SF6 in the upcoming years or when SF7 comes out.

There's one key difference - 6 has a shitty soundtrack 

25 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

That's exactly why they sell them as DLC after launch 

DLC includes everything from series vets like Sagat to new characters like Lucia that nobody gives a fuck about that shit don’t mean anything 😂 

Them boys are DLC because the characters needed to actually sell the game are in the base roster. 

Edited by Vhozite
13 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Them boys are DLC because the characters needed to actually sell the game are in the base roster. 

Why would they sell you a 60$ with 3s characters when they can milk you over the years for 5$ a pop or 30$ per season pass? 

8 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Why would they sell you a 60$ with 3s characters 

???

I am explicitly saying Capcom wouldn’t do this…because that game would flop.

Using your logic Ryu and Ken should be DLC because they can milk you for years dropping SF2 characters. Unless you are actually trying to argue Alex and Makoto are more popular than someone like Chun-Li.

I swear if everyone who dick eats SF3 actually bought it that hand would be the best selling FG of all time. 

Edited by Vhozite
45 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yep they sell. Same reason they make Akuma DLC. 

Sakura and bunch of others too

33 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

DLC includes everything from series vets like Sagat to new characters like Lucia that nobody gives a fuck about that shit don’t mean anything 😂 

SF have limited amount of real big cashcows, and they want each season offer at least a reason to buy it

DLC seasons usually have 1-2 high selling ones to pull whole group

Base roster works similar but have lot high selling ones to push the launch

Personally i love get characters like Honda from launch rather than wait S4 like in SFV, but we know Capcom could have picked chars that sell much more... but they did'nt need it, it's smarter on their side milk through whole life of the game

SFV has been great example of this

24 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Are you seriously trying to argue if 6 had more than acouple SF3 characters at launch it would fail? 

No, I’m saying the game perfectly fine without SF3 characters. I jumped into this discussion because of Volt saying SF6 had a bad roster because it didn’t have anyone from SF3, and I vehemently disagree. 

If SF6 needed reps from that game to sell copies at launch it would have them. If having a roster full of SF3 characters was the path to success then it would be that. But it’s full of SF2 characters because that’s what people actually want. Also as I pointed out SF3 isn’t even particularly underrepresented compared to the other games…literally the only well represented legacy game is SF2. 

To be clear, I don’t actually dislike SF3 characters. Ibuki was literally the first character I tried when I got into the series, and i also like Gill and the Twins. But I’m tired of ppl dick eating SF3 that game like it’s god gift to earth when nobody bought it and nobody plays it today when it’s 10x more accessible. 

Edited by Vhozite
8 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

and nobody plays it today when it’s 10x more accessible. 

Really? 

Because if we look at the situation, here's how you can access SF3:

- Unofficial emulator with a pirated ROM copy via Fightcade, only on PC

- Part of a legacy collection with other classic SF games, with terrible netcode and in general shitty online environment 

That's not exactly ideal 

8 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

No, I’m saying the game perfectly fine without SF3 characters. I jumped into this discussion because of Volt saying SF6 had a bad roster because it didn’t have anyone from SF3, and I vehemently disagree. 

If SF6 needed reps from that game to sell copies at launch it would have them. If having a roster full of SF3 characters was the path to success then it would be that. But it’s full of SF2 characters because that’s what people actually want. Also as I pointed out SF3 isn’t even particularly underrepresented compared to the other games…literally the only well represented legacy game is SF2. 

To be clear, I don’t actually dislike SF3 characters. Ibuki was literally the first character I tried when I got into the series, and i also like Gill and the Twins. But I’m tired of ppl dick eating SF3 that game like it’s god gift to earth when nobody bought it and nobody plays it today when it’s 10x more accessible. 

You don't need all 8 the world warriors. Not all 8 of them are popular. The launch roster for SF6  has zero Alpha characters*, zero SF3 characters, one SF4 character, and one SFV character if you count Luke. 

*I chuckled when I realized I just typed Zero and Alpha in succession.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

do find it odd that there are no Alpha or 3S characters, as Vhozite pointed out, but it does seem especially weird there isn’t one 3S character because that’s the most recent game chronologically.

No Final Fight characters in the base roster is pretty egregious seeing how central Metro City is for world tour. Cody should have been a no brainier

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

No Final Fight characters in the base roster is pretty egregious seeing how central Metro City is for world tour. Cody should have been a no brainier

I remember Nakyama mentioning he pushed to have Cody on the base roster. IIRC its the one character he wished for most. Given the sentiments he expressed, I'm surprised Cody wasn't at least Season 1 DLC.

