Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

15 hours ago, Sonero said:

I dont know about charismatic. Haven't heard a bad word said about him, so the dude must be a hella stand up guy and all that but...squigga you gotta play. I heard he was really solid at Killer Instinct too (this from a guy I know who is hella good).  

In general though, FGC stuff that's mostly talky talky claptrap irks me. The guy who edits the Panda Global vids, Spininfinite, does a great job making their people entertaining on youtube while keeping the content pretty FGCish. Listening to punk talk about Japanese SFL is  😂/10. 

Brian F has been putting up some hella good vids too. Sajam vids, vy comparison, are jist nasally nonsense without half the personality Jiyuna puts to it.

Its what kids like though. Hella silly how he always has SF5 as the stream game and is just yapping it up. Like c'mon guy, just move to Just Chattin' and wear a lowcut t-shirt.

Brian F has the best SF content out right now. He's a got a solid personality and is probably gonna be allot of people's gateway into being comp. It's a good that he is extremely thorough and down to earth when explaining SF/Fighting game concepts. I feel like even as a seasoned player I find how he tackles fundamentals from both low and high level to be easy to understand. Sajam is good too but his overall outlook lends itself more to a variety of games. Vesper fell off for me. I haven't watched any of his content in forever. Jiyuna is a meme man. He's got knowledge but people like him because he's Aris lite. I've also been seeing videos from guys like Punk and Justin Wong pop up on my recommendeds but I don't have much of a desire to peep them. Also on Ernesto, I think his content and comedy are fucking middling at best. I tried following him but I never felt like his skits landed. I think having people in the FGC like that aren't bad. I know you wouldn't agree but it's okay to have funny non comp content for the shit we like. But the FGC isn't like the Smash community and unless you've got MaximillanDood history you just aren't gonna be visible.

1 hour ago, FlyingVe said:

It doesn’t even bother me much if remakes/sequels suck, it doesn’t make the old Original game stop existing and you can always still play those (cough... Sony... cough)

Yeah likewise. Honestly I'm more in misterBee's camp where I'm getting slowly sick of seeing the same stuff get rolled out over and over.

What made Capcom actually amazing were all the new ideas they came up with. All of their best eras were when they were innovating. The idea of another round of sequels and remakes is.....fine but doesn't really light a fire under me.

I don't want a new Power Stone. What I really want is another idea that hits like Power Stone did back in the day. But that has too much risk; better get started on the RE2R:Remake.

28 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

I think having people in the FGC like that aren't bad. I know you wouldn't agree but it's okay to have funny non comp content for the shit we like.

It isnt about not having non-comp content. Im not a competitive player. Doesnt mean I dont play.

But I hate and completely disagree with the goofy turn that was made some 10 years ago. Suddenly the scene had to cater to and listen to people who dont play or participate solely because tuned in to a stream. It was a whole scene builty by players of a certain type of games for players of those games. Instead of just being upfront about it, a lot of stuff got demonized about it without reason.

Mind you, I've felt like this always. People who dont play and hang out are highly suspect to me. Like in one of our local. Some random broad decided to kick it. Didnt want to learn, had zero interest in watching games. So why are you there?  I'm incredibly welcoming to everybody but wtf? We arent getting together because you need friends. Either play or f--k off.

Its the same with all the cosplay, smash and other nonsense I've been told to accept because its good for the scene.  Plenty of other hobbies exist without glitz, glamour, hanger ons and pro hoes. You dont need any of that for your hobby to be rewarding. The idea that the FGC needed to be eSports has been the biggest and stupidest thing to ever grace it.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

What made Capcom actually amazing were all the new ideas they came up with. All of their best eras were when they were innovating. The idea of another round of sequels and remakes is.....fine but doesn't really light a fire under me.

Yeah  they manage to make most of their titles be a staple of FG community.

Most of the failing were miscalculated risk to milking cash in in modern fighter SFXT, Vanilla SFV and MVCi.

Compare that to Namco's Tekken that some of their title were popular in back in the day like T3-T2 but now their gameplay is so dated.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

I don't want a new Power Stone. What I really want is another idea that hits like Power Stone did back in the day. But that has too much risk; better get started on the RE2R:Remake.

I want a Final Fight franchise with Power Stone like mechanics and like gameplay. 

SFV always has me in a such a weird mix-up. Sometimes you feel like you're really solid, then there are instances where you just feel pretty bad. No other fighting game has ever made me feel like this so often. Funny enough, I've seen some of the bigger names in the scene express the same feelings. I'm going to chalk it up to me overthinking because it doesn't make any sense.

