Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

What the fuck is up with people calling out Sonicfox on the random?  What the fuck is going on lmao.  I mean I don't even know if SF has hands in MK2 but I highly doubt that this dude coukd actually fight someone who knows what their doing.  I'm hoping someone calls him out somehow and it somehow gets recorded but I doubt it.

he's the top MK player so it makes sense I guess. That game has changed so much through the years though that someone who came up on stuff like MK9/X and someone who came up on MK2 are basically playing different games.

17 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

he's the top MK player so it makes sense I guess. That game has changed so much through the years though that someone who came up on stuff like MK9/X and someone who came up on MK2 are basically playing different games.

I mean I get he's a top player in current MK but its just funny that some rando will go on a rant and be like "This top player ain't shit.  I'd body his ass for free."  The second time is even more funny because it was a conversation that didn't even really involve SF and he just popped it in there. 

54 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I mean I get he's a top player in current MK but its just funny that some rando will go on a rant and be like "This top player ain't shit.  I'd body his ass for free."  The second time is even more funny because it was a conversation that didn't even really involve SF and he just popped it in there. 

It's the 50Cent principle. Call out the toppest people and if they flinch, it ups your own profile I guess. I bet that dude hasn't played an MK game beyond VANILLA MK3 lol

18 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Have you guys played a remake of a game (and I mean a REMAKE of an older game, not a reboot) that was actually better than and improved upon the original? If so, what game(s)?

Hmmmm...REmake 4, LoZ: LA remake, Metroid Samus Returns, Metroid Zero Mission, LoZ: OoT3D I wanna say REmake 2 but I technically haven't played that.

I want to say FF7R but its weird that I can't objectively or subjectively say that it is when I'm thinking about it and I love just about everything about that game.  I think it might have to be because of how the story is being handled since its kind of a remake...but its like an alternate timeline?  Personally think the compromise between action and turnbased is still probably the best and wish that future games in the franchise would take it and expand on it.

You are also making me realize that I haven't played nearly as many remakes as I thought I had.

Edited by Sonichuman
30 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Have you guys played a remake of a game (and I mean a REMAKE of an older game, not a reboot) that was actually better than and improved upon the original? If so, what game(s)?

Based on what I have installed or at hand on my shelves.

Super Mario All Stars

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

MediEvil

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion

REmake 2

DuckTales: Remastered

I would say that the Final Fantasy NES and SNES games that were released on the PS1

Chrono Trigger on PS1

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (which is on the fine line of remaster and remake)

Halo: The Master Chief Collection (But TBH, I only played the 1st Original Halo, so my expoerience with the rest of the Bungie games is only with this Collection)

Ico

Shadow of the Colossus

Kimi ga Nozumu Eien (is a Visual novel)

Lunar The Silver Star (not many know, but the ps1/saturn game is a remake of a sega cd game)

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Shadow of the Beast

Tales of Phantasia

FF7 Remake is up there as well, but like Sonichuman said, being an incomplete remake and possibly a new timeline is still up in the air.

The new VF5 is actually a remake on the Yakuza engine, but dunno if that counts since the game is not better or worse, although we lost a lot of clothing options and game modes, but is a remake that made the series available on new consoles

Edited by Hecatom

I thought the Shadow of the Colossus remake (and HD remaster) broke how climbing and stamina worked from the original PS2 version? Basically you're forced into holding on more when the colossus' move? Maybe I'm remembering wrong

I actually can't think of a remake I've played that I liked over the original, thinking about it I can't actually think of a many remakes I've played at all. Oh wait REmake 1 is amazing, I liked REmake 2 a whole lot but I feel it falls short of the OG RE2, it's not paced as well imo and the scenarios of the OG games are a lot better. 

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is basically a remake and a much improved version of the original flash version.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Have you guys played a remake of a game (and I mean a REMAKE of an older game, not a reboot) that was actually better then and improved upon the original? If so, what game(s)?

