Stage Select

The Movie Thread: Wait? Not Everything is Marvel or DC!?

11 hours ago, CDB2k20 said:

I put MK 2021, one rung above MK Annihilation.

But it is still:

Fire Trash GIF

I don't know anymore.  Someone else who just saw it brought up that at least Annihilation had a climax and at least one relatable protagonist that you could hitch your wagon to, get a payoff to his conflict and last to the end (Jax).  It's the same reason I defended Monster Hunter, if you didn't like Milla, you had an actual likable protagonist who was funny and charming (Jaa) who you could get behind instead.

Who am I supposed to get behind when the only ones with any kind of personality are either dead or a heel by the second act?

Edited by Psychoblue
32 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The idea was that Cole served as the newcomer without knowledge of the world, the audience surrogate.

The problem is that we have Johnny Cage for that.

My guess is that Warner wanted to create their own thing while creating an oc that was related to spoilers

Cole was supposed to be the audience but kano was realllly the audience. 

"what the fuck is this shit?" "suck my dick" 😂

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Has anyone bringing up Annihilation watched it recently. I wouldn't recommend doing so because its gutter trash but if you have, you know it's worse than you remember. 

A friend of mine just did and said it's better than 2021 which he saw the night before.  

"At least this movie has a climax..."

Edited by Psychoblue
11 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Just watch the Smoke and Cyrax fights and call it a day.  At the very least I can say those are better than any other fight I saw in 2021.  

The only thing I liked in that movie was Sandra Hess' Sonya. Movie is terrible, I can't even watch it to laugh at how bad it is. People just popping up out of nowhere randomly. Scorpion shows up and just disappears with Kitana for no damned reason never to be seen again. Trash with capital T.

Edit: Smoke and Cyrax? Cyrax fought Sonya and Jax. Smoke fought Sub Zero.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The only thing I liked in that movie was Sandra Hess' Sonya. Movie is terrible, I can't even watch it to laugh at how bad it is. People just popping up out of nowhere randomly. Scorpion shows up and just disappears with Kitana for no damned reason never to be seen again. Trash with capital T.

Edit: Smoke and Cyrax? Cyrax fought Sonya and Jax. Smoke fought Sub Zero.

I know that, that's what I meant lol.  Separate battles.  

25 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

If this movie somehow gets greenlit for a sequel, you know what'll happen.

JOSS WHEDON PRESENTS...MORTAL KOMBAT VS DC UNIVERSE!

Warner is definitely dumb enough to do this. So don’t get surprised when it does happen 

Edited by iStu X
16 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I could see a traditional animated movie, wouldn't hold my breath for live action

This is the only way I could see it be done well. The DC Animated Universe is phenomenal. Not to mention Animated movies have always been able to do a looooooot of things that live action can’t

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

This is the only way I could see it be done well. The DC Animated Universe is phenomenal. Not to mention Animated movies have always been able to do a looooooot of things that live action can’t

Hush sucked

Such a BAD betrayal of the source material.

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

Hush sucked

Such a BAD betrayal of the source material.

Fair enough, but DC generally knocks it out of the park 8/10 with animated features. Can't win em all. They'll drop turds like Brainiac Attacks every blue moon then come with bangers like Flashpoint and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yeah, I will just say that the 2021 MK movie was simply OK. Nothing great or spectacular. Just totally run of the mill. Dunno why Hollywood insists on inserting their own characters into established video game franchises (i.e. Millia Jovovich in both RE AND MH). Kano and Sub Zero are definitely the highlights of this movie, but not much else.

Spoiler

Why kill a bunch of characters before the tournament even begins? LOL

Arcana is such a dumb concept. Like I can understand it being OK to explain some powers like Liu Kang or Sonya, but Kano's eye laser and (even more baffling) Jax's buffed cybernetic arms? GTFO

So Cole was a mediocre MMA fighter but suddenly gets body armor and he becomes a force to be reckoned? Yeah no.

BS on him being a Hasashi.

And DOUBLE BS on him killing Goro. Like that was the part that pissed me off the most about this movie.

Edited by Lantis

The MK director said Cole was a way to insert the viewer and I really hate when Hollywood does this shit. MK is so lore heavy you could've basically started during the tournament and just explain things via quick flashbacks, no need for unnecessary characters.

Spoiler

Lol at marketing using the word tournament and no actual one takes place.

Cole was mandated by WB because they're dumb.

That being said, the director and writer couldn't play to Lewis Tan's fighting/stuntman background so that he could look more impressive in the fights. In both action and character, Cole failed.

Anyhoo, COVID is a stronger ally to MK. It made almost as much as MK 1995 , but in crazy pandemic  times, that is considered good.

