Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?


Recommended Posts

I didn't mind Arcana except when it allowed Jax to "do what he did" , which retarded and made no sense. It worked for everyone else tho in an "organic" way. Wasn't a neccessary concept but I attribute it to Outworld mumbo jumbo 

Link to comment

Honestly, I'd just rather them have powers with zero explanation as to how they got them or how they work. Not like MK is known for its realism 

 

But we all seem to agree on the fact that the major problem with this movie is adding unnecessary things that weren't ever in the game, no doubt studio meddling is to blame for that. Sometimes less is more... 

Link to comment

I had no idea that was Reiko at first. I only knew the MK4 version , where he looked like a Chris O Donnell ninja lol.

 

After Sub, Kabal was probably my favorite villain. I'm surprised he actually got dialogue. This is a movie where the henchmen were better than the main villain (Shang)

Edited by DangerousJ
Link to comment
2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

we all seem to agree on the fact that the major problem with this movie is adding unnecessary things that weren't ever in the game, no doubt studio meddling is to blame for that. Sometimes less is more... 

This seems to be a problem with movies in general. Your audience isn't that damn stupid. Everything doesn't need to be explained. Sometimes, it is what it is. 

 

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I didn't mind Arcana except when it allowed Jax to "do what he did" , which retarded and made no sense. It worked for everyone else tho in an "organic" way. Wasn't a neccessary concept but I attribute it to Outworld mumbo jumbo 

Arcanas are a magic mcguffin. It's like how in bleach everyone's bankais are random as fuck and vaguely related to personalities, what you do in life, and what you may need. 

 

Im so used to this kinda thing in anime it didn't bother me one fuckin bit. Like they went a very anime route with this movie.. Including a two day training arc to unlock your abilities 😂

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Arcanas are a magic mcguffin. It's like how in bleach everyone's bankais are random as fuck and vaguely related to personalities, what you do in life, and what you may need. 

 

Im so used to this kinda thing in anime it didn't bother me one fuckin bit. Like they went a very anime route with this movie.. Including a two day training arc to unlock your abilities 😂

That training montage was dope. Lui Kang abusing the sweep while Kano complained was a nice nod to the games and funny 

Link to comment

One thing the movie nailed was Sub Zero, to me, he (special nod to Kano as well) MADE this movie. Having him do is best Jason Voorhees impression is a different take on the character I haven't seen, yet it somehow works. You legit felt dread anytime the surroundings started icing up on screen. 

 

Honestly, they could've made the whole movie about Sub Zero stalking and killing in horror movie fashion and I'd have loved it. Don't know who made the call to turn him into a boogeyman but they nailed it. I always thought he was a cool character, just kinda dull in the games but this take made me love him

Edited by HD-Man
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

One thing the movie nailed was Sub Zero, to me, he (special nod to Kano as well) MADE this movie. Having him do is best Jason Voorhees impression is a different take on the character I haven't seen, yet it somehow works. You legit felt dread anytime the surroundings started icing up on screen. 

 

Honestly, they could've made the whole movie about Sub Zero stalking and killing in horror movie fashion and I'd have loved it. Don't know who made the call to turn him into a boogeyman but they nailed it. I always thought he was a cool character, just kinda dull in the games but this take made me love him

The prologue of the movie should have been the movie. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Maxx said:

 

Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

 

7 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I didn't mind Arcana except when it allowed Jax to "do what he did" , which retarded and made no sense.

At least you got up to speed on that concept.

Mortal Kombat lore has long established that the characters powered by either or combination of chi, mysticism, straight up magic and/or advance tech & cybernetics.

 

I mean Fucking Arcana...

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, CDB2k20 said:

Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

 

At least you got up to speed on that concept.

Mortal Kombat lore has long established that the characters powered by either or combination of chi, mysticism, straight up magic and/or advance tech & cybernetics.

 

I mean Fucking Arcana...

spacer.png

 

LOL we aren't even in ancient ninja clans abusing advanced cybernetics stage of the lore yet. 😂

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Maxx said:

LOL we aren't even in ancient ninja clans abusing advanced cybernetics stage of the lore yet. 😂

In that case, Jax shouldn't have lost his arms and replaced them with mechanical ones this early.

😂

 

Also, Kano had cybernetics in his face from the jump in MK 1.

 

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

In that case, Jax shouldn't have lost his arms and replaced them with mechanical ones this early.

😂

 

Also, Kano had cybernetics in his face from the jump in MK 1.

