Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

16 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

Shit I’d give just about anything to be able to use ds4 over the atrocity that is the ds5 . I’ve learned to tolerate it but it’s ass. Considered buying the victrix fight pad but 200$ for a pad is kind of nuts to me

Never played SF6 on a DS5 but I heard it's indeed even worse than the DS4. 

I can remember a time when you could get a MadCatz fight stick with full Sanwa components for just 150...

1 hour ago, Volta said:

DI is more annoying because you get hit by it every now and then for big damage, but DR is pretty much mandatory if you want to compete at the Master level online, let alone offline. The people who think DI is stronger are probably the same people who have no clue about frame data.

I’ll be honest I don’t even know how to do DR lol. 
But you’re absolutely right about DR being needed at high level. I’m almost at Diamond 4 and realizing the entire system is needed and being aware of when and where to use it. 

I don’t really use drive gauge for anything besides OD moves and combo extensions. But the fact that parry just blocks mixups for you reminds me to use it more. I just know my meter management is ass so I try to be frugal with it lol.

19 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Does blocking normals take chip damage? I noticed on some Evo matches that some players got chipped out in rounds, can normals and specials chip you out or just supers? 

1. You only take chip damage on burnout

2. specials and supers deal chip, not normals. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, delete_me said:

During EVO Yipes mentioned that due to Guile's perfect Sonic Boom timing, you pretty much never hear him say 'Sonic Boom' in a match anymore. He played it off as a joke but there's actually a bit of his (limited) identity that got lost due to that change.

Hot take but they made perfect booms too easy to execute. When I see guile in a match I swear it's ALWAYS red/"shooting", the input leniency is crazy 

9 hours ago, Sonero said:

I am once again asking why the hell are SF6 stages KoF big?

Like seriously, holy shit. these stages need to chill.

Don't be scared of large stages.

Be scared that Ken can corner you from anywhere regardless of how big the stages are.

Anyway, I very much huge stages over small SFV ones, especially with this game's corner games.

12 hours ago, Volta said:

I played SF6 on a Series X today and I have to say that the d-pad on that controller is so much better than the immovable brick on that absolute piece of dogshit controller that is the Dualshock 4. Just so you know.

It's a Dualshock that design has been trash since it's inception. It's the Little Caesars Pizza of controller design except they don't sell it at discount which makes it that much worse.

13 hours ago, Volta said:

I played SF6 on a Series X today and I have to say that the d-pad on that controller is so much better than the immovable brick on that absolute piece of dogshit controller that is the Dualshock 4. Just so you know.

I play on stick but I play sf6 on Series X|S. I think it's kind of underrated to play on.

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It's a Dualshock that design has been trash since it's inception. It's the Little Caesars Pizza of controller design except they don't sell it at discount which makes it that much worse.

It's not just that the d-pad is bad, the whole thing has the ergonomics of a brick; the edges where the shoulder buttons are located drive into your fingers after playing for a while and the triggers are far too spongy. Never mind the useless touchscreen. 

24 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I'm not one to push for balance patches but I think at this point I could write a novel on changes Jamie needs.  

I saw way too many matches at Evo where he got to his "necalli" state just to have the round be over 2 seconds later. Store/load/install characters SUCK! 

12 hours ago, elliephil said:

I play on stick but I play sf6 on Series X|S. I think it's kind of underrated to play on.

The D-pad reminds me of the old Saturn one. Ah, the memories...

...The memories of being to poor to afford a Saturn, so I slaved away delivering newspapers for pennies while some rich kid prick was playing Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon and Daytona USA. Goddamnit. 

After watching Luffy getting manhandled at this event, and being pretty unimpressed with Idom too, and seeing the absolute state of Lily and the fact that Zangief might as well not be in the game with how many times he's been sighted, I've come to conclusion that there isn't anything wrong with any of these characters in particular but I think it's the whole archetype that's crippled in VI.

The only effective use of command grabs I'm seeing is from characters like Marisa, Blanka, JP, Honda, maybe even Jamie even if he got other issues, because those characters have gameplans that don't rely on command grabs and thus can use the ones they have as surprise move to get people scared. Gimmicks, basically. Marisa forcing you to twitch and eat more of her knuckle sandwiches, Blanka closing out matches with that dumb hop of his you'll mistake for another of his hundreds of dumb moves, JP jump-scaring you because he can, that sort of stuff.

Characters who have to constantly threaten and use their command grabs to win tho, I haven't seen much success from them. I straight up don't remember Lily landing a grab in this event at all, although I'm probably wrong. I definitely remember seeing Luffy getting punished for trying to landing grabs way more than ever landing them.

Command grabs still have the huge recovery they were given mid-way through SFV, because SFV was all about being in your face and grapplers could get really snow-bally with V-Trigger, but in VI it's Drive Rush to be king, and Drive Rush makes a lot of characters able to go for heavily damaging mixups and be plus if they're wrong. Grapplers' Drive Rushes universally suck and they still die if they guess wrong. There's no reason to pick a grappler if you only care about competition because everyone else has safer, better roads to damage.

Not that I really care personally because Manon is fun to use and everyone can win with anything online. I'm the guy who switched from Cammy to Falke when she was released, because she was fun and she somehow carried me to Diamond while she was labelled the worst character in the game and Cammy was Rashid tier. There's no low tierdom that scares or concerns me.

It's just that I also like watching the characters I play in tournaments, and Luffy is dropping Manon after this and I expect Idom to follow very soon.

JP got the best command grab in the game unless you’re paying attention to audio cues you get conditioned to block his bs and surprise lol.

Zangief needs buffs they took the stupid route of big damage but left him with no way to really use it. 
i understand they don’t want him OP but he needs SOMETHING.