4 hours ago, OrochiJ said:

The MK director said Cole was a way to insert the viewer and I really hate when Hollywood does this shit. MK is so lore heavy you could've basically started during the tournament and just explain things via quick flashbacks, no need for unnecessary characters.

Hide contents

Lol at marketing using the word tournament and no actual one takes place.

LOL the plot of the movie didn't give a fuck of you were new. They went in like.. You all know what's up.. Let's get this shit going 😂

The only explanation they gave was for scorpion and subzero. 

They didn't care if you didn't know who Tsang tsung was, who the fuck the elder gods were.. Why the fuck mileena was 😂

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

My favorite thing so far about the mk movie is that everyone who knows the lore of MK fucking hates it while everyone else thinks an amazing action film. 

LOL really? 90% of my feed knows the mk lore and know it's gonna be a shitty b movie and enjoy it for that. 

Just now, DangerousJ said:

One thing I was wondering..

How did Subzero manage to live to be 400 years old?

My theories:

1) His ice powers allow him to age very slowly.

2) Shang Tsung granted him immortality at some point.

We don't know how time works in out world... Possibly Quan chi in disguise. The director/writer knew that lore and mentioned it in a video

16 minutes ago, iStu X said:

The majority of my social media is people tearing it apart. Lol

I'm never sure what to feel when remakes fail. Does it matter if we don't like it.. Or should kids and under21 year old be the measuring stick? They're gonna buy the toys and all the merch not us 

What I don't like about reboots failing like this is that it always takes, at bare minimum, 3 years before they try anything again. And the studio will probably stick their dick in there where it doesn't belong either. So, we just have to hope they do things better with a sequel.

If they're going to do live action MK, I wish like hell they could at least put it in the hands of competent writers/directors. It says something that I got sad when that bomb-ass remix of the MK theme played at the end. Like, I wish that could have topped off a better movie.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

One thing I was wondering..

How did Subzero manage to live to be 400 years old?

My theories:

1) His ice powers allow him to age very slowly.

2) Shang Tsung granted him immortality at some point.

That bugged me too, but I just assume 2 if Sub is Shang's best warrior.

What bugs me way more than that is Cole's plan near the end.

Spoiler

You mean to tell me Raiden never thought of that shit in 500 years somehow? I'm not a master tactician, but if I'm a God with Raiden's level of powers, of course I'm leveling the playing field like that against someone who cheats at every opportunity. Just transport people to spots where it can be one on one.

Edited by axeman61
43 minutes ago, iStu X said:

This isn’t even remotely true and you know it. We’re still little dumb nerds but now the only person to tell us that we can’t buy toys are our bills. 

Kids will out buy us because of expendable income. I doubt adults out buy action figures compared to kids. And I mean regular action figures not hq collectibles. I also doubt adults would out buy kids for merch in terms of shirts and back packs ect. Expendable income can't be understated 

15 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

What I don't like about reboots failing like this is that it always takes, at bare minimum, 3 years before they try anything again. And the studio will probably stick their dick in there where it doesn't belong either. So, we just have to hope they do things better with a sequel.

If they're going to do live action MK, I wish like hell they could at least put it in the hands of competent writers/directors. It says something that I got sad when that bomb-ass remix of the MK theme played at the end. Like, I wish that could have topped off a better movie.

That bugged me too, but I just assume 2 if Sub is Shang's best warrior.

What bugs me way more than that is Cole's plan near the end.

Reveal hidden contents

You mean to tell me Raiden never thought of that shit in 500 years somehow? I'm not a master tactician, but if I'm a God with Raiden's level of powers, of course I'm leveling the playing field like that against someone who cheats at every opportunity. Just transport people to spots where it can be one on one.

Money wise or didn't fail at all. Big opening

I dunno if they're gonna follow through with the whole 4 movie deal, but it seems at least one sequel is gonna be approved.

But if they do they gotta do something about that Cole bloke (or just go all in, who knows? Maybe Cole will be the one to beat Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, and Shinnok LOL)

There's a growing movement where people are saying MKA has been dethroned as the King of the Dumpster Fire.  Having watched both recently so that the comparisons are fresh, I look at it like this.

MKA was doomed to fail even before it entered theaters for reasons gone over countless times.  It is Plan 9 From Outer Space bad.

MK 2021 is M Night's Last Airbender bad.  It came in promising the world all the way until the movie actually came out, and then you realized what it actually was.  In many ways that lowers it score far more than what it would have been otherwise.  

It's the same reason my dad, a huge Batman fan, ranks Turbo the Power Rangers movie higher over BvS.  Turbo was a children's movie promising nothing.  BvS was supposed to be a fantastic film and was instead an extremely expensive embarassment.  

Edited by Psychoblue
4 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

If you're judging by handicaps the movies had, who knows how many other ways the studio fucked over MK2021? They introduced Cole. I don't think the tattoo shit was their idea, but they could have their poison in other spots we might not realize.

