Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

26 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Does the combat open up later in FF16? Seems super basic but I'm only going off the demo, which admittedly I am enjoying so far

Yes. 

Spoiler

You absorb the essence of other Eikon’s which gives you new fighting styles you can switch back and forth from ala DMC. 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Does the combat open up later in FF16? Seems super basic but I'm only going off the demo, which admittedly I am enjoying so far

Once you beat the demo, it opens up an "the real demo".

Spoiler

The demo opens up an option where you play as Clive with three Eikons equipped.. It's in the demo, but I tagged it to be safe.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Once you beat the demo, it opens up an "the real demo".

Hide contents

The demo opens up an option where you play as Clive with three Eikons equipped.. It's in the demo, but I tagged it to be safe.

Wait, WHAT? I thought that final boss and cutscene was it. Let me load that back up

Starfield could be the biggest PC game of the year. It also might be heading for a lot of unnecessary annoyances on that platform. Bethesda revealed an exclusive PC partnership with card maker AMD, causing a mini-revolt among PC gamers in the process over concerns the massive open world RPG will face stuttering issues and not support competing features like DLSS and XeSS as a result.

“We’ve built all new technology for [Starfield] with Creation Engine 2 and working with AMD on that to make it look great and run great has been really really special, “ director Todd Howard said in a promotional video for the collaboration posted on YouTube. “We have AMD engineers in our code base working on FSR2 upscaling and image processing and it looks incredible.” Weirdly, the announcement was light on specifics, including framerate targets on PC and details about ray-tracing support.

17 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Starfield could be the biggest PC game of the year. It also might be heading for a lot of unnecessary annoyances on that platform. Bethesda revealed an exclusive PC partnership with card maker AMD, causing a mini-revolt among PC gamers in the process over concerns the massive open world RPG will face stuttering issues and not support competing features like DLSS and XeSS as a result.

From my understanding, Quakecon should have a playable demo at the event (which I am looking forward to trying out).

Furukawa says they are planning to make it a "smooth transition" for Switch players to the next console

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-plans-smooth-transition-from-switch-to-next-console-by-using-players-nintendo-accounts

This is pertaining more so to the Nintendo account more so than anything physical so don't look at this as thinking that the next console will be physical BC.

TotK has outsold RE4 and and SW:JS physically, only game beating it out in sales this year at the moment is Hogwarts Legacy

https://www.ign.com/articles/zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-sold-more-copies-physically-than-resident-evil-4-or-star-wars-jedi-survivor-did-period

Just as reminder, NIntendo doesn't report of digital sales of their games for...whatever reason.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Resurrecting Tomb Raider in "Dangerous" new tv series

https://www.ign.com/articles/phoebe-waller-bridge-resurrecting-tomb-raider-dangerous-new-tv-series

Supposedly she played the Tomb Raider games during the pandemic...doesn't say which ones or anything so no telling if this series will sku older or reboot

Microsoft's docs say that they would have kept Sega Multiplatform if they had purchased them

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-said-it-would-have-kept-sega-games-multiplatform-after-proposed-buyout

Matt Booty said that Microsoft could 'Spend Sony out of Business' in 2019 email

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-studios-head-said-microsoft-could-spend-sony-out-of-business-in-2019-email

Matt also took shots at Amazon and Google

Xbox Acquired Ninja Theory for $117 Mill

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-acquired-hellblade-developer-ninja-theory-for-117-million

That's...a lot for them...

Jim Ryan admits on the stand that Starfield being Xbox Exclusive is not anti competitve

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-boss-jim-ryan-starfield-xbox-exclusivity-is-not-anti-competitive

Jim Ryan claims that many publishers don't like Xbox Game Pass and view it as "value destructive"

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-boss-jim-ryan-many-publishers-believe-xbox-game-pass-is-value-destructive

After Microsoft announced plans to buy Acti-Blizz, Spencer sent a letter over to Jim in May advising of plans for certain games to remain on Playstation, Jim sent back a counter offer and then apparently Spencer sent back an email that set off alarm bells

After Xbox announced its intention to acquire Activision in early 2022, Ryan said Xbox boss Phil Spencer reached out to him in May 2022 with a potential letter agreement and list of games Xbox would commit to keeping on PlayStation. Ryan said this interaction with Spencer did not adequately address his concerns about Activision games on PlayStation moving forward.

Ryan said he wasn't that concerned about the transaction in May 2022, but Spencer's response to Sony's counterproposal in August 2022 "set the alarm bells ringing". This email from Spencer caused major concern within Sony's camp, but the contents of the email were not shared today in court.

A major concern for Sony is that Xbox will put Call of Duty on Game Pass, de-incentivizing players to access the title on PlayStation.

