Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Guest Characters? In MY Street Fighter?

Alpha 3 had 28 characters; Alpha starting at 13 and ending at 28 is pretty though (specially if you take it as a series of updates rather than each being a new game). That went from 13, to 18 to 28 from 95 to 98.  At this point, that would be looked at as wack. The biggest roster on Capcom side of things was CvS2 with 44. Ultra SF4 ended at 44 too. SF5 has 45.

SF6 released with the same size roster as Third Strike. Been playing been playing 3S for near 20 years now so I don't know wtf anybody's problem was with that count. But then they're adding 4 more to get to 22. That would be 12 more in the next 3 years if we assume 4 each year to end up at 36?

I'm okay with team games having large roster. But for a  1 on 1 that shit is too much. Specially when its going to be characters that are as fleshed out as the SF6 roster is. At some point we gotta start looking at Tekken and asking wtf their deal is. Because they love throwing characters in like its shovelware. This ish crazy.

Edit: One thing its doing is just devaluing how exciting a big roster could've been. Now everybody is bitching about their one niche character not being in. Every game needs to go HAM on just shoveling characters in or its ass. Hit me right in my niche need or the roster is "lacking".

40 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Alpha 3 had 28 characters; Alpha starting at 13 and ending at 28 is pretty though (specially if you take it as a series of updates rather than each being a new game). That went from 13, to 18 to 28 from 95 to 98.  At this point, that would be looked at as wack. The biggest roster on Capcom side of things was CvS2 with 44. Ultra SF4 ended at 44 too. SF5 has 45.

SF6 released with the same size roster as Third Strike. Been playing been playing 3S for near 20 years now so I don't know wtf anybody's problem was with that count. But then they're adding 4 more to get to 22. That would be 12 more in the next 3 years if we assume 4 each year to end up at 36?

I'm okay with team games having large roster. But for a  1 on 1 that shit is too much. Specially when its going to be characters that are as fleshed out as the SF6 roster is. At some point we gotta start looking at Tekken and asking wtf their deal is. Because they love throwing characters in like its shovelware. This ish crazy.

Edit: One thing its doing is just devaluing how exciting a big roster could've been. Now everybody is bitching about their one niche character not being in. Every game needs to go HAM on just shoveling characters in or its ass. Hit me right in my niche need or the roster is "lacking".

The first arcade version of SFA3 has 29 characters. The home console version and SFA3 Upper arcade cabinet had 35. The GBA version 38.

Passerby: "But Darc, what about the PSP version."

Darc: "There is no PSP version!"

Passerby: "But I have it right there" 

Darc: "There is no PSP version"

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The home console version and SFA3 Upper arcade cabinet had 35. The GBA version 38.

Bro I'm not about to start counting shit nobody played.

All those other version can lick my nutsack. I don't even know if I wanna count the secret characters for Alpha 3 because some of them fuckers was the definition of unfinished. Think Balrog had the same animation for 4 different normals. Bro out here throwing limbs like MUGEN character.

😂

Idk, if you expect to put real time into a game 30-40 characters isn't crazy.

Yeah, with those numbers some of the characters are bound to be duds.  But we're talking about a genre where you expect to put in hundreds of hours per year across several years.  You just need a big enough pool of characters so that some of them start to feel obscure, or the game is going to feel pretty "solved" prematurely. 

33 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Bro I'm not about to start counting shit nobody played.

All those other version can lick my nutsack. I don't even know if I wanna count the secret characters for Alpha 3 because some of them fuckers was the definition of unfinished. Think Balrog had the same animation for 4 different normals. Bro out here throwing limbs like MUGEN character.

😂

You want to discount the GBA version cool, I consider it a novelty myself. The home console ports which was released in the arcades as SFA3 Upper? Nah, not rolling with you on that one. You can't, with a straight face, tell me no on played the home console ports of SFA3. 

Edit: @ReticentlyI agree with you. In modern times, games get figured out far faster due to the internet. And with modern games, you can literally look at replays of top players without having to look at vids from content vultures on YouTube. Back in the day a dozen characters were fine and two dozen were a shit ton. These days the "dead game" nonsense will start within a year with a small roster that isn't updated via DLC.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
9 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Idk, if you expect to put real time into a game 30-40 characters isn't crazy.

Yeah, with those numbers some of the characters are bound to be duds.  But we're talking about a genre where you expect to put in hundreds of hours per year across several years.  You just need a big enough pool of characters so that some of them start to feel obscure, or the game is going to feel pretty "solved" prematurely. 

Honestly after playing SF2 for hours on end (and I can still play it for hours on end), I don't know what leads to people feeling this way about their games.

Only thing I can conclude is that for all the bells and whistles in modern games, they somehow do not get as engaging as chars in SF2 doing a lot of work with zero EX moves.

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Honestly after playing SF2 for hours on end (and I can still play it for hours on end), I don't know what leads to people feeling this way about their games.

Only thing I can conclude is that for all the bells and whistles in modern games, they somehow do not get as engaging as chars in SF2 doing a lot of work with zero EX moves.

SFII:WW obviously got a shocking number of things right.  But even back in the arcades it was just a matter of time before other, often inferior, games started getting quarters again.

I can nostalgia grind a lot of stuff too, it's just that once you've gotten the lion's share of the knowledge down on the matchups for the character(s) you want to play, and reached the point of diminishing returns on improving your execution, there's less 'play' in playing the game.  It takes a really focused passion to stay in on a specific game when something similar is offering fresher hits of dopamine for the same time investment.

Edited by Reticently

We have another group of 4 getting third alt, we're at 8 with Deejay, Juri, Guile and Marisa already revealed

Add my 2cents too

22_sf6costumes01.jpg

KEN - ElitismKen to counter default HoboKen lmao. Overall i dig it, bring almost Tekken vibes. We get hint Masters family is into freemason shit too (the M is made of two compass, and in another version even have the square). Not too sold of hair/lil beard that make him look like some damn Maximilian Dood, but overall i like it and give me something to use if i get bored of SF2 alt. Looks cool, works better than default for a legit "timeskip Ken" to place next to SF6 Ryu. 7.5/10

22_sf6costumes02.jpg

LILY - Mariachi look just to scream in your face she's mexican from Mexico, because that's how SF world work and i love it. They even went for flag colors lol. Having many moving elements bet will work pretty funny with her animations. 7/10

22_sf6costumes03.jpg

CAMMY - That's pretty good, i love they picked again red hood Cammy from SF2tAM, and i appreciate also they tried to modernize it  a bit, give me vibes of an edgy anime look (and Ragna from BlazBlue lol) that will fit perfectly with Cammy's dynamic/cool movements. 8/10

22_sf6costumes04.jpg

LUKE - Infamous SFVLuke is maybe going to get the most hate, but to me it's the best addition of the bunch. I ever want  SF chars to get at least an alt that represent the martial art they bring to SF, and this is perfect at rep MMA figther look (while default was just gym training and alt casual/army clothes), will also work 100% perfect on MMA stage make it essentially his official stage (MMA cage even have Buckler as sponsor). Have faith new engine/style will make his hair look much less retard than SFV version, hope they tone down the silly tattoos. 9/10

Overall i like these bit more than previous group showed, wich was already good

Still need them to give me Ryu alt i like because i'm not sold on default beard old Ryu and the execution of his SF2 alt is atrocious lmao

Hope we get these 8 all at same time and not 4 -> 4

edit: just seen @JustBoomingalready posted it lol

Was writing it for story thread and copy-pasted it here too 😁

Edited by CESTUS III