One example I can confidently say is Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. The original was a solid, if very small, game. I’m sure fans would have loved it if it just came back with updated graphics, but the team did much more than that.

Bringing back characters throughout the franchise (including ones that had a single appearance), adding in more courses from Nitro Kart and completely new ones, being able to play any character in the single player instead of only the original 8, loads of customization, and the ability to have a ton of free content as long as you actually play the game. They even fixed some of the criticisms with their updates like making it even easier to get everything from a season by adding in more challenges and adding the ability to change a character’s class so you can play whoever you want without having to resort to using the worst class in the game.

CTR: Nitro Fueled was so much better than the original in my opinion. They truly went above and beyond for the remake.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Chrono Trigger on PS1

But can it really be considered a remake? All it did was add some anime cutscenes (and the ending linking it more to Chrono Cross).

But the ones so far I've played:

- FInal Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (PS 1/GBA)

- KH Chain of Memories (PS 2)

- CTR Nitro Fueled

- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

- Metroid: Zero Mission

- Super Mario All-Stars

- RE1make (haven't played the other RE remakes yet)

Not really sure if good or not:

- MGS 1 Twin Snakes (the game LOOKS prettier for sure, but the new cutscenes are a bit over the top and the Codec conversations seem more wooden)

Definitely worse:

- Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)

32 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

One example I can confidently say is Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. The original was a solid, if very small, game. I’m sure fans would have loved it if it just came back with updated graphics, but the team did much more than that.

Bringing back characters throughout the franchise (including ones that had a single appearance), adding in more courses from Nitro Kart and completely new ones, being able to play any character in the single player instead of only the original 8, loads of customization, and the ability to have a ton of free content as long as you actually play the game. They even fixed some of the criticisms with their updates like making it even easier to get everything from a season by adding in more challenges and adding the ability to change a character’s class so you can play whoever you want without having to resort to using the worst class in the game.

CTR: Nitro Fueled was so much better than the original in my opinion. They truly went above and beyond for the remake.

Word, and the way they reworked the boost mechanic so you can always keep blue fire/maximum fire on the stage instead of losing it if you touch another boost part makes it more engaging when driving.

21 hours ago, Lantis said:

But can it really be considered a remake? All it did was add some anime cutscenes (and the ending linking it more to Chrono Cross).

I consider it a remake because they had to remake a lot of code beyond what a port entails due the difference in architecture and because they also reworked albeit slightly the graphics due the hardware specs/limitations

On 7/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, DoctaMario said:

Castlevania: Dracula Chronicles X

Castlevania rebirth

Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Samus Returns

AM2R

Super Mario All-Stars

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane trilogy

Crash Team Racing nitro fueled

Trials of Mana

Mega Man X Maverick Hunter

Mega Man Powered Up

Resident Evil remake

Resident Evil 2 remake

Resident Evil 4 remake

On 7/8/2023 at 10:45 PM, DoctaMario said:

It's the 50Cent principle. Call out the toppest people and if they flinch, it ups your own profile I guess. I bet that dude hasn't played an MK game beyond VANILLA MK3 lol

Yo if we had KI Gold on N64 with a BLACK controller like I had back in the day, I could take 5 matches out of 10 from (Insert KI champion name here). 

Joking of course, my hands can't take that punishment these days. Fucking KI Gold was my first N64 game and I played it so much I got a blister trying to find the shit they cut from KI2 arcade I thought would be in it.

Sweetheart there's only one real Street Fighter, and this isn't it.
Those who were around in 1991 know... I maybe be in my 40's but OG Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2 are both legendary, and it wasn't all about graphics back then even though the sprites were groundbreaking... 

You had to actually be a skilled player to execute a 4+ hit combo in Street Fighter...

But they've dumbed it down now where instead of actually doing every single move yourself, you press a button and get a multi hit combo.

This is ok I guess, but the so called "tournament or best" players would get absolutely wrecked in say Street Fighter 2 by me.

