Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Would honestly just prefer a Harley Quinn Isekai, but the rest of the Suicide Squad being in it should be fine. Hope the emphasis on Joker is just them baiting Joker fans... he looks too much like the Syder/Leto version  for me to have any hope for him bringing entertainment to the film. 

I finally saw Flash last night.

Pros:

Sasha Calle as Supergirl and Keaton as Batman. Great in their roles.

The final tomato can scene

Cons:

"Young Barry" is only fun for a for scenes and then becomes grating for me.

While I am not someone to criticize CGI, the CGI is bad. The babies in the hospital look like mannequins.

Most of the emotional moments didnt land for me. I havent seen this incarnation of Flash since 2017 and that was his only main role before this. For emotional beats, I would recommend the 2013 animated Flashpont paradox film (which is much better take on the material) and even the 2014 CW Flash Season 1 ending episode.

X-men DOFP and Avengers Endgame are much better time travel comic stories too.

The cameos didn't wow me much especially Gal,Cavill. 

The pacing felt slow and there could have been one more action scene.

Iris seems wasted.

Overall: It just feels blah and the type of story being told has been done better in other movies/shows. I'm surprised at the praise from random people like Tom Cruise or Stephen King.  

6/10

Edited by DangerousJ

The Flash is pretty bad. The CGI is the worst I've ever seen and the time travel doesn't make much sense. However, it has its moments. Keaton is great and I liked seeing Zod back in action, showing how truly unstoppable he was. And considering he didn't even shed his armor like in Man of Steel, the heroes were more than fucked without Supes. Also, the gag when Barry loses his powers and runs in circles was pretty good.

But I must tell you, there's a scene halfway through the movie recapping Barry's mom death, where Barry as a kid is doing his homework and she sends the dad away to the store... the way the scene plays out is very weird. I felt like she was sending him away so she could fuck Barry. Very poorly written. 4/10. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Good. They completely botched the handling of the Ezra Miller situation and they got what the deserve. 

Gunn wasn't part of DCU when this movie was being made. I feel a bit bad for him. But yeah, they fucked up with this. Not a crazy thought to think "this movie's going to make crazy money regardless", because most superhero flicks did. But they played themselves here. I never thought so many movies would be flopping like this.

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

Gunn wasn't part of DCU when this movie was being made. I feel a bit bad for him. But yeah, they fucked up with this. Not a crazy thought to think "this movie's going to make crazy money regardless", because most superhero flicks did. But they played themselves here. I never thought so many movies would be flopping like this.

As RSG3 said, Gunn cut this movie and every other DC movie off at the knees by announcing a reboot before released. I don't see why that announcement couldn't be made after Aquaman 2 bombs. If you think Ezra Miller can drag down a movie, wait until Amber Heard gets her chance. DC amazes me. Cavill and Gadot are out but they held on to Amber and Ezra. That would be like the 90s Bulls cutting Jordan and Pippen but holding on to Buechler and Longley.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Bro that shit kills me, they let go of the people everyone liked and kept the people everyone like fucking what?

It happened to Cavill twice. I feel bad for his Witcher co-stars. I saw an interview they had with Yennefer, Ciri, and Jaskier's actors/actresses. You could tell none of them where happy about it. They said the right things for the most part but they looked fucking depressed. Hell they only really looked happy when they were talking about much they'll miss Henry. I feel sort of bad for Liam Hemsworth. Ciri's actress said she'd just imagine Geralt was still Henry and Netflix took out a bunch of "He's still Geralt in Season 3" ads. 

The Flash bombed? Oh no! How could this happen? It’s not like:

• Their star has been controversial for years and they didn’t speak of their actions except to say they would play The Flash again in a potential sequel.

• Had to play up the cameos in advertising because of said star’s controversy.

• Do an adaptation of a story that’s already been perfected adapted in an animated movie.

• Used the likeness of dead actors for cameos, at least one that was very poor in taste.

• Written off several other projects, including a Batgirl movie, and keeping this up despite it having troubled production for years.

• Announce a reboot ahead of time, cutting off a lot of interest from potential moviegoers and DC fans.

Now if they did all of that, I could see why’d it bombed.

I still find it ironic that DC was quick to push out Zack Snyder because they thought their movies should be making more at the box office and none of their post Snyder movies did the number of Snyder's. Hell Wonder Woman took the biggest hit without him. WW84 were terrible and all of her cameos were basically her showing up everyone gawking over her for a few minutes and her dipping. Don't get me started on Whedon going Olympic camera man on her in Josstice League.

Side note: I'm not a Snyder is a bastion of greatness guy. I have issues with his takes but the box office is the box office. 

Side note 2: I wish I could see Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad because if the studios hatchet job of BvS was anything to go by, it may have been decent.

16 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I don't, he cut it the movies advertising off at the knees when he announced a reboot before this was even close to coming out lolm.

Waiting until all these movies came out to announce you're replacing Henry Cavill and going in a whole other direction would've pissed people off a lot more.

And what are we talking about with "keeping" Ezra and Amber? They're just in stuff that was going to come out. They're not sticking around.

Well the Amber shit happened before filming on Aquaman 2 even started so they deffinitly kept her, the never said anything about Ezras behaivor and thought we where all gonna just ignore it and see their movie anyway. No, we aren't. They could have condemned his behaivor, said he would be getting replaced in future projects, anything, but they kept completely silent. That's basically keeping him. So yes they did. 

