Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

On 10/30/2021 at 3:25 AM, Maxx said:

Finally watches dune. I've seen every version and this one is probably the best because it makes the most sense lol. Space Jesus out here doin work to Hans Zimmer music blowing my ear drum out. 

I went back and watched Dune 1984 after seeing the new one. The new one is so much better, its not funny. Splitting the story improved the pacing substantially, but the biggest improvement are the Harkonnen. In the 1984 film, they were so over the top mustache twirly that is comical. They had zero subtlety at all. They were just flat out bad. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I went back and watched Dune 1984 after seeing the new one. The new one is so much better, its not funny. Splitting the story improved the pacing substantially, but the biggest improvement are the Harkonnen. In the 1984 film, they were so over the top mustache twirly that is comical. They had zero subtlety at all. They were just flat out bad. 

David lynch.. David lynched the fuck outta the original dune. Someone needed to reign his loony ass in 

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I've never heard of this site before so take this with a HUGE grain of salt. If it is true, I'm willing to see where this goes and give it a shot 

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-winston-duke-black-panther.html

If they aren't going to recast T'Challa then I'd be fine with that. I really enjoyed Winston Duke's performance. I still think they should recast T'Challa. T'Challa himself is an iconic character and I'd have a hard time believing Chadwick Boseman would want him sidelined due to his unfortunate passing. He knew how important of an icon T'Challa was to young black boys. People underestimate the positive effect that even a fictional character can have one someone. Look at what Luke Skywalker did for Star Wars Theory.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
16 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Still bugs me Keanu didn't bother to atleast shave or trim his hair, he looks like John Wick cosplaying as Neo lol

I'm almost sure he was filming both movies back to back lol. Story wise I get it... He's supposed to be a whole different person disgruntled mentally unstable i gueas

I just saw Ghostbusters Afterlife. I really liked it.

There are 2 end credit scenes -one during credits and one after.

Pros:

The story while familiar was told with good buildup. The jokes were mostly delivered in a lowkey way unlike 2016.

There were a lot of practical effects and the CGI was somewhat modest.

Phoebe and Podcast were my favorite characters and the buildup to catching the first ghost was great. 

How the passing of Harold Ramis was acknowledged was done tactfully  and there is a touching part at the end.

The original score from the 84 film is used and the new music is in a similar style.

Paul Rudd is his standard funny self but fits like a glove with these characters.

Cons:

Lucky needed some more screentime/character imo.

The film leans toward being a mostly serious scifi film with occasional jokes than being a scifi/comedy mix like the first two. Though it can be forgiven for the film being generally good.

Im a scaredy cat who doesnt watch horror, but I wish there were more scary moments.

Overall: Jason Reitman does the franchise and his dad proud and treats the franchise legacy a lot better than many of ther directors trying to revive a dormant franchise.

8.5/10

On 11/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, Maxx said:

I'm almost sure he was filming both movies back to back lol. Story wise I get it... He's supposed to be a whole different person disgruntled mentally unstable i gueas

He was. He was flying from one set to the other (sometimes over seas) every few days. 

Edited by iStu X