“We believe that Microsoft intends to use Call of Duty to disadvantage PlayStation in terms of the availability or the manner in which the game is made available on PlayStation consoles, and to drive PlayStation gamers to the Xbox platforms, specifically Game Pass.”

1 hour ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

so, good news/bad news stuff. 

Good news is that I preordered the Xenoblade 3 OST when it went up for sale. Bad news is that we have about a month left here before we move into a new apartment, and it releases Mid-August iirc.

Get your mail forwarded to the new address at the post office. 

Circana (Formerly NPD)  for May 2023

Hardware:  Switch took 1st place for May in both dollar sales and units.   PS5 still continues to lead for 2023 for both units and dollars.

Top 20 for May 2023:  LoZ: TotK, Hogwarts Legacy, SW:JS, CoD MW 2 2022, MLB The Show 23,  MK8D, REmake 4, Far Cry 6 (.....????  This game was 49 last month.  Wonder what brought about the new sales), Elden Ring, Minecraft, LoZ: BotW  (this game had dropped to 28 last month, not surprised at the resurgence), Smash Ult, Dat Madden 23, Dad of War Ragnarok, NSMBUD, Pokemon Sc/Vi,  Lego SW:TSS, SM3DW + BF. 

Top 20 for the year: Hogwarts Legacy, LoZ: TotK, CoD MW 2 2022, SW:JS, REmake 4, MLB The Show 23, Dead Island 2,  FIFA 23, Dead Space 2023, Dat Madden 23, Elden Ring, LoU Part 1, MK8D, Dad of War Ragnarok, Minecraft, Pokemon Sc/Vi, Fire Emblem Engage, Sonic Frontiers, Forspoken, NBA 2K23

I am soooo fucking salty right now lol. 

So I'm doing The Crucible in Darksider 3. Its a Bloody Palace mode where you lose all the shit yoylu get from it you die before one of the checkpoint floors that lets you bail early with your winnings.. Get to Floor 25, the first checkpoint floor, ondefeat the boss and give out a big sigh, and his fucking death animation explodes and kills me....thats some massive horse shit. I've never even seen this boss before I didn't knownhe did that. Fuck you Gunfire Games lol. What a huge fucking middle finger to the player lol

Edited by RSG3

Oh yeah the nightmare dungeons are the place to be in D4 since yesterday's patch (*main thing some fans are hyped about is they bumped up the exp gain significantly in nightmare dungeons and the Hell Tide events)... my darkness build necro is up to level 69 (niiiice) now, closing in on 70 quickly.  The blood-build necro is about 54 or 55 now.  I haven't played my druid characters in quite a while.  The barbarian I made continues to be used as just a mule character.... that's another thing; they should definitely add more stash tabs for the shared inventory.  It's easy to completely fill up on items long before you even get close to endgame content.  At this point there's times when I'm just leaving items on the ground since I'm overloaded on gear already and have plenty of gold (couple million, and I'm sure others would consider that "low"; my friend already has like 7 or 8 mil gold; he did way more item selling while I was mostly salvaging stuff for materials) and materials from salvaging.

Raxx is on the job of course with the tier list rankings of the nightmare dungeons in terms of which are ideal spots to get that juicy exp:

Edited by MillionX

Quick question for anyone deep into FFXVI. I know they said there are no DLC plans, but there seems to be setup for one. I haven't beaten it yet, but....

Spoiler

I have all the Eikons.  Bahamat, Ifrit, Ramuh, Shiva and Titan. Yet, they mention Leviathan. Actually call her "Leviathan The Lost" but she isn't in the game. She's on all the murals spread out through the game in the ruins. There isn't even room on skill tree for another Eikon. Also the way they talk about the continent of Ash. They say that Waloed is the only country left on the continent of Ash. Which makes me think that maybe Leviathan's Eikon was the leader of a lost country on Ash that was consumed by the blight. The entirety of the southern part of Ash is covered in the Blight. Based on how Storm is laid out, there would be room for two countries in that region. So, I wouldn't be surprised if something dropped featuring Leviathan. They called her "Leviathan The Lost" not  "The Deceased", so she's probably out there somewhere. Maybe on another continent or something. Sorry amateur writer in me running wild with possibilities. 

There's a few things beginning to bother me about FF16 narratively. The overwhelming focus on Clive. I understand he's the MC so most things will focus on him but the game isn't letting anyone else shine unless it's Cid.

Jill is too passive. She's clearly been through some shit but the game doesn't seem interested in telling us her story. Hopefully she will get a character arc to correct this.

There needs to be more character moment stuff in the hideaway. I don't need for a major story beat to happen for me to want to be around these guys.

