Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

On 10/30/2021 at 3:25 AM, Maxx said:

Finally watches dune. I've seen every version and this one is probably the best because it makes the most sense lol. Space Jesus out here doin work to Hans Zimmer music blowing my ear drum out. 

I went back and watched Dune 1984 after seeing the new one. The new one is so much better, its not funny. Splitting the story improved the pacing substantially, but the biggest improvement are the Harkonnen. In the 1984 film, they were so over the top mustache twirly that is comical. They had zero subtlety at all. They were just flat out bad. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I went back and watched Dune 1984 after seeing the new one. The new one is so much better, its not funny. Splitting the story improved the pacing substantially, but the biggest improvement are the Harkonnen. In the 1984 film, they were so over the top mustache twirly that is comical. They had zero subtlety at all. They were just flat out bad. 

David lynch.. David lynched the fuck outta the original dune. Someone needed to reign his loony ass in 

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I've never heard of this site before so take this with a HUGE grain of salt. If it is true, I'm willing to see where this goes and give it a shot 

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-winston-duke-black-panther.html

If they aren't going to recast T'Challa then I'd be fine with that. I really enjoyed Winston Duke's performance. I still think they should recast T'Challa. T'Challa himself is an iconic character and I'd have a hard time believing Chadwick Boseman would want him sidelined due to his unfortunate passing. He knew how important of an icon T'Challa was to young black boys. People underestimate the positive effect that even a fictional character can have one someone. Look at what Luke Skywalker did for Star Wars Theory.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I just saw Ghostbusters Afterlife. I really liked it.

There are 2 end credit scenes -one during credits and one after.

Pros:

The story while familiar was told with good buildup. The jokes were mostly delivered in a lowkey way unlike 2016.

There were a lot of practical effects and the CGI was somewhat modest.

Phoebe and Podcast were my favorite characters and the buildup to catching the first ghost was great. 

How the passing of Harold Ramis was acknowledged was done tactfully  and there is a touching part at the end.

The original score from the 84 film is used and the new music is in a similar style.

Paul Rudd is his standard funny self but fits like a glove with these characters.

Cons:

Lucky needed some more screentime/character imo.

The film leans toward being a mostly serious scifi film with occasional jokes than being a scifi/comedy mix like the first two. Though it can be forgiven for the film being generally good.

Im a scaredy cat who doesnt watch horror, but I wish there were more scary moments.

Overall: Jason Reitman does the franchise and his dad proud and treats the franchise legacy a lot better than many of ther directors trying to revive a dormant franchise.

8.5/10

On 11/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, Maxx said:

I'm almost sure he was filming both movies back to back lol. Story wise I get it... He's supposed to be a whole different person disgruntled mentally unstable i gueas

He was. He was flying from one set to the other (sometimes over seas) every few days. 

Edited by iStu X
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched The Matrix: Resurrections. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. For me it comes off as a earnest trolling that is also a legitimate sequel. 

Within the first 10 minutes you get a sign that says "For those that like to eat shit". I knew not to take it too seriously after that. The exchange between Tom and his boss was the nail in the coffin. 

Having said that, I think it was trying to say something about the film making process and how stories continue. At least all wasn't for not (coughFORCEAWAKENScough). To be honest, the action scenes bored me.I was much more engaged in the world when someone wasn't trying to kill the other person. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Watched The Matrix: Resurrections. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. For me it comes off as a earnest trolling that is also a legitimate sequel. 

Within the first 10 minutes you get a sign that says "For those that like to eat shit". I knew not to take it too seriously after that. The exchange between Tom and his boss was the nail in the coffin. 

Having said that, I think it was trying to say something about the film making process and how stories continue. At least all wasn't for not (coughFORCEAWAKENScough). To be honest, the action scenes bored me.I was much more engaged in the world when someone wasn't trying to kill the other person. 

This is probably the most balanced review of it I've heard. 

