Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Thank you all for your support on the tweet I posted here earlier. Now that I'm in, I'm wondering whether or not to put in any effort in school? Seems useless, but I can't get any lazier than just lounging around anyway.

Nevermind, they want to be uptight about it. I'd post images, but... well...

That's your first life test. 

Now no one is going to push you or really care about what you are doing. Its all up on you to set your own path and walk it.

My recommendation is to set standards and keep to them. Work on building your own schedules and regimens. The next howevermany years are going to be a lot of that so building good habits now will pay off later.

Also even though it can feel heavy at times this is still "young person fun time" so get out there and do enough dumb shit to get some good stories but not enough that you end up in prison.

1 minute ago, GetTheTables said:

That's your first life test. 

Now no one is going to push you or really care about what you are doing. Its all up on you to set your own path and walk it.

My recommendation is to set standards and keep to them. Work on building your own schedules and regimens. The next howevermany years are going to be a lot of that so building good habits now will pay off later.

Also even though it can feel heavy at times this is still "young person fun time" so get out there and do enough dumb shit to get some good stories but not enough that you end up in prison.

Seems like I don't have a choice. It also appears as though the enrollment confirmation process is harder and more expensive than the damn application process. The time to never catch a break begins now. It's good that I have that work ethic built, so I'm comfortable, but you can also be comfortable in an attack chopper before battle, so it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Seems like I don't have a choice. It also appears as though the enrollment confirmation process is harder and more expensive than the damn application process. The time to never catch a break begins now. It's good that I have that work ethic built, so I'm comfortable, but you can also be comfortable in an attack chopper before battle, so it is what it is.

Sounds like a last minute swerve? That definitely happens with this kind of stuff, sorry it seems like it came out of left field. Especially with the expensive bit.

22 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Sounds like a last minute swerve? That definitely happens with this kind of stuff, sorry it seems like it came out of left field. Especially with the expensive bit.

No, not at all. I was being mostly facetious in the first place, even though the spark of laziness lies dormant within me. I'm not comfortable with not working anyway, so you're fine. As for expenses, what doesn't cost money? It's luckily not my problem, it's my parent's. I'll just try to support them and honor their investment as much as possible; that's all I can do.

Edited by Dayaan

The thing is, all this forced diversity achives nothing but create actuall dislike for these sort of people.

Especially in Videogames.

Spoiler

There have been strong female protagonists since the dawn of videogames, you played trough Metroid and got to know at the end that your character was a chick.

Outside of Other M, Samus has been one of the best representation for a badass female videogame character.

Jill Valentine was killing hordes of Zombies long before we needed better female representation and she beat Nemesis while wearing a fucking miniskirt.

There has always been a good amount of female representation.

Same with how you now need to have a black and a asian guy in basically everything just to fill a checkbox.

I remember one scene in Call of Duty World War 2, where you were in the Ardennes and in your Camp was a Black guy.

During this time, I assure you, there were no Black Soldiers in that region, most black Soldiers on the West Front were French.

What is ironic too, since one of the most iconic American Units from World War 1, the Harlem Hell Fighters, were Americans fighting under French Command, cause the actual Americans didn't want to let them fight.

This situation was still there in WW2, you had some black units, but they were usually either part of Tank Battalions or far in the backline. Or under French command..... again.

Why was this scene stupid? Cause he was the only Black Guy in the entire camp, you got a bunch of hilariously dumb comments "I can't believe they let him fight!" (don't get me wrong his character wasn't half bad, he was a nice dude and pretty chill, what is ironicaly hilariously unrealistic.) and after you crossed the Rhein he was there again and your Squad was like "we're sorry we missjudged you!", while you haven't said ONE SINGLE bad word to him. In fact you barely spoke to him at all and haven't seen him for 3 Missions after he was first introduced.

This is one example I can think of that is bad representation, cause it's forced and feels wrong. If they would be in a Camp of French forces, it would already have been something you would consider correct. But then you would have French in the Ardennes..... you get the point.

One good example CoD did in this game, was the one where you played as a female french resistance member and infiltrated a festival (I think it was one) to assasinate a high ranking officier.