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

It isnt about not having non-comp content. Im not a competitive player. Doesnt mean I dont play.

But I hate and completely disagree with the goofy turn that was made some 10 years ago. Suddenly the scene had to cater to and listen to people who dont play or participate solely because tuned in to a stream. It was a whole scene builty by players of a certain type of games for players of those games. Instead of just being upfront about it, a lot of stuff got demonized about it without reason.

Mind you, I've felt like this always. People who dont play and hang out are highly suspect to me. Like in one of our local. Some random broad decided to kick it. Didnt want to learn, had zero interest in watching games. So why are you there?  I'm incredibly welcoming to everybody but wtf? We arent getting together because you need friends. Either play or f--k off.

Its the same with all the cosplay, smash and other nonsense I've been told to accept because its good for the scene.  Plenty of other hobbies exist without glitz, glamour, hanger ons and pro hoes. You dont need any of that for your hobby to be rewarding. The idea that the FGC needed to be eSports has been the biggest and stupidest thing to ever grace it.

And of course you had to ruin your reasonable point by injecting your unreasonable hate towards cosplay, smfh. 

2 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

SFV always has me in a such a weird mix-up. Sometimes you feel like you're really solid, then there are instances where you just feel pretty bad. No other fighting game has ever made me feel like this so often. Funny enough, I've seen some of the bigger names in the scene express the same feelings. I'm going to chalk it up to me overthinking because it doesn't make any sense.

Don’t forget that the game was designed around big swings, VT comebacks, and in a way to make it easier for newer players to take games off pros...

This doesn't mean you aren't really good at the game - you are (and so are the same players who are constantly placing well in tournaments); the game is just volatile as fuck.

12 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Artist?

Cheshirrr

https://www.pixiv.net/users/21674944

https://twitter.com/cheshirrrrrko

https://www.deviantart.com/cheshirrrrr

The last one, the Mika pic goes by Butcherboy

https://www.pixiv.net/users/2367927

BTW, a great tool i use to find the artists and sources of pics is 

https://saucenao.com/

It has been a life saver since you can even find movies based on still images

Edited by Hecatom

The problems with DS is because Capcom doesn't want to divide to target audience. 

Street Fighter Alpha was already Darkstalkers *LITE* 

I believe there is still a work around with Darkstalkers without dividing the competitive fanbase and fans. 

By treating Darkstalkers like SF spinoff games like USF2 and HSFAlpha

It's not to much work because it's not the sprite editing that is the problem but is more on animating it

Then adding other existing sprite based characters 

Like this 3 

maxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

The problems with DS is because Capcom doesn't want to divide to target audience. 

I believe there is still a work around with Darkstalkers without dividing the competitive fanbase and fans. 

It's not to much work because it's not the sprite editing that is the problem but is more on animating it

Like this 3 

maxresdefault.jpg

Capcom would just make 3D Models now tho.

And if they realy go full PC, I see black for this company.

Besides, the only Sprites they added to USF2 were Ryu and Ken Recolors.

Just now, Mr.Cipher said:

Capcom would just make 3D Models now tho.

And if they realy go full PC, I see black for this company.

Besides, the only Sprites they added to USF2 were Ryu and Ken Recolors.

That's the sad part, SNK was amazing to have multiple version 98 and 2002. Too bad Capcom doesn't do that other than portable exclusive.

8 hours ago, Hecatom said:

snip

After 2 minutes of this video, I am convinced that the people who want Darkstalkers the most are the ones who have never played it. Mind you, I'm down for more goofy crazy DS3 rushdown nonsense. But people definitely don't know how hard you get dunked in that game.

Kinda like how a lot of people want MvC until they get forced into a 6 way mix up. 😂

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

After 2 minutes of this video, I am convinced that the people who want Darkstalkers the most are the ones who have never played it. Mind you, I'm down for more goofy crazy DS3 rushdown nonsense. But people definitely don't know how hard you get dunked in that game.

Kinda like how a lot of people want MvC until they get forced into a 6 way mix up. 😂

By this point many game are only know by the memes surrounding them perpetuated by both the players and detractors of each series.

I kind of chuckled when he said that DS is easy to get into or that is "Balanced"

Like, is true, is not hard like lets say Tekken if you want to be competitively effective, and is not mvc2 levels of unbalanced, but you have to be aware of a lot of stuff and the game has a good chunck of matchups that you will simly eat dirt a good chunck of the time, lol

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Haven't touched Darkstalkers in my life but I've watched a lot of tournament footage over the years.   It's probably the series I want most to be brought back from the dead (lol).  It's like an ArcSys game made by Capcom, we need it...

1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

Like this 3 

I think that DS can coexists with SF.