As for Gunn dude telling people the big shared universe movies no longer matter as a shared universe abso-fucking-lutly killed ass loads of interest in these movies. Who gives a shit about a Flashpoint story whose ramifications don't matter? 

I have very little faith in an industry leaders when they stay silent on their big stars horse shit behaivor, and this isn't some "He got drunk and acted a fool" type shit, Ezra kidnapped people. Ezra stole people passports. Ezra threatened people's lives. There's a good fucking chance he groomed a child. 

Not a word on this from an industry that just offered its actors the lucrative deal of having their faces scanned and then used in perpetuity for a one time dog shit fee. 

I have 0 faith they where gonna do the right thing if Flash had been a success. 

Edited by RSG3
6 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Waiting until all these movies came out to announce you're replacing Henry Cavill and going in a whole other direction would've pissed people off a lot more.

And what are we talking about with "keeping" Ezra and Amber? They're just in stuff that was going to come out. They're not sticking around.

I disagree. The firstly the whole massive Cavill backlash is entirely their fault. They basically dragged ass on any new Superman content hoping he'd quit instead of having the balls to just say we aren't bringing you back. This aggravated fans who were salty he wasn't coming back. Then DC after years BS decided to bring him back. They gave him permission to tell the fans and then they announced they were placing him shortly thereafter.

TLDR The way they've handled Cavill's Superman makes it difficult for them to piss people off more. The way they announced he was back to immediately change their minds. Hard to top that level of salt.

Side Note: They could have replaced both Ezra and Amber before their movies started filming. Ezra's first incident was caught on video in 2020. The situation with Amber is even worse because not only could they have replaced her before. And wanted to, no including the Depp stuff, per Walter Hamada's testimony in that case. After the Depp case, they have more than enough time to recast and re-film her scenes. She was only in like 20 minutes of the movie, so unlike Ezra, re-filming scenes after the fact was tenable. 

@RSG3Hollywood's meh reaction to Ezra's grooming allegations and their full court press against the Sound of Freedom is NOT a good look. I've watch a couple of reviews of that movie from people that aren't conservative and both of them said their isn't any QAnon stuff in it all. Yet that's all the reviews talk about. People are really dying on hill against a movie about child trafficking because they don't like lead actor. I think Tom Cruise is bat shit crazy but he's not pulling a Danny Masterson, so I go to his films and enjoy them.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Everything I've heard about Sound of Freedom is that it's incredibly inaccurate, portray child wdx trafficking innacuratly, and turns its main character into a super hero when he's supposed to be a man. 

Those sound like reasonable complaints to me, but I haven't seen the movie so I have no opinion. 

The rest I've heard is that Caviesel is an annoying asshole who prostletises to people on set, even when they ask him not to, and that would annoy the absolute piss out of me. 

I have 0 interest in Sound of Freedom tho so I don't care about its reception. I'm not even sure why you mentioned it honestly beyond me mentioning Ezra possibly being a groomer...

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Everything I've heard about Sound of Freedom is that it's incredibly inaccurate, portray child wdx trafficking innacuratly, and turns its main character into a super hero when he's supposed to be a man. 

Those sound like reasonable complaints to me, but I haven't seen the movie so I have no opinion. 

The rest I've heard is that Caviesel is an annoying asshole who prostletises to people on set, even when they ask him not to, and that would annoy the absolute piss out of me. 

I have 0 interest in Sound of Freedom tho so I don't care about its reception. I'm not even sure why you mentioned it honestly beyond me mentioning Ezra possibly being a groomer...

Most reviews I've seen for the movie read like a Kotaku video game a few lines on the game and then rant about unrelated nonsense. The irony is that the only reason most people know about is because of their rants. It's a lesser version of the Hogwarts Legacy situation. All the bluster drives more people to watch it. I've heard more about QAnon and conspiracy theories than I have about Tim Ballard allegedly being Special Agent Frank Dux. 

3 hours ago, Lantis said:

You would think that with all these insane budgets they would at least put some effort into some half decent CGI effects but nah....settle with those PS2 graphics I guess

In all honesty, VFX artists need to be going on strike. Studios hire them, pay them peanuts, and don't give them the time to complete the work. The reason shit looks half done is because it is half done.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
58 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

God damn, wtf lmao. 

Three sets up leadership during the film combined with standard WB incompetence. I mean they couldn't even do the obvious thing and replace Amber Heard. I don't I've ever seen a petition get this many signatures before. 

https://www.change.org/p/dc-entertainment-remove-amber-heard-from-aquaman-2

After Hamada left, the interim leadership decided set their film slate up to be able to connect current to current DCEU if they chose to move forward. Hence all the Cavill, Gadot, and Affleck cameos. Gunn and Safran game in and decided to yank all of it. They should have left well enough alone. If they did, there would be reasonable way to lay any failures at their feet. By messing with films that were greenlit and basically done before they were given the reigns, they've made themselves culpable for their failures.

55 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I think they're trying too hard not to fuck up the sequel to the one billion dollar movie they've made in a while.

I can't agree with that take. As I said above, they couldn't even hit the "drop Amber Heard ball" off of the tee. They can't be trying too hard not to fuck up if they missed that open lay up.....and why am I making a bunch of sports metaphors? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's sending some mixed signals. So the Snyderverse still exists? Is this supposed to be a "new" version of WW (who for some reason is played by the same actress)? Is it a sequel or a reboot?

Not to mention how many versions of Batman are going right now?

- Affleck Batman

- Pattinson Batman

- Whoever TF the one in the Joker movies is supposed to be

Gunnverse hasn't even started and it's already fuckin up