A bad one was the British female Commando. No Western Power(this includes germany here) during WW2 had any sort of female frontline fighter. The only army that during that time had female frontline fighter were the russians. Because back then the Russians had better equality in that area, than the rest of the world.

Point is forced diversity is something that should be avoided at all costs.

And the Last of Us 2 might be the worst way to represent LGBTQ I've ever seen.

I've watched enough Yuri. Japan does a good job in that area. Even with their country being actually against same sex couples, but they go wild with it in anime and manga, cause artistic freedome and no one bats an eye on it. Being somewhat of a forbidden topic makes Yuri realy realy popular in Japan.

Can't realy think of any western media where they represent a gay couple in a good light.

They try to hard to make them look special or something "radiant" instead of just showing them as normal people.

41 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

There is a time and place for everything... and it’s called college.

Also, eventually you will get old. Example, the other day I put my car in track mode for the first time in about a year and immediately thought... this is awful... followed quickly by... fuck I’m old now.

That said, in my experience so far, life only gets better.

8 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

That said, in my experience so far, life only gets better.

Seconded. I'll take the slightly thinning hair and random aches and pains as a trade off for being really stable and knowing what I want. 

Only now do I appreciate the phrase "youth is wasted on the young". Its not a slam against young people its "goddammit I wish I could have all the stuff and knowledge I have now but that 18 year old body, I'd be unstoppable".

15 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Seconded. I'll take the slightly thinning hair and random aches and pains as a trade off for being really stable and knowing what I want. 

Only now do I appreciate the phrase "youth is wasted on the young". Its not a slam against young people its "goddammit I wish I could have all the stuff and knowledge I have now but that 18 year old body, I'd be unstoppable".

I wonder if I'll feel the same way in times to come. I feel like I've lived a fulfilling, studious and active life, but doesn't everyone at this age? I think I have yet to see how this world works and for now I'm just looking forward to developing my philosophies about life - something that I think I've talked about for the 3rd time in 3 days. I hope it comes to a naturally happy conclusion, and, if not, a healthy cope at least.

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I wonder if I'll feel the same way in times to come. I feel like I've lived a fulfilling, studious and active life, but doesn't everyone at this age? I think I have yet to see how this world works and for now I'm just looking forward to developing my philosophies about life - something that I think I've talked about for the 3rd time in 3 days. I hope it comes to a naturally happy conclusion, and, if not, a healthy cope at least.

Yeah for all I revel in my middle age being young is great too. Its all different parts of the cycle and what you make out of them.

I think the thing that is satisfying to me right now is having the experience and perspective to refine the things I defined in my teens/20s, and be able to look at things with a different perspective I may not have been able to internalize well at that age.

You sound like you're on the right track. Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll work out just fine.

Also fun fact when my brain scanned your post I saw "3rd" and immediately thought you were talking about 3rd Strike. That is probably a good association to have.

9 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I haven't had much of a chance to do more than knock the rust off but I should be able to hop on this evening. Kinda depends on time but I should be free after 6 or so.

I wouldn’t worry about it, I only went through the characters I used to play enough to remind myself which moves were which.

If it helps, those are spinal, thunder, and arbiter.

Edit: I probably won’t actually be free until a bit later in the evening.

Edited by FlyingVe
3 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

I wouldn’t worry about it, I only went through the characters I used to play enough to remind myself which moves were which.

If it helps, those are spinal, thunder, and arbiter.

Edit: I probably won’t actually be free until a bit later in the evening.

I used to main Thunder and there is definitely some muscle memory there. Spinal was my KI1/2 dude but I didn't play him much in this game. I never played after Arbiter was added though I have seen a decent bit of match footage with him. Rat-tat-tat.

I'm taking this as an excuse to try out more of the characters that I always wanted to play. That may or may not go terribly.  😀  I want to learn Maya but I think the way she is built melts my brain too much.

Lemme know what time. I've been sleeping kinda like shit so I may not make it much past 10 tonight but from 6 on I can probably make it work with a little heads up. If it doesn't work out tomorrow is about the same in terms of availability.