 

He shouldn't have died this early lol. I need zombie kano for the sequel 

Link to comment

Just throwing this out there...the only thing that Annihilation has arguably to stand on is the fights.  Everything else is absolute shit.    Anyone who can actually watch Annihilation in its entirety while seeing Johnny get killed in 5 minutes, only 2 returning actors for the first movie, the shitty ass editing which included the use of Rain getting tossed in a pit of fire twice and the studio thinking nobody would catch it, Sheeva doing....????? then getting squashed (like Nitara didn't do shit in 2021 but Sheeva? lmao), characters coming out of fucking nowhere with no explanation, "MOTHER...You're alive?" "TOO BAD YOU....WILL DIIIEEE", the god damn metal gyro spheres used for transportation, that amazingly hilarious sudden shit explosion that occurs after Sony and Jax jump towards to scene to indicate the building exploded, "PRETTY COOL HUH???....IT'S MY ANIMALITY." and the very last being that god damn screech fest that happens during the climax between Liu and Shao that probably killed portions of any child's ear drums if they went to the theater to see it has lost their minds.  Saying you didn't like 2021?  That's fine.  Saying 2021 is bad?  That's fine too.   Saying 2021 is worse than Annihilation?  No...you need to get admitted to psych ward.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Just throwing this out there...the only thing that Annihilation has arguably to stand on is the fights.  Everything else is absolute shit.    Anyone who can actually watch Annihilation in its entirety while seeing Johnny get killed in 5 minutes, only 2 returning actors for the first movie, the shitty ass editing which included the use of Rain getting tossed in a pit of fire twice and the studio thinking nobody would catch it, Sheeva doing....????? then getting squashed (like Nitara didn't do shit in 2021 but Sheeva? lmao), characters coming out of fucking nowhere with no explanation, "MOTHER...You're alive?" "TOO BAD YOU....WILL DIIIEEE", the god damn metal gyro spheres used for transportation, that amazingly hilarious sudden shit explosion that occurs after Sony and Jax jump towards to scene to indicate the building exploded, "PRETTY COOL HUH???....IT'S MY ANIMALITY." and the very last being that god damn screech fest that happens during the climax between Liu and Shao that probably killed portions of any child's ear drums if they went to the theater to see it has lost their minds.  Saying you didn't like 2021?  That's fine.  Saying 2021 is bad?  That's fine too.   Saying 2021 is worse than Annihilation?  No...you need to get admitted to psych ward.

The first 10 minutes with Scorpion and Bi-han back in the 1600s, was incredibly good and that alone nudges MK 2021 above MK: Annihilation.

 

 

Link to comment
On 4/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, Maxx said:

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

RE: Mileena bro so on point. I was watching the movie when damn who dat. Eh movie wasnt awful but bad/mediocre. Good 20-25 mins of the movie were absolutely boring. First scene was dope. Some fights were cool too. They coylda just remade the 95 movie with todays tech and get a much better product. Liu Kang was a pussy, Goro is supposed to be a sub boss and dies first smh

 

Covid hasnt helped with this but I am getting sick of studios "appealing to a broader audience" aka having an introductory character to explain ALL the franchise in 20 mins so everyone "can enjoy the movie". MH movie suffered from this too and guess what, it fucking sucked. Fuck that movie. Why cant they just make a good movie that will attract ppl on its own merits? Guess that is too hard

Link to comment
On 4/30/2021 at 12:51 AM, locoghoul said:

Watched Nobody. Movie was very entertaining especially Christopher Lloyd (isnt he like 90 by now?

He's 82.

 

Every time he was on screen was a joy to be seen. 

 

I just marathoned Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs. Kong (since it went off streaming at midnight). I enjoyed Skull Island. Godzilla vs. Kong was pretty forgettable. The final fight did have a few cool moments, but a lot things in the movie just seemed to be because reasons. 

Link to comment
On 5/1/2021 at 1:09 AM, OPTIMUS124 said:

He's 82.

 

Every time he was on screen was a joy to be seen. 

 

I just marathoned Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs. Kong (since it went off streaming at midnight). I enjoyed Skull Island. Godzilla vs. Kong was pretty forgettable. The final fight did have a few cool moments, but a lot things in the movie just seemed to be because reasons. 

Eisa Gonzalez (villain's daughter) literally woke me up (and my little buddy too) during the Kong arc

Link to comment

Had an impromptu Dumb Movie Day with a buddy yesterday. Quick thoughts:

 

Willy's Wonderland

Spoiler

This was a blast. I feel like this was marketed in a misleading way: the trailers I saw made it seem like sort of a slasher movie but it isn't that at all. Its sort of like a live action, psychopathic cartoon parody of a slasher movie with this same premise. It was a ton of fun whenever Nic Cage was beating the shit out of an animatronic animal which is thankfully a decent chunk of the movie (there is also a really fun pinball scene). It drags a bit whenever other characters are front and center or when they are doing lore dumps but those moments don't linger too long. Come for the ridiculous violence, stay for the remarkably sexy Willy's Wonderland song that shows up 3/4 of the way through the movie.

 

Guns Akimbo

Spoiler

I felt like this movie was carried by Dan Radcliffe, though the rest of the cast is also really entertaining. The story and writing are kind of cringey with how it tries to tap into gamer/nerd/streaming culture but it doesn't lean into that too hard (Gamer this isn't) and at a certain point it mostly fades into the background so it didn't really bother me like I thought it might at the start. The action is okay, though in a post John Wick world it felt like a lot of flash without anything substantial or remarkable. That is kind of the whole movie in a nutshell. Still a fun time though, just go in knowing that the movie is dumb as a bag of hammers and almost exactly as blunt. 

 

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Man what a cast. Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Carla Gugino, Lena Headey, Karen Gillan, etc. etc.

Yeah the comment section is crying and I'm just like.. I like good choreo and violence. I don't give a crap if women or men lead it. Someone gotta get stabbed 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select