Even if you remove Cole it wouldn't have saved you from the bad acting, bad pacing, the arcana stupidity, and the characters having less depth than a piece of paper and the only way anyone came off as memorable was if they were being complete wads to each other, along with bad cinematography and an overall bland presentation.

Other than Cole, this is a united vision of mediocrity from everything I've seen and heard thus far.

There's also the fact that actors in the new movie are trying to defend it by virtue signaling, which is not a good idea.  

https://www.cbr.com/mortal-kombat-mehcad-brooks-original-movie-whitewash-casting/?fbclid=IwAR1_XLJIKT1GCMb2DZjRDfCfsvWO8Sqd1SxdxIBCx9nlHgqx6ImZjatsr44

Edited by Psychoblue
On 4/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, Psychoblue said:

I don't know anymore.  Someone else who just saw it brought up that at least Annihilation had a climax and at least one relatable protagonist that you could hitch your wagon to, get a payoff to his conflict and last to the end (Jax). 

I'll give you that.

I have to knock MK (2021) down below MK Annihilation.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, Psychoblue said:

It's the same reason I defended Monster Hunter, if you didn't like Milla, you had an actual likable protagonist who was funny and charming (Jaa) who you could get behind instead.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Focusing on Jaa portraying Field Commander  is not going to make Monster Hunter movie watchable.

Edited by CDB2k20

Yall comparing MK 2021 with Annihilation? They aren't remotely in the same ball park.

Annihilation is unwatchable, 2021 just needed some kinks ironed out (more developed story, more Scorpion and less Cole) . It's a few hairs away from being good, which a sequel can easily address

can't say the same for Annihilation, which left that series unsalvagable

33 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

People saying MK21 is WORSE than Annihilation are smoking some good herb.

You can say 21 is bad, but Annihilation can be barely classified as a film.

Go watch Stuckmann's Hilariocity video!  

Matt McMuscles has a good video detailing the behind the scenes tomfoolery.

Neither is a film.

A film is something like Lawrence of Arabia.

Terminator 2 is not a film, it is a movie.

It is a good movie.

These MK outings barely qualify as flicks.

Like, hey diddle diddle... except it is somewhere vaguely Africa, The Middle East, or Asia, and the clit got cut off, tragically, levels of whiffed [flick].

Like, that last paragraph was intentionally not funny, to serve as emphasis.

I am loathe to call them motion pictures.

Pictures imply art.

And any motion is to dismiss, as such.

No goal posts, here.

Moving pitchers, maybe.

Go home, Bo' Rai Cho, you're drunk.

Spoiler

The original MK movie is only good when compared to the other two.

And Cage was the best part of it.

I can see why some people liked it, but yeah MK2021 is not a good movie.  They spent more time trying to set up the upcoming films they forgot to make the one shown. Kano is easily the standout. If not for him, this movie would have been hot dog water. I was entertained enough not get mad that I spent 2 hrs that I'll never get back. 

5 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Movie had problems outside of executives adding unnecessary shit, regardless of what we know or don't know about.

I just hope they can really pull it together for a sequel.

This could have easily been an HBO Max miniseries featuring the following characters (per ep). 

Raiden and Shang Tsung

Scorpion and Sub-Zero

Lui Kang and Kung Lao

Sonya, Jax, and Kano

Season Finale - Mortal Kombat Tournament

Also - I told my wife what it was going to look like with the Jax moment. I laughed for about a solid 10 seconds when it happened. I timecoded the clip 🤣

Spoiler

LOL

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Yeah, Annihilation was just a laughable piece of cinema. The type you can watch multiple times and still find scenes to make fun of.

MK 2021 was just somewhat of a disappointment. Some degree of satisfaction can still be taken from it, though.

I still standby the notion that 1995 MK has not aged particularly well (Goro looks suuuuuper rough, the terrible CGI on Reptile, etc.), but the charisma and connection between the protagonists is a lot more credible and organic than whatever MK 2021 had.

Edited by Lantis
21 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I still standby the notion that 1995 MK has not aged particularly well (Goro looks suuuuuper rough, the terrible CGI on Reptile, etc.), but the charisma and connection between the protagonists is a lot more credible and organic than whatever MK 2021 had.

It may not have aged well in the visuals, but for the core story, it's practically timeless. 

MK2021 will be in the discount bin of forgotten franchise blu-rays before you know it. 

4 hours ago, HD-Man said:

2021 just needed some kinks ironed out (more developed story, more Scorpion and less Cole) . It's a few hairs away from being good, which a sequel can easily address

Some "kinks just needed to be ironed out" is an understatement. 

MK 2021 is a Sindel hair length away from being anywhere near decent.

One word for you.... "arcana"

spacer.png

Edited by CDB2k20