9 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I used to main Thunder and there is definitely some muscle memory there. Spinal was my KI1/2 dude but I didn't play him much in this game. I never played after Arbiter was added though I have seen a decent bit of match footage with him. Rat-tat-tat.

I'm taking this as an excuse to try out more of the characters that I always wanted to play. That may or may not go terribly.  😀  I want to learn Maya but I think the way she is built melts my brain too much.

Lemme know what time. I've been sleeping kinda like shit so I may not make it much past 10 tonight but from 6 on I can probably make it work with a little heads up. If it doesn't work out tomorrow is about the same in terms of availability.

You are EC right?

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah for all I revel in my middle age being young is great too. Its all different parts of the cycle and what you make out of them.

I think the thing that is satisfying to me right now is having the experience and perspective to refine the things I defined in my teens/20s, and be able to look at things with a different perspective I may not have been able to internalize well at that age.

You sound like you're on the right track. Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll work out just fine.

Also fun fact when my brain scanned your post I saw "3rd" and immediately thought you were talking about 3rd Strike. That is probably a good association to have.

Haven't been playing lately, but I plan to tonight on FC2.

I was such a coward when i was a teenager. There were so many girls interested in me and i was such a suck to do anything about it. I also let some kids in my youth bully me, which shaped how i deal with people for years to come.

better at that shit now, but i bet when i’m 60, looking towards retirement, i’ll look back at this time and wonder why i was such a coward and didnt make plans to have a better career/retirement, but hey, mileena looks dope though... Gonna test that bitch out now. 🤣

Edited by Mattatsu
2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I was such a coward when i was a teenager. There were so many girls interested in me and i was such a suck to do anything about it. I also let some kids in my youth bully me, which shaped how i deal with people for years to come.

better at that shit now, but i bet when i’m 60, looking towards retirement, i’ll look back at this time and wonder why i was such a coward and didnt make plans to have a better career/retirement, but hey, mileena looks dope though... Gonna test that bitch out now. 🤣

You and me both, breh. Self-doubt is the biggest btch I've ever dealt with and it sucks looking back on it. Sometimes it'll still appear, but not as much anymore. Shyt is trash.

On another note, servers going down around 8. Ready for that Blair costume.

14 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

You and me both, breh. Self-doubt is the biggest btch I've ever dealt with and it sucks looking back on it. Sometimes it'll still appear, but not as much anymore. Shyt is trash.

On another note, servers going down around 8. Ready for that Blair costume.

I too was like this. I second-guessed myself a whole lot. Going to tournaments along with a whole lot of college/military experiences helped out a whole bunch. 

Sometimes practicing public speaking or having continued interactions with people of common interests (a la FGC) can take people a long way. 

1 minute ago, FlyingVe said:

Okay, I'm gonna turn on the box.

I'm not 100% sure how to invite you (since I assume you are o PC). What's your "gamertag" equivalent?

It sorta looks like its just picking my actual gamer tag, which sorta makes sense:

mr moondog 

If that ends up being a pain i can try to invite you. 

41 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

The thought of Seth actually being a female with a voice like that is hot as fuck. 

But, I am going to ask a serious question: 

What is the consensus? How good is Seth? Based on what I've been... observing, she seems to be high tier but is also prone to being  a glass cannon. 

My 2 cents - Seth is the 2nd best character in the game after Akuma.  Punk just made a tier list and placed Seth 4th after Akuma, Urien and Rashid.  Either way he/she is easily one of the best characters in the game.  

6 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

@FlyingVeGGs man that was a lot of fun. Only had a bit tonight, but we'll have to do this again soon.

I never saw your original invite. I may just be missing something on the PC side though. 

How was the connection on your end? I only ever saw a few hiccups.

Same.  We were both beginning to knock the rust of as we went,

I have honestly never been able to tell any of Tusk's Doubles/linkers apart (he's hard to break). If memory serves Tusk can still pick up a combo after his giant sword swings but its a link of some kind right?

Connection was basically flawless on my end, except for the same few tiny hiccups you mentioned. We should definitly play again, especially if other people want in we can do a real lobby. 

