Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

• 2 weeks later...

My niggas, if you have not watched it already, give Nobody a chance.

Really good and entertaining.

I do hope it does great, because i want to see more movies from the people behind it.

I know Wick has done great, but imo, having a movie not on the Wick universe doing good will help cement them as staples of good action flicks, imo.

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Spoiler

I thought movie was solid. I still think the original was better. It didn't have gore that this one had but I felt that story was more cohesive. That said, this movie thankfully washed the taste of Annihilation out of my mouth. One of my theories about Cole I had after watching the 7 minute intro panned out and I think anyone of you guys probably came to the same conclusion.  I thought the parallel between Cole and another character was nice.I thought Kano, Sonya, and obviously Sub-Zero were the highlights. I think the Sonya was the best version of the character in live action. Kano, I have to get props to the actor to me he had the hardest act to follow from the original film and he was good.  Scorpion was good but he isn't in the movie as much you'd think. The rest of the character I felt were solid. The only characters I thought were truly weak were Nitara and Reiko. Reiko was a dumb oaf and Nitara was just there. Honorable mention to Kung Lao. I really liked him. Even though I have this tagged. I won't go into spoilers. It's only the first day....for the states. Last thought until everyone can see it is, the weakest part of the movie to me is that it's clearly a prologue. The sequel, if they make one, is really going to be the Mortal Kombat people were expecting. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

The only movie I wanna see is Nobody. Mainly cause I wanna see Bob Odenkirk go John Wick on people. 

I have no interest in Godzilla vs. Kong or MK reboot. The Monster-Verse legendary has created is just flat out bad. 

As for Mortal Kombat it just doesn’t look that great to me. To me, everything looks like a SyFy movie. 

Edited by iStu X
55 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I'd rank MK Reboot about a 6.5-7, seems fair. I feel like a certain character wasn't needed, also felt the movie probably could've been longer. But they've built a solid base, so the next movie SHOULD be great

That's about how I feel (just saw it). It's aight.

Going in, I resigned myself to the story being garbage and was pretty much just hanging on for the fight scenes. Even with that, the story is weak enough that the action, while good, isn't good enough to distract from that. It's strange. I can tell some actual fandom and passion went into this. But the script just fell down. It's not like the game is very good story wise either though. I'm hoping a sequel  (if this gets one) does better.

Maybe a second watch will make me feel better about it.

14 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

That's about how I feel (just saw it). It's aight.

Going in, I resigned myself to the story being garbage and was pretty much just hanging on for the fight scenes. Even with that, the story is weak enough that the action, while good, isn't good enough to distract from that. It's strange. I can tell some actual fandom and passion went into this. But the script just fell down. It's not like the game is very good story wise either though. I'm hoping a sequel  (if this gets one) does better.

Maybe a second watch will make me feel better about it.

Story was definitely the weakest aspect, seem kinda rushed at points. It's like when it finally starts to get back interesting, the movie is over. 

I like most of the actors, the action and characterization was great is just felt lazy towards the end. I think they should definitely consult more with Netherealms on the story next time

Maybe when they get to the actual you know what in the sequel, things will finally clique. 

27 minutes ago, iStu X said:

The only movie I wanna see is Nobody. Mainly cause I wanna see Bob Odenkirk go John Wick on people. 

I have no interest in Godzilla vs. Kong or MK reboot. The Monster-Verse legendary has created is just flat out bad. 

As for Mortal Kombat it just doesn’t look that great to me. To me, everything looks like a SyFy movie. 

I thought you liked Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019?

Didnt you bust a nut (figuratively speaking) over it?

6 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I thought you liked Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019?

Didnt you bust a nut (figuratively speaking) over it?

Nope

8B322E79-E920-4D19-824A-3479831C0A40.thumb.jpeg.627255b952c36648f328a00ad3166d97.jpeg

this was just initial reaction. I could bitch a lot more about it. It was fucking horrid. I had to stop myself several times from walking out 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Story was definitely the weakest aspect, seem kinda rushed at points. It's like when it finally starts to get back interesting, the movie is over. 

I like most of the actors, the action and characterization was great is just felt lazy towards the end. I think they should definitely consult more with Netherealms on the story next time

Maybe when they get to the actual you know what in the sequel, things will finally clique. 

Yeah. I'm hoping for something better next time. But I don't get why MK can't get anything above an alright movie made about it. It's been one of the top selling fighting games for years now. The lore is ripe for a good movie or series, despite the overarching storyline being stupid. Yet every attempt at a movie or series over the last few years has been OK at best. Must be the budget or something. Even with history, they don't have Marvel money to throw at an MK movie to get good special effects, good action AND a good script. That's my only guess.

I just saw MK 2021 on HBO Max. 

Like Sonic 2020, it is a "grilled cheese" fim. (Mildly decent/palatable)

Pros:

Fight choreography was above average. The Fatalities were excellent. Many powers from the game are seen. Decent special fx for the budget.

