Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

@Genghis_Dong don’t feel bad. I had the exact same experience last month with AKIRA 4K. Just within the first ten minutes you could tell how Akira has inspired several generations of all type of creators. 

the film and series is considered legendary for a good damn reason. Finally getting be able to see it and the way I was it was absolutely breath taking 

Edited by iStu X
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, iStu X said:

@Genghis_Dong don’t feel bad. I had the exact same experience last month with AKIRA 4K. Just within the first ten minutes you could tell how Akira has inspired several generations of all type of creators. 

the film and series is considered legendary for a good damn reason. Finally getting be able to see it and the way I was it was absolutely breath taking 

I wish I saw the appeal of Akira. I remember being so hyped to see it back in the day and being thoroughly underwhelmed. Shit, I'm old I saw Akira in 1994 👴🏾

I had kinda the same experience. I absolutely respect that movie and appreciate the production of it, but I don't like the movie itself so much. Just a personal preference thing.

I still remember the Orion (?) run of anime VHSes. There was an imprint or whatever they were under. Steamline? Streamline? I can almost see it in my head. That was my jam for awhile. 

God I'm old. 

Watched "The Evil Dead" for the first time the other night. Very very weird coming to that movie having watched the 2nd and 3rd so many times beforehand. That movie must have been wild to see when it first came out. That movie is so goddamn goopy. 

58 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Watched "The Evil Dead" for the first time the other night. Very very weird coming to that movie having watched the 2nd and 3rd so many times beforehand. That movie must have been wild to see when it first came out. That movie is so goddamn goopy. 

I will never understand the appeal of these movies 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Will all of these be available with the Hbo max default fees or will there be an upcharge similar to Mulan 2020 on Disney Plus?

From what I’ve read the plan is to release them free on the service for one month after the initial release. After which they will be removed from the service until shortly after the physical/digital release. 
(By shortly I’m guessing about a year) 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It's only a matter of time that this is going to become the norm. Sure, I like the theaters, but this just gives me armament to get a new TV. 

Yeh. I haven’t done my “me day” where I got lunch, movies, shopping since March probably. Maybe February. It sucks. But not having hasn’t made my life worse or anything. So I can deal without it.

the only time I’ve been to the theatre since March is 2 months ago (I think?) when I saw the 4K Re-Release AKIRA and I was the only person in the auditorium seeing it. 

I've been to the cinema only 4 times this year where usually I would go around 10 times per year.

Pre corona

Birds of Prey

Sonic 

Post Corona. 

New Mutants 

Tenet 

I'm happy Wonder Woman 1984 is still coming to cinemas since I don't have HBO Max.

If possible, I will wait till early January to see it on a random weekday to minimize crowds and hopefully the virus.

17 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I've been to the cinema only 4 times this year where usually I would go around 10 times per year.

Pre corona

Birds of Prey

Sonic 

Post Corona. 

New Mutants 

Tenet 

I'm happy Wonder Woman 1984 is still coming to cinemas since I don't have HBO Max.

If possible, I will wait till early January to see it on a random weekday to minimize crowds and hopefully the virus.

I have not been to the theaters at all this year. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

I went to see Birds of Prey, My Hero Academia and the Guy Ritchie film The Gentlemen before the pandemic shut everything down. Haven't gone yet but only because Tenet was not amazing per reviews and folk I spoke with that saw it in theaters to risk it.

Would have went out for Dune for certain but I guess if they ever put HBO Max on Roku or WebOS I won't have to.

16 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Pre corona

Birds of Prey

Sonic 

Post Corona. 

New Mutants 

Tenet 

I'm in the same boat. Last thing I saw was Sonic. Can't even remember what I saw before that. Corona literally cut Sonic's theatrical run. Haven't been to theatre since corona....I miss it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll put this here too.

I saw Monster Hunter with a free movie pass I got from my folks for the new cinema cafe that opened near the family house.  

I'm almost certain that when all is said and done it's going to be considered a more faithful adaptation than whatever Live-Action Tekken garbage the MK reboot sounds like.

Full review C&P from the MonHun thread:

So like many people here, I saw who was behind the Monster Hunter movie and figured if I was ever going to see it, it was going to be on Netflix or Amazon Prime because I had nothing better to do. I decided to expedite my viewing due to two reasons: 1) the movie tie-in with Monster Hunter World was far more effort than Capcom typically put in their adaptation collabs so perhaps there was more to it and 2) I saw that Toho was responsible for creating the monsters which meant at the very least, I could judge it as a kaiju film.

What I got was what I expected after having done a bit more research and keeping in mind how the movie tie-in missions went: it was never insulting to me as a fan, but it left me wondering how much better it could have been if it was consistent about the mood.

Anything involving the New World, from the ships to the weapons to the characters from Monster Hunter World that were featured, everything was daisies. You could easily tell who everyone was supposed to be, and not only were they in character, but they well within the scope of the Monster Hunter universe with how they laid out the plot line with the Ancient Civilization and the Elder Dragon when it was time to talk about it. Meowscular Chef, like everyone else in the film who hailed from MHW, was pitch perfect. This is largely because Anderson didn't overreach like he did when he had to make up a plot for the Resident Evil films. Rather than completely alter the story, he chose to actually adapt it...or least, he did so whenever he wanted to focus on them. The first scene of the film and everything after the Wildspire Waste...if that had been maintained for the whole movie, the verdict would have been FAR less divisive.

Here's where it got dicey.

The trailer for this film showed off the military goons getting wrecked so naturally people are going to think that's the whole premise of the movie. Given that Monster Hunter protagonists are just CAWs, their backstory can be anything your headcanon wishes them to be. If Milla's character Artemis, and the rest of her doomed platoon, had acted the way they did and everything still happened the way they did, and it fit the context of the whimsical nature of Monster Hunter...again, the verdict would have been far less divisive.

The biggest thing that holds this movie back is the contrast in mood. Monster Hunter shouldn't be grimdark, and the early parts of the film with the body horror involving Nerscyllas, while effective in being creepy and unsettling, didn't really hit that Monster Hunter feel. The good news is that the mood slowly but surely got back to Monster Hunter feel as the Field Leader (Tony Jaa) entered the movie and established himself as the secondary protagonist. From there he was able to lead Milla's characrter Artemis to more Monster Huntery things like setting traps, crafting materials and ultimately using the weapons and tech you expect from Monster Hunter. Artemis using whatever was left of her military gear to infuse her weapons and Claw pods with Blast element was pretty cool.

As for the monsters themselves, while the body horror bit was weird, once it came time for raw destruction the Large Monsters featured in the film, Black Diablos and Rathalos, were handled wonderfully. Toho are masters of their craft. They proved it over the decades and in the last few years not just with their Godzilla characters, but with Detective Pikachu and now Monster Hunter. Strictly as a kaiju film this is a solid B. Since it's more than that, and an adaptation of a beloved franchise, we're gonna grade it differently.

Verdict: C

If the mood of the film matched every scene that had the Admiral, the Fiver Friends, Handler, Meowscular etc, this movie would have been anything from B to even an A. We'll see if Anderson can dial it back given the cliffhanger promised a ton of stuff on the Ancient Civilization and fighting an Elder Dragon, and I completely get it if people are gonna believe it when they see it assuming they haven't been scared off by his name already, but the grimdark mood really didn't have a place in Monster Hunter even if the big bad monsters like Diablos and Rathalos theoretically lend themselves well to it. But hey, if there's ever a Rotten Vale movie with Vaal Hazak as a final boss, maybe it wouldn't be so out of place.

Edited by Psychoblue
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...