Edited by FlyingVe
5 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Same.  We were both beginning to knock the rust of as we went,

I have honestly never been able to tell any of Tusk's Doubles/linkers apart (he's hard to break). If memory serves Tusk can still pick up a combo after his giant sword swings but its a link of some kind right?

Connection was basically flawless on my end, except for the same few tiny hiccups you mentioned. We should definitly play again, especially if other people want in we can do a real lobby. 

You are too kind. I was leaning so hard on the shadow sword swipes just to do a goddamn combo. 😆

Its crazy to think that at one point I could kind of walk through combos with most of the cast and reaction break heavies and mediums. Ah well. Will be fun to try to get it back.

A couple of those rounds your Spinal started getting rolling and I was shook. Couldn't mash DP hard enough.

Also the round that ended with Arbiter point blank dumping a clip into Tusk's face made my night.

5 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

You are too kind. I was leaning so hard on the shadow sword swipes just to do a goddamn combo. 😆

Its crazy to think that at one point I could kind of walk through combos with most of the cast and reaction break heavies and mediums. Ah well. Will be fun to try to get it back.

A couple of those rounds your Spinal started getting rolling and I was shook. Couldn't mash DP hard enough.

Also the round that ended with Arbiter point blank dumping a clip into Tusk's face made my night.

Yeah, it was coming back to me slowly as I went.  I was also dropping stuff like mad, but I was fishing for counter breaks like mad for my combos (not breaking for shit).

Spinal is just raw momentum, and in Instinct mode makes skull nonsense happen. He's pretty trash without skulls though, and his normals are not great. When you made me run into swords for a whole health bar he didn't last long.

41 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

My 2 cents - Seth is the 2nd best character in the game after Akuma.  Punk just made a tier list and placed Seth 4th after Akuma, Urien and Rashid.  Either way he/she is easily one of the best characters in the game.  

Damn. 

The meta is built around having strong offensive options from up close and being able to loop pressure against an enemy on okizeme (SFIV shared this same concept to a degree, but the neutral worked differently in that game). 

And, the thing is, this is exactly what Seth is known for, aside from having the viable normals and special moves to back himself up with. I was debating on playing her at the moment. Seth can really do a lot of things at once, it seems. In a manner of speaking, it is the same as administrating game play with Iori Yagami in KOF98: 

What that is like is having very strong normals (good hit confirms off of crouching lights into his command moves, 6AA / 6 LP, LP, standing D, beefy jCD and the like). 

A projectile that is +2 on block (his Yami Barai), a high-functional dragon punch with invincibility on both versions, rekkas that lead into an easy ass hard knockdown scenario into okizeme or for just gaining better positioning, legit empty jump low/throw mix ups with his command grab to boot, his command grab having a bit invincibility... 

Whilst in comparison, Seth is that kind of beast. The same might be said for Gouki, even with his status as a glass cannon taken into consideration. 

I want to say that this is a decent analogy. 

1 minute ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah but man those skull shenanigans. What a great char. And I ate 98% of those overheads.

Tusks st.HP is one of the most satisfying buttons I've hit in a long time.

Tusk hits like a truck.

My main things...

-Goddam the music is good

-Thunder is still one of the best grappler's of all time

-Spinal is hilarious

3 hours ago, GreatDarkHero said:
But, I am going to ask a serious question: 

What is the consensus? How good is Seth? Based on what I've been... observing, she seems to be high tier but is also prone to being  a glass cannon. 

Seth is good, and definitely top tier. However, I think he is being high balled a bit. The only thing he does that needs to be toned down is axe kick imo, but people talk about Seth like every facet of the character needs a nerf. 

Id say its like 50/50 he gets wrecked in winter balance patch. 

16 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Seth is good, and definitely top tier. However, I think he is being high balled a bit. The only thing he does that needs to be toned down is axe kick imo, but people talk about Seth like every facet of the character needs a nerf. 

Id say its like 50/50 he gets wrecked in winter balance patch. 

This is my take as well. He's a solid character riding extra high because he also has the best move in the game (axe kick).

If that gets normalized, he will still be good but perfectly reasonable.