Thats a standing invite to anyone that wants that smoke.

I remember when the Street Fighter HD Remix was offered on psn years ago, and I hadn't even touched a controller in 20 years, and I handed the 3rd highest ranked player his ass.

I got a trophy for Street Fighter 2 from GALLOPING GHOST...
Thats an arcade for the little youngsters that may not know.

I am not feeling this bs Modenr Control system that's happening.

I know you probably won't respond. That's fine.

But it took way more skill back then than it does now.

I'll stand by what I said.

Anyone that wants to challenge me at the real Street Fighter 2 or Street Fighter HD Remix will get washed...
That sissy iDom included... and buddy is a complete flamer.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Sweetheart there's only one real Street Fighter, and this isn't it.
Those who were around in 1991 know... I maybe be in my 40's but OG Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2 are both legendary, and it wasn't all about graphics back then even though the sprites were groundbreaking... 

You had to actually be a skilled player to execute a 4+ hit combo in Street Fighter...

But they've dumbed it down now where instead of actually doing every single move yourself, you press a button and get a multi hit combo.

This is ok I guess, but the so called "tournament or best" players would get absolutely wrecked in say Street Fighter 2 by me.

I remember when the Street Fighter HD Remix was offered on psn years ago, and I hadn't even touched a controller in 20 years, and I handed the 3rd highest ranked player his ass.

I got a trophy for Street Fighter 2 from GALLOPING GHOST...

I am not feeling this bs Modenr Control system that's happening.

Anyone that wants to challenge me at the real Street Fighter 2 or Street Fighter HD Remix will get washed...
That sissy iDom included... and buddy is a complete flamer.

LOOOL. Are you trolling that MKII player that posted on Twitter about SonicFox LOOOL

LOOOL

I bet that MKII guy can't even do these combos

That MKII guy would get washed like this:

Edited by Jion_Wansu

ah, if only D4 was made more like the console version of D3, and offline was possible.... another thing I was just thinking about that's gone now in 4 is the "nemesis" monster.  This is yet another nitpick for me; the PC side of the fanbase doesn't know probably since they never had it in their (gimped) version of the game.  I guess there wasn't much room for it in terms of the overall design concept for part 4 since there is now this strong focus on it being an effectively forced multiplayer kind of gaming experience...and that in itself is a shame, imo.  

...but that concept was so cool...the ominous humming and tribal-sounding drums start up, then a red portal opens out of nowhere, and there it is, along with a shadowy clone of the player character it killed earlier.  If it kills you, it goes back into the portal...becoming more powerful after each player-character kill.  I love that shit, man.   I'd get my characters killed on purpose sometimes to send a "nemesis" over to friends' game worlds...it also drops a guaranteed legendary item when you kill it though.

This concept should've been expanded on in part 4; there's potential for more greatness with that concept.  If I were producing a game I'd absolutely steal that idea and build on it.

anyway, more on season 1... just now...

Edited by MillionX

Gonna leave the copypasta template here if anyone decides to use it

Spoiler

Sweetheart there's only one real <Insert Game Here>, and this isn't it.
Those who were around in 199X know... I maybe be in my 40's but OG <Insert Game Here> and <Insert Game Here> are both legendary, and it wasn't all about graphics back then even thugh the digitized graphics were groundbreaking...

You had to actually be a skilled player to execute a 4+ hit combo in <Insert Game Here>...

This is ok I guess, but the so called "tournament or best" players would get absolutely wrecked in say <Insert Game Here> by me.

I remember when the <Insert Game Here> was offered on psn years ago, and I hadn't even touched a controller in 20 years, and I handed the 3rd highest ranked player his ass.

I got a trophy for <Insert Game Here> from TIME OUT...

I am not feeling this bs <describe system of new game> system that's happening.

Anyone that wants to challenge me at the real <Insert Game Here> or <Insert Game Here> will get washed...
That sissy <Insert to player here> included... and buddy is a complete flamer.