While there are surely an overlap between people who play SF and people who would like DS, there is also a good portion of players that would play it that dont touch SF at all.

Treating it like a SF spinoff wouldnt really be different as re releasing old games, it would even probably do more damage since it would be seem as capcom halfassing both the game and the effort.

DS covers a niche that neither SF or MVC does.

And also, despite capcom not releasing a new game in decades, the series still has a strong pop culture following, even outside the fgc.

One thing though, i am really sure that if a DS ever happened, there would be some changes to the formula, mostly on the control scheme and probably the addition of an autocombo system, in order to allow the new game to capitalize on the peripheral market around the series.

2 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Haven't touched Darkstalkers in my life but I've watched a lot of tournament footage over the years.   It's probably the series I want most to be brought back from the dead (lol).  It's like an ArcSys game made by Capcom, we need it...

What is ironic since ArcSys formed from old Capcom Devs.

What we need is for Capcom to run headfirst into a wall and get in touch with reality again.

1 minute ago, Mr.Cipher said:

What is ironic since ArcSys formed from old Capcom Devs.

What we need is for Capcom to run headfirst into a wall and get in touch with reality again.

While is true that former Capcom and SNK devs went to ASW.

ASW has been around since the 80's.

They released games on the og nes, and you probably know already, their 1st fg was sailor moon for the snes

I have played the original Darkstalkers in the arcade barely like I think twice. 

Because I would rather play Samsho or SF titles.

It was outshine by popular titles.

And I didn't even know that there was a DS2 or Night Warriors back in the day. This was before internet era.

Yet I played Vampire Savior a lot when it came out, because I got tired with Alpha and Mahvel.

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

You know, it would be glorious if Capcom and ASW teamed up again to release a new DS.

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I think that DS can coexists with SF.

While there are surely an overlap between people who play SF and people who would like DS, there is also a good portion of players that would play it that dont touch SF at all.

Treating it like a SF spinoff wouldnt really be different as re releasing old games, it would even probably do more damage since it would be seem as capcom halfassing both the game and the effort.

DS covers a niche that neither SF or MVC does.

And also, despite capcom not releasing a new game in decades, the series still has a strong pop culture following, even outside the fgc.

One thing though, i am really sure that if a DS ever happened, there would be some changes to the formula, mostly on the control scheme and probably the addition of an autocombo system, in order to allow the new game to capitalize on the peripheral market around the series.

Yeah, I've been thinking this as well.  Darkstalkers would attract SF as well as ASW fans.  As much as I want to see a CvS3 I know that niche has already been filled with new SF and KOF games coming out every 4-5 years.  If Capcom/ASW made a new DS they could make it balls to the wall entertaining instead of focusing on 'e-sports'.  A game to go alongside SF like Marvel did for so long.   

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Like, is true, is not hard like lets say Tekken if you want to be competitively effective, and is not mvc2 levels of unbalanced, but you have to be aware of a lot of stuff and the game has a good chunck of matchups that you will simly eat dirt a good chunck of the time, lol

I tried learning a bit of it but holy nuts, do you get turbo wrecked in that game hard.  Think the DS3 is Balanced meme is up there with the Parries Make 3S Balanced one.

@HeavensCloud

Also, a new DS has the bennefit that is a series that capcom fully owns, so that clears the extra hurdle of dealing with an external company for any decision making on who to add, how to monetize and share revenue.

I know people love mvc, but is clear that between 3 and infinite, Disney has become a pain in the ass to deal with, not to mention, the marvel brand is expensive now.

Capcom is way better doing their own thing, like a new DS, or a brand new vs style game focused on their own ips.

They are Disney levels of drowning on decades of ips and chars that could easily be part of the cast that will allow for a variety of gameplay.

Edit

And yes, a lot of ASW heads play DS since they consider it the grandaddy of the airdasher formula.

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, Hecatom said:

They are Disney levels of drowning on decades of ips and chars that could easily be part of the cast that will allow for a variety of gameplay.

That they are. The other one drowning in IPs is SquareEnix. I remember having a goofy "what if" convo on which game studio we'd buy. I picked SquareEnix because holy nuts, the amount of their library they don't touch is long as hell.

2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I tried learning a bit of it but holy nuts, do you get turbo wrecked in that game hard.  Think the DS3 is Balanced meme is up there with the Parries Make 3S Balanced one.

I still laugh when people say that DS3 is balanced then try to explain how Lilith having a lot of 9:1 matches against her doesnt really matter because one dude won a tournanemtn with her some years ago...

... And people say that with a straight face, lol.

I put it on the same category of GG is super hard to learn.