D4---well here we go with another hot take where I'm probably the only fan that has this opinion... I prefer the way "blight" darkness looked before the patch.  They did not mention it specifically but it has been changed now, so everyone's thrilled that yes....you can actually see things despite a necro's use of that power in the area.  

The good way to fix it seemed obvious to me... just turn down the opacity of the effect on the screen of people who are not the necro that's casting it... similar to how anyone's minions/summons have the transparent "ghostly" look on other people's screen... so that visually speaking it's not cluttering things up.  Right now it looks odd... like that's not even "darkness" magic anymore....just looks like strange, shimmering pools of clear "goop" on the floor, instead of actual darkness....and it's probably not even dangerous (in terms of visibility) for the one casting it unless you're talking about the toughest endgame-level areas of the game where elites are casting dangerous abilities constantly (*and if you're just standing there in your darkness area like a fool just waiting to be hit with something)....besides it's stupid to be standing around in 1 spot for too long anyway, especially when you know the enemies are about to cast something dangerous like a field of frozen effects soon.  Personally, I was always casting the corpse tendrils anyway while having blood mist form at the ready just in case the enemies cast anything especially dangerous that would've killed me.

Good thing they didn't nerf the power of the darkness builds at least.

Edited by MillionX
On 6/27/2023 at 7:05 PM, Sonichuman said:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Resurrecting Tomb Raider in "Dangerous" new tv series

https://www.ign.com/articles/phoebe-waller-bridge-resurrecting-tomb-raider-dangerous-new-tv-series

That's a hard pass for me.

On 6/27/2023 at 7:05 PM, Sonichuman said:

Jim Ryan claims that many publishers don't like Xbox Game Pass and view it as "value destructive"

While that may be true, plenty of them are happy to take the MS bag of cash. I personally don't care for GamePass.

Microsoft CEO says he wants to end exclusives but blames Sony

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/28/23777585/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-console-exclusives-sony-xbox-competition

I bet you guys do want to end exclusives.  Sony is not to blame on this here it's part of competition in ANY space really.  If you're trying to compete in a space you have to provide something to entice people to what it is that you do or your platform period.  I know there are definitely some people out there that don't like exclusives at all in a general sense but it's a necessary evil.  If every fast food restaurant cooked their food the exact same way and had the exact same menu there would be no reason to go to any one specific restaurant and things would get boring pretty quickly.

37 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don’t see myself finishing FFXVI. There’s just too much I dislike about the game. I can’t justify playing it much longer let alone beating it. 

It just doesn’t feel like a final fantasy to me. 

Too action-ey? Curious why you don't like it (haven't bought it yet)

29 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Too action-ey? Curious why you don't like it (haven't bought it yet)

yes. Among other things 

nothing below is spoiler to story  (I don’t think?) but I’m spoiler tagging it anyways. 

Spoiler

The game is far too action based. Which is an immediate turn off to me. It feels like a generic action game with final fantasy slapped onto it. 

There’s no way to specialize Clive. He’s just a dude. He can’t be a black mage, white mage, samurai, etc. he’s just Clive. It’s boring. All the skill trees feel the same too. (Rooks gambit is broke tho). 

there’s no buffs or debuffs what so ever outside of some items that are always readily available in the HUB area of the game. and all they do is increase attack, defense and your limit break gauge. 

soooooo many fucking QTE’s and they’re all horribly paced and immediately suck you out of whatever immersion the game had. 

hunts are back from 12 but they’re boring af. So are side quests. 

Crafting is more or less pointless as is grinding for items as you’re ALWAYS going to have the items to make the best gear available. 

16 suffers a lot from what 13 did. It just feels like one massive corridor. The world of ff16 is absolutely fucking gorgeous and it’s so disheartening that you can’t really explore it. 

Lastly, I personally love exposition dumps and learning about the worlds and characters of games. FF16 got rid of all that and replaced it with a thing called Active Time Lore. Which at certain points you go to a menu to learn about certain things, places and people that are relevant to the current events you’re playing/location you’re in/people you’re with which then gets compiled by a dude in your hub world into tomes. I “get” why the did it. I just absolutely fucking hate it.

I don’t know half the shit in the game is happen or who’s who or why people or evil or wtf. I’m just going through the paces and the paces suck.

Which is a shame cause what I do know about the story the world and its denizens seem awesome. I’d just rather be told about them then have to sift through dozens and dozens of menu pages figuring it all out myself. 

Edited by iStu X
16 hours ago, Hecatom said:

WhatsApp_Image_2023-06-28_at_09.19.54.jp

Last I checked, Cold War had a bug where people could get your IP and DDOS you off their network (CODs). I got hit by it and stopped playing it period. So, it's kinda funny they're offering it for free. Maybe they fixed it.

Edited by axeman61