Stage Select

The DC Movie & TV Thread

8 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I said supernatural, but I meant getting powers from science too. Though I guess that would go down easier if they did do a shapeshifter. Just some science experiment gone terribly wrong.

Yea, I'm just pointing out the difference between the two from a narrative standpoint. While science in the DC universe is basically magic, to the actual narrative it isn't and you could more easily sell a weird science experiment problem in that universe before you could a magical one, least right now anyway.

Hell would be a halfway decent way to get Manbat into the movie to honestly.

Edited by RSG3
6 hours ago, axeman61 said:

The movie released March 17th, and wasn't one of those simultaneous digital releases. Was it that bad?

I haven't seen it, the reviews have been lukewarm at best. It is weird since the movie still is in theaters, the Flash won't be out until mid June and the next Warner Bros movie release is Renfield.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, Gimpy said:

They are really trying to make Batgirl a thing. Whether you agree with the decision or not, one thing is clear. They would have released it if they thought it would make them money. They choose to eat 90 million dollars for a reason. They should have lead with the removal of content from HBO Max. This isn't a Netfilx situation. Warner Discovery removed Warner Discovery owned content from a Warner Discovery streaming service.

14 minutes ago, iStu X said:

DC announcing their shake up ahead of major releases was just stupid. I think that had a significant effect on their box office. The downside to a connected universe is that if you tell people you are going to reboot they have no incentive to see your current films. On top of that, Ezra Menace has suffered no repercussions from his crime spree against women. 

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

My favorite thing about the Shazam 2 movie is Levy somehow trying to blame The Rock for it failing.

Ah yes, a 30 second cameo after the credits from a character who's movie also failed definitely would've changed the trajectory of your movie.....

You can see where Levy was coming from…to a point. One of the reasons the rock isn’t used in F&F anymore is cause he had beef with a lot of the tenured cast as he wanted more focus on him after just a few scenes. He got a spin off that no one gave a shit about. 🤷‍♂️ So there’s that I guess. 

Also the more info that came out the more it felt like the rock was trying to kneecap anything dc related that wasn’t some how drawing a line back to him.

You really can’t have the hero of your new cinematic universe be a  character who literally started world war 3 and has unapologetically killed thousands if not millions of people in the comics 

Edited by iStu X

....or it bombed cuz it was bad and Gunn prematurely announced the DCEU was being rebooted causing ppl to see Shazam 2 as pointless since it wouldn't matter after everything is erased (also they did a shit job of promoting Shazam as well, even spoiled a cameo in a trailer to to try to gain viewrs)

Im not saying Dwayne hasnt made some questionable career choices but he aint to blame on this one, DC was honestly a sinking ship even before Black Adam

Edited by HD-Man
3 hours ago, HD-Man said:

....or it bombed cuz it was bad and Gunn prematurely announced the DCEU was being rebooted causing ppl to see Shazam 2 as pointless since it wouldn't matter after everything is erased (also they did a shit job of promoting Shazam as well, even spoiled a cameo in a trailer to to try to gain viewrs)

Im not saying Dwayne hasnt made some questionable career choices but he aint to blame on this one, DC was honestly a sinking ship even before Black Adam

This was a huge factor too, yes. Announcing it as a hard reboot to the already disheveled continuity was either going to be a deterrent or a selling point. It was 100% a deterrent which caused damage to every project coming down the pipeline. Shazam 2 included. 

There’s a lot of blame to share, I 100% agree but a lot of it IS on Dwayne. 

Edited by iStu X
6 hours ago, iStu X said:

You can see where Levy was coming from…to a point. One of the reasons the rock isn’t used in F&F anymore is cause he had beef with a lot of the tenured cast as he wanted more focus on him after just a few scenes. He got a spin off that no one gave a shit about. 🤷‍♂️ So there’s that I guess. 

Also the more info that came out the more it felt like the rock was trying to kneecap anything dc related that wasn’t some how drawing a line back to him.

You really can’t have the hero of your new cinematic universe be a  character who literally started world war 3 and has unapologetically killed thousands if not millions of people in the comics 

The only person he had beef with was Vin Diesel. Who is also known for his ego. Fast 4 was the original concept for F&F2. Ice Cube was in xXx2 because of Vin's ego. All that said, Black Adam having no crossover with Shazam is just plain dumb. Not why it failed though. It failed because DC, in their infinite wisdom, announced a reboot a head of time. Cavill was supposed to be cameo in Shazam 2, DC cut that cameo. DC has just been one continual cluster fuck. I had my issues with some of the things Snyder wanted to do, but at least he had a singular vision. For all the shit he got, Wonder Woman has been trash without his involvement. WW in Josstice League and WW84 was hot garbage.

Lets say Dwayne is to blame for Shazams failure (he's not but lets say hypothetically), who gave him the authority to do what he did? He can't just make a DC movie unless someone gave him the keys

At the end of the day, the buck stops with DC,  who's been a shitshow as early as Batman vs Superman. At worst, Dwayne only added to the trainwreck that was already there.

Edit: LMAO there's a rumor going that WB is in fact blaming it on Gunn's premature announcement. Crazy how I just mentioned this, we'll see if anything is confirmed later 

https://thedirect.com/article/warner-bros-james-gunn-dc-reboot-shazam-2-performance

Edited by HD-Man

Titans still a frustrating, questionable written show but

Spoiler

It was great seeing it it crossover with the multiverse. Beast Boy gettin to view Swamp Thing Smallville, Teen Titans Go, Shazam and CW Flash.

But having him actually interact with CW's Stargirl and Grant Fuckin Morrison of all ppl was SICK. And him ending up in the Doom Patrol world was icing on the cake, can't wait to see how that episode goes

Also, fuckin Bwanna Beast being heavily featured in the episode wasnt on my bucket list lol