The only character I don’t understand needing buffs is Jamie. I see people everywhere saying he’s weak but I get shit on by Jamie. I feel like I have to block for days and this nigga got a command grab that goes into more shit. His dive kick is ass though.

20 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

The only character I don’t understand needing buffs is Jamie. I see people everywhere saying he’s weak but I get shit on by Jamie. I feel like I have to block for days and this nigga got a command grab that goes into more shit. His dive kick is ass though.

He loses to characters with fireballs because he has no decent way through them besides ex breakdance and that's a guess not a reaction.  Unfortunately most of the top tier are projectile characters that can either zone him pretty well or walk behind slow fireballs.   I think he even loses to Ryu.  

His best matchups are against non projectile characters.  I think he fights Cammy and Marisa well and also maybe Dhalsim.  

13 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

He loses to characters with fireballs because he has no decent way through them besides ex breakdance and that's a guess not a reaction.  Unfortunately most of the top tier are projectile characters that can either zone him pretty well or walk behind slow fireballs.   I think he even loses to Ryu.  

His best matchups are against non projectile characters.  I think he fights Cammy and Marisa well and also maybe Dhalsim.  

Okay that makes sense 

6 hours ago, Volta said:

The memories of being to poor to afford a Saturn, so I slaved away delivering newspapers for pennies while some rich kid prick was playing Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon and Daytona USA. Goddamnit. 

I remember saving up to buy a Saturn off someone who didn't want it anymore. It was really an amazing console with lots of great ports and hidden gems. The Saturn and Dreamcast that got me hooked on fighting games!

There is a weird old Saturn game that I loved as a kid called Mr. Bones. The live action cutscenes are worth it alone.

7 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

yes command grabs must be buffed

and buffed a lot

don't be scared too buff it too much

I think they tried to buff command grabs in this game by buffing the damage a lot, it's the highest damage from command grabs in a while, but they also make you lose all oki on top of being just inherently risky to attempt compared to how effective regular Drive Rush pressure is, so it still doesn't work out apparently.

11 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Command grabs still have the huge recovery they were given mid-way through SFV, because SFV was all about being in your face and grapplers could get really snow-bally with V-Trigger, but in VI it's Drive Rush to be king, and Drive Rush makes a lot of characters able to go for heavily damaging mixups and be plus if they're wrong. Grapplers' Drive Rushes universally suck and they still die if they guess wrong. There's no reason to pick a grappler if you only care about competition because everyone else has safer, better roads to damage.

Not that I really care personally because Manon is fun to use and everyone can win with anything online. I'm the guy who switched from Cammy to Falke when she was released, because she was fun and she somehow carried me to Diamond while she was labelled the worst character in the game and Cammy was Rashid tier. There's no low tierdom that scares or concerns me.

Before the game came out I thought grapplers would have an easier time because of the drive system, especially when I saw that Zangief had no green hand in the game once again. Most of the characters in 6 appear to be built to work with multiple strategies. Manon is good at mid range and Lily has her ground game and wind buffs. Zangief needs to be in the opponents face with no alternative, meanwhile like you said everyone else has safer, better roads to damage.

1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

An article written by KingHippo. Wasn't he on SRK?

It's obvious what the Saudis are trying to do, but you can't really expect the players and commentators to say no to that kind of money that would get reinvested in the scene, even if it is blood money basically. So... Just enjoy the show, remind yourself that the Saudi royal family are pieces of shit and be happy to take some of the money they're throwing out thinking they can turn a sharia state into a high-tech streaming/gaming utopia somehow.

The good thing about the FGC in my opinion is that, unlike some other scenes that have basically been concocted by devs and corporates, it still exists based on an independently existing grassroot scene. If esports ever turns to shit or the Saudis actually manage to monopolize things and abuse their position, the scene will just scale down and keep going on even if poorer compared to how it used to be.

5 hours ago, Jurassic said:

Before the game came out I thought grapplers would have an easier time because of the drive system, especially when I saw that Zangief had no green hand in the game once again. 

Grapplers in SF6 are being treated like FANGS poison in SFV where they are preemptively afraid of it being too strong so it comes out the gate already throttled. Atm they feel like the only archetype where they are punished for reaching their goal.

It’s pretty disheartening seeing a bunch of other players drop your main.

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

An article written by KingHippo. Wasn't he on SRK?

My face when King Hippo writes something as well as anybody clutching pearls over Saudis spending money on bullshit.

🥱

Who gives a shit? Seriously, who gives a shit? There are things going on this country of vastly more importance to the FGC and in general than whether or not people with more money than one can imagine waste it on video games. This isn't even a defense of the Saudis either.

I just don't care. Did King Hippo boycott KoF 15's inclusion at Evo because the Saudis have a steak on SNK? He didn't?  :coffee:

1 minute ago, Sonero said:

My face when King Hippo writes something as well as anybody clutching pearls over Saudis spending money on bullshit.

🥱

Who gives a shit? Seriously, who gives a shit? There are things going on this country of vastly more importance to the FGC and in general than whether or not people with more money than one can imagine waste it on video games. This isn't even a defense of the Saudis either.

I just don't care. Did King Hippo boycott KoF 15's inclusion at Evo because the Saudis have a steak on SNK? He didn't?  :coffee:

Does King Hippo go to the gas station and fill up? The whole Saudi thing annoys me because they are already giving money's to the Saudis. They probably have no problem buying Iphone's either, but that's a whole other discussion all together.

Only reason this is being brought up this way is because its easy to be moralistic about something you can't change. Its virtue signaling.

"Oh noes, the FGC shouldn't go with the evil Saudis."

I was hoping he'd written about the way SRK got destroyed under the community still using it without giving them a voice but, look, he's a fucking idiot.

:coffee: x 100