Sub Zero/Bi Han is portrayed as an unstoppable horror movie villain. His powers/costume were great. Joe Taslim is the MVP of the movie

Scorpion isnt in the film as much as Id like, but Sanada is the second MVP. His acting/fight etc is great.

Lots of easter eggs and references. 

I personally put Kano in 3rd place. His wisecracks were some of the few that landed. Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Sonya are good in terms of character/powers. 

The "arcana" reasoning for their dfferent power manifestations worked for the movie.

Kons:

If this was a comic, it would be called MK issue 0. The traditional tournament structure seen in MK 1995 and Scorpion Revenge is largely ignored.

The settings for many of the fights is relatively bland. Mobile homes, a generic dirt pit, Outworld is very generic. 

There is no build up or setup to many of the concepts or characters. Regular folks who know nothing of MK will be lost. Perhaps they needed more time in editing?

Raiden sucks ass. Now I know why that guy barely said 2 words in 3 Thor films. Raiden is the god of exposition and mentoring , but this dude's accent is so thick,. I can barely understand him. Also, when he should be acting on behalf of the Earthrealm peeps, he is nowhere to be seen. The costume is mediocre. They needed someone older with some gravitas and a better English speaking voice. Shang Tsung is a disappointment as well. Not as bad as Raiden, but he just barks orders to underlings. No real enmity with any characters. He is supposed to be a sorcerer, but he only does 1 significant act of magic in the whole film. A friend of mine asked me later if he was the emperor of Outworld. Sigh.

Compared to those 2 above, I dont hate Cole. He is not Jar Jar Binks. However, I feel nothing, good or bad. He is mediocre. They try to give him the family members and put them in peril, but I still don't care. His fight scenes are serviceable, but he is outclassed by Liu, Scorp/Sub etc. He has a konnection to a klassic character and that is the only mildly interesting thing about him. Really, that person should have been in Cole's place.

The music is disappointing. The 1995 film had some nice music like the guitars in Goro Vs Art Lean, some spooky otherworldly tunes when Shang was doing stuff, and some good licensed rock/techno to pump you up.  The 1995 soundtrack was the first audio CD I ever bought.  

They use "F" too much and its not funny a lot of the times. 

Overall:  7/10

A "decent" start. I hope Cole takes a backseat. Im sad about a certain klassic character's death since this person made his/her theatrical debut in this film.

For reference..

MK 1995 -   8/10  (Still the best)

MK Annihilation    4/10  (Still the worst)

MKL: Scorpion's Revenge      7.5/10

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

GO

SEE

THIS

NOAW!

For a 90 minute film (first movie I saw in theaters since Knives Out), it does everything pretty well. There is a certain person in the movie that I didn't expect to see that is the standout character in every scene they are in. 

You are out your fucking mind if this is barely above annihilation. Is it cheesy? Fuck yeah... Is it superior to the first... Maybe maybe not. I'd like to see how a Gen z kid thinks of this compared to the first. But I had fun... It knew what it was. It literally let us whisper toasty into the void and not feel weird about it. 

They clearly had fun making it. There is Def room for improvement. But it's not hot flaming garbage... I've seen a fuck ton of bad martial arts movies.... Alot. This is still entertaining. 

5 hours ago, iStu X said:

I would say that you should give Kong vs Godzilla a chance, is dumb, but is dumb fun.

Alongside Skull Island, i think both of those are good, and is a movie that goes ham on the monster on monster action, which at the end is what we are in for.

11 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Overall:  7/10

A "decent" start. I hope Cole takes a backseat. Im sad about a certain klassic character's death since this person made his/her theatrical debut in this film.

For reference..

MK 1995 -   8/10  (Still the best)

MK Annihilation    4/10  (Still the worst)

MKL: Scorpion's Revenge      7.5/10

Office Space No GIF

7/10 is waaaaay the hell too generous for MK 2021.

The Scorpion origin opening, Joe Talism Sub-Zero, the actors for Jax & Kano, are worth that.

This shit earns MK Annihilation's rating.

A compilation of MK 11's story mode & MK Aftermath in 4K quality is better than fucking MK 2021!!

Edited by CDB2k20
7 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Ugh. I don't buy the "let the artist roam free with no editors"  notion, but still: studios need to stop throwing bullshit in just for the hell of it. I can think of no reason we couldn't have been following a more known character like Liu Kang or Sonya.

I wonder how much other fuckery that we're not privy to messed this movie up.

The idea was that Cole served as the newcomer without knowledge of the world, the audience surrogate.

The problem is that we have Johnny Cage for that.

My guess is that Warner wanted to create their own thing while creating an oc that was related to spoilers

Man, I just got to the theater and almost immediately left. There was a huuuuuge line at the ticket booth and the fandango redemption kiosks. It made me suuuuper nervous. Then I remember Demon Slayer’s movie is in theaters right now. 

so I felt a lot better about the whole situation. Being surrounded by weebs would be the worst. At least at cons I could get cute shit. With generic shonen movie I just get weebs being weebs and no real positives or gains out of it. 

Edited by iStu X