29 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You don't need all 8 the world warriors. Not all 8 of them are popular. The launch roster for SF6  has zero Alpha characters*, zero SF3 characters, one SF4 character, and one SFV character if you count Luke. 

*I chuckled when I realized I just typed Zero and Alpha in succession.

I don't count Luke as SF5 honestly. The devs even said he is an SF6 character who made a guest experience in 5.

So the game which was designed obviously with 22 characters in mind to begin has:

8 characters that started it all and that people missed the most when we last did a time jump.

8 characters that represent the developer's vision for the future.

1 SF4 rep

2 SF5 rep

1 Wild Card we haven't seen in a while (Dee Jay)

1 Troll (Akuma)

Looking at this objectively and trying to imagine their logic, they really only had some wiggle room with the Wild Card character (last game was Alpha, Birdie) and we could've had 1 SF3 rep instead of 2 SF5. I think they chose Rashid because he was REALLY popular in SF5 at one point and they chose Ed for story reasons. They knew the characters had to be in so they chose to rip the bandaid and be done with it in year one.

The wild card could've been an SF3 character that nobody has seen in a while - What would make sense? Makoto? The base roster is predominantly female. Q is too wild possibly and doesn't mesh with the others. Dudley would be my pick instead of Dee Jay, but it's not as international. We already have a Brit.

The rest of the selection is impeccable as a launch roster. It is also fair considering where this game is in the timeline (uncharted waters). I can't honestly change it much if at all even though I am missing most of my favorite characters from the last few decades.

Edited by Daemos

I don't have any loyalty to SF2 and I could play any SF game that lacks all the yawn inducing inclusions like Honda. Honda is for normies that played SF in 92 and then fucked off to MK because blood and gore. There's allot of cool as fuck SF characters from so many games and lore and they get sidelined for fucking Blanka. Granted I know that my personal feelings on this and that I'm in the minority because I'm a sweaty but if it was up to me base roster would have been. Ryu/Ken/Chun/Akuma/Viper/Makoto/Kolin/Remy/Necro/Haggar/Lucia/Cody/Rose/Cammy/Adon/Fei Long/Poison/Hugo. Fuck a new character that's what DLC is for.

6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

And that is exactly why the roster is bad. It's not that we got bad characters, we just got the whole world warriors crew and left 3 or 4 of the franchise's games with little to no reps. It's not just SF3, only a handful of the characters in that game are actually worth their salt. I don't even like to play that game. Fuck parries.

But when you look at SF3, SF4, Alpha, AND 5 struggling to have one or 2 reps, while SF2 got all its base roster including absolute dogshit picks like Blanka, you know that's very imbalanced.

That's just absurdly shortsighted and will certainly harm DLC roadmaps.

42 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

LMAO I forgot about those bums too. How tf do you bring back the Mad Gear nonsense and Metro City but not ONE FF rep?

Guess Cody wasn't re-elected. 🤣

Edited by Volt
3 minutes ago, Volt said:

That's just absurdly shortsighted and will certainly harm DLC roadmaps.

I think they'll be fine. It's clear they wanted New Gen vs Old Gen with the 8x8 layout. It works.

What I would like to happen is for them to leak a bunch of character names for S2 or whatever and it includes characters that their audience really wants to play like Bison and NOT like fucking Lucia  (@TWINBLADES seriously?).

Edited by Daemos
6 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

I don't have any loyalty to SF2 and I could play any SF game that lacks all the yawn inducing inclusions like Honda. Honda is for normies that played SF in 92 and then fucked off to MK because blood and gore. There's allot of cool as fuck SF characters from so many games and lore and they get sidelined for fucking Blanka. Granted I know that my personal feelings on this and that I'm in the minority because I'm a sweaty but if it was up to me base roster would have been. Ryu/Ken/Chun/Akuma/Viper/Makoto/Kolin/Remy/Necro/Haggar/Lucia/Cody/Rose/Cammy/Adon/Fei Long/Poison/Hugo. Fuck a new character that's what DLC is for.

I was with you until you said fuck a new character.

Just now, Daemos said:

I think they'll be fine. It's clear they wanted New Gen vs Old Gen with the 8x8 layout. It works.

What I would like to happen is for them to leak a bunch of character names for S2 or whatever and it includes characters that their audience really wants to play like Bison and NOT like fucking Lucia  (@TWINBLADES seriously?).

Of course Twin would ask for another generic white blonde with a great ass. 🤣

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I was with you until you said fuck a new character.

Which is ironic since he mained a brand new character in SFV lol. 

Im all about brand new characters. Even if I get the legacy characters I want there is no guarantee I’ll like how they operate. Give me something i haven’t experienced before. 

That’s why gen 5 Pokémon is the GOAT