A movie so weird it should not be ignored:

From Wikipedia:

New York Ninja is a 2021 American action film written, directed by and starring John Liu. Although shot in 1984, the film did not see a completed edit or release until 2021, when its footage was discovered and restored by film preservation and home video distributor Vinegar Syndrome.

New York Ninja was filmed in New York City, and was initially shelved after its original distribution company went bankrupt. The abandoned footage was eventually acquired by Vinegar Syndrome, who, despite not having access to any audio, storyboards, or scripts for the film, reconstructed the movie just on the available footage alone.

Edited by Jurassic
3 hours ago, Maxx said:

This is probably the most balanced review of it I've heard. 

The action sequences in this movie are refried ass. You would think there would be something decent somewhere, but it isn't. I believe this is why people are so taken about it. It is several steps down from what the movie has done. It's also shot poorly. This feels like a modern "Borne" film than a Matrix movie during those parts. I honestly believe that if the action was on par to the other films with a better sense of cinematography, it'd be a different conversation. 

At the same time, this movie also made a legitimate sequel where it honors everything in the previous movies made legitimate sense for how the world was at the time. The world building stuff it top-notch. There wasn't a "somehow Palpatine returned" or "it's just a bigger Death Star" moment. You actually have a progression of the universe and makes sense as to why this movie exists. The meta narrative helped bring it together. 

I really wanted to love this movie. It could easily have been a contender for best sequel "reboot" ever done. It's probably one of the most self aware movies I've seen and at the same time fails at doing one of the things that it's known for. The story is there but Lana needs to have some help in the visuals if this is to continue this way. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

@OPTIMUS124The subpar action is certainly a big part of the overall perception issue. I agree that they had some good concepts. However, like the action, I feel they are poorly executed. One of my issues was apparently completely avoidable. 

Spoiler

Apparently Hugo Weaving was willing to come back but they didn't want to shoot around his schedule. Smith being Hugo Weaving would definitely resolved my issue with Smith being Smith in name only.

All that said, for me the meta concept backfired because I felt their lack of follow through turned the movie into what they were pantomiming. The constant need to show footage from the first movie took me out of the film as well. It was just a reminder that what I was watching is a pale imitation of it's predecessor.  Plus one of my biggest problems was

Spoiler

Swarm mode. It made no sense. The whole point of Agents were that they were super powered entities that neutralized targets to minimize casualties. Every casualty is a "lost battery" for the machines. Them destroying their own power source en masse made no logical sense. When the antagonist is a machine intelligence that lack of logic was impossible for me to look past. Humans doing things against their own best interest can be handwaved away because we are often irrational beings.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
50 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

One of my issues was apparently completely avoidable.

If this is true, then the studio should kick rocks on that one. I didn't mind the new take, but it would have drove it home soooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

50 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

All that said, for me the meta concept backfired because I felt their lack of follow through turned the movie into what they were pantomiming. The constant need to show footage from the first movie took me out of the film as well.

The clips felt so on the nose where I wanted to roll my eyes. It was a ROTJ: Blu-ray Edition  "No" moment. Show me vs. tell me. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
2 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

In the first movie, the Morpheus interrogation scene is what made Agent Smith. To see his tone change as he dives into confessing his hate for the species simultaneously showing how "human" he is was great.  

The reaction of the other Agents to him during that also lets you know Smith isn't your typical Agent program. They look genuinely surprised by his activities. Neo and Trinity showing up puts a halt to what could have to been some interesting interactions between the Smith and the other two Agents.

Thanks to the decision of "not leaving the house to watch The Matrix Resurrections", I have HBO Max this month. I watched an old movie I had in my Google watchlist, Real Steel. 

I was pretty surprised. The boxing matches were directed quite well and the story had some decent emotional weight (particularly the end). The "I've been waiting my whole life moment" got an honest solo-tear out of me. It's one of those "I'd have been OK seeing this in the theaters" situations. There was one thing that dated the hell out of this movie. The final fight took place in the "Bing Arena" 🤣.